VII

Increasingly Alive

the grid

Chinese_Biographical_Dictionary_-_Title_

Junhong blinked, tilting his head to the right in confusion. “Music?”

Yongguk smiled triumphantly. He figured Junhong never knew what music was. He had not been programmed that way. Junhong was still confused, his eyes full of desperation. It was troublesome when Yongguk told Junhong something new, and then he didn't bother to explain it.

“Would you like to listen to music?” Yongguk leaned back, pulling himself away from his bot. Junhong nodded quickly, and as strange as it seemed, he only then realized how short his master really was. Junhong was very tall compared to him, very short. Even so, he could still picture Yongguk as very intimidating.

“Yes!” Junhong jumped up eagerly, nearly head-butting Yongguk. “Oh, please!”

“Calm down.” Yongguk laughed, then led Junhong into his room, sitting him down on the bed while he turned to his personal music player. Robots doubled as a music player as well, but Yongguk never enjoyed it as much, and he was sure Junhong wouldn't enjoy it. He wouldn't experience the music as Yongguk would, but as a duty he must fulfill.

Yongguk had stacks of old compact discs that held lists of music he learned of as a child. Many people hated it now, since only bubblegum pop played on the airwaves. His music was from the 2000 through 2020 era, and even though it was old, his music had more meaning in one note than any of the new music had.

Yongguk slipped the first album into the stereo. There came the faintest sound of an acoustic guitar, and Yongguk turned the music up rather hastily. While Harmony wasn't his favorite album from the group he chose, he didn't have the resources to buy the older extended plays, and nobody had any torrents regarding them. He skipped the first six songs, landing on the seventh track titled, “First Dance.” Not the best song, he thought, but it was a start.

Junhong marveled at the sound of the beat bouncing around his head. The drum was light, and the strumming of a small guitar filled his ears. The harmonizing was enchanting. Junhong felt the sudden need to move his hands, so he tapped them against his knees. Yongguk smiled, and pulled Junhong off of the bed, intertwining their fingers.

“You can dance to music you're listening to.” Yongguk said, but that didn't help as Junhong looked completely lost after that statement. “Dancing is like... moving your body to the beat. You just move to the music, like this.” Yongguk spun Junhong in his arms, holding him to make sure he didn't fall. Junhong squeaked when Yongguk stopped him from spinning. He noted what Yongguk was doing with his feet, and he tried his best to mimic Yongguk. His master laughed easily.

“Now you got it!” Yongguk said. A rush of happiness shot through Junhong as he received approval from Yongguk. “Don't look at your feet. Your partner wants to see your eyes when you're together.”

“You're my partner, right?” Junhong said. Yongguk nodded quickly, then Junhong giggled while Yongguk spun him in his arms again. Junhong felt light as air, barely on the floor, but always in Yongguk's arms. When his master stopped him from nearly falling on his back, Yongguk was panting, searching for a bit of breath.

“I haven't danced in such a long time.” Yongguk chuckled weakly, his voice becoming louder through wheezes of breath.

“Are you tired, master? Do you want to stop?” Junhong's voice was delicate. He loved dancing, but he wouldn't see his master exhausted if it was hurting him. Dancing could wait.

“No, it's all right.” Yongguk said. “I can't get better if I don't try, right? Here, we'll switch to a slower song.” He reached to the stereo, skipping the song to a song that definitely had a different feel to it. Yongguk caught his breath, and then held Junhong in his arms. “Ready?”

“I think I like music, master.” said Junhong. Yongguk leaned forward, and laced his fingers with Junhong's again. “Is all music like this?”

“No.” Yongguk answered sullenly. To be reminded of the fact that most music wasn't like this almost put him in a bad mood. This music was great, why shouldn't they make more like that? Yongguk guessed that even the most treasured things were brushed off as nothing at the sight of something, “better.” “This is old music. Almost as old as my parents.” Yongguk said. Junhong thought for a minute. He had only met Yongguk's mother for a few minutes in the shop when they were testing out his feature and such. Yongguk's father was not in sight.

Then Junhong pondered. He didn't have parents. He had a creator, and a master, but parents were different than both of those. A parent loved their child, just as Yongguk's parents did. Junhong's creator was not the same. But Yongguk.... Did Yongguk love him?

“Ready?” Yongguk asked. Junhong hadn't realized that Yongguk paused the music, because Junhong was too enveloped in thought to even move. Junhong nodded, and Yongguk pressed the play button as the heavenly music filled the air again. Yongguk's footwork changed from the last song, only taking small steps together. Yongguk placed Junhong's hands on his shoulders. Yongguk then trailed his hands down Junhong's sides of his stomach.

