Chapter 12

Game of Chess

Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

The game can only be played

once the he players are here

Kyungsoo was never be a type of person who sulks on anything. He was pretty much a happy guy, although he may not look like it. However today was a bit different as he read a single message on his phone. His eyes narrowed somehow dangerously.

Have you chose your major yet?

No chitchat, no formal greeting – no, simple hi either. Maybe there’s where Kyungsoo inherited his straight forwardness. And the thought just worsen his day entirely. Pocketed his white phone, the White Leader messed with his hair before continued heading towards the school.

Now when you remember, or Kyungsoo does, school is not exactly a place to escape. The recent problem was enough headache to him. And now it’s not for only his or the fellow Whites’ sake but others too. Luhan and his rather-obnoxious bunch of friends and of course Kang Seukri.

Kyungsoo’s breath stopped. His mind drifted to few days back, night sky, bursting of colors, lights dimmed making it looks like it was all part of his dream and his rather blurted words. He groaned quietly. Those words – his promise, of course he meant it but it doesn’t make it necessary to say it out loud.

At this point the White Leader is more than glad for having such an expressionless face or then his flustered and awkward feeling would eat him alive. Beside now coordinating with the female painter would be extremely helpful. She was noticeably close with his counter-part, Luhan after all.

But that doesn’t make Kyungsoo used Seukri for his advantage, of course. Beside Luhan’s extreme fondness towards the girl was already benefiting enough for him as the Black Leader’s temperament was kept at most of times.

“White Leader!” he heard someone called him, when Kyungsoo turned his head he found himself rather confused as heading towards his direction were Chanyeol, Tao and Baekhyun on tow. Kyungsoo effortlessly keep his stoic face even if in the actuality he was panicking inside. Never in his so-called leadership career has a Black member aside of the representative, Jongin and of course, their leader, Luhan, made a single attempt to greet him in a more casual way.

Kyungsoo cannot help but smile. Maybe everything was turning a bit different but he found nothing wrong with it as he saw Baekhyun, his years-for-now friend, was looking livelier, better than a perfect, genius yet ADD guy. Perhaps reconcile with his childhood friend was indeed the right thing to let go… Kyungsoo referred at Park Chanyeol.

One thing that Kyungsoo uncomfortable with the factions is the fact students are parting from their old or new friends. Baekhyun was one of them but because of his rather special need, he took it wrongly and changed in the process. “Hi,” Kyungsoo meekly waved his hand towards the boys as he trying to divert himself on thinking further.

The White Leader flinched at Tao’s presence. One of the Blacks he rather avoid for his own well-being. Luhan made the younger boy sounded so scary, Kyungsoo suspected it to be part of bluff or way to vent his anger. But he won’t take any chances, beside Tao’s Wushu’s skill is verified.

“Good morning Kyungsoo” Baekhyun gave a toothy grin. He doesn’t use an honorific for Kyungsoo’s status. He doesn’t mind, but questioning it was understandable. But Kyungsoo knows how to put A and B together so he concluded since the incident started from yesterday, Baekhyun doesn’t exactly thought either is faction still exist.

One thing to ask however still remained. “Why are you with Baekhyun?” Kyungsoo asked carefully to avoid any unnecessary thing later on. Chanyeol gave a lively laugh, typical happy-virus as he heard Luhan talked about him. To think about it, most information of Blacks’ member came from the Black Leader himself, was Kyungsoo is that close with Luhan after all? Kyungsoo could only shook the matter away as Chanyeol was about to explain.

“Well, Leader wasn’t expecting us,” he pointed Tao also as he spoke this. “So we got kicked, ‘go yourselves’ as I quote” Chanyeol tried and failed to mimic Luhan’s tone. The feeling is off and Chanyeol’s deep voice is not helping his attempt.

“Then we saw Baekhyun, apparently Tao admired his paintings so… here we are!” the towering man exclaimed. Kyungsoo however has his interest on some minor detail that might unrelated to his previous question.

“Where’s Luhan then?” the White Leader’s tone somehow directed back to himself, asking it to no one in particular. However Baekhyun pointed at something behind the White Leader. Kyungsoo followed the direction only to let his jaw dropped slightly.

Luhan was there, with Jongin as per usual, Risa and Kang Seukri. The four of them seem to be very happy right now. Even though Kyungsoo wasn’t a jealous type, he couldn’t deny something green called envy, washed over him. The reason is not particular, he even cannot distinguish it. But the more he look at the Black Leader and a certain painter interacted with each other made a small knot inside of Kyungsoo’s stomach.

~//~

“So,” Jongin leaned from his chair with his eyes on a half-Japanese girl, annoyed her in the process. It was an irony, really, for both representative came from a same class. Kim Jongin’s seat was right in front of Risa. Currently Jongin sat in the opposite way and rested his arms on the chair’s back.

He paused and Risa looked up from her home works to half-heartedly stare at him. “Why did you stop?” the girl inquired. “I’m listening, please continue” she said shortly before continued with her previous work.

“So,” another dreadful pause filled with sounds of Risa’s writing down math problems. The White Representative is now glared at Jongin.

“If you’re planning to irritate me, you did a very good job Jongin-ah” the girl doesn’t exactly sounded happy at all. One more look before Risa’s back to her work. And now is Jongin’s turn to look disappointed at something he also don’t quite understand.

“You’ve been avoiding me” his statement made Risa jumped on her seat. Her eyes widened at the words, quickly she looked up from her work once again but she didn’t speak another word before she finally shook of the surprise.

“Why would I avoid you,” Risa started finally managed to blurt out her thoughts without actually thinking about it. When she does, she made a small change to her previous sentence. “To think why would I stick with you in the first place?” her words are somewhat sounded colder than she intended.

Jongin’s head turned to the side. “I don’t know, maybe because of some chain of events we become a lot more closer?” his words made the girl flustered and looked away.

“Like you say, it’s all because of the current events and our positions. But judging by the current situation then,” Risa paused, unsure if it’s okay for her to continue. “Then we’re not exactly the representatives anymore and…”

“You say?”

Risa fiddled with the papers on her desk. “Luhan might’ve forgot to tell you but he and Kyungsoo decided it was the best for both groups for not being separated”

Jongin leaned closer, now his eyes glued to her. “That’s not what I meant, your tone trailed and I might thought you say something else”

“Well, I’m not going to say anything else aside of that”

“Risa, me and you know that you are quite a bad liar” Jongin stated firmly.

The half-Japanese gulped before she tried to remember the lost words. “And… even if we’re back from a different factions, we don’t, we shouldn’t meddle with each other’s business” she finally spoke out. She watched Jongin nodded his head before fixed his seating position. For a second, Risa felt a bit guilty but instead of asking she was referring to something else.

“Jongin,” the young man made a grunt sound. “You sounded like you want to say something – at the very beginning” the boy turned his head around to see Risa before he half-smiled.

“I was just wondering when your cousin will be here?” he asked. At that Risa could only smiled back, even if their smiles were fake and forced.

“She will be here,” she gazed out the room through the glass window. “Although some things might happen on her arrival” Risa told Jongin meaningfully and left the boy with mild-confusion and curiosity.

~//~

Luhan is becoming a person with patience it seems. However he still have limited amount of them. Even though it does improving he still have lesser than Seukri or Kyungsoo who are both of them were some people who has amazingly long patience.

But this is just too much for him to comprehend as both men in front of him literally don’t even feel the Black Leader’s presence to his pure annoyance. Luhan tapped his own cheek as he counted how many second he has been invisible to his teacher and his apparent acquaintance.

“It’s sure been long Joonmyeon” Kris said as he shook the other man’s hand. He was clearly short compared with the towering English teacher. He has bright smile in compare with Kris’ usual colder demeanor. It was a mystery for Luhan how come such two different looking persons would even know each other.

Joonmyeon chuckled when they let their hands off. “Of course, I mean we graduated university years ago” he said and this perked Luhan’s attention as the student is trying to found out this guy’s background and the relationship he and the English teacher shared.

Are they friends? Best friends? Ex-friends? Enemy? Rivals? Or…

The thought however halted when Kris finally – finally, if Luhan has lost his dignity he might cried happy tears – recognized the Black Leader’s presence. “Joonmyeon, this is Luhan. One of the leaders I have told you. He’s Black to be precise” Kris introduced and the other man nodded his head before offering Luhan a handshake which the high school student took.

“Luhan”

“Kim Joonmyeon” after acknowledging the others, the Black Leader’s authority suddenly suffocating the surrounding. Kris is already used to this however Joonmyeon shivered slightly.

“So,” Luhan started. “What do you do Joonmyeon-sshi?”

Joonmyeon smiled. He knows these kids won’t even let someone – even the said someone was about to help them – just waltzed in front of them. “I’m a photographer” at his answer Luhan’s eyebrow slightly raised.

“How you’re being a photographer will help us?”

At the rude remark, Kris is about to scold the Black Leader. And yes, even if he’s against the whole ‘let’s-kick-the-leaders-so-the-students-will-obey-us’ thing, Kris is still a teacher with responsibilities. However before he do so, Joonmyeon’s smile practically saying that the words are not in a bit offended the photographer.

Joonmyeon pointed at Luhan. “Is there any more male student that as pretty as you?” he asked seriously and Luhan was really furious. He’s manly – as he told himself millionth of times – and is not pretty in kinds of way.

“Of course not” he answered harshly only to receive a dark look from his teacher.

Kris rolled his eyes. “That’s not what he asked narcissist bastard” he said and clearly Joonmyeon doesn’t approve the teacher’s choice of words. Maybe they should switch jobs if that was a possible thing to do.

“Luhan-sshi, the question happened to be a key of what I can help further on” the photographer explained and Luhan’s feature became serious as he silently thought of possible people.

“Well, there’s Sehun and Baekhyun – even if he’s a White. If you don’t mean pretty there’s other people too” he answered easily and Joonmyeon nodded.

“Okay that’s all I know for now” his reply made Luhan snapped out of his thought as Joonmyeon is about to leave the empty classroom.

Luhan stepped forward. “Yah, how come that will help our case?” he demanded and Joonmyeon turned around. Suddenly a calmer atmosphere brushed through the Black Leader. Who knows the timid-looking adult could have such charisma?

The smile on his face never faded – even if a student clearly getting under his skin. “Relax, everything will come into place” his words flew easily as he exited the room. Silence filled in before Luhan turned to face his English teacher.

“How come you befriended to such person?” Luhan asked in disbelief.

“I don’t know myself” Kris answered truthfully. The Black Leader gave a skeptical look before crossing both his arms in front of his chest.

“You know what teacher, you could learn from him how to impress people by not intimidating them” Luhan suggested.

“Oh, shut up kid…”

~//~

Seukri still could feel the awkward tense between both factions and how the students avoid teachers at all cost. They were afraid even if they don’t speak it aloud. In the contrary their gestures do the speaking all the time. Some student even planned pranks to the teacher, however in the reality they never do it.

The painter understands completely that everything is on the edge. Even if she knows so little on how things turned out this way in the first place, as one of people who had present in the yesterday’s meeting, she knows help will come.

Risa told her that her cousin is on her way here and there’s no need to worry. She’s not the type who’s late, that’s what Risa had said. But curiosity and wariness are floating around her all day and it’s started to suffocate Seukri. So she distracted herself by looking for object to draw or paint, hopefully her attention will divert eventually.

She found an object – or more likely she forced herself into painting it. How boring it could get? Fruits in a bowl. That’s just so classic, Seukri lazily thought. But maybe it was better than just staring at Baekhyun painting instead of doing one herself. She knows painter hate being watched and she knows even if the boy said nothing, he was bothered by her stare.

So Seukri excused herself with her homeroom teacher – who has this super annoying look on his face all day – to go to home economy class. It’s one of the emptiest class in the school as Jongin once remarked.

The K-Pop wave sure is huge, now most freshmen choose choreography or singing instead of other art department or general studies. No offence though, to think most of her friends are part of the dance and sing related majors.

She was onto her mind until she arrived at the said room. However when she was about the slide the door open, someone beat her on that. The door slid from inside and there were a boy with a blank expression on his face.

“Oh, hi Kyungsoo” Seukri greeted and the boy was in silence before nodded shortly and left to the opposite direction from where she come. Seukri titled her head to the side as she watched the White Leader’s back furthering away. How weird, Seukri thought. She doesn’t know what but something is definitely lost from the normal Do Kyungsoo.

“Are you going to stand there forever?” a voice asked from inside the room and Seukri saw a boy with white apron tied around his waist. A smile on his features and chubby cheeks. However his school uniform told her he was one of the senior – one year older than her despite the youthful look he possessed.

Seukri glanced around. Instead of normal classroom, the room was filled with counters and cooking utensils. She faced the other occupant. “I’m looking for some fruits and a bowl” she told him and the boy grinned.

“A bored painter here” he commented and it made Seukri flustered. “It’s okay, wait there. I will look for them” the boy offered before looking inside the fridge and searched for a pretty bowl from the cabinets. He returned shortly with the said things.

