Chapter 9

Game of Chess

Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Does the moon is lonely? But it looks s pretty up there.

Maybe these shall be answered when we opened our hearts to the bright moon up there

It was awkward. Way~ too awkward.

It seems most of the visitor choose to go to the haunted house what matter it cost. That makes the situation like this:

Baekhyun is the one behind. Looking at the wax figures along the hallway with incredibly huge interest. Kyung Soo although keeps moving, sometimes he stops and smirked, somewhat scarily. And Seuk Ri was caught in the middle in this situation. It was worsen by the cold sweats that started to form on her hand. “What should I do…” she muttered under her breath. She doesn’t know if she could either talk with the only people she knows here. Baekhyun is out of the picture, he was too busy with his mind.

Kyung Soo?

Seuk Ri looked at him and found he was smiling so mischievously as they could hear the others’ scream through the divider. And she stepped away in fear. But that step went noticed by the boy.

Kyung Soo turned around at her direction with slanted eyebrow. “Why are you getting further?” he asked or maybe interrogated Seuk Ri who flinched instantly.

The girl waved her hands in dismissal. “I’m not, I’m just making sure Baekhyun’s not lost” she made an excuse and immediately received a cynical look on Kyung Soo’s face. But before it gets worsen in Seuk Ri’s case, Kyung Soo walked towards the wall and leaned his back against it.

“He can take care of himself, he’s smarter than any of us in many perspective. Should have trust him more, don’t you think?” Kyung Soo told her without looking directly too Seuk Ri’s eyes. “We should wait here, the others seem to take some quite time anyway”

Seuk Ri nodded her head in agreement. She could hear Tao and Sehun’s scream just now, followed shortly by another round of more screaming. Gulp down the lump in , she headed towards the wall Kyung Soo and crouched next to him with her back leaning to the wall. Although she still keeps her distance.

There were more silence. And she was sure it’s going to eat her slowly.

Do I talked wrongly? Kyung Soo thought as he stole a glance to Seuk Ri who sat with bended knees two meters away from him. Do Kyung Soo, the White Leader had found this part of him years ago. The fact his tone was cold and harsh. It was unintended but just happened like that. Was it even fair? He almost got no friend thanks to his voice. Sometimes he wanted to change his voice. His voice…

No, I said I don’t want to take the offer. And why I even bother thinking about it?

Seuk Ri watched Kyung Soo’s face troubled. Is something is wrong? Did do anything wrong? These questions swirled inside the girl’s head. “Kyung Soo,” Seuk Ri called his name timidly. The White Leader turned his head towards her direction and flashed her a small smile. But that doesn’t actually washed away the bothered face he showed a moment ago. “Are you okay?” Seuk Ri asked. She, herself, was unsure whether it was a right question to raise.

“What?” Kyung Soo looked a bit taken aback. “Of course I’m okay” he answered quickly. And with that, Seuk Ri could only blinked her eyes and broke the eye contact with the boy. Kyung Soo looked at the girl again and he could feel the feeling that was tingling inside his chest for awhile now.

“Kang Seuk Ri,” Kyung Soo started, somehow his usual tone lost its confidence. Seuk Ri looked up to see the boy is not even look at her. But his face returned to troubled one. “Do I sounded like a bad guy? Do I sounded harsh?”

“Eh?”

Kyung Soo is now facing her. Somewhat there’s a panic and urgency showed on his face. “Do I sounded harsh and cold?” that tone of his voice made Seuk Ri started to panic as well. She was tongue-tied, unable to make her answer. And his eyes trapped Seuk Ri’s, made her unable to look away.

Kyung Soo sure sometimes emit a cold aura and talked in somewhat distinct way. But somehow, flashes of few moments they shared. When Kyung Soo helped her with the books, when she was trapped inside the school. The time he took her home and other things he helped her in their trip.

“…Sometimes” she uttered finally as she looked away. Kyung Soo sighed as if he knows the answer all along. And the answer wasn’t something that might comfort his heart.

“Is that so?” Kyung Soo said softly as he stared to his feet.

