Chapter 6: Special Deliveries

The Farming Days

 

- The Farming Days –
Chapter 6:

Special Deliveries

 

 

 

Yesterday's storm vented the last of its fury impotently, the previously cyclone strength winds and rain amounting to little more than a light ale, it still managed to knock some branches down and scare the farms chicken, but it's worst effect was wasting the time of the farms residents, and ensuring that any plans would be delayed further with cleaning up it's impotent rage.

 

Dawn was about to break on the home Sunny, Hyoyeon and Yuri lived in, the house was dark except for the light in Yuri’s en-suite, where Yuri was trying to wake up, washing out the sleep she’d accrued from a hard day working with Hyoyeon, unfortunately cut short by the sudden storm. As Yuri finished shampooing her hair she assumed that they’d be out there today to finish the job, Ms. Lee seemed to have her heart set on extending the barn, Yuri hoped last night’s rain wasn’t an omen of even more showers.

 

Elsewhere in the house, Sunny was on top of Hyoyeon, snuggling for the sake of body heat, necessary against cold night and chilly morning. The natural fragrance Hyoyeon transmitted was energizing and addicting, her arms bringing comfort and ease after the most tiring days, Sunny wouldn't mind laying there for ever. Hyoyeon woke up before Sunny, having a long day ahead like yesterday, she let her wife tighten her grip and hug her for comfort before she began to stir. She loved when Sunny was acting like this, it made her feel she was in the perfect spot. The alarm sounding threatened Sunny’s reverie and Hyoyeon reached to shut it off.

 

“Sunny-ah” Hyoyeon whispered sweetly to her lover, brushing the hair off of her face.

 

“Five more minutes” Sunny said with a yawn, snuggling closer into Hyoyeon’s neck, breathing in a deep breath and letting Hyoyeon’s aroma infect her nostrils. Hyoyeon kissed Sunny’s temple and tightened her own embrace. Five more minutes wouldn’t hurt that much.

 

Neither of them moved for another twenty minutes, they were tired from the previous days activities securing the property against the monster storm the weatherman had predicted. Hyoyeon with Yuri who were supposed to measure the barn for the upcoming renovation, but worry about the storm necessitated securing the chicken coop first among other weak spots. Sunny had planned to spend all day managing the project ideas and calculating the cost, but spent most of the day calming the horses down. Not that that had worried her, but she liked to keep the animals calm and collected.

 

Yoona had also called the same day, asking what her and her guest needed to bring for the Saturday gathering and if they needed more help before the storm hit, she was assured on all fronts that they were fine, and to stop fussing over Saturday, it was meant to be a party!

 

But still, three days before the gathering with their closest friends and family, Sunny felt excited and worried in equal measure, and she wasn’t entirely sure if Yuri would fit in with the rest of their circle of friends.

 

“Enough of being lazy, lets start our day shall we?” Hyoyeon stated after sitting up and looked at the tired Sunny, who was busy faking being asleep until Hyoyeon came up with an offer she couldn’t resist. “Tell you what, if you were wake up now, I’ll let you join me in the shower. You have two minutes.” Sunny jumped off the bed, suddenly wide awake, and ran to the bathroom.

 

“This back isn’t going to clean itself!” Hyoyeon smirked at Sunny’s remark and entered the bathroom, eager to live up to her part of the deal.

 

Hyoyeon hoped the giggles and squeals Sunny made wouldn’t carry too far through the thin walls.

 

