Chapter 1

[Hiatus] When I Find My Way Back

This is my first fanfiction with non-fictional characters, so please excuse this if it ends up really bad. I do not plan on that, but you never know. If it does, I promise to try again to make it better, but no promises on if it actually will be…


Jinki stared out the window of the Jeep, watching the hills and trees fly by. “It looks like rain,” he muttered under his breath. Watching the kids playing in the hills outside, his own mind went the younger boys he saw as brothers. I wonder how SHINee is doing without me…

But before he could get too deep in his thoughts, there was a curse from the driver and the Jeep swerved to avoid something Jinki couldn’t see, sending all the soldiers inside flying towards the right and crushing him closer to the window. There wasn’t time to wonder what before a thud resounded through the car, followed by weightlessness. The vehicle was air-born and fire was engulfing the whole thing, but Jinki could still see the bodies flying into the windshield and through before the car crashed down on his side. The weight of the bodies sitting next to him coupled with the force of the crash crushed him towards the ground, and the shards from the window that cracked on impact imbedded into his side. Yet the car was flipping over quickly, rolling, and Jinki was slowly forced out of the small hole.

Lying in the middle of the now-barren road, he could only watch as the car that had been carrying him and other soldiers rolled a few more times as the flames engulfed it more, before finally exploding in the middle of the field. But he hadn’t heard any of it, only seen it, and with the pure shock of that, he raised his hand to his head, only to feel wetness. Pulling it away, he could barely see his hand was covered in blood through vision that was blurring and focusing randomly.

Just before his vision out completely, he could see the same kids he that he’d been watching play soccer earlier running over to him. The larger of the two leaned over to try to help him, and he couldn’t help the smile despite not hearing anything while the kid’s lips moved. He looks a little like Minho. And his eyes closed, the smile still there.


“Minho, Key, get up. Now.” Jonghyun threw a pillow at both of the boys in the same bunk bed. As he turned his attention to the bed under his own, his gaze got caught on the lone bed in the middle, still made for when Onew came back. Breaking the stare, he looked over at Taemin’s bed, only to see the boy already sitting up. “Manager-hyung is in the living room. Hurry up.”

Taemin was the first one to roll out of bed, and he fell to the floor with a thump before standing and mindlessly making his way out of the room. Jonghyun smiled a little at the maknae before turning to Key and Minho. Key was at least sitting up in his bed, but Minho was still asleep, so Jonghyun grabbed the blanket and pulled it off of the boy. Minho shivered without a shirt on and eventually got up just to get one to put on. As soon as he did, Jonghyun was pushing him out of the door. “Key~” Jonghyun sang.

“I’m up, I’m up.” He stumbled down from the top bunk and stopped to look in a mirror on the wall to fix his hair before putting on a pair of glasses. He froze for a minute as soon as he did, and Jonghyun looked closely before it dawned on him. Those are Onew’s spare glasses… Key let out a shaky sigh as he carefully took off the glasses and placed them back exactly as they were. Making sure this time, he grabbed his own pair and put them on before walking out with Jonghyun behind him.

Their manager was already sitting in a chair in the living room with Minho and Taemin, who was drinking a bottle of banana milk, on the couch. Key took the empty space by them, leaving Jonghyun to take the only chair left. Onew’s chair. Instead, he chose to stand behind his younger brothers at the couch. “What’s this all about?”

The manager was silent for a moment, and the slight fear in the air built up more. “Onew… his car got blown up. Nobody knows where he is, but he wasn’t found in the area.”

Their world was crumbling.


Jinki went to sit up in the bed, only to feel something wrapped around his chest that made it too hard to do so. Cracking his eyes open, light blinded him at first, but even after that cleared, he couldn’t see perfectly. “Are you awake?” The voice sounded too far away for how close the boy was, and Jinki only squinted at him until the boy repeated. “I said, are you awake?”

“Yeah.” His voice was hoarse, raspy, and he desperately needed water. As if reading his mind, the kid handed him a cup and Jinki greedily drank it. After clearing his throat, he spoke again. “Thanks.” It was still raspy, but that might have just been his voice. He really couldn’t remember.

“I’ll get my parents.” And he was running out of the room, leaving Jinki alone. Once he looked around at what he could see a little more, Jinki was realizing he wasn’t in a hospital like he thought, but maybe a doctor’s office or the home of a nurse. Looking down, he realized there was nothing covering his chest clothing wise, but it didn’t really matter with all the bandages wrapped around. Some placed were stained red, but Jinki tried not to linger too much on that, turning his attention to the rest of his body. His face felt numb, but he had no idea why.

