Out

Love Through A Circle

 

Taeng was sitting at a small table at the university café. He had some spare minutes before his next class so he decided to take a break and have a drink. He was mindlessly staring at his hot chocolate, his mind completely lost in its world.

 He had been thinking about Tiffany.

 He couldn’t stop thinking about her ever since they talked yesterday. He wasn’t sure why he even tried to shake his mind off of her but to no avail.

“Taeng?”

 Taeng’s mind was still dreaming; his eyes still glued on his beverage that was on the table.

 “Taeng?”

 “TAENG!!!”

Taeng snaps out of his thoughts after realizing someone had been calling his name. He jerks his head and sees Jieun staring at him with a confused look.

 “Oh, Jieun,” Taeng said placidly, his mind still dazed and unclear.

 “Are you okay? You seem out of it,” Jieun asked curiously as she takes a seat across him.

Taeng slowly nods, “Y-yeah I’m fine.”

“Were you thinking about something?”

Taeng bites his bottom lip, unsure if he should tell his girlfriend he was thinking of another girl. He looks at his girlfriend who had a curious look on her face.

“Just…” Taeng wraps his hands around his beverage, “About homework.”

Jieun puckers her lips, “Geez Taeng…It’s just homework, knowing you you’re probably going to finish it early like always.”

 Taeng awkwardly chuckles, “Y-yeah.”

 Jieun props her elbows on the table and leans her body against her arms, “So…Do you want to hang out after school?”

 Taeng gazes at the latter across from him, for some reason after hearing his girlfriend’s request he had a sudden yearning to see Tiffany’s face.

 I miss seeing her face. He thought to himself.

 Taeng makes a confused face; he shakes his thoughts out and tries to focus on his girlfriend.

 “A-ah, I don’t know Jieun. I have a lot of homework,” Taeng replied softly, his eyes on the table.

 Jieun sighs, “I figured that would be your answer.”

Taeng grabs her hand and squeezes it, “Next time okay? I promise to take you out wherever you want to go.”

Jieun’s eyes gleam up, “Really?”

 Taeng softly smiles, “Yeah.”

 Jieun squeals, she leans over the table and pecks Taeng on the lips.

“You’re the best,” Jieun cooed, her face still close to Taeng’s.

“Thanks, Jieun,” Taeng replied, a soft smile on his face.

 After spending some time with his girlfriend, Taeng drops her off to her next class before heading to his. Luckily on Fridays, Yul and Taeng shared the same class so they end up carpooling with each other to save gas. Taeng enters the class and sees Yul already in his usual seat which was next to him. He heads over and takes his seat next to the dark-haired boy.

Yul grins at Taeng, “Hey Taeng!”

Taeng gazes at the latter, “Hey Yul.”

Yul wraps his arm around his neck, “What’s up?”

 Taeng shrugs, “Nothing much.”

 Yul his eyebrow, “Are you okay?”

 Taeng gazes at the latter, “Yeah why?”

 Honestly, his mind was warped back around Tiffany again. He couldn’t think straight knowing the girl was glued to his thoughts.

“I don’t know. You just seem…lost.” Yul pointed out, his eyes narrow.

Taeng shrugs again, “You’re just being weird.”

Yul laughs, “Maybe.”

“Anyways,” Taeng trailed off, “Sorry about ending the call with Tiffany yesterday…”

Yul tilts his head, “Why are you sorry?”

Taeng places his arms on the desk, “Because I didn’t call you when we were done talking…I forgot that the only reason I was there was that you wanted to talk to Jessica…”

Yul chuckles and pats his friend’s back, “Don’t worry about it. I’m not mad; I talk to Jessica all the time. I can miss one day.”

 Taeng softly chuckles, “Yeah that’s true.”

Yul playfully punches his arm and smirks, “So how was it?”

Taeng his eyebrow, “How was what?”

“How was talking to Tiffany alone?”

 Taeng bites his bottom lip, “Good I guess.”

“You guess?”

 Taeng shrugs and opens his notebook, “Yeah…”

“Did something happen between you two?” Yul asked curiously, his attention fully on Taeng.

Taeng sighs, “Not really. Things just got…unnecessarily awkward.”

 The latter tilts his head, “Why?”

He shrugs his shoulders again, “I don’t know.”

 “You know,” Yul retorted; he adjusts himself in his seat so that his body was facing Taeng.

 Taeng taps his fingers on his notebook, “Did you know she has a boyfriend?” Taeng said quickly, his head jerks to Yul.