“Although,” Seuk Ri smiled as she started. “When you sounded like that, it always followed by good deeds. I think almost every time we met you always helped me” she looked up to Kyung Soo again.

“I’m sure you are a good person, Kyung Soo” her words made the boy smiled, unable to suppress the happiness on his heart. He leaned his back again but much more relaxed and his face was peaceful, like a person who saw light for the first time.

Kyung Soo heaved a relieved sigh and looked at Seuk Ri. “Thank you, Kang Seuk Ri”

~//~

The cold night breeze greeted them when they arrived on the balcony. It was a quite wide platform. On the edge of the fence, laid some scopes where you can look through and saw the city in front of them. On the side of the balcony you can saw hills and below is the colorful lights of the city. Where up in the night sky the stars are dimming lightly.

To put it simply, it was a magical sight.

Seuk Ri’s heartbeat racing upon the view. She ran to the fence and looked down to the city. Her eyes glimmered as the lights reflected into her eyes. Seuk Ri closed her eyes, letting the feeling of the place absorbed into her. This is definitely might be one of thing she would love to paint in the future.

“It’s really beautiful isn’t it” someone said and Seuk Ri opened her eyes and turned her head to look at the person. Luhan with his hair slightly blew along the wind. Both his arms are resting on the rail. He was looking at the sight in amazement.

Seuk Ri nodded her head as her interest returned to the view of the city. “It is” she agreed with the Black Leader. But then she realized on something she missed on the whole trip. “Luhan, I thought you have fear of height”

“I am” Luhan said. “But for some time I got medication, so actually I’m kind of light-headed right now” he explained. Seuk Ri nodded her head as both of them keep watching the stunning sight.

In the background they can heard the other students. Most of them already finished their visit at Madame Tussauds and joined the rest in the balcony. Jong In and Risa’s bicker are unavoidable where some couple are taking pictures near a heart shaped figure. Or some male students taking random pictures of themselves. Basically they’re enjoying their time to the max.

“Hey, Seuk Ri” Luhan said in excited tone. “Want to look through the scope?” he asked, pointing at the standing device near them. Seuk Ri nodded her head instantly, sharing the same enthusiasm. They headed towards an unused scope and Luhan bended a little to read the instruction.

Luhan smiled as he straighten himself. “Okay, simple enough” he said as he searched for money on his jeans’ pocket. Seuk Ri watched as Luhan inserted the money and gestured Seuk Ri to look first. Although hesitant at first, Seuk Ri looked through.

It was quite hard to adjust seeing with it, but she managed to have a closer look of the city. “Luhan you have to see this” she exclaimed and the Black Leader quickly took his turn. He shouted in surprise as he continued looking through it. Seuk Ri smiled as she saw Luhan happily looking through the scope and moved them, seeking for an even beautiful sight to hold. But for now, Seuk Ri found her heart beating faster just to watched a cheerful Luhan.

“Seuk Ri, I found something. Look, hurry!” Luhan pushed Seuk Ri towards the scope. But when she looked through it, it was black.

“Luhan, I can’t see a thing” she told him. Luhan frantically making sure what’s Seuk Ri said is true and it is. “I guess maybe the time’s up” the girl shrugged. She didn’t mind not looking at where Luhan saw something, but the Black Leader somehow bothered by it. He was rummaging through his pockets, searching for some penny to use.

“I got no more small money…” he muttered followed by a sigh. “Seuk Ri do you have some?” he asked but Seuk Ri shook her head. Most of her money was well, used for the shopping she did with Risa the other day. Seuk Ri purposely only bring small amount of money for this trip to the Peak.

Now Luhan could only sigh in defeat. He walked away and rested his arms on the fence again. But with less spirit than before. Seuk Ri followed her and also looked at where Luhan gaze at. Not specific, but the sight still overwhelmingly beautiful. “I’m sorry, I thought I could help you find something for your future painting” he said somewhat in depressed tone. Is he really taking it that deep? Seuk Ri wondered.

“Luhan,” Seuk Ri called him. She tried to smile her best as she continued. “Tell me what you saw, I would like to hear it” Luhan who already turned his head towards her way found Seuk Ri flashed him a smile. And warmth started to build somewhere inside him.

