In Your Arms I Belong

Signs of Destiny
 
And every time you notice me by,
Holding me closely and saying sweet things,
I don't believe that it could be.
 
— Colbie Caillat's The Little Things.
 
 

 

With a start, Jeon Hyosung realized that it was a quarter to nine already. The clock never lied. Normally, Hyosung would have started with preparing dinner for Kikwang by now, but it seemed that he wouldn't come home anytime soon.
 
 
So it's one of those days, Hyosung thought, sighing wearily and closing her dark brown eyes for a short while. One of those days where Kikwang would be busy with his theatre class and would only return pass midnight. She was probably lucky enough to see him before midnight. That is, if she hadn't fallen asleep by that time.
 
 
However, the sound of a closing front door and slow, soft steps were proof that she was wrong. The raven-haired woman looked up, catching an exhausted-looking Kikwang, who just walked into the room. Well, exhausted was maybe an understatement. Worn was a much more fitting word, since he gave the impression that he was about to die right then and there. Even his striking deep brown eyes were dull and glassy today.
 
 
"Hey," Hyosung said softly and expectantly, standing up from the comfortable sofa, but Kikwang didn't greet her back.
 
 
In fact, he didn't even look up at her to acknowledge her.
 
 
Hyosung frowned at that. It was nothing for Kikwang to not bother to greet her back, let alone ignore her completely like that. Something was definitely wrong, then. She could sense it.
 
 
It was then that she noticed how the brunette slowly made his way to her. By the way he was almost hobbling like that, he looked like he was the only survivor of a war, almost dying of his wounds. There was something unsettling about him. He really looked spooked, enough to make her think that he had seen a ghost.
 
 
Tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear, she started, hesitantly, "Ki, are you … whoa!"
 
 
When he reached her, he practically slammed into her without mercy, hard to the touch like a solid rock (she blamed his amazingly toned muscles for that effect). She almost lost her balance, had it not been for Kikwang himself, holding her tightly so she wouldn't fall.
 
 
As he put his arms around her in a bone-crushing hug, he buried his head where her neck met her shoulder. At once, his curls tickled her skin near her cheek and Hyosung felt something icy cold press into the nape of her neck. She figured that it was either the tip of his nose or his cold lips. Or perhaps both. A shiver ran down her spine, because her own skin was much warmer than his. Well, probably not for long.
 
 
She slowly returned the embrace, at a loss of words by now. This caused Kikwang to tighten his grip on her even more. Hyosung just let him be. It was obviously better that way.
 
 
What had gotten into him, to react like this, act like he thought he had lost her to something, or someone? The raven-haired woman had no idea what it could be, so the only thing she could do was rub his back with her right hand and his curls, yet soft to the touch hair with her other hand, hoping it would soothe him one way or another.
 
 
They stood like that for a while, the once so solid rock shattered into pieces by god knew what. He didn't seem like he was planning to ever let go of her, too. When Hyosung couldn't take the everlasting silence anymore, she whispered, "Ki."
 
 
However, there was no reaction, so she tried once again, desperate to hear his voice, "Ki?"
 
 
Again, no response whatsoever.
 
What the ...
 
What was wrong with him?
 
 
With some effort coming from her side alone, she was finally able to get Kikwang to face her. However, his eyes were closed ... and they stayed closed, despite the fact that he probably knew that she was looking at him. He was breathing in a slow, steady rhythm, a neutral expression on his face.
 
 
Wait... had he fallen asleep on her shoulder? And that while he was just standing? She didn't know if she should give him props for that, or be very annoyed with him.
 
 
Great timing, Ki. 
Really...
 
 
This day couldn't get any weirder. Honestly, trying to catch some sleep right now wasn't really the smartest idea at the moment. Plus, she wasn't strong enough to drag him all the way to the bedrooms upstairs, without waking him up.
 
 
She looked around, as if the answer to her problems was hidden somewhere in this room. That was when she got an idea. Sure, she couldn't lift him up, but maybe he was ready to cooperate, even in his sleep. She had nothing to lose by just trying, right?
 
 
Sighing lightly, Hyosung shuffled slowly back to the sofa, pulling him with her as gently as she could, by only holding his muscular arms. She discovered soon that it actually worked. Kikwang followed after her, step after little step, although he didn't move his head away from where she had put it back on her shoulder again.
 
 
As soon as Hyosung had reached their huge sofa (which she was thankful for), she dropped slowly until she sat down, with a slumped Kikwang leaning against her like a lifeless puppet. She would lie if she denied how adorable he looked right now, with his calm, peaceful expression and light, feathery-like eyelashes. And wow, he smelled good. Like soap and the forest and a flowerfield and a spring evening... Hyosung took a deep breath to take it all in and never forget this smell.
 