Other than his chest, there was nothing major he could see on the upper-half of his body except for a few places where his arms were wrapped for what he guessed to be more cuts. The lump under the blanket didn’t look as promising, however. After trying to move his toes and seeing nothing, Jinki braved it and looked under the sheet to see a cast wrapped all the way up from his toes to his waist. What happened? Where am I?

The boy came running back in, followed by who Jinki could only guess were his parents. His dad was obviously a doctor, if the medical gloves he was pulling on and name badge from the hospital were saying anything. The mother, however, also seemed to know what she was doing, and Jinki soon saw her doctor name tag as well. Least I know they aren’t screwing anything up. “Where am I? What happened?”

“You’re at our house. Kibum was with his friends when your car hit the mine.” The father patted the kid’s shoulder, and Jinki tried to store the name into his head. Every time he thought of it, he felt he should know another Kibum, but it just wasn’t coming up.

“Car? Mine?”

The two adults exchanged a look before the lady stepped forward. “My husband and I are both doctors and we’ve been taking care of you, but I need to check your head. You seemed to have hit it hard.” Jinki nodded slightly, not liking the fact that his questions were ignored, but listened to her speak and did her tests. With each one of her sighs, he knew he was doing worse and worse. “Do you know your name at least?”

“Jinki. Lee Jinki.” He’d had to think for a moment on it, but once he had, he knew the name was right.

“Do you know what year it is?” Kibum went to ask his dad why his mother was asking a question like that, but was quieted and eventually turned to look back at Jinki.

“2005.” He answered without hesitation, but the eyes of almost everyone in the room widened. “Isn’t it?”

“Jinki… it’s 2013.”

“It’s… what?” His eyes were wide as he looked at the family of three that had taken him in and was caring for him, not believing it. “I would be 23, and I’m not. I don’t even have an identification card yet.” He shook his head, and scorched hair fell into his face.

Kibum looked at his father before running out of the room. A minute later, he returned carrying the bag he found with Jinki. “This is your bag. It still has all of your things in it.” He put it on the ground to dig through it, eventually coming up with a wallet. Opening it, he pulled out a card and nodded as he read it before handing it to Jinki. “I think this is you.”

Jinki grabbed the card with a shaking hand and started to read the information on it, tears running down his cheeks as he nodded a little. Kibum’s father tried to get the boy to leave the room, but Kibum refused to. Jinki ran his hand over the face of the card, knowing the identification number on there was his own. “I’m not 23…”

“Jinki, it’s okay.” A hand was laid on his shoulder, courtesy of the mother. “Can you remember anyone that we could get in contact with?”

He shook his head, before thinking for a few seconds. “My umma.”

“Do you know her number?” He nodded and a phone was handed to him from somewhere.

Slowly, he punched a number into the phone before handing it back. “I can’t talk to her. I don’t know what to say.”

“It’s okay.” She patted his shoulder once more as the phone rang before it was picked up. “Mrs. Lee? Your son Jinki is with me…”

She stood and walked out of the room as she spoke, leaving Jinki alone with Kibum and her husband. He looked between them, tears still in his eyes. “It’s really 2013?”

Kibum nodded and went to talk, only to be held back by his father once again. With a huff, he crossed his arms over his chest and leaned back on the wall as he neared Jinki in the bed. “Jinki, I’m Park Dae-Ho. That’s my wife Chun Hei. You already know that we are doctors, right?” Jinki nodded slowly. “Well, as she is talking to your mother, I need you to tell me if you hurt anywhere so we can fix it, okay?”

“Nowhere that isn’t already bandaged.” Dae-Ho nodded at that, a little relieved. “But what happened to me? From the accident?” He sighed a little, and Jinki even saw Kibum wince a little at the question. “Am I seriously hurt or anything?”

“Your leg was crushed in it, so that’s all casted. There was a lot of glass throughout your back and chest, but we also removed that and stitched it up…” He paused for a moment to gauge Jinki’s reaction to that news, but there was little that he showed at it.

Before he could say the last part, however, Kibum was butting in. “You were burned a lot too. Your arms and a lot of your face. There was still flames on your hair when I found you.” Jinki’s eyes widened a lot more at that, and Kibum leaned back onto the wall at his father’s glare.

“H-how bad is it?” Jinki didn’t even know why he was worried about how bad his face looked, seeing as he was never the best looking and it didn’t really  matter before, but it suddenly did to him and he didn’t know why.

