IX

Increasingly Alive

OVERTURE

Chinese_Biographical_Dictionary_-_Title_

“Attention, citizens!” There came a loud squeal of feedback from the speakers that were lined up along the streets. They hadn't been used in quite a few years, and many people even forget they were there. Rumors were always around that the speakers were used for emergency sirens, but nothing too serious had ever happened, so nobody was sure if that was true or not.

“We have some very exciting news!” The woman's voice was shrill. Yongguk listened carefully as the announcements raged on. Perhaps he knew this girl from high school. Many people from his class had graduated with careers already in their sights, usually government jobs, while Yongguk was contemplating college. “We proudly announce that we have apprehended the criminal Yoo Youngjae, and we are currently dissecting his robot now. We can all breathe easy! Rejoice!”

“Really?” Yongguk said aloud with heavy sarcasm.

Junhong pulled himself away from the stereo long enough to look at Yongguk. “What, master?”

“I doubt they actually captured Youngjae.” Yongguk said. “He's a strict, clean and careful criminal. He's not stupid, and he's certainly not going to go down without a fight. There's no way they took him down so easily.”

“How can you be so sure?” Junhong shrugged. “Why would the government lie to us?”

“Oh, Junhong....” Yongguk shook his head. His bot was loving, but so naive. “They lie plenty to us. They didn't capture Youngjae at all. In fact, I'm sure they don't even know where he is. They're just lying to keep themselves safe. They did it the last time we had a rogue. It took them nearly three months to actually capture him. He was a genius, but nothing compared to Youngjae.” Yongguk scratched his neck, yawning awkwardly between his sentence. “If Youngjae had enough brains to break out of the bion he was in, they're going to have a few more months until they even get close to catching him.”

Junhong looked at the clock by the kitchen. It was getting fairly late. While he didn't mind talking to Yongguk for hours on end, every night Yongguk would mention something about the time, then send Junhong to his bedroom like a child. Perhaps that night would be different, Junhong hoped.

Yongguk nodded his head to the music that played on the stereo, the music by a band Junhong had grown to enjoy. The music was soft, gentle, and different sounding, just as Yongguk liked. Junhong noticed his master listened to music that most would never consider. Junhong guessed that was why he liked Yongguk so much, because he was different.

“You look tired.” Yongguk whispered against Junhong's ear. Junhong sat comfortably on Yongguk's hips. While Junhong thought nothing of this, Yongguk was inwardly happier than he had ever been before. Of course, they waited until Hyosung, Jieun, and Zinger were asleep. It seemed strange to do things in front of them, or at least Yongguk thought so. He didn't want to be so close with one robot while the other three were just watching. Perhaps it was just Yongguk's mind.

“It's not late, master. I can stay awake.” Junhong lied, his eyes drooping over slightly. Yongguk pulled Junhong off of his body, and sat him down on the couch. “Master, it's okay, really.”

“Go to bed.” Yongguk said firmly. “You're very tired.” Junhong shook his head quickly. “I will carry you to your bedroom if you don't go by yourself.” Yongguk said, although it didn't seem like such a bad idea when he really thought about it. It's not like he and Junhong weren't already close. Becoming a bit closer wouldn't hurt anybody.

Junhong giggled. “Okay, fine, I'll go to be— Eeek!” Junhong squealed as Yongguk slipped his arms around Junhong's body, one behind his knees, and another around his sides. Yongguk smiled, walking slowly over to his bot's bedroom. He giggled a few times, and hushed himself when Yongguk opened the door to his bedroom, because the girls were fast asleep on his dresser. Yongguk stood at the edge of Junhong's bed, holding him tightly in his arms. Yongguk didn't want to put him down. Junhong was so soft, so frail, so loving. Yongguk never wanted to let him go.

“Master?” Junhong whispered. “You may lay me down now.”

“I don't want to.” Yongguk said childishly. Junhong grinned, leaning his head on Yongguk's shoulder. “But if you're tired, I'll let you go to bed.”

“Thank you.” Junhong said as Yongguk laid him down on his bed, stretching his legs out on the bed. Yongguk threw a silk blanket over his small body, watching as Junhong pulled them over his face.

“Good night.” Yongguk leaned close to Junhong's cheek, pecking a small kis on his soft, porcelain-like skin, while a flash of lightning appeared and disappeared at the window.

“Master?” Junhong whispered with a tremble in his voice. Yongguk nodded. “May I hug you?” He continued to whisper, for the girls shuffled quietly in their sleep. The question was strange, since Yongguk usually made the first move for an embrace, and Junhong waited. He had more respect for Yongguk than to suddenly hug him. Yongguk looked almost shocked when Junhong asked him, but he knew that Junhong was loyal, and he would always ask for permission.

“Of course you can. But only if you call me Yongguk, just once.” Yongguk said, almost cut off short as Junhong jumped off of the bed and threw his arms around Yongguk's neck. Yongguk gasped quietly, but complied, running his hands down Junhong's back.

