In her arms

Soshi one-shots

On their wedding day, Yuri carried her wife in her arms. The bridal car stopped in front of their one-room flat. Her buddies insisted that she carry her bride out of the car in her arms. So Yuri carried her into their home. The bride was then plump and shy. Yuri was a strong and happy bridegroom. This was the scene ten years ago.

The following days were as simple as a cup of pure water: they had a kid (thanx to science); Yuri went into business and tried to make more money. When the assets were steadily increasing, the affection between them seemed to lessened. Her wife was a civil servant. Every morning they left home together and got home almost at the same time. Their kid was studying in a boarding school. Their marriage life seemed to be enviably happy. But the calm life was more likely to be affected by unpredictable changes.

Tiffany came into Yuri’s life. It was a sunny day, Yuri stood on a spacious balcony. Tiffany hugged her from behind. Her heart once again was immersed in Tiffany’s stream of love. This was the apartment she bought for her. Tiffany said,

“You are the kind of woman who best draws girls’ eyeballs.”

Her words suddenly reminded Yuri of her wife. When they were just married, her wife said,

“Girls like you, once successful, will be very attractive to other people.”

Thinking of this, she became somewhat hesitant. She knew she had betrayed her wife. But she couldn’t help doing so. She moved Tiffany’s hands aside and said

“You go to select some furniture, O.K.? I’ve got something to do in the company.”

Obviously Tiffany was unhappy, because Yuri had promised to do it together with her. At the moment, the idea of divorce became clearer in Yuri’s mind although it used to be something impossible to her. However, she found it rather difficult to tell her wife about it. No matter how mildly she mentioned it to her, her wife would be deeply hurt.

Honestly, she was a good wife. Every evening she was busy preparing dinner. Yuri was sitting in front of the TV. The dinner was ready soon. Then they watched TV together. Or, Yuri was lounging before the computer, visualizing Tiffany’s body. This was the means of her entertainment.

One day Yuri said to her wife in a slightly joking way,

“Suppose we divorce, what will you do?”

Her wife stared at her for a few seconds without a word. Apparently she believed that divorce was something too far away from her. Yuri couldn’t imagine how her wife would react once she got to know she was serious.

When Yuri’s wife went to her office, Tiffany had just stepped out. Almost all the staff looked at her wife with a sympathetic eye and tried to hide something while talking to her. She seemed to have got some hint. She gently smiled at Yuri’s subordinates. But Yuri read some hurt in her eyes.

Once again, Tiffany said to her,

“Yuri, divorce her, O.K.? Then we live together.”

She nodded. She knew she could not hesitate any more. When her wife served the last dish, she held her hand. 

“I’ve got something to tell you, Sica-ah” She said.

Sica sat down and ate quietly. Again Yuri observed the hurt in her eyes. Suddenly she didn’t know how to open . But she had to let her wife know what she was thinking.

“I want a divorce.” She raised the serious topic calmly.

Jessica didn’t seem to be annoyed by her words, instead she asked me softly,

“Why?”

“I’m serious.” Yuri avoided her question.

This so-called answer made Jessica angry. She threw away the chopsticks and shouted at her. That night, they didn’t talk to each other. Jessica was weeping. Yuri knew she wanted to find out what had happened to our marriage.  But she could hardly give her a satisfactory answer, because her heart had gone to Tiffany.

With a deep sense of guilt, Yuri drafted a divorce agreement which stated that Jessica could own their house, their car, and 30% stake of her company. Jessica glanced at it and then tore it into pieces. Yuri felt a pain in my heart. The woman who had been living ten years with her would become a stranger one day. But she could not take back what she had said.

Finally Jessica cried loudly in front of her, which was what she had expected to see. To Jessica, her cry was actually a kind of release. The idea of divorce which had obsessed Yuri for several weeks seemed to be firmer and clearer. Late that night, she came back home after entertaining her clients. She saw Jessica writing something at the table. Yuri fall asleep fast. When she woke up, she found Jessica was still there. Yuri turned over and was asleep again.

Jessica brought up her divorce conditions: she didn’t want anything from Yuri, but Yuri was supposed to give her one month time before divorce, and in the month time they must live as normal a life as possible. Her reason was simple: our daughter would finish her summer vacation a month later and Jessica didn’t want her to see their marriage was broken.

Jessica passed Yuri the agreement she drafted, and then asked her,

“Seobang-ah, do you still remember how I entered our bridal room on the wedding day?”

This question suddenly brought back all those wonderful memories to her. Yuri nodded and said,

“I remember.”

“You carried me in your arms,” she continued, “so, I have a requirement, that is, you carry me out in your arms on the day when we divorce. From now to the end of this month, you must carry me out from the bedroom to the door every morning.”

