chapter 4 - Human form

A little stray kitten [semi hiatus]

“Yeol! Me and Hoya are going to class so you will be alone with Sunggyu for a while!” Myungsoo told me while standing near the door, wearing his school uniform and a backpack over his shoulder. I softly meowed before laying my head on Sunggyu’s lap again, he may nag a lot but his thighs are really nice to lay on. The sound of the door closing was the last sound before a comfortable silent filled the room. After a few minutes, maybe even more than a few, Sunggyu lifted me off his lap and put me down on the couch.

“so care to explain why a cat-shifter is being taken care of by a human? I thought that cat-shifters didn’t like humans.” Sunggyu said to me while looking at me, his eyes filled with curiosity but his voice had another feeling in it, one I couldn’t identify. The words he just said began to click in my mind.
“Wait a second.. did you just say… cat-shifter?” I answered him, knowing I didn’t hear it wrong.
“Might as well explain myself, I am an Aegon, also known as a human being able to identify when somebody has any powers. Like I could sense that you weren’t fully cat, but a cat-shifter as soon as I saw you. And now I have another question for you, isn’t it that cat-shifters have to change to their human form once in a while or else it would damage their body?” Sunggyu explained to me, the last question made me realize how long I have been in my cat form since Myungsoo took care of me.
“Yes it is true that a cat-shifter has to change to their human form once in a while or else you might be stuck in your cat form for years and be unable to change to your human form, but I don’t mind that. When we are in our human form, we need to carry around things like normal humans. A passport or something else to identify yourself with, but since some cat-shifters parents didn’t give birth in their human form, but in their cat form, most of us don’t have such things.” I explained while slowly going to my human form. “And now that you said it, sheesh I haven’t been in my human form for ages… it feels weird..” I finished while stretching my legs and arms. A soft silent filled the room, I knew that Sunggyu was taking in all the information and my human form, he stood up and was in a room for a few minutes, before coming back with a few pieces of clothes. He threw them at me and I started at them in confusing before noticing that I wasn’t wearing anything. I quickly got dressed while Sunggyu sat down again, his voice filling the room.
“Now that you explained it, it makes perfect sense why I rarely sense cat-shifters in their human form. Well you can stay like this for how long you like, Myungsoo and Hoya aren’t coming back for another hour. After that I have class myself and I am not sure what they have then so it might be smarter to change before that hour is over.” Sunggyu told me while walking to the kitchen, I was surprised by how cool he was over this.. I just explained a lot to him and showed him my human form but he acts like it happens every day. I began to feel a warm feeling in my chest. ‘what is this…’

I put my feet on the ground and slowly began to stand up, feeling my feet wobble a bit under my weight and not using them for a long time. Walking toward the kitchen, I noticed things which I didn’t notice before in my cat form. The living room was very simple, a couch, TV, a table and a few picture frames around, most of them were of Sunggyu, Myungsoo and Hoya smiling together, others were of landscapes. I stopped walking in front of a picture, it were them, but with somebody I didn’t notice or see before, I picked the picture frame up to take a closer look, seeing that it was hidden behind others and you wouldn’t notice it unless you were looking at every detail in the room. He had short black hair and was pouting while trying to get something out of Sunggyu’s hands, I noticed that he looked very handsome and that Sunggyu had the biggest smile I haven’t seen since I began to live here. Myungsoo was laughing at them while trying to take the picture with one of his hands and Hoya was looking at somebody, someone who wasn’t visible in the picture frame.

“ah that picture..” Sunggyu’s voice surprised me and almost caused me to drop the picture frame. I looked at Sunggyu, he was holding 2 coffee filled mugs while staring at the picture in my heads, a soft smile on his lips. “the guy you don’t recognize, that is Woohyun.” I noticed a tint of sadness while he said his name. “that picture is of a year ago, when we were all still friends. Him and Myungsoo had a fight about something stupid, causing Woohyun to go to his other friends. It was something stupid and he has better friends now anyway.” Sunggyu said, it didn’t sound like he was talking to me, but more to himself. I felt that my cat tail and ears began to appear, something which only happens when I feel really happy or sad. Sunggyu noticed that and began to walk over to me, he slowly lifted his arms to touch the ears.

“I didn’t know that this was possible..” he said while still touching them.
“ah yeah it is possible but it rarely happens, since almost everybody freaks out when they see them.” I said while staring at Sunggyu’s face, still seeing sadness in them. I wanted to speak up about what he said, but I knew that deep down inside what I wanted to say could hurt Sunggyu more, I didn’t even knew them for that long and I don’t know what they even had a fight about.. so it felt like I didn’t have any right to speak up..
“hey why the long face? I made coffee for us.” He said, breaking my thoughts. We walked over to the couch and began to drank the coffee in silent. My tail kept wiggling around because I wanted to speak up, deciding against my thoughts earlier, I began to speak.
“I might not know what Woohyun and Myungsoo had a fight over.. but saying that Woohyun found better friends isn’t true.. I only know you guys for a few days but I can already say that you guys have been taking good care of my cat form, and you also accepted my human form, not like other kids screaming and running away when they see it.. Sunggyu I could still sense pain when you talked about it, meaning it still affects you.. I just-“ before I could finish talking, arms began to wrap around me and a head was on my shoulder.

“Yeol please.. just.. be quiet for a while..” Sunggyu said while tightening his grip, I put our coffee on the table next to me and wrapped my arms around Sunggyu, slowly patting his back. I began to feel that the clothes Sunggyu barrowed me began to wetten.

At that moment I decided
I would help Sunggyu and the others.