“I love you hug you, Yongguk.” Junhong murmured in Yongguk's shirt. Their breaths were in sync with each other, until laid Junhong down and smiled.

“Sleep.” Yongguk mumbled. Junhong nodded, smiling while the dimples in his cheeks became apparent. Yongguk almost melted where he stood as he saw them. He leaned over, and kissed the dimples in Junhong's cheeks, letting his breath linger upon Junhong's cheek. “Good night, Junhong.”

“Good night, master.”

Yongguk clicked the door quietly shut behind him. He yawned, stretching his arms, and just barely making it over to the couch. He would sleep there in his clothes for the night, since he was far to lazy to go to his own bed, and too tired to change into anything else.

***

There came a resounding knock from Yongguk's door. The sound of it echoed throughout the apartment. Yongguk rubbed his eye gingerly, hoping to himself that the knock hadn't woken up Junhong or the girls. They needed their rest. Yongguk needed his as well, but apparently it could wait to the person behind the door. Another knock came from the door, and Yongguk groaned loudly, pushing himself off of the side of the couch.

“All right, all right, I'm coming.” He grumbled as he opened the door. The light from the hallway was almost blinding, but he could see an angry and disheveled Himchan in front of him. His hair was frazzled, his jacket hung off of his shoulder, his shirt was wrinkled, and his shoes covered in mud. He looked like he had just ran a ten mile marathon.

“You!” Himchan yelled, slurring slightly. Yongguk furrowed his brows while staring at the shorter being in front of him. He hadn't seen Himchan in a week and a half, or just around there. “You ruined everything.” He waved his hands in front of him.

“What the hell are you talking about?” Yongguk shook his head. Himchan hiccuped slightly before he pointed a finger in Yongguk's face.

“You just had to take the robot's side, leave me in the dirty.” He spat. “Well, you're driving me nuts. I had you first, Yongguk.” He reached up, curling his fingers under Yongguk's collar. “Now kiss me.”

Their lips locked together, like Himchan's were a piece missing from Yongguk's, and Himchan instantaneously around his neck. Yongguk's arm s around his waist, dragging him into the apartment slightly. Himchan was drunk, Yongguk would have to be blind not to notice he was. 

Yongguk pushed Himchan into his bedroom. He hoped they wouldn't wake Junhong, and the others, because of the slightly bumping sound the door made when it hit Yongguk's dresser.

After a few lust filled minutes, Yongguk pulled away from the intense kiss to take a breath.

“No.” Yongguk whispered. “Junhong, his room is right there.”

“Oh, shut up.” Himchan pushed his lips against Yongguk's again. Yongguk tried terribly hard to push away the idea of Junhong walking in. He felt like he was... cheating. But he didn't consider Junhong as anything else than a bot, did he?

Yongguk was too busy to think anymore as he slipped Himchan's shirt off of his body, his lips attaching to a soft spot on Himchan's throat. Himchan moaned quietly, and Yongguk threw his hand over his mouth, placing on index finger on his own lips.

“Quiet.” He said, due to fear that Junhong would walk in. “Don't make a sound.” Himchan nodded eagerly, chewing on his bottom lip to keep his moans from filling the bedroom.

And as Yongguk reached down to pull off his own shirt, he heard a squeak from behind the door. Yongguk turned his attention to the door. Nobody was there, but he could have sworn he heard Junhong. It sounded exactly like him, since Yongguk was around Junhong constantly. He should know what his bot sounds like.

“Did you hear that?” Yongguk whispered, although Himchan was shaking his head already. “It sounded like a—“

“You talk too much.” Himchan grabbed Yongguk by his neck, and threw him on the bed. Although Yongguk should have been concentrated on Himchan, he wasn't. Yongguk was more concerned on whether or not Junhong had just seen them, and if he did, what would he tell him?

***

Yongguk woke to the sound of a bird in a tree outside of his window. He was tenderly rubbing his eyes when the singing of the songbird disappeared. Yongguk stretched his legs out and shivered. He had forgotten to put his short on, his pants the only salvation from the temperature of the drizzling rain outside. He and Junhong could still go in public if they really wanted to. All he had to do was find an umbrella.

Yongguk pushed himself out of bed to find a small note awaiting him on his dresser, along with an extra key.

“I'm sorry :( I didn't mean to show up in the middle of the night.
Maybe we should stop what we're doing. I don't think it's good for either of us.
xoxo Himchan”

He sighed, crushing the note in his fist. Himchan was right; this -and-run relationship wasn't going to work for either of them much longer. Himchan was afraid of developing feelings for Yongguk, and Yongguk didn't want to hurt anyone. Thank goodness Himchan said it first though, Yongguk would not have had the heart to do it. While Yongguk seemed to have a tough shell, when it came to his friends and such, he was soft, especially with Junhong.

“.” Yongguk mumbled, rubbing his eyes again. He remembered there was a squeak behind the door when he and Himchan were together the night before, and he suspected it came from Junhong. He would have to confront Junhong, explain it to him.... It seemed like an incredibly awkward situation. How would someone explain that to a bot, especially a bot like Junhong? So sensitive, so easily confused. Yongguk shivered at the thought of it. He had no idea how he would approach this challenge.

