Mission 6: Protocol

Project EARTH

“Earth as that planet is called is very similar to ours. In fact, it has the same conditions as our planet during its early age. It has diverse flora and fauna which are also similar with ours here. And the dominant species are called Humans. Humans have the same morpho-anatomical structures as the people of our planet but they have shorter life span. They have a complex society composed of different organizations. There are different countries with different governments unlike ours which is a central government.” Dr. Youngjae said while handing out documents.

“This seems to be  very comprehensive. Since when have we been gathering data about Earth?” Prime Minister Hana asked.

“For awhile now. It is on the document.” Dr. Youngjae’s quick reply. “Please read along as we discuss things.”

Commander Bang and Governor Hyosung didn’t open their file and just listened to. General Himchan seemed to be more interested on Commander Bang’s demeanor rather than the briefing itself. Colonel Jongup was so intent on reading that he was knitting his eyebrows while Daehyun was busy with his communicator and Prime Minister Hana seemed to be aggravated from Dr. Youngjae’s earlier quip.

The briefing continued on with no interruption as everybody seemed to be pre occupied. Dr. Youngjae explained the Energy Extraction Protocol and nobody in the room was actually buying it, maybe except for Colonel Jongup and Prime Minister Hana.

“So, that’s basically it. We might modify the protocol once we get there. Our main concern now is assimilation with the humans and the possible changes in the deadline. Since the team has been learning different languages of Earth, we at least will have fewer problems on communicating with humans.”

“The first step, and probably the hardest, is getting there. Then further data collection and testing, which is my job. Then energy extraction and transportation back here, to our planet.” Dr. Youngjae pointed at the rest of the team one by one and said, “Your job, on the other hand, is mainly security. You secure our laboratory, our technology, and most importantly you will secure the success of this project on the part which is outside my job description. I do the science you do the rest.” He finally finished and went back to his seat.

“What a prick.” Daehyun whispered to himself. He turned to Governor Hyosung and said, “Your Excellency, I don’t wish to interrupt but it’s time for your meeting with the Council of Ministers with Prime Minister Hana.”

“We’ll leave you to discuss the rest of the mission on your own and I will expect a report afterwards. Daehyun, remain here; I don’t want a censored report. And boys, please, no fighting.” She and the Prime Minister exited the meeting room. No sound was heard except for the foot falls, everybody was silent and eyeing each other warily. When no footsteps were finally heard, General Himchan quickly got up and lunges a fist towards Commander Bang.