Worth It?

Love Through A Circle

“Taeng.”

“Taeng.”

 “Mr. Kim!”

Taeng immediately lifts his head from his desk hearing his name being yelled into his ears. He groggily looks around and his eyes widen seeing his classmates stare at him with awkward eyes. He gulps and slowly turns his head to face his professor who was angrily staring down at him with crossed arms.

 Professor Park taps his fingers along his arm and deep sighs, “Mr. Kim, you are never one to fall asleep in my class. Especially for 3 days in a row now.”

“I-I’m sorry Professor Park,” Taeng apologetically said, bowing his head.

 “Speak with me after class,” The latter replied firmly, walking away from the blonde hair boy and continuing his lecture.

Taeng softly groans in frustration and stares at his blank sheet of paper on his desk, disappointed at himself for falling asleep during class. He grew more nervous as time dwindles down and once class was dismissed, he felt his heart beating out of control as he packed his backpack and slowly walked towards his professor who was calmly sitting at his desk.

 “I-I’m sorry for falling asleep Professor,” Taeng sincerely said, bowing at a perfect 90-degree angle to his professor.

 Professor Park sighs as he slumps his shoulders, “This is the third time you have fallen asleep in my class Taeng. You never doze off. Have you gotten too smart for my class?”

 “N-no Professor! Not at all,” He exclaimed in distress, “I’ve just been lacking sleep these days. That’s’ all.”

Professor Park shakes his head with his eyes fixated on the floor, “Don’t fall asleep again Taeng or there will be consequences. Consider yourself lucky you’re one of my best students.”

Taeng vigorously nods his head in agreement, “Y-yes sir. It won’t happen again.”

 The latter nods in response indicating their meeting was over. Taeng bows again in apology and leaves the room.

As he drags his feet along the busy campus, he scolds himself for his actions that happened in class. He never has fallen asleep in any of his classes since he started school and it frustrated him how he hasn’t adjusted to his new schedule yet. He knows it’s hard but he’s been pushing himself harder each day so he can fit his daily routine into his life. He was over-obsessed to buy Tiffany’s airplane ticket but he just can’t see the consequences yet.

Taeng lazily drives himself home, mentally thanking whoever was up there that the day was almost over for him. He still had to change into his work uniform and head to work but what he wanted to do more than anything was sleep.

He tiredly sighs as he grabs his backpack and makes his way into the apartment.

Upon opening the door, he hears shuffling in the kitchen, knowing that it’s Yul he takes off his shoes and walks to where his best friend was located. Once he was there, he saw the dark-haired latter preparing his dinner in silence, cutting the vegetables and boiling the water.

Today was Yul’s day off from work, Taeng was supposed to have a day off as well but he insisted on working. Taking a day off for him meant delaying Tiffany’s arrival and he didn’t want that.

“Hey Yul,” Taeng called out to grab his friend’s attention.

 “Hey Taen-Whoa man, what’s wrong with you?!” Yul shouted in shock as he turned towards Taeng.

The blonde-haired boy tilts his head confusedly, “What do you mean?”

 “Look at you, you look exhausted!” Yul explained, pointing under his own eyes for example to the latter.

Taeng scrunches his face, still in confusion, he walks over to the mirror that was next to the fridge to gaze at his appearance. His eyes widen in shock seeing the dark circles and bags under his eyes along with red veins popping out. His face had grown smaller indicating that he lost some weight. He looked exhausted and different, it was his first time to see himself like this and he found it strange that he couldn’t even recognize himself.

Taeng blows out wind and runs his hand through his hair, still amazed at his appearance.

“I look like crap,” He said softly.

 Yul sighs and walks closer to the latter. He clasps both his shoulders and stares at him deep in his eyes.

“Taeng, you should take a rest today. I know you’re working hard because you want to see Tiffany but you shouldn’t overwork yourself. You already have so much on your plate. Final exams are coming up and you need enough rest to pass them,” Yul worriedly explained, feeling sad as he gazes at the appearance of his best friend.

“I know but… I just want to see her Yul. If I take a day off, that pushes a day off when I can see her,” Taeng defended.

 “But you need to take care of yourself first. Tiffany wouldn’t want you to work this hard for her, you know that. Please Taeng, take a rest today,” Yul begged softly, intently looking at his friend with concern.

Taeng takes a deep breath and ponders on Yul’s words. It’s true, it’s been nearly 3 weeks since Taeng has been working at the restaurant and every day is the same for him. School, work, home, it’s a constant never-ending cycle. His sleeping schedule has completely changed and his free time was little to none. He never had time to eat breakfast because he would sleep in as late as he could to gain a little more energy. The only time he had time to eat was during lunch but it wasn’t enough to last a whole day. He wouldn’t have time to cook himself dinner so he was only able to eat bread and small snacks. His diet had changed significantly and it affected his body a lot. He was losing weight drastically.

Tiffany had even grown more worried about her boyfriend’s condition. Every time they called his voice seemed to sound worse, worn out and strained. She felt like a burden that maybe he was staying up late to talk with her so she insisted to call when it was nighttime in America but Taeng declined. He assured her it was because of the final exams he was staying up late but it didn’t satisfy her or make her less worried. She had even contacted Yul numerous times, asking if everything was okay with Taeng to which she always got the same answer.

