Mission 1: Crisis on Planet B1A4AP224

Project EARTH

It was tense day on Planet B1A4AP224 or Planet Matoki in popular term. Every man, woman, child and machinery on the planet was waiting nervously for Governor Hyosung, the highest ranking official of the planet. It was broadcasted days ago that the governor will have an announcement today. Those who were able to come to the governor’s square patiently wait under the intense heat. Those unable were glued to their transmitters and communicators.

The square was packed with people. Everyone was talking; wondering what the address will be about. Everyone had different opinions. Some groups were having heated discussions while some just content themselves with listening and waiting. They seemed to be preoccupied, but the people closely eyed the stage, waiting for someone to stand there.

Three hours after the people gathered, a man approached the pedestal. Microphone on hand, he announced that the governor will come out shortly. Everyone grew silent. Eyes looking at the stage, then towards the main door of the capitol building, then back to the stage again.

Moments later, a familiar figure immerged. She has long wavy, purple hair which she wore since forever. She was wearing her signature long-sleeved, white long dress with silver accents. The governor had her usual severe facial expression. With an entourage of officials and guards trailing behind her, she made her way to the stage.

The place was too silent that you can clearly hear the sound her shoes were making; even, unhurried, resonating throughout the square. She finally reached the stage. Situating herself on the pedestal on the middle of stage she finally started her address.

“We are faced with the greatest challenge that our planet has ever encountered. We are in a critical situation.” The governor said emphasizing the words we and critical. The people hummed and nodded in approval. The governor then continued, “As we are all well-aware, we are experiencing an energy crisis. Our main source of energy has been exhausted and is fast depleting. We have tapped into every possible energy source but we are still in a deficit. As a means of conserving energy, we have been scheduling blackouts throughout the planet and rerouting energy to areas where it is much needed. This routine may have saved us energy but the living conditions are getting worse. The cities with our major industries receive the most energy allocation but the countries receive minimal energy.” Again, there was another hum and nod of approval from the people.

“Because of this, there have been large movements of people form the countries to the cities. This mass migration of our people has tipped off the balance of our society. Urban unemployment increased. Poverty is proliferating, crimes are rampant. Pollution is severe causing more of our people being sick. Our fields in the countries are left unattended making our food supply scarce.”

“Through government intervention, we have been relocating families back to the countries to restart the agricultural industry and to increase employment. Police activities are heightened within the cities in an effort to reduce our crime rates. Health and Social Welfare services have been improved to cater the needs of our people. We have also been cutting emissions from factories to improve state of our environment.” There was a loud applause from the people. Apparently, the government programs were working and results are visible.

“Though the government is doing everything to alleviate our sufferings, unfortunately, it is not enough. We are still in dire situations that need drastic and immediate response. Our planet is dying. Our planet is withering so with our people.” The crowd was filled with awkward silence.

The governor let her eyes roam on the people in the square before continuing. “But I tell you, do not lose hope. Do not let the determination in our hearts die because of this. We have been faced with challenges so difficult it almost seemed impossible but we still got through it. As with the challenges in the past, if we just have to work hard as a single cohesive unit and I promise you, we will triumph.” The crowd was now cheering. The low hums became shouts. The small nodes turned to fists pumping in the air. Everyone was now hyped. Even the people in their homes were now standing and cheering. After the crowd has settled, the governor spoke again.

“We have been developing technology which can operate with minimal energy input. We have been investing in and conducting research on finding and producing alternative energy supply. Through intensive research, we finally found a new energy source.” The governor’s face lit up as she spoke. The crowd was in awe and now filled with anticipation.

“We have discovered a planet on a far-away star system that can supply our energy demands. In the biggest milestone of our technology, we will be able to send a manned space venture outside of our star system. If things go according to plans, we will be able to launch this project in two lunar cycles. This endeavor will be known as Project EARTH.” As soon as the governor finished speaking, the people went crazy. Everyone was celebrating, some were jumping and shouting, some were crying and some just stayed in their places still in awe.

The governor finished her address and she started to head back inside the capitol building. As with earlier, an entourage of officials and guards trailed behind her.