ONE

Company.

 

“Hey, guys! Look! That’s such a pretty girl! I wonder what she’s doing here.” Eunhyuk pointed at a petite brunette scanning her surroundings. 

“Lee Hyukjae! Stop ogling girls and hurry up! We were supposed to be in room 327 five minutes ago. Now get those feet moving!” barked Leeteuk, ignoring the other boys’ excitement, forever wanting to be in his higher-ups’ good books.

“Aish! Don’t act as if you’re not interested, I saw you taking a peek even before I mentioned it. Anyway, we’re supposed to be there to welcome the new kid aren’t we? What if she’s the one? There’s no point in being at an orientation event if the new trainee isn’t there right? What do you say, Chullie-hyung?” Eunhyuk elbowed Heechul, urging him to agree.

Heechul opened his mouth to agree (what harm could approaching a pretty girl possibly do?) but as soon as he laid his eyes on the slim but muscular girl dressed in loud colors, he bit his own tongue and shook his head. They were not going near that girl.

Eunhyuk looked at him in disbelief. Leeteuk smirked. Seeing that Heechul would not budge, Eunhyuk sighed in exasperation. What’s up with this hyung? He slowly dragged his feet away from the girl, towards the stairs leading to the third floor. Seeing that their buddy has lost the battle, the other boys followed suit grudgingly.

After trudging up three flights of stairs, the boys finally arrived at the room they were expected in. The other trainees were already seated and from all around, greetings were said to acknowledge their presence. Because some trainers were glaring at them, the boys slipped silently into their seats right at the front of the room next to their hoobaes, a group popularly known in the company as Shinee. “What’s the big deal? It’s just a new trainee. We’ve got enough of those weaklings coming and going all the time. Why do we need a ceremony for each one? I need the time to train. Why can’t they undergo training for a year and I promise that if they don’t quit, I’ll attend a ceremony held especially for them,” muttered muscle-mad Jonghyun to his close hyung, Donghae.

Before Donghae could reply, the President entered and a hush fell over the room. “Good morning, everyone. Before I introduce the new trainee whom I believe you are all waiting to see, I would like to conduct a short talent test. Jonghyun. You started dancing even before you joined our company, right?” Jonghyun nodded. “Let’s see what you used to do. The dance school you attended then sent us a song called ‘Mr. Simple’. Could you do that dance?”

“No, I’m afraid not.” Jonghyun hung his head. “I kind of promised…” He turned to his childhood friends, Yuri and Donghae, his eyes begging them to explain on his behalf.

“Uh. Sir, there’s this girl we know back from our days in the dance school who we wrote songs and performed with. She was really upset when we left to come here and we promised never to sing and perform the songs we’d written without her. Mr. Simple’s one of them.” Yuri tried.

“That promise was made when you were still kids. I’m sure she’ll understand if you perform it now. Come on up!” President Lee said.

Yuri looked at her friend apologetically. Donghae squeezed his shoulder in encouragement and Jonghyun made his way slowly to the stage. Why is the President bringing up such an old song? I hope Hyoyeon doesn’t find out.

Jonghyun took a few deep breaths to calm his nerves and signaled to a trainer to start the music. The strong beats blasted through the speakers and he started moving to them. The crowd cheered enthusiastically, even though his grumpy face did not reflect the lively, positive nature of the song. It was amazing, how he could remember the moves to a dance he hasn’t done in years, ever since he left Hyoyeon back home, just so he could be signed on to a company. He missed her. He let his muscle memory do the job while his mind roamed towards his childhood.

“If you’re mad, go meet your friend and release it by talking behind their backs (Alright!) Alright”

Just then, the doors at the back of the stage opened a little and a girl slipped in through the crack, unnoticed by Jonghyun. The audience gaped at the girl. She’s interrupting the performance.

