Keep Your Guard Up

Day By Day

“And you’re sure that you’re okay with this school transfer, Junhong?”

Junhong shrugged nonchalantly. “It’s not like it makes a difference, Hyung. I didn’t have many friends at my old school, so I couldn’t care less.”

“I’m really sorry, Junhong-ah,” Seunghyun said in earnest. “It’s just that I heard that there was a transfer student in your old school that had a criminal record, so I panicked and transferred you immediately.”

Junhong chuckled. “Aish, my worrisome Hyung. You don’t need to worry at all. I’ll be fine.”

“Just be careful, okay?”

Junhong nodded. “Of course. You act like I’m some assassin or something.”

Seunghyun paused, an unfathomable, glassy look in his eyes.

“Hyung? What’s wrong?” Junhong asked warily.

“Ah, nothing. You better get some rest, Junhong-ah,” said Seunghyun. “Early start at a new school tomorrow and all.”

“Oh, that’s right – Hyung, what’s the name of my new school?”

“Korea National School of Arts.”

Junhong nodded before sighing resignedly.

“Can’t wait.”

**

“Everyone, please welcome our new student, Choi Junhong.”

Junhong waved disinterestedly at the gaggle of students that he’d have to spend the rest of the school year with.

“Welcome, Junhong!” the class chorused with enthusiasm, none of which rubbed off on Junhong.

“Thank you, everyone,” said Junhong with a practiced tone. “I hope we can all be good friends. Please take care of me.”

He bowed out of respect and made his way to his newly assigned seat at the back of the room. Looking around, he noticed a boy near him with shocking blond hair similar to his own. The boy had perfect Cupid’s-bow lips, a button nose, and sharp almond eyes.

To be frank, he looked quite interesting.

Junhong shook his head as the thought crossed his mind.

No, Junhong, he reprimanded himself. Remember what Hyung said. Socializing and trusting is a no-no.

“Hey,” he heard a nearby voice whisper. “You’re a new kid, huh? Junhong, was it?”

Junhong refused to reply. He stared straight ahead, sitting up and pretending to listen to whatever the teacher was saying.

“I’m Himchan,” the other boy continued to say. “It’s nice to meet you.”

Junhong couldn’t fight the curiosity that was bubbling inside of him – he turned to look, and was surprised to find that the student who had greeted him was the boy who he thought looked interesting.

The boy – Himchan – looked pleased that Junhong was finally paying attention to him.

“What arts do you participate in?” Himchan asked eagerly. “I play traditional Korean instruments like the daegeum and janggu, plus I sing a little bit. Do you sing? You seem like a rapper to me.”

Junhong jerked back the slightest bit, intimidated at the forwardness of his classmate.

“I’m sorry, am I scaring you?” Himchan pouted. “Is it because of my teeth?”

Junhong raised his eyebrows.

“People say that I look like a bunny,” Himchan admitted sheepishly. “Or a squirrel. Do you think I look like a bunny? Would that be a bad thing, though…?”

“What is the square root of 196?” both boys heard the teacher ask a boy who’d started to doze off.

“E-Eh, 12?” the boy answered groggily.

“It’s 14!” Himchan interjected contemptuously. “Gosh, you’re stupid, Yongguk! How are you supposed to survive…in this tough world?”

He struck a dramatic pose, flashy hand gestures and all.

Junhong stared at him with wide eyes.

What…What exactly is this guy? He wondered.

“Junhong, I like your hair,” Himchan commented randomly, which left Junhong to wonder when he’s averted his attention back to him. “It’s all curly and pretty, like cotton candy.”

“Cotton…candy?” Junhong echoed uncertainly.

“Wah, you talked?” Himchan adopted an aegyo expression. “Your voice is so pretty, too!”

“Settle down, Himchan!” the boy from before hissed.

“Shut up, Dragon Soup,” Himchan called back, sticking his tongue out. He turned and opened his mouth to talk to Junhong once more, but the bell rang just then.

“I guess I’ll see you la –” Himchan tried to say.

But Junhong was already out the door.

**

“Junhong-pyon, good morning,” greeted Himchan the next day.

“Junhong-pyon?” Junhong repeated quietly.

“Yes, my friend got me to read this manga that showed a bunch of friends that called each other by –pyon at the ends of their names,” said Himchan. “I thought it was cute, Junhong-pyon, and I think it’s associated with bunnies. Hey, wanna be bunnies together?”

“Ah…I…”

“Himchan, stop bothering the boy. Can’t you see he’s not interested?”

Both looked up at this new voice. It wasn’t Yongguk, but it sounded strangely familiar to Junhong.

Once he locked eyes with the stranger, he felt a weird but forceful pang in his chest.

“I’m Daehyun, by the way,” the dirty-blond-haired boy introduced himself. “Nice to meet you…Junhong, right?”

Instead of replying, Junhong turned away abruptly, though he had no idea why.

I stay around long enough to witness the last tendrils of smoke fade into nothing.

Junhong's breath hitched. He was shocked to hear those words in his head, though he'd never heard them before.

“A-Ah, forgive him, Daehyun,” said Himchan awkwardly. “Junhong-pyon’s a little shy.”

“Don’t call me Junhong-pyon,” Junhong whispered quickly.

Himchan turned to look at him with startled eyes.

“S-Sorry, Junhong,” he mumbled. “I didn’t know it annoyed you.”

“I have to go,” Junhong said indifferently, not meeting Daehyun’s eyes and walking out of the classroom.

“Wai – Junhong?!” Himchan called after him. “Where are you going? Homeroom is about to start!”

“Let him go, Himchan,” Daehyun said.

“Let him cool off.”

**

“Junhong, good mor –” Himchan tried to greet the next day.

“I’m sorry, Himchan-sshi, but I’m afraid that I’m not allowed to socialize,” Junhong cut in uneasily.

“Not…Not allowed to socialize?” repeated the other boy. “What does that mean?”

“My Hyung told me to be careful,” Junhong muttered. “There are…There are bad people everywhere, and I can’t let my guard down.”

Himchan smiled gently, finally understanding the nature of Junhong’s introverted ways.

“I see.” He looked up to grin at Junhong. “But you don’t think I’m a bad person…Do you?”

Junhong’s eyes widened. “Er – No, but I can’t take my chances. I’m sorry, Himchan-sshi.”

He turned away and put his focus into the book that they’d been assigned to read.

Himchan turned to his own book, humming happily.

I won’t give up, Junhong-pyon, he giggled in his head. I know you’re a great person.

You just need to come out of your shell.