 A smirk forms on Yul’s face; he leans back against his chair and crosses his arms over his chest.

Taeng his eyebrow, “What?” He stares at the dark-haired latter, unsure of why he had a sneering smile on his face and the cocky look in his eyes.

 “Taeng…” Yul trailed, his smirk only growing wider.

Taeng adjusts his body and faces his friend, “What? What’s with that look on your face?”

Yul playfully punches his arm, “You should know why.”

 Taeng narrows his eyes, “I don’t.”

Yul rolls his eyes, “Seriously?”

Taeng raises his arms in defeat; he was confused as to what Yul was trying to say. Maybe his mind was too warped around Tiffany to realize the hint.

 Yul chuckles, “Hey can I ask you something?”

 Taeng his head; his face becomes a puzzle seeing the latter’s change of attitude and subject.

 He slowly nods, “Sure?”

Yul leans against his arm that was lazily propped on his desk, “Do you like Tiffany?”

 Taeng holds in his breath, his heart starts to beat erratically and his mind became a swirl.

 Like?

 Yul stares at his friend as he patiently waits for his answer. Taeng felt as if he hadn’t breathed in years, he couldn’t think straight and he was processing what to say. He takes some time, mindlessly looking at the dark-haired boy across from him, he felt himself concluding.

 He then looks at Yul with serious eyes.

 “I…”

“Annyeong class, let’s get started.”

 

 

“Tiff.”

 Tiffany was forcefully turned around by a rough hand, her eyes widen in shock seeing Jay in front of her.

“Oh Jay, you scared me,” Tiffany replied, placing her hand over her heart that was beating rapidly.

“Why did you ignore my call last night?” Jay asked with seriousness, his eyes piercing at her.

 “I was busy and I forgot to call you back afterward,” Tiffany crossed her arms and pursued with her white lie.

 She knew she didn’t even want to call back Jay; she had no interest as to what he was going to say especially if it dealt with the girl he has been talking too.

Jay scoffs, “You still should have called me back.”

“Why? So you can tell me more about that girl?” Tiffany snapped, anger boiling in her stomach.

 Jay tosses his arms in the air of frustration, “Will you shut up about her? I already told you she’s just a friend!”

Tiffany rolls her eyes, “Really? Do you hug your ‘friend’ like you hug your girlfriend?”

 Jay crooks his eyebrows, “Why are you acting like this?”

Tiffany drops her arms to the side, “Why? Jay, you’ve done nothing but flirt with that girl and I’m just tired of it!”

Jay sighs; he clasps his hands on her shoulders “I’m sorry okay? Let’s just stop fighting; I won’t talk to her anymore.”

Tiffany bites her bottom lip, “Promise?”

The latter nods and smiles, “Promise.”

 Tiffany nods her head, “Okay.”

Jay quickly pecks her on the lips, “I gotta go. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 Tiffany nods again but doesn’t say any more words; after Jay waves off she walks to her car and drives home. As she drops her keys on the counter, she spots Jessica lounging on the couch intently staring at her laptop. Tiffany her head; she walks over to the blonde girl and sits down beside her.

“What are you doing?” Tiffany asked, clearly confused.

 Jessica diverts her attention away from her laptop and looks at Tiffany, “Waiting for Yul to go online.”

Tiffany smiles, “You’re going to talk to him today?”

 “Yeah since someone didn’t tell me they were done talking with Taeng,” Jessica teased; a smirk on her face.

Tiffany flinches in surprise, “O-oh, sorry about that. I totally forgot that you wanted to talk with Yul.”

Jessica playfully punches her arm, “It’s fine. I don’t blame you for wanting to talk with Taeng.”

 Tiffany rolls her eyes, “Whatever.”

Jessica chuckles. “Admit it. You liked talking to Taeng.”

Tiffany picks her legs up and sits crisscross on the couch. Her mind starts to ponder about Taeng and their talk last night. Yes, she indeed enjoyed talking with him but she hated how the mood was suddenly ruined near the end.

“I guess,” Tiffany replied nonchalantly.

Jessica scoffs, “Stop acting you don’t care.”

 “I do care!” Tiffany exclaimed, “What else am I supposed to say?”

 Jessica leans back against the couch, “I don’t know.”

Tiffany blows out a breath, “Exactly.”

They let silence seep between them, both having unanswered questions and thoughts in their mind.

 “So, have you seen Jay today?” Jessica asked, breaking the silence.