 

~~~~

 

 

Hyoyeon needn’t have worried, as Sunny led her downstairs, they found Yuri in the kitchen, sweating from a morning yoga session and making herself some tea.

 

Yuri was mid-pour, as she heard her employers coming into the kitchen. A good start lead to a great day, at least that’s what Yuri believed and could tell her employers subscribed to the same spirit, if not the words.

 

“Good Morning Yuri.” Sunny greeted.

 

“Oh Good Morning to you two” Yuri smiled and took a sip of her tea and watched Hyoyeon go to the kitchen to start cooking up a hearty breakfast.

 

“What you guys want?” Hyoyeon asked tying up her apron and getting the frying pan out.

 

“Ice cream!” Sunny cried.

 

“No it’s too early Bilby” Hyoyeon stated around her yawn.

 

“ICE CREAM!!!” Sunny repeated, pounding on the table.

 

Yuri watched Hyoyeon give Sunny a glance that ceased the childish cries.

 

“Jeezz you’re cheery this morning Hyoyeon.” Sunny said to herself but Yuri snickered at the joke too.

 

“Well I’m going to cook bacon, eggs and toast. Who else wants some?” Hyoyeon put to the room, the chorus of yes’s settling it.

 

The breakfast passed fast and the mood was bright as they all bundled out the door together, pulling on gumboots and jackets, Sunny looked up at the sky and saw it was mostly clear and put the umbrella back.

 

“We need to check if the storm has destroyed anything.” Hyoyeon said, looking out over the fallen branches and puddles that covered their farm. “and what was lost or needs repair before we can really do anything when the delivery gets here. Yuri go with Sunny and check all the animals, I’ll get on my trusty steed and circle the property to check the fence line.” Sunny and Yuri nodded and they all clambered into the truck for the 30 second drive to the barn.

 

Arriving quickly, Hyoyeon lead the way inside, swinging the door open and quickly checking that the barn had suffered no major damage, the worst was a few leaks. Hyoyeon opened a stall, taking her favourite horse out, leading it to where she kept the saddles and bridles.

 

“Why are you talking a horse?” Yuri asked, watching Hyoyeon prepare it.

 

“Horses love to run after this weather, it makes them happy” Sunny said.

 

After Hyoyeon finished gearing up the horse she grabbed her notepad to document what she saw out there, she kissed Sunny and climbed on top of the horse, riding it out of the barn before hesitating.

 

“Oh and Sunny!” Hyoyeon called as the two looked up. “Keep those lips to yourself!” Hyoyeon laughed at the frown she got from them both as she rode away. ” I will be back soon” She called over her shoulder.

 

Hyoyeon headed away from the barn with the happy, almost ecstatic horse, beginning her rounds by the lake, seeing a tree that hadn't escaped the storms merciless wrath. Some nice wood will come out of that, she thought, making a note that she'd need to buy at least three more trees to replace the fallen ones.

 

Hyoyeon continued her circuit of the property, glad that so far none of the fallen branches had done too much damage to the fence line, or at least none she couldn't fix on the spot. The next stop showed a massive tree that had collapsed, far too big to remove by herself, and it'd take her and Yuri three or four hours to chop it down to small enough pieces before they could fix the fence. Hyoyeon tossed up heading back now for the woman or finishing the search, and after a few minutes decided to continue.

 

After more riding, Hyoyeon arrived at the next mini-disaster, lightning had struck one of the trees along the fence line and it looked like it had exploded, she was glad it hadn't been nearer to the house as she picked up one of the large pieces of debris, admiring the size and how far they had been flung.

 

Hyoyeon spent the next hour or so riding along, not finding any other major problems, except a few spots where the wire had come loose naturally over time, and a few fence posts that needed to be resettled. As she rode back to the barn she noticed that the hardware store's delivery truck was outside, Hyoyeon wondered what was going on.

 

 

~~~~

 

 

Yuri wandered around the inside of the barn, checking for holes, and didn't find any that bared major concern, but she couldn't tell if there were any hidden leaks now that the Sun was shining. Sunny meanwhile was trying to calm down a mare that had been near the door during the storm, she was worried as it was one of their only females they'd managed to get pregnant and Sunny was worried for the calf if she couldn't get the mare calmed down.

 

Yuri rushed over to help, holding the reins as Sunny tried to calm the beast, holding it's head steady and looking into it's eyes, the animal growing calmer as it stared into Sunny's big brown eyes, Yuri amazed at the hold Sunny had over it, and released the reins when Sunny waved her away, Yuri stepped away slowly as Sunny petted the mare, she placed a feedbag over it's head and it's head reassuringly some more.

 

Yuri checked the other horses and the rest seemed unfazed, but slightly restless.

 

"Sunny should we let these ones out for a roam too?" Yuri inquired, the mane of a pretty gray one.

