Go Away/ Don't Go Away

Go Away/ Don't Go Away

 

Living the Tokyo Life 


It's been six months since I left Korea. Life in a foreign country was hard during the first few months. Now you may not believe what I've just said. How can a girl who live in a posh apartment and also had been given all the privileges that befit a superstar have a hard time living? 


At the end of the day, it's still about being "home". There were nights when I missed my omma's rice cakes. There were times I would just want to visit Wookie-oppa's restaurant and have all the barbequed meat I can have. Sometimes, I would remember the karaoke sessions we used to have with BIGBANG and how they always teased me by singing and dancing 'In or Out' even if there were people watching.


Those things, trivial as they may seem, have helped me overcome my stress when I was still in Korea. Believe me when I say that the stress that I get from being an idol is much, much greater than the stress an ordinary girl endures. Not that I'm complaining or anything. I actually enjoy being part of 2NE1. It gives me a sense of belonging. I just can't explain the feeling I get going up the stage and performing with three of the most talented girls I have met in my entire life. Aside from that, it feels so good to be able to share a journey with people I consider as friends. Oh, scratch that. Sisters. 


Bommie, CL-roo and little Minji have all played significant roles in my life. Each one of them have helped me grow to be the artist and person I am now. 


Bommie have always been my confidant, my loyal friend and my trusted ally. We could talk about anything and everything since we're close in age. We also have similarities in the things we like, corn is not included in those. Just like me, she likes cute, younger boys. She would rather hang out in Lotte World than go clubbing and be wasted. She also values her family and friends, no matter how long she's been apart with them. We have shared so many experiences already that I can confidently say that she's my best friend.


CL-roo is more like an older sister for me which is ironic since I'm much older than her. My frail appearance may have triggered her to be protective of me. Being the leader of 2NE1, she makes sure that we don't encounter unpleasant experiences especially when it comes to our career. She would constantly remind us, especially me, that we should eat nutritious food, not only to have energy for the hectic rehearsal we would be venturing on but also for our welfare as well. She also would remind me from time to time to never commute by myself. I remember the time that she was shooting alone for her scenes for the Can't Nobody music video, I decided to surprise her with a visit. I wasn't able to take the van at that time so I decided to just ride the cab. CL-roo was so worried about me and was moved by my little gesture. Aigoo... she really acts like my husband. Kkkkk.


Little Minji, on the other hand, brings out the older sister instinct in me. She is just the sweetest thing! There were times that she would ask me regarding my past relationship in the Philippines. You see, Minji is such an innocent girl without any experience of falling in love. Imagine my surprise when she tiptoed in my bed one night and asked me how I knew the first time that I was in love. I ponder for awhile and tried to give an honest answer but you see, that's the thing about being in love. You can never tell what exact date or time the falling in love actually happened. She looked at me with thoughtful eyes, absorbing every piece of information I was providing her. Hmmm, little Minji. Is this because of Tae... never mind. Kkkkk.


Living in Japan with the three of them definitely helped me cope with being in a foreign country. Just like me, they also get sentimental at times, even to the point of wanting to give up but we constantly remind ourselves that we're doing this for a common purpose. We are all together in fulfilling our dream, a dream that we started realizing together. A dream that we'll continue to reach for and work hard for.


Tonight was one of those nights that we got sentimental about home. We were all gathered in the living room, just sitting idly by. 


Bommie heaved a long sigh and continued to focus her attention on the magazine she was reading. After awhile, she put it down on the table.


"Aigoo! This is so boring!" She exclaimed in exasperation. Little Minji, who was listening to her iPod, nodded sadly.


"If we were back home, we'd be out eating at Se7en oppa's restaurant or at the karaoke with our sunbaes." She said while playing with the pillow. CL-roo looked at us as if she just had a great idea.


"Why don't we invite the boys from the other room?" CL said nonchalantly. We immediately said yes.


Funny how easy it was for us to invite 2PM now. It's not that we're flirting with them or anything. It's just that for the past few months, we have grown closer to them. Eversince the unexpected breakfast we shared with them four months ago, we started hanging out and doing random things together.




We were exhausted from practising non-stop for our performance on TV Asahi's "Music Station Super Live". We were lying flat on our belly when we felt heavy footsteps coming our way.


I opened my eyes and saw twelve feet approaching us. Two feet stopped in front of me. I looked up and saw Wooyoung smiling at me brightly.


"Noona, let's go!" He exclaimed excitedly. I just looked at him, confused. Eh? I thought. I looked around and saw the other girls all groggly stood up. I groaned and did the same.


"Where are we going?" CL demanded, asking Taecyeon who was busy texting someone. Junho smiled brightly.


"We're treating you to dinner." He answered with a sweet smile.


So that's how we ended up in Hashi Ramen House. To avoid attracting attention, Taecyeon reserved a special room for us. Unfortunately though, the new staff that arranged Taecky's reservation had a little mix up problem. Turned out that the staff mistakenly reserved us for a later date, two days later to be exact.


So there we are, cramped in the biggest table, wearing the fugliest disguise we could come up with. I laughed so hard when I saw Nichkhun struggling with his ramen. He was wearing a scarf that covered half of his face and was having a dilemma on how to gulp down his soup. 