Tiffany bites her bottom lip, “Yeah.”

“How was that?” Jessica inquired, ready to hear the same thing she’s been hearing for quite some time.

In Tiffany’s fourth month with Jay, she’s been noticing Jay act differently towards Tiffany. Jessica was even the first one to notice Jay talk to other girls, particularly the same girl he’s still talking to. She always tells Tiffany but she never wants to believe her friend. Tiffany always begged to differ, saying how Jay is still the same guy she fell for. Jessica just knew it was because Tiffany had never been in a real relationship so she fell hard. She dug a hole so deep she can’t get out of it. She’s strung to Jay.

 “We argued but we’re better,” Tiffany answered unconfidently.

 Jessica sighs, “About that girl huh?” She received a nod from her but no words. “Tiffany…I don’t want you to get hurt. When are you going to realize that Jay changed?”

 Tiffany bites her bottom lip, “He promised he wouldn’t talk to that girl again.”

The latter scoffs in disbelief, “Yeah right.” She adjusts her body and faces Tiffany, “I know that you keep insisting that he’s the same, but can you please just open your eyes? Jay’s changed, he’s changed a long time ago and he’s only stringing you along. I don’t want you to get hurt Tiffany because I know that he will only keep hurting you.”

 Tiffany remained quiet; her eyes were glued on the table in front of her. She felt tears b on her eyes; she sniffles and wipes them with the back of her hand. Her emotions were stirred wild, she knew that she can’t even explain her feelings.

 Jessica soothingly rubs the back of her friend, “Tiffany…”

 A noise emitted from Jessica’s laptop interrupting the two girl’s conversation.

“Yul’s on,” Tiffany stated, her eyes still watery from her tears.

 Jessica gazes at the screen and back at Tiffany; she sighs in defeat seeing the gloomy look on her friend’s face and diverts her attention back to the laptop. Jessica slumps back against the couch and quickly calls Yul. Tiffany wipes her eyes and quietly gazes at the computer screen; she heaves a sigh and tries her best to conceal her distressed emotions.

“Jessica?” Yul asked, his box slowly loading on Jessica’s screen.

 “Hey,” Jessica smiled; she enlarges the video call so Yul’s box consumed the majority of the screen.

“Oh, Tiffany!” Yul said in surprise seeing the girl sitting next to Jessica.

 Tiffany weakly smiles and waves, “Hey Yul.”

Yul smiles, he was completely oblivious to the girl’s dejected mood since his attention was mainly on Jessica’s.

“So what’s up?” Jessica asked, taking the attention off of Tiffany and onto something else.

Yul shrugs, “Nothing. Just doing homework.”

Jessica gasps, “Yul doing homework?! Is it the end of the world?”

 Yul sardonically laughs, “Very funny.”

Jessica chuckles, “I’m just kidding…Or is Taeng rubbing off on you?”

 Tiffany bites her bottom lip; she was disappointed he wasn’t here in their chat. She was hoping to see him and patch up the awkward situation they had yesterday.

Yul sticks his tongue out, “Maybe. Isn’t that a good thing?”

Jessica nods, “Speaking of the nerd. Where is he?”

Yul taps his fingers on his notebook, “Probably in his room.”

Jessica gazes over to Tiffany, they both make eye contact but Tiffany was clueless as to why Jessica was giving her that look.

The blonde girl gazes back at the screen, “Can you get him?”

Tiffany slowly looks back at the computer screen; she felt her heart race just thinking of seeing Taeng again.

Yul quickly nods, “Taeng!” He yelled from his room.

 In a short moment, Taeng walks into his room with a textbook in his hand.

 “Yeah?” Taeng asked curiously, his eyes locked on the latter.

 Yul pats the empty spot on his bed next to him, “Come join.”

 “Is that Tiffany and Jessica?” Taeng inquired; his eyes still on Yul.

Tiffany couldn’t help but smile hearing Taeng’s warm voice being projected from the speakers. She bites her bottom lip and anxiously waits for him to appear on the screen.

 “Yes. Now come.” Yul commanded, patting the spot again.

 Taeng bites his bottom lip, “But I’m studying.”

 Jessica tries her best to suppress her laughter; she gazes at Tiffany and lets out a small laugh.

 “Why are you laughing?” Tiffany asked curiously.

 “He’s such a nerd,” Jessica whispered, a small laugh escaping from her lips.

Tiffany swats the latter’s arm, “He’s not a nerd! Stop calling him that!”

