The Gentle Man: Mistaken

The Gentle Man

 

Author's note - I just had the longest writer's block ever. To be honest, I knew what the general idea of the next chapter would be every time I write. It's just I have a little bit of trouble executing my thoughts in detail onto the story. Especially the fact that it's in one of the character's perspective. 
 
I feel like some things are lacking here in this chapter. I'm trying to enhance my writing abilities, so... COMMENTS & REVIEWS are very welcome! Subscribe if you like "The Gentle Man" so far and/or if you'd like to see more of my creations. Well, anyway, without further ado, here you go.
 
--
 
{ Flashback }
 
Beep. "Hey, uhm, it's Jiyong. I... don't really know how to say this. I know we're not in good terms right now. I know that you still feel bitter, and I understand that, but... I wanna talk to you." I breathed out. "Call me back. Uhm... okay. Bye." I left a voicemail to Dara's home phone. 
 
I must be crazy, huh? Calling an ex-girlfriend to make up. I've talked to my friends and told me to give up. "Aw, Ji, there are other fishes in the sea," one would say. Another would say, "I feel your pain. It takes time, but seriously, look at your situation logically. The woman was cheating with you. She has another man while she's with you. Think about it." They don't understand. I have this deep feelings for her. This might sound cheesy, but... I have truly never felt like this before. Now I understand why couples feel that spark in their relationship. I feel that... that spark... with her... with Dara.
 
Beeeep. "Hey. I got your voice message. You wanted to talk about something? I'll be out in a few. Just leave me a message." A voice mail was left in my phone. It sounded exactly like Dara. She didn't sound ecstatic to make contact with me. It's understandable, but I was really surprised she even had the guts to contact me again. I wonder what happened with "Don't try to look for me, Jiyong."?
 
Beep. "Hey, it's me again. This will be weird but, I miss you... truly. I wanna make this work out. Remember when I told you couples will fight and argue but they'll always find a way out of it? I want to do that. Sincerely. One step at a time. Together. Call me back." I left a message the next day. I wonder how she will react. Would it feel like I just dropped a bomb? Or like heaven -- an open gate for forgiveness and peace?
 
My phone rang five minutes later.
"Jiyong."
 
"Dara?"
 
"I miss you, too."
 
"W-Wow... I miss you... so much. This is crazy!"
 
"We're crazy." she laughed a little.
 
"Let's... let's make this work."
 
"Okay." I can feel her smiling. "One step at a time."
 
"One step at a time." I chuckled. 
 
Right then, the non-stop calling started. Endless, sleepless nights of just pure talking to each other on the phone, and texting. I would call her in the every morning and say, 
 
                   "Good morning, beautiful! Be strong. Keep your head up, and eat a healthy breakfast! Flying kisses~ mwuah~" 
 
Everything seemed good. It seemed like we were in good terms.
 
 
{ End of flashback }
 
 
- Present Day - (conversation near Dara's house -- refer to Chapter 3)
 
 
Dara looked at me with almost teary eyes. "Yeah," she said. "Yeah, I'm perfectly fine. By the way, that girl you've been talking to. Minzy? Keep it up.  She's a close friend of mine. She's like my sister. Minzy likes the way you treat her. Like how you treated me. She told me you always say good morning to her, and call her beautiful." 
 
"When I called her, I thought she was you because she lives in your house now," I said. I'm embarrassed. I've been flirting with that girl through the phone because I thought she was Dara. It was my way of wanting to get back together, or at least just be friends. Minzy didn't even bother to say that she's not Dara. She went on. I guess she liked me that much. 
 
 "She's there to protect my parents' house for a little while," she smiled a little. "But hey! It's awesome that you've developed a friendship with my brother, Chaerin, and Minzy. Normally, couples who break up never keep contact again. But you," she smiled. "You're such a nice guy. You're a keeper. Find a good woman, Jiyong. The one that's worth your love." 
 
"Thanks, I guess." I smiled shyly to Dara. "You know what, I have to go," I actually don't. I just need to get out this awkward tension between us. "I have some business to take care of. It's really nice seeing you today." I said, turning the ignition on. Dara nodded, "Oh, is that so?" She stepped away a little from my car. "It's cool to see you, too. Take care!" She waved goodbye as I drove away.
 
The traffic lights turned red, bringing my car to s full stop. I sighed heavily. Minzy? Her name is Minzy? She... she wasn't Dara? Motherer. . I banged my head on the wheel. Stupid, stupid. You fool. You bastard. I just embarrassed myself. What if I bump into this Minzy girl? I'll be a laughing stock. "BABO-YAAAHHH!" I yelled as loud as I could in my car. The driver to my left turned his head to me with a curious expression. "I'm just frustrated, ahjussi." I mouthed. "I'm sorry." I said apologetically while bowing. The traffic lights then turned green. I drove again. I need energy. I need a quiet place to think. Coffee shops are perfect.
 
