Chapter 4

[Hiatus] When I Find My Way Back

The four looked at Jinki hard, but the oldest wasn’t looking at them, but the managers. “Do you want to still be part of SHINee?”

He nodded a little, before taking a deep breath and starting to speak. “I want to be. But… I don’t know. I mean, I can’t remember ever being part of a band and I know nothing about anything that would happen and I can’t even remember people who I know I should know like brothers. But I don’t. I know nothing about any of this.” Jinki was on the verge of tears, but still tried to be strong and not let them fall.

In trying to hide his tears, Jinki’s gaze fell to the ground. Nobody could see his face and he could see no one, so the other members used that time to glare at the managers. When a hand was placed on his shoulder though, Jinki jumped and looked back up. Key was sitting next to him, a small smile on his face, and the other members were looking over his shoulder with the same look. “There will always be a place in SHINee for you if you want it. But you don’t have to decide right now.”

“Get to know us and get your memory back before you do.” Jonghyun’s statement as stand in leader was not just to Jinki, but to the managers as well, telling them that they had lost and the SHINee members had won. They were doing things their own way and there was nothing the managers could do.

“You guys have more explaining to do, but you are going to be late for your schedule. Hurry to get ready. We are leaving in five minutes.” There was a flurry of activity throughout the dorm after that, but Jinki just sat in the living room still, being watched by the managers but not speaking. After a minute, there was a sigh from the one Jinki was figuring was the main manager. “You don’t remember anything?”

He shook his head. “I remember up until some point in 2005, but then it just skips to now.”

“Well that’s convenient,” the manager muttered under his breath. He glanced at his watch again before yelling into the dorm for the others to hurry up. As he stood, he looked once more to Jinki on the couch. “Try to remember something by the time we come back.”

Key was livid when he heard that from the hallway, but Jonghyun was there holding him back before he did something to regret and whispering things into his ear to calm down. By the time they finally walked out, it was impossible to tell the two had heard the way their manager was speaking to Jinki. While waiting for Taemin and Minho to hurry up, Key looked to Jinki on the couch. “There’s food in the fridge if you get hungry, and directions to heating anything up should be right on the container. All of our cell numbers are written on the fridge along with the managers’ if you need them. You know where-”

He was cut off from saying more by Jonghyun’s hand over his mouth. “I think hyung will be fine for a few hours. You don’t have to act like he is a kid.” Pulling Key towards the door, Jonghyun gave a smirk from over the younger’s shoulder. “Call us if you need anything and feel free to look around at anything. Remember, this is your dorm too. Tell Taemin and Minho to meet us outside.” And then they were walking out, Jonghyun finally releasing Key from the death grip so that the boy could yell his goodbyes but nothing more. With a pout from him, they walked with the managers to the basement with the cars.

Inside the dorm, Taemin was running around frantically while Minho just watched him, waiting for the maknae to be ready so they could leave. “Where is it?!”

“What are you looking for?” Minho chuckled a little, shaking his head at the question Jinki would be asking a lot soon. Taemin didn’t answer him, so the rapper took the liberty to.

“He lost his phone. Again.” It was definitely unexpected when Jinki froze at that, and Minho even shook his shoulder a little, but the leader didn’t move. “Hyung, are you okay? Hyung?”

But as suddenly as Jinki froze up, he was back, startling Minho even more. “Check in his blue sneakers.”

“What?” Minho was slightly shocked at how random the request was, but Jinki just shook in his head.

“Check in his blue sneakers. Jonghyun hid his phone there.” Minho listened to his hyung and dug through Taemin’s closet quickly for the blue sneakers that went all the way back to Juliette. Why would it be here? And how would Onew-hyung know?

But sure enough, when Minho found the sneakers, there was Taemin’s phone inside. Only, it was one of the older phones he had lost. This is from before Onew left… “Hyung!” Minho practically ran to the living room, where Taemin was now waiting for him. Before he could speak to Jinki, however, the dancer was grabbing his hand and pulling him towards the door.