“I'll only leave my hands on your sides, okay? I don't know how you feel about my hands on your hips and all.” Yongguk said, nervously his bottom lip.

“My hips?”

Yongguk tapped his fingers against Junhong's hips.

“Why not?” Junhong looked at Yongguk, furrowing his brows together. “Unless you're uncomfortable....”

“You don't mind then?” Yongguk said. Junhong shook his head quickly. Yongguk leaned back and restarted the song. They spent such a long time talking without actually dancing to the beat. The song started again, and Yongguk gingerly placed his hands on Junhong's hips. His bot didn't look fazed at all. Yongguk remembered that Junhong didn't understand the concept of personal spots. He didn't react the same way a human would if hands were placed on the hips.

Yongguk sighed gently while they started to dance again. He had to admit that it was much more comfortable to place his hands on Junhong's hips instead of his side. Without the intention of doing so, they moved closer little by little until they were only a few inches away. Junhong stared at his master, their eyes locked together. Yongguk couldn't even blink, it seemed.

Then Yongguk pulled Junhong into a hug. Junhong squeaked while his ear was pressed to Yongguk's chest. He listened carefully, and through Yongguk's quiet breaths, he could hear a faint thumb coming from his chest.

“Master.” Junhong whispered, as though he would scare off the sound with his voice, but it still beat steadily like a drum. “What is that sound?”

“What sound?” Yongguk said. Junhong softly poked Yongguk's chest to where he thought the sound was coming from. When his finger grazed Yongguk's chest, the beat skipped. Junhong gasped, pulling his finger away. The beat sped up, but not much faster than it had been before. “That's my heartbeat, Junhong.”

Junhong traced his fingers along Yongguk's chest. “What's a heartbeat?”

“It's the sound your heart makes when it's pumping blood.” Yongguk said. “When people are nervous, their heartbeat speeds up. When they're calm, it's slow.”

“So you are nervous.” Yongguk looked at Junhong and nodded. “Why are you nervous?”

Yongguk shrugged. “I don't know. Does my heartbeat scare you?”

“No, it's just that....” Junhong said, then sighed. “I do not have a heart.” He mumbled. Yongguk pulled him away, a look of shock on his face. Junhong didn't understand why he looked surprised. It was true. He didn't have a heart. Robots didn't have a heart.

“Yes, you do.” Yongguk said stubbornly. Junhong shook his head. “Yes, you do. It's right,” Yongguk placed his finger on Junhong's chest. He outlined the shape of a heart, creating small creases in Junhong's soft clothes. Junhong felt a slight warmth linger even after. Yongguk pulled away, “there.” Junhong swallowed quietly as Yongguk pulled him into the embrace again. They both couldn't comprehend what they were doing. This was supposed to be nothing more than a dance, but it progressed into something more, something far more.

Junhong began to trace the shape he had seen his master do on Yongguk's chest. Junhong listened carefully to the heartbeat. It was a source of life, a source of love. The only sound in the room was their steady breathing until there came a slight opening at the bedroom door.

“Er, Yongguk?” Himchan's voice broke through the silence. Junhong pulled himself off of his master. Even Junhong was shocked at how long their embrace was, and easily straightened his clothes out before grinning at Himchan.

“Himchan.” Yongguk said. “What are you doing here?”

“Sorry to... interrupt.” Himchan eyed them suspiciously. “I just got your email.”

“Junhong, can you stay in your room for a while?” Yongguk asked. Junhong nodded.

“Yes, master.” Then he scampered off in the direction of his bedroom. He made sure to be quiet as Hyosung, Jieun, and Zinger were already sleeping in the windowsill.

Himchan grabbed the bedroom door and slammed it harshly. “Did I just see what I think I saw?” He raised an eyebrow, trying to keep his stance, even though he was ridiculously short. Yongguk rolled his eyes.

“No, you didn't.”

“What was that, then?” Himchan replied. His voice lowered. “You were hugging him.”

Yongguk huffed. “What if it was just a hug between friends?”

Himchan laughed, almost in Yongguk's face. “Between friends? Your hands were on his hips, and his were on your chest! I've never hugged a friend like that before!”

“Yet we do so much more than hug, but we still only consider each other friends.” Yongguk spat. Himchan stuttered, fumbling with his words until he gave up. Instead, he pointed an accusing finger at Yongguk.

“It's not the same.”

“Why? Because he's a bot?” Yongguk snapped.

