D-12

Wait For Me

 

12 days

He had said he was going to leave in 2012. 2011 had come and gone and before anyone knew it, news about Leeteuk’s final leave from Super Junior was circulating everywhere.

Leeteuk remembered the first interview where he had been asked the dreaded question. He had been anticipating it, had known it was coming. But still, when the interviewer said those words, Leeteuk felt himself seized with terror.

“Leeteuk, army service is a requirement all Korean men are obliged to fulfill. When will you answer this call of duty?”

Leeteuk’s mind spun with the rehearsed answers. There were the “ELFS have nothing to worry about. I’m not going anywhere anytime soon” lies, the “I’ll be out of the way soon enough” jokes, and the practiced “I’ll come back a better man.”

Instead of spouting out any of those monotone and generic answers, Leeteuk took a deep breath and started talking—just talking, not reading off those long memorized scripts.

“I’m not sure. I…it’s not going to be too soon, but it’s not going to be too far off. I’ve already made some plans with my company to take the time off. It’s…complicated. It is every man’s duty to serve his country well so that he may come back proud of Korea and the sacrifices its citizens make for it. I will serve my country with pride and responsibility. Korea is my home; I would do anything for it. That said, I can’t leave. Not yet. Not when Super Junior is still looking at me as their leader. They need me right now and I need them. I can’t leave them when they still depend on me. I will have to fulfill my duties to my brothers, Super Junior, before I leave for the army. I hope fans will understand my leave and wait for me when I return. Please support Super Junior while I’m gone. Please take care of the boys for me. As a leader, leaving the members will break my heart. For me, make sure they behave. Make sure they perform, smile, and laugh. Make sure they cry, but not for me. Make them cry tears because of wins, losses, joy, and heartache. But no tears for me. They mean everything to me. I leave them in your care. Thank you.”

He had promptly forgotten about the interview afterwards, until the day it aired. It was one of those rare days when all the members were at home with no schedule to go to. He had been in the bathroom when he heard Shindong yell out, “HYUNG, you’re on TV!”

When he finally emerged from the bathroom and joined the other members out in the living room, he could see something was off. Ryeowook and Eunhyuk had tears in their eyes and everyone else seemed on the verge of crying too.

“What happened?” Leeteuk had immediately rushed to everyone, frantically examining each member.

“Hyung…” Siwon had whispered, his usual cool façade off in front of the leader.

“What?” Leeteuk asked, dreading the response. Had something happened? Why was everyone staring at him? He turned to look at the TV, where his face was still present.

Oh.

“Guys…”

“Hyung, don’t worry about us. We’ll be fine. We won’t bring a bad name to you. We’ll make you proud so when you see us you can smile happily. Just…just take care of yourself first okay?” Eunhyuk had spoken up in his soft voice.

Leeteuk had been rendered speechless. Not saying anything, he walked towards the group with outstretched arms and like little children running to their mother, the members embraced their leader.