 Jessica fans her hand, “Geez calm down Tiffany. Stop getting so defensive about your boyfriend.

Heat rises to Tiffany’s cheek, a tint of red glows on her face. She quickly looks down, “Geez…He’s not my boyfriend…”

Jessica chuckles; she pinches her cheeks and squishes her face. “Aigoo, my little Tiffany is blushing.”

Yul laughs; his attention to Taeng and not the girls, he gazes back at the screen and his eyebrows in confusion.

 “Did I miss something?”

Jessica looks back at the screen, releasing her grasp from Tiffany’s face, she innocently smiles. “No. I was just talking to Tiffany.”

 Tiffany rolls her eyes and places her hands over her warm cheeks that were still red.

Yul slowly nods, “Oookay. Well anyways, Taeng’s going to do something really quick and he’ll join us.”

Jessica claps, “Yes! Good job Yul!”

 Yul chuckles, “Thanks, Sica.”

Taeng shuts off his laptop and closes his textbook. He tidies his desk and places all of his stuff back into his backpack. After he was done, he walks over to the mirror that was behind his door. He glances at his reflection, making sure he looked presentable. He leans in closer to the mirror and examines his face.

He makes a face and chuckles softly, “What are you doing Taeng?” He shakes his head and walks out of his room to Yul’s.

He opens Yul’s door, the latter smiles and scoots over on the bed to make enough space for him.

“Taeng’s here,” Yul chimed, a bright smile on his face.

Tiffany quickly looks at the screen, her eyes brighten seeing Taeng plop on the bed next to Yul. She couldn’t stop the smile that grew on her face, her eyes were glued the moment he entered the screen.

“Taeng!” Jessica yelled in glee, “Hi!”

 Taeng chuckles, “Hi Jessica.”

He gazes at Tiffany, their eyes meet and at that moment they felt as if they were the only two people in the chat. He was stunned and in awe. Her gentle brown eyes gave him a warm feeling and he was captured by her. Tiffany was the same, his onyx eyes made her feel light and she felt sparks surge through her body. They were in their world, lost from the simple look in their eyes.

 Yul waves a hand in front of Taeng, “Hello? Taeng?”

Jessica gazes at Tiffany and does the same action, “Tiffany?”

 They both snap out of their dream world and gaze at each other again.

Taeng clears his throat and gently smiles, “Hello Tiffany.”

Tiffany felt her heart race again, she can’t understand this feeling and why it only happened whenever she was around Taeng.

 She reciprocates a smile, “Hey Taeng.”

 “So Taeng,” Jessica intruded, “Have you been studying hard?”

 Taeng rubs the back of his neck, “Don’t I always?”

 Jessica laughs, “You really are a nerd.”

Yul chuckles, he pats Taeng’s back and grins, “But he’s a handsome nerd.”

Taeng sheepishly smiles, “Geez Yul…”

Yul chuckles again, “What? You are a handsome nerd! Am I right Tiffany?”

 Tiffany flinches in surprise that Yul targeted the question to her. Taeng blushes, he looks down to conceal his blushing face.

“Seriously Yul?” Taeng muttered to him which only received a soft laugh from his friend.

 Tiffany bites her bottom lip, “Y-yeah…”

 Taeng slowly looks up and gazes at her with a soft look.

Tiffany gulps, “He’s a very handsome nerd…”

 Taeng’s red face became redder, heat rises and his heart skipped a beat. Tiffany found herself blushing again, mentally cursing at herself for responding to Yul’s question.

Taeng gulps and awkwardly chuckles, “T-thanks Tiffany…”

 Tiffany nods, her blushing face and rapid heartbeat made it difficult for her to talk. Yul and Jessica look at each other, a smirk on both their faces.

Taeng sighs, “Sorry about yesterday by the way…”

 Tiffany’s eyes widen in surprise, “I should be sorry.”

 Taeng shakes his head, “Things just got awkward yesterday…And honestly? I’m not sure why. But whatever I did to make it awkward, I’m sorry.”

Tiffany felt her heart melt hearing the sincere apology from Taeng, even though she had some part in creating the awkward atmosphere he was willing to take the blame for all of it.

“I appreciate it Taeng and” Tiffany warmly smiles, “I’m sorry too.”

Taeng smiles, “I’m glad to see we cleared that up.”

Tiffany chuckles, “Yeah me too.”

 Yul his eyebrow, “Did I miss something?”

 Jessica laughs, “Nope. Remember? They had their own conversation without us.”