 

"Not right now, isn't the hardware delivery supposed to be here today?" Sunny asked, walking over to check the horse Yuri was interacting with. “The horses sometimes don't like new faces, I'm pretty surprised they didn't make a tantrum with you here.” She smiled at the confuse Yuri.

 

"Are horses always good judges of character?" Yuri inquired, taking the offered carrot and feeding it to the content beast.

 

“Most of the time, but they usually go for pretty faces." Sunny said with a wink.

 

"Is that why you're so great with them?” Yuri replied, nudging Sunny with an elbow.

 

"Well you need to give a good example.” Sunny grinned back, and continued checking the horses on that side of the barn, Yuri walked over when she saw Sunny had entered a stall where one of the horses was hurt in the head and side.

 

“What do you think happened?” Yuri asked as Sunny knelt to comfort the animal that had lain down on the hay.

 

“Probably got spooked in the storm, tried to kick it’s way out and escape, and in it’s panic scratched itself up. None of it looks too bad.” Sunny explained, tenderly checking the animals injuries. “Go get that kit that is next to the door Yuri, some of the antibiotics from there should be all that’s required, but I’ll check back in a few hours.”

 

Yuri jogged over to the kit and dragged it all back, passing it down to Sunny who was petting the horse as it looked at her forlornly.

 

“Thanks Yuri.” Sunny said as she got the cream out and applied it. Yuri watched Sunny’s skilled hands do it’s job.

 

“Good work Sunny.” Yuri beamed.

 

“It was nothing. Let’s check the chickens.”

 

Sunny and Yuri proceeded from the barn to the chicken coop, Sunny ducking inside as Yuri surveyed their hasty defences against the storm. Yuri thought they had all held nicely, not seeing any gaping holes or easy escape routes in the outer pen like she'd feared.

 

Sunny meanwhile was inside the pen and the only really bad news there was that a young rooster had died, and a lot of eggs around the chicken’s were broken. The only other effect was, some of the hens had lost a fair few feathers from the stress of the storm, and part of the inner wire was broken, and would have to be replaced. Sunny pulled it back in tight and hoped it would hold for a while.

 

A loud honk sounded as Yuri watched a large truck pull up outside the barn, and the driver easily leapt down, the black boots splashing into the muddy puddle, he adjusted the cap on his head and rolled his long sleeve back up against the humidity that was still high.

 

He walked over to the barn and knocked loudly three times, Yuri came from the side of the chicken coop and walked up behind him, making a note of his average frame, when he turned she saw he had brown hair and green eyes, and had a younger face than she had expected.

 

“Who are you?” Yuri yelled.

 

“I’m Bryan. I drive the truck for the hardware store.” Bryan explained,smiling brightly at Yuri who returned the smile warily. “Sunny or Ms. Kim around?” Bryan stressed the Ms. and Yuri picked up immediately that this man wasn’t much of a fan of her employers being together in any capacity.

 

“Yuri, what’s the damag- Oh. Hi Bryan.” Sunny had come out of the chicken coop and stumbled upon the scene outside, Bryan immediately took his hat off and grinned at her. “What do you want?”

 

“Now Sunny,is that anyway to talk to the love of your life?” Bryan says, walking towards her with arms wide.

 

“I’ll talk to Hyoyeon how I want, she can handle it.” Sunny retorted, watching the wince flash across Bryan’s face. “Yuri help Bryan would you, I’m a bit busy with the chicken crisis.” Sunny quickly re-entered the chicken coop, avoiding the tall delivery man who watched her go.

 

“Well Yuri, where’s this load going?” Bryan questioned.

 

“Front of the house.” Bryan frowned and looked at the chicken coop, figuring he’d make a play to be invited to stay for lunch, he jumped in the cab easily and Yuri climbed in the passenger side.

 

“So been working here long?” Bryan asked as they drove towards the house.

 

“Not really.” Yuri replied. “Been doing this long?”

 

“Oh yeah, years. It’s funny y’know, I first got this job because of Sunny’s prodding, back when me and her used to be the hottest thing going.”

 

“Really!” Yuri exclaimed, suddenly interested in this boring man. “So what happened?”

 

“Dunno. Things were great.” Bryan pulled up outside the house and jumped out and walked to the mini crane controls. “But I guess some people just don’t appreciate what they have and want the newest thing.”