Eunhyuk nudged Ryeowook who was sitting next to him, “Hey, it’s that girl from the lobby just now!” The duo turned to Heechul and realized that the other members were studying their usually boisterous friend intently.  He didn’t look too comfortable. But they didn’t have too long to ponder over it.

“If you’re distressed, sing a song, scream out loud and blow it away Alright, Alright” Jonghyun gasped and turned around as the girl parted her lips and sang sweetly. She winked at him and he grinned. Together, they continued singing.

“Look Mr. Simple, Simple You are you are cool just like that
Look Miss Simple, Simple You are pretty just like that (S J Call!)
Look Mr. Simple, Simple You are you are cool just like that
Look Miss Simple, Simple You are pretty just like that (S J Call!)”

The pair jumped off the stage, into the audience and picked out Donghae and Yuri. The four of them twirled back onto stage. They executed the complicated choreography perfectly in sync.

Because of the sudden surge of enthusiasm, the audience got livelier and livelier, dancing and clapping along. The group showed off fancy footsteps and flashy dance moves while their peers watched in awe.

The short performance ended with a flourish. The four members were panting and perspiring but huge smiles were on their faces. They obviously enjoyed it, having missed it for so many years now.

“Ladies and gentlemen, today, I present to you our new trainee, Kim Hyoyeon.” President Lee walked onto stage and announced. “She’s Jonghyun’s younger sister.”

“Hey! I didn’t know you had such a pretty sister!” Someone shouted from offstage. The brother-sister pair smiled and Jonghyun put an arm protectively over Hyoyeon’s shoulder.

President Lee glared at the person who had interrupted him. “I’ll leave her to introduce herself, but before I do so, I’ll tell you a bit about her achievements, since I’m sure she’ll be so modest that she won’t mention them. But this girl, she’s really something. Hyoyeon majors both in jazz and ballet, and has performed in numerous famous ballets and thus is not new to being on stage. However, the dances she’s used to are not restricted to only those genres; you saw how well she’d performed just now. Since she already has the poise and form needed in dance, she’ll be skipping elementary dance lessons and start the advanced classes from today. She’ll be training with Girls’ Generation since she’s already familiar with Yuri. I expect every one of you to lend her a helping hand whenever she needs help.”

The eight girls in the front row cheered. They loved making new friends and this new girl looked like a lot fun. Hyoyeon grinned excitedly and exchanged high fives with Yuri.

After lifting a hand as if to restore silence, President Lee motioned at the new girl to introduce herself. “Annyeonghaseyo, I’m Kim Hyoyeon. It has always been my dream to enter the entertainment industry and I am so excited to be here with you. I love dancing and promise to train hard and make the most of this brilliant opportunity. Please take care of me.” At the girl’s unusually bright voice, the trainees cheered enthusiastically.

Eunhyuk caught Heechul’s eye and smirked at him, his eyes signaling towards Hyoyeon. He leaned in towards the older friend and silently mouthed the words ‘I told you so’. He had expected the older teen to roll his eyes or at least show some form of regret. Instead, he saw Heechul cringing at the girl’s voice, not even paying attention to him, nor her, at all. Eunhyuk motioned to Leeteuk and the latter nodded back. They both sensed that something was amiss with their dongsaeng as well. He made a mental note to discuss the matter with his older “advisor” after he had made his move on the pretty lady the orientation ceremony.

Meanwhile, on the other end of the row of seats, Onew has also taken an interest in the new girl. She was, as far as he was concerned, the most beautiful creature to ever roam the earth, different from the rest. He let his eyes slide all over her body, surveying the magnificent view right in front of him. The girl has both feminine curves and toned muscles. Her hair was perfectly wavy, her eyelashes perfectly curled. Her cheeks were naturally rosy and her lips lush.

She was worth missing training for.

He was hers.

 

 

Author’s Note: So this is the start of something huh? A big thank-you to all subscribers, you guys are the best! I hope you enjoy my story, if you have anything to say about it, do feel free to comment!