“Yes, that's exactly why. He's not real, Yongguk.”

“Yes, he is!” Yongguk was fuming. As much as Yongguk tried to respect Himchan's opinion, it was difficult at times. They were both very opinionated when it came to issues such as this, and Yongguk usually let Himchan win, but not this time. “Who are you to say he can't feel anything? Who are you to say there's no real love?” Yongguk shivered. He never used the world love. Maybe he said it to his parents, or the occasional love to his bots, but other than that, love was not used much. “Have you ever really loved somebody?”

“He isn't a somebody!” Himchan said. “There's just too many difference between a bot and a human. Too many to describe. You will never feel love with a robot.” Himchan paused, taking a long breath. “Love is when you meet somebody who loves your flaws just as much as you love theirs, and you try to change to meet each other’s needs, and you constantly feel like you're on cloud nine.”

Yongguk rolled his eyes. “I'm changing, Himchan.” Himchan looked shocked. “What if Junhong is changing me, making me a better person?”

“That's ridiculous, and you know it. Superficial.”

“What we have is superficial!” Yongguk pointed at himself and Himchan. “We , we run. That's all we're doing. There's nothing else there. I mean, at least with Junhong I can look in his eyes and think he's beautiful. I can't even look at you without—“

“Oh, shove it.” Himchan threw his hands down to his sides. “Fine, you go ahead with your little fantasy love with Junhong. You can go ahead, love him, whatever.” Himchan turned his back on Yongguk, opening the bedroom door, and starting towards the front door. Himchan was so angry, he had forgotten what he came over for in the first place. “You're so stupid for thinking you could ever love a thing like that.”

“His name is Junhong.” Yongguk grabbed Himchan's arm, pulling him back into the argument. “And I swear, if you call him a thing again, I'll—“

“You'll what?” Himchan challenged him. “You're gonna sic your robots on me?”

The door creaked quietly, and Yongguk looked behind himself to see Junhong barely peeking past the door. His eyes were full of hurt, probably from the fight Yongguk was in. And Yongguk couldn't stand to see Junhong like that. Yongguk opened the front door.

“Get out, Himchan. Just go.” He was trying his hardest not to cuss in front of Junhong.

“But, I'm not done.”

“Go!” Yongguk shoved Himchan out, slamming the door. He bolted it shut behind him. “Why did I ever give him that spare key?” He thought out loud. He could hear the faint speaking of his small bots, mostly Hyosung, from behind Junhong's door. But Yongguk didn't move to them first. Instead, he gathered his own thoughts and rested his head against the door. How could Himchan be so insensitive? He was always rude.

Yongguk pushed himself up, and walked to Junhong's door, gingerly knocking on it.

“Go away! No masters allowed!” Hyosung giggled.

“Come in.” Junhong called after Hyosung was finished. Yongguk opened the door, just barely peeking his head in. Junhong was working at something on the bed, but Yongguk couldn't tell what it was. Only when he opened the door did he see that Junhong was working on Jieun's CPU.

“What are you doing?”

Junhong glanced at Yongguk. “Fixing Jieun.”

“How? We have doctors come over, and they can't even fix her.” Yongguk said curiously.

“But this is a very simple fix.” Junhong replied. “I'm almost done, unless you forbid this. I will stop if you—“

“No.” Yongguk said quickly. “Keep... Keep going.”

Jieun sat on the bed, holding her dress to her chest while Junhong worked diligently. Yongguk smiled at her, holding her small hand, to which she replied with a small blush. Yongguk wondered if Junhong could blush. If he could, he hadn't seen it yet.

“You're going to feel a little spark, okay?” Junhong said to Jieun. She nodded. Yongguk watched while Junhong connected two different colored wires. There was a tiny flash of light. Jieun squeaked while Junhong tied two wires together, and pushed her CPU back into her small body. She gasped quietly, waving her hands in front of her eyes.

“Master!” She shouted. “I can see again! Wow, you're older, master.” Jieun leaned forward, studying Yongguk's face. “Very handsome.” Yongguk kissed the top of her head.

“I could fix Zinger tomorrow, if you wish. I'm sure there's but a small malfunction. She could be speaking in less than a day.”

Yongguk held Zinger and Hyosung in his hands. He kissed both of their heads. Then Junhong stood up, although he wasn't looking for anything from his master. He gave Yongguk a meek laugh, but Yongguk reached for Junhong’s hand, their fingers lacing together. He planted a soft kiss on Junhong's cheek, while his small bots cooed in the background.

“Thank you.”

“It's nothing, master. I serve you.”

