Chapter 1

The Guardian of EXOplanet

 

499 years ago. . .

 

A majestic castle rested on a plateau that jutted from a mountain. Pompous flags waved in the wind, and loyal guards marched the walls, wand or sword ready.

Past the grand double doors was the Hall, where the King Azal sat.

King Azal was the greatest magician EXOplanet had ever seen. Power radiated through his eyes, and his posture gleamed confidence. His young age gave him more agility and strength. He was the one to turn lead into gold, and could heal the sickest of men and woman. He also was very intelligent, and that helped him win challenges against boastful warlocks and witches. He became King after only 2 years of practice.

King Azal turned to his Knight, the strongest warlock in his land. His suit of armor shone with the polish. "How much longer?" he asked.

"I do not know, your Majesty."

King Azal sighed and faced his Diviner. "Do you know?"

She feebly looked up. Years of magical foretelling and propheting had taken its toll, and her long gray hair proved it. Yet her eyes contradicted her body. They glowed with cunning, and everyone knew that Diviners had unimaginable power.

"She comes now, my Lord. But may I say, your Majesty, that I still do not trust her," she weakly said.

He smiled. "Lady Sanguis has been with us since I've become King. I trust her completely," he said.

She nodded. "As you wish."

King Azal faced the front doors again and impatiently tapped his fingers on the throne's armrest.

Suddenly, the doors were thrown open and they crashed with a booming thud onto the marble floor.

When the dust cleared, a young woman with an emerald-green robe stood proudly in the rubble. Then she strode forward.

The knights stepped forward to stop her, but she just snapped, and the men collided with the wall. The crack of their bones were clearly heard.

King Azal stood up from his chair. "What is the meaning of this, Sanguis?" The words reveberated off of the surfaces.

She smiled, but their was no warmth. "I'm afraid your reign has come to an end," she said cooly, and dozens of magicians ran in, wands at the ready.

The King's eyes scanned the room, and he laughed. "Not a chance, Sanguis," he said, and he clapped toward the army. Fire blazed from his fingertips, wiping out all of them except for the woman.

She opened her palm out flat, but he flicked his hand, and she was thrown back.

"If you're going to take my crown, take it with your hands, not with your magic, Sanguis," he commanded.

She smirked. "Proudly, your Majesty," she said with disgust. She jumped and flew toward him, arm outstretched.

The Knight stepped between them and brandished his sword, blocking her hand.

"I protect the King," he intoned, pushing her back.

She stood up straight and snarled. "You die first," she said.

She snapped, and inside the suit of armor, the face disappeared, only to be replaced with black. The metal plates fell to the ground, black liquid seeping out of the cracks.

King Azal looked disgusted, and she smirked again. "That suit of armor will look wonderful in my new bedroom! But of course, I have to get that filth washed out."

He growled, and he jumped. Halfway through the leap, he transformed into a mighty lion, roaring at Sanguis.

She smiled. "Does kitty want to play?" she taunted. Then she dropped to floor, turning into a green viper.

The Diviner watched as the lion and snake fought, and she struggled to stand up, leaning on her gnarled tree branch staff.

When she finally got on her feet, the snake was pushed against the floor, and the lion was purposely pressing his paws against the scaly skin.

The lion opened his mouth to roar, but then the Diviner saw what would happen. "No!" she screamed.

A purple shard shot from the snake's mouth into the lion's open mouth. The lion gagged, dropping to the floor, turning back into a man. His skin was scarred, and he was grabbing his head. His hair was turning gray by the second.

She smiled, walking around her "prey." "Poor King Azal," she teased. "Forced to his knees. . ."

The Diviner aimed her staff. Multicolored light shot out and struck Sanguis. knocking her off of her feet.

She looked up and growled. Then she snapped, and the Diviner's staff disappeared. But her skin was changing into that same lumpy texture.

She groaned as her feet implanted themselves into the floor, and they turned into roots. Her arms were forced outwards, and leaves formed. Her face became melded into a tree trunk.

She smiled at the new tree, and she calmy stepped over to the convulsing King. She tutted.

"Do you know what 'Sanguis' means? 'Blood.' And in 'Sanguis,' there's 'Anguis,' which means 'Snake.' "

Then she leaned over and pulled off the crown, dazzling with magical jewels.

She put it on and grinned. "Does it look on me? Of course it does."

"Die, Sanguis."

She looked back down, and saw King Azal's bloodshot eyes staring back at her.

She smirked. "Oh, I'm not done with you yet!"

She turned and walked to the center of the Hall, opening her arms.

She began chanting quickly, and the walls suddenly became translucent, then transparent. The same went to King Azal.

"What are you doing to me?" he choked out, shocked at her power.

She finished, and the castle, he, and she disappeared.

Sanguis turned to her. "No one will find us for a long time, and I get all the time I want to torture you, like you tortured me."

She placed one finger under his chin, and forced him to look up. "We'll have lots of fun together, won't we?"

The last thing he heard before the poison took over was, "Long live the King."