Dreams Are Nightmares

Day By Day

 

“Junhong!”

Junhong’s head snapped up as he heard his Hyung’s voice echo through the deserted warehouse.

“Hyung,” he choked out. “Hyung, no…”

Seunghyun came running in with Jiyong, a gun in each of their hands.

Daehyun emitted a barking laugh, slinging his arm around Junhong’s neck and pressing the cool muzzle of the gun against Junhong’s temple.

Seunghyun and Jiyong stopped a few feet away from them.

“Last words, Junhong,” Daehyun dictated.

For a moment, Junhong’s body convulsed with violent sobs. Then, he took a deep breath and opened his mouth to speak.

“Hyung, this is the end. I know that we’ve been on the rocks these past few weeks –”

“Junhong, don’t talk like that,” Seunghyun hissed.

“ – but I wanted you to know that you’re the best Hyung I could have ever asked for,” Junhong proceeds to say. “I’m sorry I didn’t understand before, but I do now. Thank you for providing me with so much. I’m so glad that you got to be happy with Jiyong.” He turned to the man in question. “Jiyong Hyung, I’m sorry for everything. Thank you for changing my Hyung for the better.”

“Last words,” Daehyun repeated mercilessly.

“Mianhaeyo, Hyung,” Junhong said at last. “Mia ame kotoko saranghae.”

The next few seconds seemed to occur in slow motion.

Seunghyun saw Daehyun pull the trigger.

He could feel his feet propel themselves forward, but they were far too slow.

He saw the blood, saw the last smile that Junhong was able to have, and saw as his eyes lost their light.

He heard his brother’s body fall to the ground, saw the blood as it flowed out of his head.

Junhong’s hair is red, a voice in the back of Seunghyun’s head noted. But that’s not right. Junhong is blond. Why is it red? Why is there so much red? So, so much red…

JUNHONG!”

Immediately, shots were being fired. Daehyun hid behind a wall and Seunghyun took Jiyong to hind behind some metal boxes that were probably there for storage.

You ing coward!” Seunghyun screamed in agony. “Face me! Face me!”

He ran out into the open, playing right into Daehyun’s trap.

Daehyun aimed and took his shot.

There was a deafening boom in the air. Seunghyun closed his eyes and braced himself for the inevitable pain that would follow, but it never came.

He opened his eyes and gasped.

Jiyong stood before him with his arms fanned out like a bird in flight. He smiled shakily at Seunghyun, unable to stop the blood that dripped from his mouth. Red stained the immaculate white suit that he’d donned from the party, and his blond hair was in wild disarray.

So much red…

“Jiyong,” Seunghyun was barely able to say, catching Jiyong in his arms as his beloved collapsed to the floor.

“It’s my turn to save you now, dummy,” Jiyong whispered weakly. “I told you…that I – that I would make you trust me again, that I would make you love me again. Did it work?”

Seunghyun smiled through the tears that streaked down his face. He held Jiyong’s hand tightly in his.

“You never had to try,” Seunghyun told him, fondly his hair.

“Seunghyun, I love you,” Jiyong said with difficulty. “I’m sorry that you had to go through so much for us to be together, but I’m so happy that we got to be together at all, no matter how short the time.”

“It feels weird,” said Seunghyun, repeating the words he’d said on that first night that they had dinner together. “But it feels like I’ve known you for years now.”

Jiyong beamed, the pure love and joy radiating from his expression even on the verge of death.

“I know what you mean,” he recited, playing along. “A-After all, o-opposites do…attract…”

The grip that he had on Seunghyun’s hand slackened. The coffee-brown eyes that Seunghyun had known by heart rolled back and disappeared behind pale eyelids.

In a heartbeat, the center of his Universe was gone.

What’s happening? He wondered. Why am I alone?

Where are Junhongie and Yongie?

You !”

Seunghyun charged toward Daehyun, firing aimlessly.

“You took everything away from me!”

Daehyun had the gall to grin at him. “Isn’t that what we do? We rob people of their lives’ happiness.”

Daehyun had always been a better marksman than Seunghyun. He took his shot, hitting Seunghyun on the inner thigh.

Seunghyun hit the ground, breathing hard. Blood began to rush from his thigh, flowing to the ground in a scarlet puddle.

“The femoral arteries that are found within your thigh are the longest and biggest arteries in your body,” said Daehyun conversationally. “You’ll be dead within minutes, and my mission will have been completed.”

“200 lives,” Seunghyun said softly.

Daehyun moved closer until he was standing above Seunghyun.

“Excuse me?”

“I took 200 lives,” Seunghyun elaborated. “Without a care, I…as you said…robbed people of their lives’ happiness. I thought that the only thing that mattered…was getting the job done, was completing…the mission.” He took a deep breath. “I’m thankful that I get to die knowing that the truth isn’t so.”

Daehyun raised his eyebrows.

“Too bad the same can’t be said for you,” Seunghyun concluded, and with all the strength he had left, he raised his gun and fired before Daehyun could even blink.

It was a clean shot, right under the left .

“The heart cannot function,” Seunghyun breathed as Daehyun fell, “without the aorta. You’d die instantly.”

Gritting his teeth, he crawled. He crawled to where Jiyong’s and Junhong’s bodies were, and positioned himself next to them.

“My beloved dongsaeng,” he began. “My Jiyong. We can finally…rest.”

Seunghyun woke up, drenched from sweat while sleeping. He looked at the clock beside him, it was 12am.

"Damn.." He cursed  "that dream always appears.."

"Hyung, how many times have you had that dream?" Junhong said, standing up from his chair and sitting next to his hyung.

"I can barely count.. But its a nightmare.. I can't explain it but.."

"You didn't like to have those kinds of dreams." Junhong finished for him.

"Junhong-ah, promise me.. you'll be careful, please." Seunghyun pleaded without looking at his dongsaeng.

Junhong leaned to his hyung ang hugged him, whispering "Ne hyung. I promise with all my soul. I promise not to trust anyone, I love you too much to disobey you."

"Thank you, Junhong." Seunghyun said and hugged Junhong back.