“He’s just been busy studying.”

 “You know how he is with his studies.”

It didn’t help Tiffany at all with Yul’s vague and repetitious answers.

 Taeng finally sighs after some time and gazes at his friend. The look of worry and concern made him feel guilty that his friend was so concerned with his health. He couldn’t deny that this new schedule was driving him to the bone but he couldn’t help it. Every time they would go to work together, they always assured each other that this was worth it. He still felt that way despite the exhaustion it brought him every day. Sure, it wasn’t easy handling all these things on his plate but he wasn’t going to let himself give up so easily.

It had only been 3 weeks since he started working but umma was generously paying him more than the normal pay because she was touched at how hard he was willing to work. He couldn’t decline the offer of higher pay, it meant he was able to raise the money faster and it determined him more to work harder.

“I’ll be okay Yul,” Taeng calmly replied, “Please don’t worry about me so much. I can take care of myself.”

Yul’s eyes widen hearing the response from the latter, it hurt him that the boy was still willing to work despite his heartfelt concern he expressed to him.

“Taeng please…” Yul insisted, “Just one day isn’t going to hurt you.”

 Taeng sends a soft smile to the latter and clasps his shoulder, “Don’t wait up for me tonight okay? I’ll see you later.”

With that, he takes his work uniform, stuffs it in his bag, and heads out from the apartment.

Leaving a hurt and concerned Yul.

 

As Taeng was walking to work, his phone vibrates in his pocket. Realizing it might be Tiffany, he quickly answers it and places his phone up to his ear.

“Hello?”

“Good morning Taeng!” Tiffany chirped, a bright smile on her face. She could already sense the tiredness in her boyfriend’s tone so she immediately wanted to brighten his day before she went off to class.

 “Good morning Miyoung-ah, did you sleep well?” Taeng replied hoarsely, exhaustion taking over his body.

“I did! Can I turn this to a video call?” Tiffany asked cutely.

The blonde-haired boy immediately agreed and switched the call to video. In an instant both their faces load on their screens. Taeng cutely waves to his girlfriend but instead of a wave back he receives wide eyes and a gasp.
 

“Taeng!” Tiffany shouted with shock.

Taeng pauses his steps and tilts his head, “What? What’s wrong?”

“Your face…” Tiffany said softly, gazing at every inch of his face.

The latter tiredly sighs, “I know…”

“You’re losing so much weight, have you been eating well? Look at the bags under your eyes, have you been sleeping at all?” Tiffany worriedly asked, her heart aching seeing her love look so different.

 Taeng slowly nods and tries to send a reassuring smile, “I’m okay Miyoung-ah, it’s just my-”

 “Final exams, I know,” Tiffany finished, “But that doesn’t mean you stop taking care of yourself. Look at you… I’m so worried about your health these days.”

 “I know Tiffany, I know,” Taeng replied softly, “But trust me. I’ll be okay. I can take care of myself.”

Taeng gazes at his watch and realizes the time, he was going to be late to work if he didn’t leave now. As much as he wanted to talk with his girlfriend, it was time for him to go.

 “But Taeng-”

 “Tiffany, I have to go, can I call you later?” Taeng quickly said, cutting off the dark-haired latter.

Tiffany’s eyes widen in surprise and felt her heart ache at how quick their call had to end. Her goal of trying to cheer her boyfriend up seemed to have failed, she wanted to cry but she didn’t want him to worry about her otherwise his health might get worse.

 “Oh… Okay,” Tiffany dejectedly replied, her sadness apparent in her tone.

 Taeng felt guilty seeing the look on his girlfriend’s face, it hurt him knowing that they couldn’t talk to each other longer but he was doing this for her. He was mentally sending her sincere feelings that he was going through all this for her and he hoped she understood.

 “Have a good day today okay? Please don’t worry about me, I’ll be okay as long as I still have you,” Taeng said sweetly, a smile on his face.

Tiffany sadly smiles hearing the sweet words, “Okay… But please take a good rest tonight okay? And eat more.”

“I will. I promise. I love you, Tiffany,” He said softly, blowing her a kiss with his free hand.

“I love you too Taeng…” She said softly, trying her best to sound happy.

She slowly blows him a kiss as well and watches as Taeng waves one last time before disappearing from her screen. She sets her phone on her bed softly and closes her eyes. An image of the current Taeng appears before her, how his eyes looked so red and tired, how his face was small and his voice so hoarse and raspy.

 Tears fall down Tiffany’s cheek seeing the sight of her boyfriend in her mind, her worry growing stronger throughout her body.

“Taeng… Why are you doing this to yourself?” She asked herself as she covered her face with her hands and wept softly against them.

 

 

I decided to fast forward Taeng’s work a little because I felt as if, if I wrote about him working every 3 or 4 days it would be repetitious since he does the same thing every day. This is supposed to show how drastic this new lifestyle took on him and I wanted you all to see the changes of Taeng in just a small matter of time. How do you guys like the story so far? I hope you’re enjoying it. I really appreciate all the subscribers and comments.

Until the next update. -Musicisanelement