 

Yuri undid the ropes securing the plastic covered bundles of timber as Bryan jumped on the tray of the truck, attaching the crane hook to the timber and ushering Yuri out of the way so it could be maneuvered to the ground.

 

Bryan and Yuri worked quickly together and Yuri tried to think up a way to subtly prod for more of Sunny’s past as they unloaded the third and final bundle.

 

“Want a ride back to the barn? I should say goodbye to Sunny.” Bryan suggested and Yuri clambered into the truck.

 

“So did Hyoyeon and Sunny getting married cause a shock if she was with you beforehand?.” Yuri asked.

 

“Oh they’re not married. Not really, Hyoyeon just makes Sunny call her wife because she thinks they’re in love.” Bryan replied, Yuri immediately wrote him off as a bigot, she’d seen Sunny and Yuri’s marriage certificate hanging on the living room wall, not to mention all the photos of their wedding and vacations. “Yeah she’ll come around when she remembers what she’s been missing.” Bryan winked in emphasis and Yuri tried to hide her eye roll.

 

“Sure Bryan.” Yuri said, spacing out as they pulled up to the truck and she eagerly jumped out, wanting to be rid of his presence. She waved as she saw Hyoyeon riding up from behind the barn.

 

“Hey Yuri, sorry I took so long, lots of trees down out there, we’ve got a busy day tomorrow, hope you’re handy with a chainsaw. Do you mind going in the barn and checking we’ve got fuel. Oh, and could you check for the the other things on this list...” Hyoyeon’s smile crashed as she watched Bryan step out of the truck. “Hello Bryan.”

 

“Hi.” Bryan waved Hyoyeon off and made for the chicken coop, the last place he’d seen Sunny go, Hyoyeon rode her horse in front of him.

 

“Yeah sure Hyoyeon.” Yuri said, taking the proffered notebook and hurrying into the barn.

 

“What, no hug?” Hyoyeon began. “Trucks unloaded, maybe you should go before it rains and your truck gets stuck?”

 

Bryan looked up at the perfect blue sky.

 

“I can’t see any clouds Hyoyeon, and the weatherman didn't predict more rain.” Bryan walked around Hyoyeon’s horse, pushing it’s head out of the way.

 

“And he’s never gotten it wrong? Never trust the weatherman, BryBry.” Hyoyeon joked, and her horse sidestepped so she was back in front of him looking down at him over the horses side, blocking off his way to the chicken coop.

 

“Don’t call me that Hyoyeon.” Bryan said, shoving the horse roughly, and it’s grip was lost with the sudden force pressing against it on the muddy and slick ground, and when Hyoyeon tried to steady it Bryan pushed Hyoyeon’s foot out of the stirrup and she lost her balance, falling from the animal.

 

Yuri saw what happened from the barn and ran towards Hyoyeon giving Bryan a scathing look and helped Hyoyeon stand up.

 

“What the is wrong with you Bryan?” Yuri shouts.

 

“Nothing the horse slipped and she fell because the animal’s skittish and untamed. You need to train your animals better, I should suggest that to Sunny, now if you’ll excuse me”

 

“Don’t even try, get out” Hyoyeon stated, standing up from her muddy spot on the ground.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

Yuri took the animal’s lead and held it, ready to help Hyoyeon as she stormed up to Bryan.

 

“Get off of my property” Hyoyeon yelled at Bryan, anger fuming out her eyes.

 

“This ain’t your property, just because you share her bed don’t make it that way, you ” Bryan spat.

 

“Oh but I share that and so much more. More than you ever did or ever will.” Hyoyeon said provoking him further. “Let me put it this way you homophobic moron. She is MY wife and I’m HER wife. What’s mine is hers and what’s hers is mine. That means at the end of the day this property is mine too, GET OUT befor-” Her patience was running out as Bryan stared down at her.

 

“What? You going to hit me?” He caustically spat.

 

“Don’t tempt me, BryBry.” Hyoyeon stepped closer to him, staring him down “I’d be your worst nightmare” She pointed at the exit of the farm. “I’ll let this one slide, but do it again and you’ll lose everything, did you hear me you stubborn idiot!” She shouted.