 
"I'll get a large black coffee, please. Can you also give me the sweetest dessert or snack that you have?" I asked. The manager of the coffee shop gave me what I asked. "Thank you." I bowed and turned to get a seat for myself, when suddenly a girl bumped into me, spilling a little bit of my hot drink.
 
 She gasped, "Omo! I am so sorry! Are you okay? Did any of clothing get wet? Should I ask for another drink for you? Don't worry, I'll pay for it."
 
 I stood up properly, wiping off any possible droplets of liquid on my arms and chest. "No, no, no. I'm fine, I'm fine. This shirt's pretty old, anyway. I would care less." I said, smiling to her. I saw a little bit of her face but she turned away, looking for something. She wore dark skinny jeans and a tank top with a cardigan. 
 
"Oh, I'll still buy you something. I need to fix my mistakes, or at least make a resolution from it," she insisted. "Excuse me," she looked for the cashier, not making any eye contact with me. "Can I get two frappuccinos? My name's Gong Minji. Actually, just put Minzy; it's my nickname. M-I-N-Z-Y. I wanna take a photo of my cup with my name written nicely for Instagram." she giggled to herself.
 
 She's... she's Minzy? Holy... oh my. I-I need to get out of here. "What about you? What's your na--" she turned to me. I think it was the first time she saw my face. I gulped, "Jiyong. Kwon Jiyong."
 
 
We both sat at a table. Both of us were silent. Nothing. Not a word except the sound of sipping our drinks. I, myself, can't even drink. I'm left speechless. I looked nowhere but at my black coffee with my head down. It turned warm, not as hot as when I received it earlier. In the corner of eye, I can see her wanting to say something but can't really do so.
 
"You sound like her." I said suddenly. I think my sudden words shocked her.
 
"Pardon me?" Minzy asked.
 
"The tone of your voice. The way you deliver yourself. All of the emotions behind it." I looked up to see her face. "You sound like her, like Dara."
 
"We're childhood friends," she slightly smiled as she caressed her cup of frap. "We used to copy each others' voices. That's how strong our friendship is. We grew up like sisters. Although I'm younger than her, I act like her big sis, her protector." she nodded.
 
"It's good to know that she has you. A protector." I said.
 
"It's good to see you," she said. I looked at her and raised my eyebrow. "I finally got to be in front of the famous Kwon Jiyong," she smiled. "The famous lover of my bestfriend. The nice guy."
 
Silence grew again between us. "You know, we need to have a talk. A real talk." I said seriously.
 
"Okay," she said softly. "Go ahead."
 
"You and I... on the phone. Our endless conversations... I thought, I thought you were Dara. I'm--" 
 
"I'm sorry." she cut me off. "You know what, I'm not going to sugar coat anything between us. I've been on the phone with you, acting like I'm Dara." I held onto my cup tighter. "Honestly, I'm honoured to meet you face to face. I have nothing against you. You really are a nice guy. Calling your loved one beautiful every morning, motivating them to go throughout the day. The fact that I was able to witness that with Dara's phone was unbelievable. So, that's how you treat someone when you're in love, huh? That's sweet of you." Minzy smiled. "Anyway, I'm sorry again. I didn't do what I did with you to make a fool out of you. I did it for Dara."
 
Cheondung is there, acting as his older sister's shield. Minzy's here, keeping her bestfriend away from pain, from tragedy, from that dark, black hole. And Chaerin... well, I don't understand her position. Is she in my side? Or my ex-girlfriend's? But I can tell she's the one showing us the positives and negatives in my relationship with Dara... because she's a friend of hers. While I'm here, no one came to my side yet. Taeyang is there, but he doesn't understand.
 
"Hey," Minzy interrupted my train of thoughts as she held my hand on the table. "You look like you're thinking so deeply about something. Come to me if you have any troubles. You may think that no one is on your side, but you thought wrong," she said nicely. It was like she read my mind. She let go of my hand, then lightly placed her purse on the table, and got a small paper. "Here's my number," she said, writing it down with her name beside it. "Don't be awkward with me. Just look at me like your sister. But I won't call you oppa." she chuckled. "I like you, Jiyong... as a friend." she grinned.
 
"Thank you." I said, holding onto the paper. "I'm embarrassed." I hid my face with the palm of my hand.
 