“No.” Yongguk said. “You're not just here to serve me.” Yongguk noticed his fingers were still laced together with Junhong's. “You're much more than just a bot. You're a friend, Junhong. A great one.”

“And you are mine.” Junhong said. Then, as Yongguk pulled and walked away, Junhong brushed his fingertips against the supple skin Yongguk had ever-so-tenderly kissed. And for a split second, Junhong thought he felt a speedy heartbeat.

***

Junhong stared at Tia's fingernails. They were chipped, almost like she was biting them. Tia tapped her free hand against the table. Junhong had asked Yongguk if they could visit her when they had free time. Yongguk was never one to deny Junhong of much, so he easily said yes, as long as he could accompany him.

“Your master is very kind, Junhong.” Tia said. “Very loving.”

“Yes...” Junhong thought back to only a few nights ago where he had been dancing with Yongguk. They shared something. They shared a heart. “He is very kind, Tia. But you....”

“You mustn’t worry about my well-being anymore.” Tia took his hands in her own. “I'm a strong bot. It will be years before he ever breaks me down.”

“But, you should not break at all. Masters are not supposed to treat us so terribly!” Junhong tried breaking through her stubborn wall, but it never worked. She was headstrong. She knew what she had to do.

“So how are we supposed to be treated?” Tia said.

“They are to love us. Perhaps not romantic love, but love, as family.” Tia brushed her blonde hair away from her flawless face. Her skin was like porcelain. “As friends, as well. As I feel for you.”

“And your master, Yongguk.” She addressed him quietly, as she didn't want him to know they were speaking of him. He spoke quietly to the teen behind the counter again. “He loves you?” Junhong peeked at him, looking away when Yongguk caught him staring. Tia envied him, and how comfortable he was with his master. She longed to feel comfortable.

“I don't know what love is.” Junhong said. “But I do know that my master treats me as an equal, not a slave.” Junhong's cheek tingled at the thought of Yongguk's tender lips.

“I must be going, Junhong. Until next week, yes?” Tia gave an unconvincing smile.

“Yes, of cour—“

Yongguk started for Junhong's side, and jerked him out of his seat. Tia gasped audibly, covering as he did so. Yongguk, however, held Junhong against the stone wall behind them. The look on his face was serious. Yongguk faced Junhong, placing one of his hands on the wall beside their bodies. His fingers intertwined with Junhong's.

“Empyreals.” Yongguk whispered, placing his lips just beside Junhong's ear. He left them there, his warm breaths ticking at Junhong's feathery hair. Many of the other robots were frozen as the officers walked into the shop. Tia sat alone at the table, staring innocently at her chipped nails. She was not a criminal. What should she be afraid of?

An empyreal stood at the door with his arms crossed over his chest. Intimidating, yes, but what was he doing? The silence around them would allow them to hear a pin dropping down the street. It was uncomfortably silent.

“Put your hand on my neck.” Yongguk mumbled. Junhong didn't ask any question, slowly reaching for his master's neck. A tingle ran through his hands, warmth spread through his slender fingertips. “Don't do anything.”

The tallest officer walked into the coffee shop, carrying a club of sorts at his side. It seemed to be the longest seconds of his own life, Yongguk thought, as the officers walked around, murmuring things to each other before one single officer took a long look at Junhong, and then ordered the rest out. He followed soon after. Yongguk heaved a deep sigh of relief once they were out of the door. Junhong's hand slid off of Yongguk's neck.

“Are you okay?” Junhong said worriedly. “The officers, they are bothering you, are they not?”

“Just a little.” Yongguk nodded. “They're not leaving. The rogues are somewhere in town. They're not going to another town until they're absolutely sure that the criminals aren't here.”

“Master?” Junhong squeaked. “What do they do to the criminals?”

Yongguk shuddered at the thought. He had heard tales of criminals who were force fed their own organs, or had their tongues hacked off for speaking against the government. He even heard one wives tale that claimed each prisoner was to decide who died first, and who died last. Whoever died last received the worst of the treatment. In the process of picking the order to die, they killed each other instead. Insane, Yongguk thought, but not unlikely. The government was cruel and unusual when it came to discipline. Things were not to be taken lightly.

“Let's not talk about it.” Yongguk pushed the thoughts away. “C'mon.” He turned to Tia once to say thank you, before he and Junhong set off for home. Junhong thought there there wouldn't be another nice day until the empyreals were out of town, and Yongguk was happy again.

Chinese_Biographical_Dictionary_-_Title_

I've been feeling small lately, and haven't been too inspired to write.