But Yongguk couldn't avoid it either. He would have to go into the living room, and talk to Junhong eventually. Yongguk took a deep breath, calming himself before he opened the door to his bedroom. It was now or never, he thought while walking into the living room where Junhong sat innocently on the couch. He was reading a magazine that Yongguk had delivered to his house, although Yongguk never read them anyways.

“Good morning, master.” Junhong hardly peeked up from the magazine. Yongguk sat next to Junhong, staring directly at him, although Junhong was trying desperately to escape his gaze. Yongguk sighed. “What's wrong, master?” Junhong automatically put the magazine on the table, getting on his hands and knees on the couch to look at Yongguk. Whenever Yongguk sighed, or seemed unhappy, Junhong was there to see if he could help in any way.

“You... You saw Himchan and I last night, didn't you?” Yongguk asked. Junhong's eyes widened guiltily, although it was Yongguk who felt terrible. He should have stopped Himchan before anything else happened. He wouldn't be in this awkward situation if he had just pushed Himchan away. “You're not in trouble, Junhong. Just please tell me the truth.”

Junhong gasped quietly. “I swear, I didn't mean to, master. I just heard something, and I thought of the empyreals, and I wanted to make sure you were okay. But then I walked into your room without permission....” Junhong took a deep breath. “I apologize ten-fold, master.”

“Don't.” Yongguk reached over, and pulled Junhong into a warm embrace. He felt guilty, oh-so guilty. How could he betray Junhong like that? “Forgive me, Junhong. I didn't meant for you to see that.”

Junhong nodded silently, although he didn't say anything else. Junhong loved the feeling of being in his master's arms, even under the circumstances. Yongguk kissed the top of Junhong's head, and for some reason, he felt that he would have a few drinks that night. Pressure had gotten the best of him, and besides; what were a few drinks going to do to anyone?

***

Junhong decided another nap was in order after sitting silently with his master. He hadn't been able to sleep after seeing Himchan with his master, and he was especially tired the next morning. Yongguk had given him permission to nap, and while Hyosung and the others complained because they wanted to talk to Junhong, he was so tired, all he wanted to do was throw himself on the bed and fall asleep for a year.

When Junhong awoke, however, he was greeted by a woozy and drunken master. Junhong giggled as Yongguk couldn't seem to finish a sentence without letting out a hiccup. Yongguk finished off a cup of whatever it was he was drinking before he fell back against the couch. He rubbed his temples, as though he were in pain, but that soon passed when intoxication took hold of his senses again.

Junhong sat down in front of the couch, staring at his master intently. Yongguk couldn't get rid of his hiccups, and it was bothering him a lot more than suspected. It was nearly 9 p.m., Junhong noted. He had practically slept the entire day away!

“Are you all right, master?” Junhong leaned forward, pressing the backs of his hands against Yongguk's reddening cheeks. Yongguk nodded slowly, opening one eye to stare at Junhong. He was entranced in Yongguk's amazing eye color. Even while he was drunk, Junhong loved the color of Yongguk's eyes; chocolate brown, with flares of orange surrounding the pupil.

“Yes, I -hic- am. Thank you, Junhong!” Junhong giggled after Yongguk finished his sentence.

Junhong started. “Would you like—“

Yongguk rolled off of the couch, for no reason, and onto the ground with a sudden burst of laughter. He grabbed his side as it began to ache from the laughter, although he wasn't sure what was so funny. Being drunk made everything funny to Yongguk. Junhong cocked his head to the side, leaning over the edge of the couch with curious eyes. Yongguk finally stopped laughing long enough to reach up and grab his bot's chin with a steady hand.

“You're very beautiful.” Yongguk said with a cleaned up slur. “Very beautiful.” He marveled, pushing himself up on his elbows.

“T-thank you, master.” Junhong said. Yongguk had never called him beautiful before. Maybe cute, or funny, but never beautiful. He didn't know what to think of it!

Yongguk sat up, cracking his neck carefully before staring at Junhong with foggy eyes. Hyosung, Jieun, and Zinger were too busy watching television (Junhong never took much of interest in it) to care about what Yongguk was doing. Yongguk pulled Junhong into his lap, giving him feather kisses along his neck. It felt like a soft wind was curling around Junhong's neck when Yongguk kissed him.

“Junhong?” Yongguk asked, trailing his fingers down Junhong's neck, and across his chest as he pulled away. Junhong nodded quickly, eagerly even.

“Yes?” Junhong squeaked. It was strange for his master to be so openly affectionate, especially while the girls were still awake. Actually, Junhong thought, it was strange for his master to be this affectionate at all. Usually he would just give a hug, a kiss on the cheek or head, a friendly hand, maybe a hand around the waist, but never feather kisses along his neck. Not that Junhong minded much anyways. Yongguk swallowed hard before he brought his lips to Junhong's ear. His breath tickled against Junhong's skin.

“Have you ever played the Magnet Game?”