 The two sheepishly smile earning another laugh from Jessica and Yul.

 “You guys’ are so cute,” Jessica cooed, pinching Tiffany’s cheek again.

 Taeng chuckles softly, “Uh thanks, Jessica…”

Tiffany swats Jessica's hand away, “Yeah. Thanks.

“So anyway,” Taeng cut in, “Tiffany. How was your day?”

Tiffany gazes at Taeng with a shocked expression; she found it amusing seeing Taeng make conversation with her. Another smile grows on her face and her eyes sparkle with joy.

“It was…” Tiffany pauses, unsure of what word to use, “Good?”

 Taeng frowns, “Really? The look on your face would disagree.”

 Tiffany’s eyes widen, surprised by the latter’s response.

“W-what?” She stuttered, her eyes glued on him.

Taeng shrugs, “Your face kinda gives off the feeling that something bad happened. Your eyes are sort of puffy too as if you cried.”

 Jessica’s jaw drops, she was in total shock as to how observant Taeng was and more impressed that he was spot on. Tiffany as well was feeling the same; it was rare for any guy to notice the little things in girls and to even do something about it. She felt her heartbeat irregularly again and her mind swirling of thoughts.

“Dang Taeng,” Jessica said softly.

Taeng perks his head up, “What? I’m sorry…Was I being too personal?” He quickly asked, feeling bad that he even brought it up.

 Tiffany quickly shakes her head, “No you weren’t…It’s just that, you’re so observant.”

Taeng tilts his head, “My mom always told me to notice the little things because those are the things that make a big difference.”

Tiffany smiles, she felt as if she could melt under Taeng’s soft and sincere words.

 “Awh, that’s so cute,” Jessica said in awe.

Taeng sticks his tongue out, “Ah thanks…”

“It is…” Tiffany confessed, “I’ve never met a guy who took notice in the littlest things.”

 Taeng dorkily smiles, “Now you have.”

Tiffany’s face brightens up, she felt her heartwarming and her body felt light.

“I’m fine Taeng, I’m just stressed about these upcoming exams. But thank you for your concern.” Tiffany said, not wanting Taeng to worry about her.

“Oh I see, don’t worry I know you can do it! You’re smart.” Taeng replied dorkily, he grins widely at her.

Tiffany chuckles, “Thank you Taeng.”

Her eyes became the perfect signature crescents when she smiled at Taeng. Taeng’s eyes widen, he saw the smile that he loved seeing on her.

That smile…It’s so beautiful. Taeng thought to himself.

 He was absorbed and immobilized by the girls’ perfect smile.

“I know I’ve already said this…but you have a beautiful smile,” Taeng confessed; a sincere smile on his face.

Jessica’s face lights up; she tried her best not to squeal in delight hearing the compliment from Taeng. Yul couldn’t help but smile at his friend as well. Tiffany blushes, her heart skips another beat and her stomach grew butterflies.

“T-thank you Taeng…” Tiffany said; her cheeks tinged with pink.

 Taeng chuckles, “You’re welcome…”

His phone goes off, an incoming call processed to his phone. He takes it out of his pocket and answers it without even bothering to look at the caller ID.

 “Yeoboseyo?” Taeng asked; his eyes still on Tiffany.

 “Taeeennngggg.”

His eyes widen, he pulls his phone away from his ear and looks at the caller ID.

He pulls his phone back to his ear, “Ah Jieun?”

Yul’s smile fades away; he gazes at Jessica who had the same look like him. Tiffany’s smile washes away as well hearing the familiar name. Her stomach starts to feel weird and her eyes were glued on Taeng. She remains quiet and carefully listens to Taeng talk to his girlfriend.

“Baby I miss youuuuu.”

Taeng awkwardly chuckles, “Ah…I miss you too.”

 Tiffany felt a jab in her body hearing Taeng’s words; she wasn’t enjoying seeing Taeng talk sweet.

 “What are you doing?” Jieun asked cutely.

Taeng scratches his head, “Uhm one second Jieun.” He places his phone down and looks at the screen, “I should go…I don’t want to be a bother.”

 “Is that your girlfriend?” Jessica asked, her eyebrows cocked high.

 Taeng nods, “Y-yeah. Excuse me, I’ll be going now. It was nice talking to you guys’. Talk to you soon.”

Tiffany remains quiet but she slightly waves to the webcam. Taeng gives a small smile to her before waving. She watches as Taeng rolls off the bed.

 And out of her sight.