“…You should see for yourself.” A mirror was grabbed from one of the tables in the room and handed to Jinki. He was almost afraid, but still turned the reflective part to face himself, grimacing at the blistered face that stared back at him, most of it even wrapped up. His hair was all different lengths and burned off in places, but that could be fixed with a haircut. He wanted to poke his face and see if the marks were real, but had a feeling that would do more harm than good. “It shouldn’t scar too much, though. Especially with scar treatments nowadays.”

Before Jinki could respond to that, Chun Hei was walking back into the room, holding the phone at to him. “Your mother wants to talk to you.”

He hesitantly took it and held it a little away from his lesser bandaged ear. “Umma?”

“Jinki!” She was practically crying into the phone and it broke his heart just hearing it. “Thank the gods you are safe! We all heard about the accident and your friends in SHINee are all worried and everyone thought you were dead, and, and…” She finally broke down into the phone, but Jinki was still stuck on something she had said before.

“Umma, I’m okay. But who’s this shine-e?” He stumbled over the pronunciation of the foreign word and heard his mother’s breath hitch over the phone. “Umma?”

“I’ll take care of her, Jinki.” The phone was pulled from his grasp by Chun Hei, who walked out of the room talking into the phone gently to his mother. Jinki furrowed his brow and went to refuse, only to feel a hand on his shoulder. Following it up, Dae-Ho was shaking his head with a slight smile.

“She’ll handle it.”

He nodded a little, trusting the man, before thinking of the question he asked his mother. “Do you know who this shine-e is?”

“SHINee?” Kibum’s eyes lit up and he practically ran out of the room, returning a minute later with a laptop. Putting it on a table, he opened a new page and typed so fast Jinki’s head hurt before turning it around to show him a video. “They are one of the best groups around. You even have the same name as their leader! But he joined the army recently, so he isn’t with them at the moment.”

The video played and Jinki’s eyes were transfixed on the five boys dancing around on the screen while singing. He felt he should know the songs, and the words were coming to him seemingly faster than being played. Kibum watched Jinki closely the whole song, finding it strange that he knew the words without knowing who the band was.

But when it finished, he closed the laptop. “Kibum, go help your mother start dinner. I’ll be there in a few minutes.” The boy sighed but stood, taking the laptop with him. Dae-Ho turned to Jinki. “Any more questions?”


“I’m telling you! Our Jinki is Onew! He even knew the words to the songs without knowing of SHINee before and he has the same name and birthday and they are from the same town and the same age and are even both in the military at the same time! You saw his bag color; he was still in his first six months, just like Onew! They are the same!” Kibum stomped his foot for his parents to listen to him, but neither seemed to believe him.

“Kibum, I told you, he isn’t Onew.” Kibum huffed and stormed out of the room to set the table, leaving his parents along. Chun Hei turned to her husband and stared deep into his eyes. “He isn’t, right?”

“We could always ask his mother when she comes for him. We’ll know then.” They both jumped a little at the sound of Kibum yelling from the other room. Rushing out, they saw Jinki standing there on the crutches they had left in the room for him. “Jinki!”

They both went to get him to sit, but the male shook his head. “I’m fine. You have been so nice for me, I was wondering if there was any way to help.”

“You can help by sitting down and not moving. You’re only going to hurt yourself if you do.” He finally let Chun Hei sit him down in a chair at the table before sighing. “You don’t have to do anything, okay?”

Jinki slowly nodded and was left in the room with Kibum when the parents went back to the kitchen. “Can I help you set the table?”

“Sure…” He handed over a few plates and some utensils, which Jinki put out quickly. “Can I ask you something?” He saw the older boy nod, so he continued without another answer. “What’s one of the last things you remember?”

“Um…” He thought a little as they set the rest of the table in silence. “I was preparing for an audition at some company. My mother wanted me to try since she said I was a really good singer. But I was fifteen then… I guess I’m not anymore.” He chuckled a little, trying to accept that fact but not quite used to it.

“Can I ask you something else?”

“You’re asking a lot of questions. I might not be able to answer, but sure.” Jinki shrugged before straightening a place-setting his could reach.

“Is your nickname Onew?”

“How’d you know?” Jinki looked at the kid suspiciously. “I’ve never seen you before, and only my friends call me that.” But Kibum was too busy in his own little word to listen. The Lee Jinki in my house is Onew from SHINee. Onew from SHINee is in my house. Onew doesn’t remember anything about SHINee. He felt ready to faint.