“Err, okay” he said and looked away, trying to hide his slightly reddened face.

~//~

“Chanyeol, wait!” that voice… the boy almost feel like dreaming when he heard his name being mentioned by his childhood friend. He turned around. Chanyeol’s face was a mix between surprised, confused but nonetheless happy.

“Baekhyun…” he uttered his ex-best friend’s name. The White ran towards him and showed him his sketch book.

“Can you be a model for me?” the painter asked innocently. But Chanyeol hasn’t gather much of his fallen brain cells. Upon not hearing any answer, Baekhyun’s eyebrow raised in question. “Are you okay Chanyeol?”

He could not hold it anymore. He simply couldn’t. “Yah, Byun Baekhyun!” Chanyeol shouted shamelessly. “How could you stop talking to me until now?!” he asked in furry. Baekhyun doesn’t exactly showed any feel of being offended. Instead he showed Chanyeol a toothy grin.

“You told me too,” he said and his words made an imaginative arrow stabbed through Chanyeol. But Baekhyun continued. “Since we’re not exactly on a different faction, so I guess what you said doesn’t apply anymore?”

“I said it doesn’t matter anymore!” Chanyeol shouted. “All I care is that I can stay with my best friend!” he exclaimed loudly.

From afar Kyung Soo and Kris were watching them closely. Kris is smiling happily while Kyung Soo just showed general pleasant mood. “See, all because of our plan” the teacher pointed out as he nudged the White Leader. “Sometimes even a king need to make a small sacrifice for the good of his people”

Kyung Soo merely scoffed. But he didn’t deny. Seeing his precious Whites member back to his previous self was something he’s waiting for almost two years. “Maybe you’re right” he finally agreed.

“Yah, let me see you recent works!” Meanwhile Chanyeol demanded Baekhyun’s sketchbook. Although hesitant Baekhyun handed the book. The other boy looked at various sketches with interest. Even if he’s not exactly into graphic, he likes his friend’s work.

But when he was looking at a picture, Chanyeol screamed as he dropped the book in fear. “Baekhyun, why you draw something so scary?!” he yelled and Baekhyun just stared blankly at him.

“I watched something like that”

Upon hearing this, Kris gave a dark look to Kyung Soo. “I thought you managed to make him not enter the haunted house” Kris accused the bewildered White Leader.

“I am!” Kyung Soo told Kris, slightly angry for being accused. “Me and Seuk Ri was with him all the time. We are not in that haunted hall or something like that” he explained, trying to point out things.

Kris thought for awhile before finally realized what the White Leader missed. “Do you keep him away from the TV monitors?” upon hearing the implication Kyung Soo face palmed.

He groaned. “I really forgot about that…”

~//~

After lunch, the students are heading towards the train station. Today is the third day and they were heading to the utmost place to visit in Hong Kong. “Disneyland, we’re coming!” Sehun and Chanyeol raced as they entered the special Disneyland train. To reach this station, they had to change trains some quite time. But it was worth it.

The train is a definite Disney. The windows shaped into Mickey Mouse and blue fabric seats are look a lot more comfortable than usual train seats. There are gold colored Disney character figures. And all students are taking pictures right away. Even if they’re not exactly at the place yet!

When they arrived and had purchased their tickets they found themselves in high excitement. Mostly the boys who are aiming to play all the attraction in this place. Some girls aren’t very much patience to about not heading directly to the attraction as well. But the stores are built so magically, some of them are peeking inside.

And that’s also applied on Seuk Ri and Risa. “Aww… what a cute dolls” Risa squealed as she handed her camera to the passing Chen and asked him to take her and Seuk Ri’s picture in front of a display. At her urgency, the boy couldn’t say no.

Risa who passed the store window almost enter it even if they just arrived. Gladly Jong In quickly ‘reminded’ her that they just came and she is already about to waste her money to something she might regret buying later. “Seriously Risa” Jong In rolled his eyes as he continued to walk. Risa behind her was glaring hotly but say nothing.