Yuri accepted with a smile. She knew Jessica missed those sweet days and wished to end her marriage romantically.

She told Tiffany about her wife’s divorce conditions. Tiffany laughed loudly and thought it was absurd.

“No matter what tricks she does, she has to face the result of divorce,” she said scornfully.

Her words more or less made me feel uncomfortable.

Jessica and her hadn’t had any body contact since Yuri’s divorce intention was explicitly expressed. They even treated each other as a stranger. So when Yuri carried her out on the first day, they both appeared clumsy. Our daughter clapped behind us,

“Appa is holding Umma in her arms.” Her words brought Yuri a sense of pain.

From the bedroom to the sitting room, then to the door, Yuri walked over ten meters with Jessica in her arms. Jessica closed her eyes and said softly,

“Let us start from today, don’t tell our daughter.”

Yuri nodded, feeling somewhat upset. She put her down outside the door. Jessica went to wait for a bus, Yuri drove to the office.

On the second day, both of them acted much more easily. Jessica leaned on Yuri’s chest. They were so close that Yuri could smell the fragrance of her blouse. She realized that she hadn’t looked at this intimate woman carefully for a long time. She found her wife was not young any more. There were some fine wrinkles on her face.

On the third day, Jessica whispered to her,

“The outside garden is being demolished. Be careful when you pass there.”

On the fourth day, when Yuri lifted Jessica up, she seemed to feel that we were still an intimate couple and she was holding her sweetheart in my arms. The visualization of Tiffany became vague.

On the fifth and sixth day, Jessica kept reminding her something, such as,where she put the ironed shirts, she should be careful while cooking, etc… Yuri nodded. The sense of intimacy was even stronger. She didn’t tell Tiffany about this.

Yuri felt it was easier to carry Jessica. Perhaps the everyday workout made her stronger. Yuri said to her,

“It seems not difficult to carry you now.” Jessica was picking her dresses. Yuri was waiting to carry her out. She tried quite a few but could not find a suitable one. Then she sighed,

“All my dresses have grown bigger.” Yuri smiled.

But she suddenly realized that it was because Jessica was thinner that she could carry her more easily, not because she was stronger.

Yuri knew Jessica had buried all the bitterness in her heart.
 
Again, she felt a sense of pain. Subconsciously Yuri reached out a hand to touch Jessica’s head. Our daughter came in at the moment.

“Appa, it’s time to carry mum out.” She said.

To her, seeing her father carrying her mother out had been an essential part of her life. Jessica gestured their daughter to come closer and hugged her tightly. Yuri turned her face because she was afraid she would change her mind at the last minute.

She held Jessica in her arms, walking from the bedroom, through the sitting room, to the hallway. Jessica’s hand surrounded her neck softly and naturally. Yuri held her body tightly, as if they came back to their wedding day. But her much lighter weight made Yuri sad.

On the last day, when she held Jessica in her arms, she could hardly move a step.

"Our daughter had gone to school." Jessica said, “Actually I hope you will hold me in your arms until we are old.”

Yuri held her tightly and said, “Both you and I didn’t notice that our life lacked intimacy.”

Yuri jumped out of the car swiftly without locking the door. She was afraid any delay would make she change her decision. She walked upstairs. Tiffany opened the door. She said to her,

“Sorry, Fany, I won’t divorce. I’m serious.”

Tiffany looked at her, astonished. The she touched Yuri’s forehead.

“You got no fever.” She said.

Yuri moved her hand off her head.

“Sorry, Fany,” She said, “I can only say sorry to you, I won’t divorce. My marriage life was boring probably because she and I didn’t value the details of life, not because we didn’t love each other anymore. Now I understand that since I carried her into the house, she gave birth to our child, I am supposed to hold her until I am old. So I have to say sorry to you.”

Tiffany seemed to suddenly wake up. She gave Yuri a loud slap and then slammed the door and burst into tears. Yuri walked downstairs and drove to the office.

When she passed the floral shop on the way, she ordered a bouquet for her wife which was her favorite. The salesgirl asked her what to write on the card. She smiled and wrote,

“I’ll carry you out every morning until we are old”.

That evening Yuri arrived home, flowers in her hands, a smile on her face, she ran up stairs, only to find my wife in bed – DEAD.

Jessica had been fighting cancer for months and she was so busy with Tiffany to even notice. She knew that she would die soon and she wanted to save Yuri from whatever negative reaction from their daughter, in case they push through with the divorce. At least, in the eyes of our daughter… She's a loving husband and appa…

“The small details of our lives are what really matter in a relationship. It is not the mansion, the car, property, the money in the bank. These create an environment conducive for happiness but cannot give happiness in themselves. So, find time to be your spouse’s friend and do those little things for each other that build intimacy.”


Yeah... I didn't trolled this time too... ><

Comment and subs... ^^