Mission 5: The Commander

Project EARTH

Everybody was stunned. After a moment of selence, the room erupted. Everybody was throwing questions at the governor and at the "monster". When the situation seemed to be calming down, Governor Hyosung cleared and started to speak.

"Everyone, please go back to your seats." She waved to the new-comer to take a seat as well. "General, stop glaring already. And let us not act as barbarians." Everybody settled and she continued.

I’m sure you all have questions but I have my reasons.” She paused while eyeing General Himchan particularly. “I want you to meet Commander Bang, as if you don’t already know him. He will be the fifth and final member of our Project:EARTH team. He is an excellent soldier and strategist…”

“He is a monster!” General Himchan interrupted Governer Hyosung and pointed at the man sitting comfortably with a smug grin on his face. “He should not be here. He should be locked up in the darkest pit of Hell and left there for the rest of eternity. You have your reasons Governor and I’m sure they are noble but can’t you see that this THING will do us no good? We all know that he is the main reason why we are doing this Project in the first place. He killed not only our soldiers but also innocent civilians who wanted nothing of his rebellion. Your Excellency, please, reconsider.” General Himchan pleaded.

“Sit down Himchan and don’t interrupt me while I’m still speaking. You are testing my patience.” General Himchan retreated and got back to his seat which made the commander chuckle. “As I was saying, he is an excellent soldier and strategist which are needed in this mission. The public is already asking questions why we are sending a military crew on this expedition when this planet is uninhabited, which of course we all know is untrue. We purposely left out that information because of some morals our people are following.”

 She leaned forward and rested her elbows on the table. With a somber tone she continued,   “We are already under fire because of the nature of our expedition team. The Council of Ministers decided to send a team of no more than 6 persons including our Head of Research. We are going to a planet with rational beings as inhabitants. If it were up to me alone, I would send a battalion. But I am only a lowly governor and I do not have absolute control. We need a formidable force with the limited number. That we have that is why we need Commander Bang.”

She got up and walked across the table then stood behind Commander Bang. She placed her hand on his shoulder and said, “Commander Bang was indeed what General Himchan said. Was. He is now a changed man.” She started waking again around the table. “After many years in prison he has come to his senses and is now an ally. General Himchan should be able to account for that especially because you mediated his surrender and was his supervising ” Reaching her seat on the head of the table, she turned to Dr. Youngjae. “Dr. Youngjae will brief you on the nature of this planet and the Energy Extraction Protocol.  Doctor, the floor is yours.”