Gingers Have No Souls (Sol)

Soul Catchers

 

Today’s the day, Sol. It’s time to put your plan into action.

 

I gave myself a mini-pep talk (not that I need one) before heading out of the bus and onto the sidewalk.

 

I have to get him to talk. I have to get through to him.

 

He can’t be silent forever.

 

I turned around, expecting to see the boy in question, but was surprised to see nothing but the school bus zoom by.

 

Did he stay after school? I swear I thought I saw him on the bus…

 

I turned back to the front to see his back quickly moving down the sidewalk ahead of me.

 

Man, he’s fast. What’s the hurry?

 

After glancing back to see how far away I was, he slowed down.

 

Am I that scary?

 

He continued to walk at a slow, even pace.

 

I walked faster to make up for being so far behind.

 

I heard a car making its way down the street. In no time, it would be speeding through the mini-intersection in front of me.

 

The cars around here stop for no one.

 

Now’s your chance, Sol. Do it now.

 

 I took a deep breath before I bolted into the crosswalk.

 

My timing was perfect.

 

I screamed as loud as I could. Within seconds I felt the overwhelming impact of the car crushing the left side of my body.

 

Breathe, Sol, breathe.

 

Expecting the car to stop moving, I tried to relax as I waited for help.

 

The car didn’t stop.

 

“Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!”

 

I screamed a real scream this time.

 

The car made it’s way over the formerly unharmed right side of my body.

 

Somebody make it stop. Make it stop!

 

I heard the sound of rushed footsteps coming towards me.

 

It’s over now. It’s going to be okay.

 

I was wrong.

 

As if crushing me once with the front tires weren’t enough, the driver decided to completely drive over me with the back tires too.

 

I can do this. I can do this.

 

“STOP! HEY!” A soft but angry voice screamed.

 

I no longer smelt gasoline and exhaust, but once again felt the sun’s rays.

 

My ears started ringing and I knew I was in trouble.

 

“Hey! Are you okay?” the soft voice asked.

 

I didn’t dare open my eyes.

 

“Can you say something?”

 

“I…AOOOOOWWWW!” I felt a horrible pain in my chest. It was as if someone lit a Samurai sword on fire and plunged it into my lungs. I could barely breathe.

 

“You’re actually conscious?”

 

“Yes…yes I am.” I spoke between sharp pants.

 

It’ll be okay. Push through.

 

“I’m fine.” I tried to smile through the pain, but was left with a weird lopsided smirk grin on my face.

 

My ability to endure extreme pain surprised everyone I met, but it was totally normal to me.

 

“WHAT? How is that even possible?” The voice asked, confused.

 

“No time to explain…can you help me up?”

 

“Oh…yeah sure.” The voice replied.

 

I felt a sharp abdominal pain as the person’s arm wrapped around my waist.

 

I opened my eyes.

 

He has the most beautiful eyes. So bright. Like stars in the night sky. Brighter than Polaris.

 

“Hi.” I said plainly.

 

“Umm…hi I guess.” He replied awkwardly. “Should I call 119?” A/N: 119 is the emergency number in Korea.

 

“No. I’ll be fine.”

 

“How…”

 

“Just trust me okay?”

 

“Sure. But what’s your name?” Mystery boy asks.

 

“Sol. Lee Sol. And you?”

 

“Jeongmin. Lee Jeongmin.”

 

“Nice name.” I smiled.

 

“Thanks.” Jeongmin’s lips form an awkward smile.

 

“Hey, Sol?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“You’re covered in blood and you’ve probably got some broken bones.”

 

Well, gee thanks.  I hadn’t noticed.

 

“Your point?”

 

The idea of severe blood loss never occurred to me (or applied to me anyway), but maybe it occurred to him…

 

“What am I supposed to do in this situation?”

 

Nope, guess not.

 

“Normally, you would call 119, wait for an ambulance to pick me up, report the incident to the police, and sit by my hospital bed waiting for me to recover.” I explained.

 

“But…” He looked completely and utterly confused.

 

“But I’m perfectly fine and the car that hit me left anyways so just relax.”

 

“Are you really okay?” Jeongmin asked me innocently.

 

“Yes, I’m fine. I know this seems crazy now, but maybe one day you’ll understand.”

 

“Sure…”

 

“Well, it was nice meeting you! I’ll see you at the bus stop tomorrow!” I said cheerfully.

 

“Yeah…you too. I guess I’ll see you tomorrow then.” Jeongmin replied awkwardly.

 

“Bye!” I tried to hold up my arm and wave goodbye, but winced in pain.

 

Jeongmin looked at me with concern in his eyes.

 

“Yeah…bye.” He said coolly as he continued to walk down the sidewalk.

 

“Well, that was…awkward to say the least.” I whispered to myself.

 

“Now to get myself back home…”

 

I glanced down at my bloody, scratched limbs.

 

He didn’t even offer to walk me home…such a peculiar kid.

 

I knew I wouldn’t be able to get home in this state.

 

“Hey Sol?” I looked up to see Jeongmin in front of me. He looked nervous and shy.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Do you need help getting home?”

 

“Yes. Yes I do.”

 

“Hop on.” He pointed to a bicycle parked on the sidewalk with a kickstand.

 

“Hop?” How does he expect me to get on there myself?

 

“Oh right…I’ll help you then.” Jeongmin said after noticing my dilemma.

 

Jeongmin hesitantly put his arms around my chest and attempted to hold me bridal style.

 

I tried desperately to hold back tears as the pain radiated through my body.

 

It’ll be okay, Sol. It’ll be okay.

 

“S-sol…?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“How are you going to stay on the bike without falling off?”

 

I actually hadn’t thought about that.

 

I think I can manage though.

 

“Don’t worry. I’ll just hold onto you.” I replied.

 

“If you say so…” Jeongmin says, hesitant.

 

Jeongmin situated me on the bike. I held onto him with all the strength I could muster. It was enough to keep me on the bike as we rode off into the night.

 

Or at least, down the road.

 

I fell asleep with my arms still around his waist.

---

Hello beautiful people!

I posted the first chapter! I hope you like it :D

Just a question for anyone that reads this:

I've noticed I tend to be pretty systematic in my writing in that I don't typically write paragraphs, but do it more line by line.

Is that okay? Is it annoying? Should I stop?

I've been wondering about it recently. Pleae let me know what you think!

-Abbee