Soon the students are split into groups because they were heading towards different kind of attraction. Risa handed Baekhyun to Chanyeol and the two of them heading with Chen and Sehun somewhere. Luhan and Kyung Soo was forbade to being apart so obviously they stayed at the same group.

In the end Seuk Ri is going with Risa, Jong In, Kyung Soo-Luhan, and Tao. They’re heading to the attraction immediately. All of the heading towards Tomorrowland and almost all of them agreed on riding Orbitron first. But Luhan yet must persuade the White Leader just to make him on the thing.

“Oh come on, you passed the haunted house but it’s just a small kid’s game and yet you refused” Luhan pointed out but Kyung Soo gave a stern look. “Come on, please. We even on the line already”

Kyung Soo gave a sharp sigh. “Luhan, somehow even it was fun for me to watch you stuck like a cat on a tree. I reckon you acknowledge your phobia” Luhan merely laughed.

“I don’t know you really care much of me!” he said in a flattering tone. He slung an arm around Kyung Soo’s neck. “But don’t worry, I won’t get scared. Beside this is a child’s game” as he said that an announcement told them and the some other part of the line to proceed to the contraption.

Kyung Soo gave more questioning look but then he just shook his head as he followed Luhan to one of the ride. Luhan smirked in triumph as he declared the front seat with the controller. The White Leader didn’t say anything to the obvious, but inside his head he was preparing a round of satisfying mental laugh.

So Kyung Soo silently strapped himself with the safety belt where Luhan who already did it before him, was playing with the controller. He was very excited he was moving it upwards and downwards with power. In which Kyung Soo behind him was watching in amusement. And this amusement or maybe, mental bullying getting more exciting as the machine started to purr.

And the ride goes higher. And higher, and a lot higher to the point you can see far much far away. “I think I saw the other group!” Risa pointed a small bunch of people and she and Seuk Ri waved at them, and maybe Risa’s eyesight was really good because they waved too. That, or maybe random people thought it was necessary.

On the other machine Tao and Jong In are shouting endlessly. The way Jong In take control of the ride is simply ride. It would go up and down then up and down continuously and they surely proven themselves for having a strong stomach.

Something that their leader don’t have. “Ah…ah… ah…” Luhan was sweating cold sweats. His face full of horror and both of his hands trembled. The Black Leader clutched the edges like his life depended on them.

At first it was funny, but Kyung Soo found himself to be bother by the scared Luhan. “Yah, if you’re that afraid of height shouldn’t you lower this thing?” Kyung Soo said in cold tone despite being worry about the Black Leader’s well-being.

“I want to” Luhan managed to choke up. Kyung Soo’s eyebrow slightly slanted as he wait for the next thing the Black Leader. “But I can’t! My body won’t move!” even Luhan’s voice shaken and cracked on several places.

“What should I do, Kyung Soo?!” and this only made the White Leader shook his head more.

~//~

Aside of the ‘incident’ it was a rather nice amusement park trip. They tried almost everything but they can’t. The line sometimes are just too long for them to comprehend. And for some reason they played Mad Hatter’s Tea Cups almost five times already. Every time all attraction are full of other visitors.

Finally it’s evening. “I can’t wait for the fireworks” Tao exclaimed as he helped himself with a can of soda. The other boys too have soda in their hands. Risa although deny for having a diet choose a bottle of water. Upon the confusion, Seuk Ri randomly choose a cup of hot chocolate.

Oh how wrong is that.

Her stomach hurts and she feels dizzy. All the feeling of being spun and spun on the tea cups ride emerge from her. And she was afraid from the worst. Yet, Seuk Ri kept it for herself. She hardly speak since inside something always force its way through.

Seuk Ri sat on a bench and tried to hold her best. Kyung Soo who was looking at her for quite some time, followed her action. He didn’t say anything until Seuk Ri made a burp sound. The boy turned his head towards him and a concern look is painted on his face.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

“Umm… I’m fine” another burp. Seuk Ri looked down, embarrassed for making such sound in the presence of the White Leader.

Kyung Soo stared at the empty hot chocolate cup which she has no time to throw away. With a click of a tongue he snatched the cup and walked towards the nearest thrash can. As he returned Seuk Ri burped again. “Want to go to the bathroom?” he inquired.

Seuk Ri shook her head. “Risa might get worried later” she explained, clamping her hand over . Kyung Soo looked around. Right, everyone was getting into this Space Invader rollercoaster. So he took out his phone and texted something before offer Seuk Ri a hand.

“Let’s go” he told her, but Seuk Ri doesn’t move so Kyung Soo took her free hand and drag her.

“Kyung Soo where are we going?”

“Somewhere that we can make you not to throw out, stating the obvious”

~//~

It was pretty, yes, but why here?

“Why we’re here, Kyung Soo?” Seuk Ri asked as her eyes travelled to the colorful lights and moving small puppet. Meanwhile Kyung Soo is looking at the water surface. When he heard her question Kyung Soo only pointed at her. At that Seuk Ri brought into silence.

“Mom, that doll’s dress is really cute!” a small girl in front if the two teenagers exclaimed to her mother who agreed instantly.

Yes, they’re at It’s a Small World. Riding a slow velocity boat they go across beautiful figures those represent the people of this world. At first Seuk Ri thought riding a boat when she’s sick might worsen her case. But instead it goes better, way better than what she had expected earlier.

Looking at Kyung Soo she smiled. “Thank you, I think my sickness had fade away” she thanked the White Leader. Kyung Soo turned his attention to Seuk Ri and faintly smiled at her. At the look she received, Seuk Ri’s breath stopped.

The colorful lights around them reflected perfectly on the water surface. And gave a magical lights around Kyung Soo. This is actually gave Seuk Ri a huge case of nostalgia. This is the guy she had met months ago, with sunlight behind him, giving him the aura of an angel.

~//~

It’s a Small World is a building shaped like a castle and in the night the lights appeared in many side. Seuk Ri looked at the castle once more as she took a deep breath. It still pretty in kinds of way.

“The little girl back then is very cute” she commented, remembered the little girl they shared a boat with.

Although Kyung Soo didn’t say anything about it, Seuk Ri knows he feels somewhat the same. Maybe less enthusiastic about the girl who loves all the dresses the dolls are wearing, but his cold stare shows no harm.

But still, although Seuk Ri knows and truly understand that the White Leader’s coldness is really unintentional, he does seem like he actually does it with all it means. So instead of being afraid of Kyung Soo’s slight indifference, Seuk Ri busied herself with the beautiful scene of the castle. The lights weren’t as colorful as it may inside, but still. Now when she thinks of it, she still had one thing to see in this place.

“Kyung Soo,” Seuk Ri turned around to face him. Kyung Soo who walked slower raised his head. On his hand was his phone. She smiled cheerfully at the White Leader. “Let’s watch the fireworks” she told him.

Kyung Soo’s eyebrow raised a bit. “It’s on the main square, let’s hurry up. We’ll be late for sure-“

A sound of boom came and the dark sky erupted into a sky of colors. The fireworks had begun.

Seuk Ri’s face darkened at the disappointment. She thought she, no Kyung Soo too, still can watch the fire dancing in the sky along with all her friends. But no, she was too late. And it all because of her mistake, because of… a cup of hot chocolate. Can it be more pathetic than that, Seuk Ri wondered sadly.

“Too late aren’t we?” Kyung Soo walked passed her, down to the steps of stair. Seuk Ri watched his back as he stopped. Even though he said nothing, Seuk Ri walked towards his side. And until then she realized, although they were not exactly on the closest place to see the fireworks, they still can see it, all of it.

Unconsciously a smile spread on Seuk Ri’s face. She even didn’t realized when she shouted in awe as a firework blow up. Other than that, what she missed is the fact Kyung Soo is not exactly watching the thing she interested on.

“Kang Seuk Ri” she looked towards Kyung Soo, surprisingly he already looked at her, like that was he was doing in awhile. When they had an eye contact, the White Leader broke it off. But a rare smile of his was dancing on his lips.

“One of these days I will make you see another fireworks” he promised. Like the world took his words, the sounds of round of fireworks boomed. And the sky yet painted into something other than black.