 

Sunny heard the yells and ran outside to see what was the commotion. Hyoyeon expression was unreadable and quite alarming, and Bryan was extremely close to Hyoyeon and had a malicious smile that she recognized immediately.

 

“Quit fighting you hormonal idiots!” Sunny yelled, closing the chicken coop behind her. “Bryan, maybe you should go before Hyoyeon loses her temper.”

 

“OK Sunny.” Bryan says, looking back down at Hyoyeon. “Once again Sunny saves you, she’s not always gonna be around Hyoyeon.” He whispered, watching Hyoyeon’s glare tighten, he shoved her with his shoulder as he walked back to the truck and climbed in.

 

“Stupid ing farm..” Bryan mumbled as he started the truck up and rumbled away.

 

“What was all that about?” Yuri asked curiously, patting the nervous horse.

 

“Forget it Yuri. I’m going for another ride, help Sunny for the rest of the day.” Hyoyeon climbed on the held horse easily, taking several deep breaths as the scowl remained. “I’ll be back later.”

 

“Hyoyeon, stop!” Sunny sorrowfully called but was ignored by an unreadable Hyoyeon who rode the horse off gloomily.

 

“Ummm, are you alright?” Yuri asked, holding the notepad Hyoyeon gave her.

 

“I’m OK. It’s just ancient history rearing it’s ugly head, that’s what that was all this is about.” Sunny said, walking towards the barn sullenly. Sunny took the notepad and started going over it’s contents. ”Lets go check what we still need so we can get it while Hyoyeon has a nice relaxing horse ride.”

 

“Sure Sunny.” Yuri replied, watching Hyoyeon ride off and wondering what other old wounds would be uncovered before she followed Sunny into the barn.

 

 

~~

 

 

Sunny pulled up at the hardware store in Hyoyeon’s truck. Yuri riding shotgun and hating the awkward atmosphere.

 

“Good afternoon Henry!”

 

“Oh my, what a treat! Sunshine has came to visit me in this dark store! And Yuri too!” Henry shared a warm smile with the two women as they walked in.

 

“You and your cheesy lines Henry, How are you? I missed you” She winked at the old man, giving him the list she had compiled of what was needed from Hyoyeon’s list in the notebook.

 

“You say that, and yet I so rarely see you. What brings you this time, I doubt it’s to inquire about my health.” Henry smiled, even though he saw the tinge of sadness in Sunny’s expression.

 

“What, I can’t pay a social call? Just because I also happen to want what you sell.” Sunny retorted. “Also some materials were missing after Bryan’s delivery today. Probably left on the truck? Him and Hyoyeon got into it again.”

 

“That idiot. You made me hire him Sunny, remember?” Henry stated with a quick grimace, but smiled again at the shrugging woman.

 

“Well you were the one that hired him.” Sunny grinned. “Anyway, if you could check if that stuff is still on the back of the truck? So just stick it with the next delivery if it’s there. We also need some more chicken wire to repair the chicken coop, and we need more fence railings. Stupid falling trees.”

 

“Well at least that’s all you had damaged from the storm. The Park’s had a tree fall on their bedroom.”

 

“That’s crazy!” Yuri said in shock. “Are they OK?”

 

“Yeah, they’re fine. They were looking to put in a skylight anyway.” Henry winked at Yuri who laughed at the poorly timed joke.

 

“Well they’re getting all the natural light they could want now.” Sunny fired back.

 

“Ah we were meant to get a chainsaw!” Yuri remembered suddenly.

 

“Oh yeah. Go grab it while I try and not get extorted by my favourite uncy henwy” Sunny’s sudden cuteness attack surprised Yuri who recoiled in pain and hurried off to find a chainsaw to defend herself with.

 

“Bye Henry!” Yuri said as she walked out to the truck with her new chainsaw, throwing it in the back.

 

“Thank you Uncle Henry” Sunny kissed him on the cheek and left the store.

 

“Oh don’t mention it Sunny. Try not to come in so often if you’re just going to rob me again huh?” Henry replied with a fake hurt tone as Sunny walked to the truck, waving.

 

“Can we stop at the the post office? I meant to send a postcard to someone and forgot” