Extra Story: Kris

Game of Chess

Extra Story

Extra Story

Kris, the English Teacher

ft. Kris

“Thank you for applied yourself here, teacher… Wu Fan?” the headmaster spoke his name carefully, afraid that he might offend a foreigner teacher in front of him. The headmaster stood up from his seat and extended one of his hands towards Kris.

“In anyway, welcome to Seoul Art High School” Kris smiled as he took the hand.

“Thank you for your help, but please call me Kris. I’ll be more comfortable that way” the headmaster laughed softly as he walked away from his desk and to Kris’ side. With a hand on the towering man’s shoulder, the headmaster let a comforting words.

“Then Teacher Kris that is. I hope you will enjoy your time educating these students”

As he finished saying these words, Kris bowed slightly and exited the room. As he closes the door behind him, Kris sighed. He’s actually very nervous about his first debut as a teacher. To be honest, he has zero experience as a teacher in a school. But with a sharp breath he began to walking down the hallway.

He had made the choice. He wants to be someone valuable towards people and he thought being a good teacher might help the future generation. Kris smiled a little on his thought, as the sound of his full-of-confidence footsteps echoed in the school hallway.

~//~

It was after school when he and the headmaster walked along the hallway. His first week had passed and Kris was full of questions. He don’t quite understand the situation of the school. Firstly his teacher authority wasn’t something even worth calling ‘authority’. In short, he was ignored most of the time.

Second, sometimes, even if he’s not exactly want to be a killer teacher, he wants his students to study at home too. But before he actually said what home work he will be giving, chaos ensues at the class. Usually Kris would be enraged, but the students are seem to have their reason. And somehow they looked and are convincing so he let it slide.

But wasn’t it weird? All teacher got the same treatment. He wouldn’t be surprised if it’s only apply on him, he is the newest teacher in the first place. All in one, he wasn’t angry but curiosity might already eat him up for supper.

“You asked why this happen?” Kris looked down at the headmaster – who is way shorter than him. He doesn’t remember the exact thing he had ask to the elderly. But guessing it might benefit him in the end, he answered yes.

The headmaster stopped walking and Kris did the same. He was confused, he thought they were walking towards an important meeting. But in the end, Kris didn’t ask anything. He’s just waiting as the headmaster looked at the window.

The sun beamed happily out there. From the second story where they at, when you looked below you could see group of students are dancing, some acting or there’s couple of students who are taking pictures. The headmaster let a smile crept on his old feature. “Maybe they found their happiness this way” he started. “We couldn’t make them into a smart, leading people. We can help them by giving guidance, but in the end only them than can choose their respective path”

Kris looked at the students on the yard. There was a silence between them. “…I don’t quite get it. In my eyes they were playing around instead of studying-“

“That’s what every teacher would think but these students, almost all of them had participated in various competition regarding their major” the headmaster said with proud at his students. Kris looked bewildered. He hadn’t think before that most of these students had already part of competitions.

“How? I mean, not all of them has connection or confidence. Let alone talent” laughter came from the old man and Kris became more confused.

“Thanks to the Black and White faction, they managed the whole thing. From the majors or the difficulties, they had counted them all and provide their best effort for their members. Surprising really, how in one year they managed to execute their plan… although,” the headmaster paused as he laughed to himself.

Kris blinked his eyes at the headmaster’s sudden behavior. “I’m sorry,” he apologized to the English teacher and cleared his throat.

“In anyway, they sometimes got into heated argument but you soon found yourself love them. These students are amazing in a lot aspect. And most importantly, have you meet the leaders yet? It actually doesn’t take much time to recognize their talent on leadership”

When the headmaster said that, actually an imaginary arrow stabbed Kris chest comically. To be honest, in his first week here, he never actually think any of them would be ‘leaders’ or any kind of it.

“Oh, right” he mumbled before both he and the headmaster continued their way to the oh-so important meeting.

~//~

After that conversation, Kris without his fully conscious is actually looking for the so-called Black and White leaders. He tried not to directly ask the students. No, he wouldn’t dare on that. But gladly, it is really unnecessary.

Kris take his usual routine. Go to his class, teach and then head directly to the teacher’s longue, doing his job as best as he could. But today, something different happened.

He was typing the student report for the first term. He found it hard so he pinched the bridge of his nose and tried to clear his mind when suddenly the teacher’s longue door was swung open and it hit the wall loudly.

“Oi, Luhan, that’s not the way to negotiate!” Kris heard someone said, so even if he’s not the biggest fan of eavesdropping, curiosity is still got the best of him. He peeked from his small cubicle office and he saw two male students, one shorter than the other waltzing right to Teacher Park, the science teacher.

Kris slightly flinched when the shorter teen slammed his hand on Teacher Park’s desk. Although Kris wasn’t exactly the most obedient student on his days, he wouldn’t dare to do that – straightforwardly anyway.

“I want to talk” the student said firmly with a deep angry look. The other one just stood beside him with stern look. The teachers are too watching and Teacher Park could only give a half-disgusted look.

“What can I help you Student Luhan?” he asked and the student, Luhan slammed his fist again.

“Don’t say ‘what can I help’ Teacher Park” Luhan rolled his eyes. “In the contrary you know I need to do something that unfortunately includes you” he pointed at the science teacher.

The teacher glared at the fuming Luhan. “What do you mean?” he asked as Luhan sat on the teacher’s desk. The student gazed towards his teacher and a small creepy smile appeared on his face.

“Why do you banned the rapping club?” Luhan cut off the chase and after hearing this Kris could only nodded his head. Recently he heard this problem, but he never guess somehow a student just barged in without any warning and get into the point.

“S-simply b-because it will hinder the students will to study!” the science teacher insisted and Luhan scoffed before staring back at his teacher.

“Yah, I thought school supposed to be a place where students could explore their world. But from what you just say you want us to be robots” he paused when his eyes simply dug itself to the teacher’s core. “So, I, as the Black Leader, won’t allow this. The club stays and you will never ever can do anything about it”

As he declared this, Luhan jumped off the table and pulled the taller boy with him. Meanwhile Kris could see how angered Teacher Park is, and was not surprised when he stood up. “I also cannot let you do everything according to your will” he harshly scolded the self-proclaimed Black Leader.

Luhan turned around and his gaze was dark. It was an amazement for Kris that such child with a rather pretty face for a boy, would ever stare at people like that.

“I’m not” Luhan told him straightforwardly. “The teachers and the school had failed us and now it’s my duty as one of the leaders to do what I have to do so half of the entire student will get what they deserved in the first place”

And then both students left with a small thud came from the door.

In the next day the Rap Club is back and no teacher could ever argue with that. Kris just half smiled at the whole thing. Who would know such boy like in the name of Luhan could ever persuade people like the way he did.

Maybe the headmaster was right, these students are incredibly amazing.

~//~

A week after the incident, Kris was full of curiosity. After seeing how huge the cause a Black Leader could ever create, Kris wanted to know Luhan’s counterpart. Or widely known as the White Leader. But even if he put on a hawk eyes, Kris still can’t manage to see or let alone meet the leader of the other half.

Like his other day, Kris was on his small, boring office space when he saw the headmaster approached him. “What can I help?” Kris asked when suddenly the elder man gave him a yellow map. Kris gave a questioning look.

“Something happened and we need to help this student. It might be your first case, but work hard okay?” that was all the headmaster said, but Kris was left wondering.

Kris put down the stack of paper on the side of his desk. His eyes scanning the whole thing before he shrugged off. “Maybe that’s related to some students distracted behavior these days” he commented distinctly.

After his current job is done, Kris take a look at the stack of papers he has been assigned. With curious glint on his eyes, he took out the yellow map and slid the papers out. He read out a student record.

“Do Kyung Soo, class 2-A, general class…” he read on and after understanding the entire content of the papers he head off to the broadcasting room.

Kris hold a sigh. Usually it’s going to be a nice trip out of the teacher’s longue, if it’s a normal school. The English teacher just wished the Black faction students won’t make it harder for him just to call a single individual.

~//~

It was raining outside and if he’s not turning on the light of the teacher’s longue then it would be pitch dark. Kris was happy that people had already invented phone with mp3 player in it, or otherwise he would be very bored and afraid. It was passed the school active hours but the student in the name of Kyung Soo haven’t show the tip of his nose.

Kris was almost give up when suddenly the door was knocked and a rather small build male student entered. He bowed slightly to Kris and the teacher immediately stood up from his seat and greeted the student. “Are you Do Kyung Soo?” as he mentioned the name, the boy nodded his head.

“Please come here” Kris gestured towards his office space and pulled out a chair. He told Kyung Soo to take a seat which the younger one just followed his order without complaining.

After usual formal greeting and all that, Kris moved on to the main topic. “So about your major on study-“

“I don’t intend on changing that” Kyung Soo answered firmly. Kris was taken aback by the seems-to-be a rather small and fragile teenage boy.

“I’m not forcing you, I’m just…” Kris gulped. If he remembered the whole document that maybe he is was told to make this student to change his major. Kris straightened himself. He was not going to lie. “To be honest, I’m not going to make you change it. You will

Kyung Soo gave a weird look as his eyes looked at the English teacher as if he was joking. Kris is still staring at him, waiting for a readable answer. However he found none. This kid, Kyung Soo, know how to conceal his feelings. Interesting…

“Your right hand, I heard you even can’t lift a pan properly now” Kris accused and shocked is slightly painted on Kyung Soo’s face. Lightning flashing outside, followed by the thunderous sound of thunder.

“I… I still can manage” the student words are unsure. “No, I can still do it. I’m not going to change my major” Kyung Soo stated with determination. Kris eyebrow slightly raised. This kid, although he might not look like it, he has a huge willpower.

“Fine, you can throw away your other talent. The vocal teacher would be very disappointed” Kris tried to lure out Kyung Soo’s hesitation.

“I don’t give a thing to her recommendation or what-not” Kyung Soo shrugged. “That’s not where my passion laid. I stick on culinary” he declared once more. The rain outside is now turned into a rather huge storm.

Kris is still staring deeply at Kyung Soo before sighing and slumped his back to his seat. “It seems that I’m really bad at persuading people” he complained to no one. But then Kris’ eyes became more serious looking and Kyung Soo can’t help it but flinched.

“So, I wouldn’t force you. But instead we’ll just wait, will your hand get healed completely first or is it you running out of determination” as he said this Kyung Soo’s eyes narrowed. “No one gets hurt, all we do is waiting. But come here every school day after school’s hour is up. I will try to help you choose your options in hand”

Kyung Soo gave a look that saying ‘as if I would believe that’. At the student lack of cooperation, Kris pulled out a paper and wrote down a contract and handed it to Kyung Soo.

“Enough?”

The student read it thoroughly before nodding his head. “It’s good enough” he said that before stood up and bowed slightly. “I will come tomorrow, now I’m going to excuse myself” Kyung Soo then walked towards the door.

“Wait,” Kris stood up from his seat as he managed to stop Kyung Soo from exiting the room. Kris tried to dismiss the lump on his throat as he continued. “Why you’re not asking or receive any help from your leader?”

Kyung Soo chuckled but sound sad at the same time. “He… he also don’t know what should I do…”

When he answered this Kris just realized that Do Kyung Soo is in fact the White Leader. And somehow now, Kris is in a position where he’s the only one who can help him.

~//~

The board was over and the thing Kris was thinking was not far from disappointment. The headmaster too had tried his best but ultimately, they lost by voting. The headmaster will be out in less than three month and after that Kris will be left alone by his principal.

It would be okay if the faction stays. But the teacher found their excuse upon this matter, by planning to suspended the leaders once it for all.

“Won’t it sounds wrong?” Kris questioned on the next teacher board. He was seething with in the least definition was anger, but it’s not quite it too.

“What’s wrong with that?” Mr. Park, the science teacher retorted. “Last year in one case, they cannot manage their groups and we lost a lot of money for the damage it cost. This year we hardly being paid, thanks to them”

Kris doesn’t know what these children had caused. But for now he still need to negotiate for minimum damage for the student body. Somehow he found this right, teacher should protect his student at all cost right? Like when they got arrested on the police office at night, teacher need to come and give even one single scolding at least.

“I don’t quite know about that matter. But this excuse and your resolution won’t help any of us, let alone the students” Kris told them firmly.

Mrs. Lee, the language teacher sighed as she put her chin on her hands with both her arm supporting her head. “Teacher Wu” she started. “If you have a better thing, why won’t you discuss it with us?” she asked somehow in irritating manner.

“Please, on the study tour, if they can stay together without fighting would you rethink about the whole idea?” Kris offered.

Eventually they agreed. But somehow Kris had the feeling that it’s only one this time. All the teacher would find another oh-so great reason. He don’t know when exactly, but he feel that it was close to him. Lurking from behind and wait until he was being careless and off-guard.

author's note--

author's note--

First of all, I'm sorry for not updating recently! School's being a jerk and all but we have a lot of fun... I guess, if exam can be fun. Anyway, another extra and again, sorry if you perhaps waiting for Kyung Soo's extra. But I guess teacher Kris would make it up? Okay, now somehow I just remembered my homeroom teacher is an English teacher /slapped/ Anyway, thank you for reading guys!