“Here you go” he handed the stuff to Seukri.

Seukri smiled gratefully at him. “Thanks a lot, my name is Kang Seukri from graphic division 2nd grade” she introduced herself. Somehow she felt it’s only normal for her to tell her name and class. Beside maybe they will work together or something regarding on what will happen near in the future.

The boy grinned – but in a different way comparing Luhan, Seukri noted. “Of course I know you” he said off handily. “I’m Kim Minseok, a third year student and as you can see I took culinary as my major. I hope we can get along” he introduced himself in exchange.

The painter nodded her head with a smile, agreed with Minseok. However she was still quite bothered by something else that might not related on the matter in hand. “So, why the White Leader was here? I know it’s not my business… but maybe I’m just curious. It’s okay if you don’t want to answer though” she added when Minseok’s smile kind of dropped slightly, almost unnoticeable.

Minseok shook his head when another smile came to his face. He chuckled after that. “Don’t let Kyungsoo heard you call his name like that!” he said. “Beside with this whole hectic situation it wasn’t actually necessary on thinking we have leaders. Right now all I can see is we are as one student body who are fighting injustice to fellow student…” Minseok glanced towards the now confused Kang Seukri.

“I’m talking nonsense, am I?” Minseok laughed and Seukri for some reason shook her head.

“I think it was fine for having a rant. It’s your last year of high school and yet this happen” she tried to reasoned. Minseok smiled a bit before he walked towards his counter and resumed his work.

In between him kneading the dough on the counter, Minseok looked up to see Seukri is still there. He seemed to weight some matter before finally spoke up. “And Kyungsoo came because the fact I’m part of Whites and all” he added a small smile. “And of course because he missed me” Minseok chuckled and Seukri giggled along with him.

“I guess that’s explain a lot” Seukri finally accept the answer even if uneasiness is still stuck inside her chest. “I should go now, my homeroom teacher might worried or something,” more like something though.

Seukri gave a small goodbye wave. “See you later Minseok Sunbae” she said and Minseok replied with a frantic wave.

“See you around Kang Seukri!” with that the painter left the room. She took one last glance of the room before heading towards her class. In the way Seukri ignored her curiosity of Kyungsoo.

Aish, Kang Seukri why are you thinking about him? She thought before speeding up, her footsteps echoed in the hallway.

~//~

Park Chanyeol thought today was certainly one of the best day in his high school life. After almost two years since the birth of the factions he and Baekhyun – his best friend – caught in the differences. However the current situation changed so many things in short period. He doesn’t know whether it’s a good thing or not.

But one thing for sure, now Chanyeol could not blame the White Leader, or he know preferred Kyungsoo, over the relationship between him and his best friend. With happiness and glee, the towering boy strut on the front yard.

It was lunch period, his personal favorite. However instead of practicing on the free yard, no one dared to make a single move that is counted as dancing. It was scary how sudden the teacher advanced towards them. But in the middle of his peaceful lunch, the tall boy spotted an unusual figure.

Short hair that reached the back of the neck, and a black cap. Silver earing on one ear, White short sleeved work shirt and black vest with a matching black trousers. It was indeed suspicious, but Chanyeol approached the person nonetheless.

With suspiciousness and curiousness still painted on his face, the Happy Virus greeted the figure. “Hello, are you looking for someone?” he asked suddenly, a bit regretting it afterwards when his eyes met a serious looking gaze.

“I’m looking for my sister” the person answered in matter of fact tone and Chanyeol nodded his head in reflex. “And if it’s okay with you, can you help me find her place. It’s my first time here” at the explanation, Chanyeol merely grinned.

“Sure-sure, just tell me where her class is and I’ll you there” seriously, when he answered this, Chanyeol asked himself why he’s not the Black Representative instead of Jongin.

~//~

Seukri watched the photographer in awe. Surely enough Kim Joonmyeon gave this ‘professional’ aura wherever he goes. And it was more than clear Luhan was pissed. It was a common knowledge that the Blacks, even if there’s no base on the theory, shared one same thing: never like being bossed by some ignorant adults.

And to think those ignorant adults thought the same thing about them.

“So, you want me to gather these guys,” the Black Leader gestured towards the lining up boys namely Jongin and Sehun, “And use them as models, what the benefit of them partnering with you?” Although the question was stupidly made – and all Kris wants now is Luhan’s head – the Black Leader stares with his eyes still glued at Joonmyeon who is still have his unlimited amount of patience.