“We are going to be late, Minho-hyung. The managers are probably mad at us.” He knew it was true, but Minho had to remember to ask Jinki about the phone. So he stuffed Taemin’s old phone in his pocket as they left, leaving the injured member in the apartment alone now.

But Jinki was having his own problems. “How did Taemin find his phone when he was across the dorm from Minho, who was looking where Jonghyun hid it?” But he didn’t ponder that too long before becoming bored and getting up to search around for something, anything that would bring back some memory.


Minho couldn’t get the fact that Jinki knew where the old phone was out of his head, but there wasn’t much he could do the whole time they were on the radio show they were doing. As soon as they were off, however, he put the plan he had been making the whole time into play. “Jonghyun-hyung, can I ask you something?” His question shocked the whole band, but the oldest of them nodded. When he didn’t walk away from Key, however, Minho shook his head. “Not here.”

“Sure…” Jonghyun unattached himself from Key and walked towards the bathrooms with Minho so they could talk privately. As soon as they were out of view of the others, Minho pulled the phone out of his pocket. “What’s that?”

“Taemin’s old phone.” Jonghyun immediately recognized it now that Minho told him what it was, and the rapper knew it. “How long ago did you hide this?”

“Back when we were still promoting Juliette. Why? How’d you find it?” Jonghyun was confused; it wasn’t a problem that he had hid the phone since Taemin had broken it before he had, so why was Minho bringing it up?

“Did anyone know you hid it? Like Onew-hyung?” Minho dodged the questions with more of his own.

Jonghyun thought for a few seconds before nodding. “I think hyung knew I hid it. But why does this matter?”

“Because he remembered that you hid it and knew where.” Minho flipped the phone over to examine the back, but didn’t quite know himself why he did so. “Taemin was searching for his phone since he lost it and Onew heard, but then he just froze up. When he was better, he just said to check in Taemin’s blue sneakers, since you hid the phone there.”

“He remembered something…” Jonghyun was stuck on that fact, not paying attention to anything else Minho might have bothered to say. But there wasn’t much time for them to say more before Key stuck his head into the bathroom.

“Manager-hyung says we have to leave now. Come on.” Onew-hyung remembered something. Jonghyun didn’t even know how to begin to tell Key, but he managed to stumble over his words enough to tell Key with the help of Minho as they walked.

The diva’s reaction was almost exactly how the two felt inside, complete with spazzing and screaming, but neither would ever admit to that. At least, willingly.


Jinki replayed the video on the computer for the umpteenth time, still focusing on just one person out of the five on stage. Is that really me? Is this what I want to do? After a few more times watching the video, he finally opened his mouth to sing along.

And was surprised when his voice sounded exactly like the one coming out of the speakers. So it is me. But do I want to do this? He still didn’t know the answer to that.

When the other members came back, Jinki quickly closed the windows on the computer. And just in time, as Key came flying through the door to hug him. “I heard you remembered something! This is so good! Maybe you will remember more soon!”

He looked over the spazzing diva to the other three standing in the doorway, all smiling largely. “What did I remember?”

It shocked him when they all laughed at that, after getting used to people being upset when he asked questions about his memory. “Pabo, Minho told us about you remembering the phone that Jonghyun hid.”

“Didn’t he hide that recently though?” Key was still clinging to him and Jinki didn’t quite know what to do about the boy, but the members didn’t seem to be ready to help him soon, so he tried shaking the boy. He still didn’t let go.

“I hid that a year ago. You were the only other person who knew where it was.” Jonghyun explained it as best he could. “And I sort of forgot that I even hid it until Minho showed it to me again…”

Jinki nodded a little, taking it in. I remembered something. That’s good. I think. “So I remembered something. This is good, right?” Key nodded against him, and Jinki saw the others do the same. “Can somebody get him off of me then?”