He noticed that I was laughing and frowned at me. "Ya, noona! Are you laughing at me?" Nichkhun asked, raising an eyebrow. I waved my hands at him.


"Aniyo!" I shook my head. "I was laughing at Bommie-yah." I said, still laughing hard as I saw that he was having a hard time fixing his scarf. His eyes squinted at me.


"YA! Do I look like Bom-noona??" He asked, which got me laughing again, causing a sprinkle of soup to come out of my mouth. My face turned red from embarassment.


It was his turn to laugh at my misfortune.








It was a sunny day in Tokyo. We were still deep in slumber when our phone rang.


"Good morning!" A cheerful voice on the other line greeted us. I could hear a couple more voices in the background.


"Ya! Stop pushing me!"


"I can't hear what they're saying! What are they saying!"


"I'm still sleepy. You guys go ahead without me.. sssshhh"


"Ouch! That's my foot you babo!"


"Yes, Chansung?" I asked, still dazed over having been awaken so early in the morning.


"It's Dara-noona!" Chansung exclaimed while setting the mouthpiece away from him. I could hear someone talking very fast.


"Hello, noona?!" Wooyoung's excited voice boom out of nowhere. I placed the earpiece away from my ear.


"Ya, Wooyoungie! Why are you yelling so early in the morning??" I exclaimed, annoyed. The other guys laughed in the background. They put me in speakerphone, I guess.


"Mianhe, noona." Wooyoung apologized. He cleared his throat. "It's a nice day, don't you think?" He gave a nervous laughter.


I looked outside the window. "Yeah. The sun's shining brightly, I guess." I answered tentatively. I heard someone hissing in the background.


"Ya! Ask her already!" Omo! Is he asking me out on a date? My eyes widened.


"Noona..." Wooyoung's voice trailed off. I took a gulp. "Do you want to go out with..." He started. Beads of sweat started forming on my forehead.


"...us? We are going to jog!" He excitedly exclaimed. I let out a huge sigh of relief. At the same time, my cheeks turned red from embarassment.


"Noona! Bring Bom as well!" Junsu said as he took the phone from Wooyoung. Seconds later, a fighting match could be heard in the background.


"Please tell Minji to jog as well!" That would probably be Junho.


"Is CL beside you? CL?" That was definitely Taecky, no doubt.


"Ya! Give me the phone!" Wooyoung?


"Is Dara noona still there?" Nichkhun??


"Alright, alright!" I yelled at the receiver. The other line suddenly became silent. I thanked the heavens for the momentary peace I was experiencing.


"I'll tell the girls, alright? We'll call you." I said as I set down the receiver.


So that's how we ended up jogging in the streets of Tokyo, wearing the lousiest disguises and getting the weirdest glances from every passerby.








It was three months ago that we decided to all watch a movie together. We were seated at the back part of the balcony, away from the other moviegoers. As usual, we were wearing our infamous fugly disguises.


"Why are we watching this again here instead of just renting a movie and watching in the comforts of our apartment?" CL-roo asked Bommie whose eyes were glued to the screen. We all turned to her, waiting for her answer.


"Chaerin, this is the type of movie that should be watched in the theatre." She calmly explained. "If we watched it in our TV, the experience will not be the same." She added, in a matter of factly manner.


"Well, I'd rather not have the experience of being stared at by people here." She hissed at Bommie as some of the moviegoers were throwing us suspicious looks. I sank deeper into my seat, thinking that it would help conceal me from the onlookers. Nichkhun, who was seated beside me, chuckled amusedly.


"Ya! It's your fault people are staring at us!" I whispered to him. He looked at me innocently.


"What did I do?" He asked, confused. Chansung tapped at the dark glasses Nichkhun was wearing.


"This is not a 3D movie, babo!"






So here we are, inside the karaoke room with six of the most popular idols in South Korea. Bommie and CL-roo just finished their heartfelt ballad duet and we were all clapping in awe at their beautifully-blended voices.


It was my turn to sing. I originally decided on singing In or Out but backed down at the last minute since the song was just so overused. That and the fact that the song brought painful memories to me.


I took the mic from CL-roo and cleared my throat. "The song I'll be singing is not on the karaoke list as of the moment but I brought my own sound system." I set my iPod on the table and started playing the track. As the intro sounded, I started speaking.


"Konichiwa! I'm fresh vocal goddess, Sandara Park!" I introduced myself as the group cheered me on. I started singing.


'Ang ganda ko!
Feel na feel ng long hair ko!'



The group fell silent and looked at me in a dazed as if I was speaking an alien language.


'Ang ganda ko! (ang ganda ganda)
Feel na feel ng long hair ko!'



Not long after, the whole group, still unaware of what I was singing, got up and joined me as well. Some were humming while others danced, unchoreographed. Soon, the room looked like a place full of mad men.


'Ang ganda ko!
Feel na feel ng long hair ko!'



I flipped my hair while singing that line. The guys flipped their imaginary hair as well.


'Da lucky one magiging papa ko!
Ang ganda ko!'



The group joined me in singing the last line of the song. I guess that was all they could make of since it was the line that was repeated the most.


We all fell to the sofa and laughed uncontrollably.