"Don't be." Minzy said, trying to make me comfortable. "Everything will be fine. Let's forget whatever our conversations were on the phone. Arraseo?" she said with the most soothing voice, comforting voice. "Okay." I replied, grinning slightly.
 
Our conversation escalated and expanded. We introduced each other. We explained to one another who we are...
 
"Gong Minji is my birth name. I went to America and decided to spell it differently; that's where Minzy came from. 20 years of age, 8 years younger than Dara unnie."
 
... our interests...
 
"I'm into dancing. Pop it, lock it. You know those kinds of stuff, right?" she chuckled, moving her shoulders. "I actually have a dance studio I bought myself at Seoul. You should check it out."
 
... and then we continued to share our thoughts about those phone calls for one another. I was mistaken, and I'm not going to lie, embarrassed. Shame on myself. I'm too gullible. I am truly glad, though, that when I met Minzy face to face, she never reacted like this is war and has the need to run away. No. She sat beside me. Talked about things that felt necessary to discuss. She spoke casually. I appreciate her kindness. 
 
"I have to go some place else. I'll talk to Dara if you want me to." Minzy stood up, gathering our empty cups to throw away.
 
"Nah, I'll be fine. It's a pleasure meeting you, though." I said, standing up as well.
 
Minzy walked up to the trash bin and threw our garbage away. "My pleasure, as well. I'll see you around," she waved goodbye with two hands, walking away. "Don't forget to call me when you need me!"
 
"Yeah, yeah! Bye!" I waved my fingers as I watch her jog to her car and drive away. I smiled to myself. That wasn't so bad, I thought to myself. I exited the coffee shop and walked up to my own car. That really wasn't so bad after all. I opened the driver's door to get in. I sat comfortably and turned the ignition on, but it failed on me. . I turned my car keys again, hoping for my vehicle to start. Failed, again. I groaned frustratingly. I checked the hood to see if anything is wrong. There seems to be no sign of prob--
 
"Yah," a person came right beside me. "Need a hand?"
 
"Uh, no." I chuckled. "I'm perfectly fine!" I exclaimed, trying to sound okay.
 
"Good," the person smacked my back hard. "'Cause this girl Chaerin wasn't gonna give you any help anyway." she smirked.
 
"W-What are you doing here, Chaerin?" I asked nervously.
 
"W-W-Whatt?" she mocked me. "Chillax. I was just in the neighbourhood playing cards with a few folks." Chaerin said. "But hey, I happened to see you talking to Minzy." she whispered  "What were you two chit-chatting about, huh?"
 
"Nothing." I said with a blank expression. I looked at the oil of my vehicle and carefully touched the engine.
 
"Nothing? Really? There's always something behind nothing."
 
"Not something you're supposed to know."
 
"Ah, keeping secrets now, eh? Is it about Dara?"
 
"I don't know. You tell me."
 
"Ah, so we're gonna play that game. Okay. I can work with that." she walked to my other side and leaned on the car. "Let me think," she said, putting her fingers on her forehead like a thinking fortune teller. "Mr. Kwon called the home phone of wonderful Miss Park. One answered and sounded exactly like Miss Park. Mr. Kwon wanted to make up and believed the voice is Miss Park's," she smirked widely. "... and the rest is history."
 
"... how did you know?"
 
"So it is true!" she laughed. "Oh, honey. You're so silly. Running here and there, oh so desperately. You're seeking for answers every chance you can get. You're embarrassed, I know. Funny, calling her every morning and such," she laughed. "You should be embarrassed."
 
I slammed my hands on my car in a verge of rage. "I don't understand what your role is in my life or even in Dara's--"
 
"A friend of Dara's for 3 years now."
 
I sighed heavily. "You tell me I'm the one running here and there? Well, guess what. You're the one sneaking up on people at the worst time and wrong place. I have no idea how you know where I am at certain days, and it's creeping me the out. You're lunatic. Every time I move, it feels like you're always a step behind me. You may be seeing both me and Dara to see how we are at our current situation, but you're not that kind of friend who makes the situation any better or make the illusion of being better. You are what you so-call a friend that makes things worse by using blackmail and spreading gossip about my love life and my personal life." I said angrily. 
 
"I'm a friend of yours and Dara's and I will continue to be one. I don't know what goes on your head to make you think that way of me. You're the one who's implying whatever you think I am. I'll be here by each of your sides. I'm a modest girl, you know that. I'm being me, Ji. I'm not here to fight." Chaerin said calmly. 
 
I shook my head in disbelief and closed my car's hood angrily. I went inside my car and put my keys in.
 
"CeeCee's always here." she said, pouting against my window. I turned the ignition on and it miraculously started.