 
She also couldn't blame him for falling asleep out of nowhere. As of lately, the man was all work and no play. He never seemed to take a break, like he was some sort of robot. No wonder he was so tired all the time. It was a good thing that he hadn't fallen asleep while driving, that could have been very dangerous.
 
 
Hyosung figured that he would have extremely stiff and sore muscles when he would finally wake up. Well, good for him. It was his own fault this time, although she couldn't deny that he was by far the best pillow she had ever had; warm, strong, soft and yet firm in exactly the right places. Maybe she should take advantage of this moment, she pondered. After all, how many times would Kikwang let her use him as a pillow?
 
 
Moving around a little to make herself more comfortable, she put Kikwang's free arm around her and closed her eyes with a content sigh. She loved the warmth he was offering her without knowing it and she hoped that he wouldn't wake up for at least twelve more hours.
 
 
"G'night, Ki," she murmured, snuggling against him. It didn't matter that he didn't respond. That little beginning of a smile said more than enough for her.
 
 
When she had almost fallen asleep, she could swear she heard a faint whisper, "I love you..."
 
 

 

 


 
 
 
This time, it was the sound of singing birds - which indicated that it would be a bright, sunny day - that woke him up out of a blissful sleep. Rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, Kikwang slowly opened his eyes. The first thing he saw after he did that, was the familiar bright red digits of the clock on the living room’s wall. It said that it was eight o'clock, sharp.
 
 
How peculiar ... He hadn't really expected to sleep this much and till this late (well, it was late for him); as of lately, he had to get up half past five every day, to start his schedule of the earliest classes. He didn't exactly love that, but the subject was important for him in order to pass this semester so he couldn’t complain much about it. He started to wonder what had made him sleep this peacefully. In fact, this had been the best sleep he had ever had, and that said a lot.
 
 
It was then that he finally became aware of a soft and steady breathing next to him. It was like a soft, lovely melody, trying to cheer him up. At once, he turned his head and was greeted by Hyosung's sleeping form. She was immobile, save for the slow rise and fall of her chest. For some reason or another, she looked very content. If Kikwang would narrow his eyes slightly, it would almost look as if she had a smile on her face. Her long, thick and dark eyelashes were long enough to touch a part of her skin.
 
 
It sure was not a great surprise to find himself waking up next to Hyosung of all people, but that very fact still surprise him. It was a precious event, one that didn't happen that often nowadays. Not that he had anything to complain about. It was an even greater surprise to find himself smiling at that fact.
 
 
Kikwang looked at her more closely, from her slightly parted lips, to her long, delicate neck. A part of her face was covered by her long, silky smooth black hair. He slowly raised his hand to push it out of her face. Someone like her shouldn't hide her beauty. He was thinking of placing a soft, lingering kiss on her lips, but the previous small movement caused Hyosung to stir slightly. Kikwang knew that this was a sign that she was about to wake up and open those dark, brown-colored eyes that he secretly loved so much.
 
 
He was right. Hyosung's eyes slowly fluttered open, blinking against the somewhat bright light in the room. At first, she looked at the white ceiling, frowning slightly in thought, but soon enough, her gaze locked onto him and a rather dazed expression appeared on her face. At once, Kikwang felt a feeling of pure panic rise inside him. What if she would get mad at him and start yelling? Or if she would catapult him out off the sofa? Or worse: give him the silent treatment and not talk to him for at least a month?
 
 
What happened next, though, took all his worries away. Slowly, a graceful smile appeared on her face, making Kikwang's heart instantly beat faster. He inhaled sharply, unable to look away from this angel of a woman.
 
 
"Hey," she whispered softly, with a voice that could surely drive every man crazy.
 
 
Kikwang didn't reply at first, but put his arms around her form and pulled her to him so she would lie against him. He couldn't help but notice how they seemed to fit perfectly against each other, like they were both a lost, fitting puzzle piece that had finally found each other out of those thousands upon thousands other pieces. It gave him a strong feeling of euphoria.
 
 
"Hey," Kikwang then replied, even softer, putting his cheek on her head and smelling her vanilla scented shampoo. The truth was that he wouldn't mind getting up like this, right next to her and close enough to hear her heartbeat, for the rest of his life. 
 
 
This was paradise for him.
 
 
 
 

 

 
AUTHOR'S NOTE:
 
 
Bask yourself with all this fluffs before I officially go on hiatus mode again. Heee.
Happy reading!