It’s actually very scary when he just stand there, trying to explain with his never wavering smile of his. And it’s getting under Luhan’s nerve. Or maybe that’s partly because of his nervousness. If it wouldn’t sound offending, Seukri would at least feel amused by it.

However that wasn’t the only thing that made her nervous. Seukri feels her face flushed when her eyes caught Kyungsoo’s eyes. Somehow, without any certain reason, there’s something lurching inside her stomach. It was so obvious, she cannot decline the presence of the unusual feeling.

Back to the previous conversation, Risa who’s partly become Kyungsoo’s mouth at this occasion, spoke. “Luhan-sshi, I think it’s a very obvious proposition Joonmyeon ahjussi just give us now” she tried to sounded less hostile, but not everyone can hold their anger against the usual hot-tempered Black Leader as good as Joonmyeon. Even the nonchalant Do Kyungsoo has his limit too.

But before Luhan could snap – and worsen the bloodcurdling stare Kris and Risa is giving him – the door creaked open. All eyes landed on the new occupant of the room. “Hello,” Baekhyun gave one small wave as he entered the room.

The painter’s gaze swept the room until it stopped on Risa’s way. “Risa, Chanyeol has been looking for you” Baekhyun’s tone is flat, a great comparison with Risa’s surprised look. What’s Chanyeol want by looking for her? She questioned herself as she asked back to Baekhyun about the whole thing. However she did miss one annoyed look from a certain Black Representative.

Jongin’s eyes widened when Kyungsoo shook his head, completely understand entirely the whole meaning of his expression.

“He’s escorting your oppa” Baekhyun’s answer brought total chaos and confusion in the room. Outburst came mostly from Seukri – as she has no idea Risa have a brother, Jongin – as he doesn’t know Im Risa could get herself a boyfriend, and surprisingly Kyungsoo – who knows exactly that Risa has neither.

Risa’s jaw dropped. “Baekhyun, you do know I’m an only child, right?” she pointed out and Baekhyun nodded his head.

“Of course I know that, but Chanyeol told me about it-“

The door opened abruptly. “Is there Risa here” Chanyeol shouted with his deep voice. As his eyes laid on the White Representative, he pulled the figure behind him and in a second he opened his mouth and another round of chaos happened once more. “Here is your oppa, Gil Risa” he grinned despite the shocked look Risa and the figure in black cap has in their face.

“O-oppa?” Chanyeol grinned, totally oblivious of the entire thing. No one speak until Joonmyeon does.

“Huh?” he analyzed the new person’s face. “I thought he was a girl, am I wrong?”

At a split moment the ‘guy’ glared daggers at the now terrified Park Chanyeol. “Yah!” the newly revealed as a girl yelled out, even though her voice wasn’t as high as normal girls. “How does a name like Im Riah sounded like a guy’s? Are you an idiot?!”

~//~

Kang Nami is a well-known chef. But aside of that, she’s the mother of one prodigious young painter in the country. This all adds up to one of her visit at the gallery on their district. Although small it was very endearing as Seukri’s first knowledgeable painting first showed.

Even though Nami always wished for the best, she was a bit hesitant about her daughter’s chance of getting into a grand art academy or an atelier. She sighed as her eyes still glazing over her daughter’s newly hung picture.

Seukri have been acting different since the painting of a night sky with bright colors of fireworks exploded. It’s very depressing just to think about it.

“Maybe she’s in love” a voice spoken up and Nami’s head turned to the direction of the voice. She was surprised to see a man standing there, his eyes covered by the dark sunglasses he currently wears.

Nami said nothing until the man finally took off the glasses as he talks. “Doesn’t it supposed to be obvious, Kang Nami-sshi?” as the mother saw his face and recognized it right away, she breathed out – more like shout –  his name.

“C-curator Zhang Yixing-sshi?!”

author's note--

author's note--

Finally this chapter is done! It takes a hell lot of time in between my schedules, but I hope this lenghty chapter provide you a good picture of what will happen in the future - or not.Some of you might notice I changed the way I type the characters' name. Well, I planned to change them like this. I might edited the previous chapters later when the whole story is done.And thank you for dearest readers, ||Game of Chess|| hit +500 views. Thank you for your support! I hope you guys like this chapter~! Don't forget feedbacks and comments are loved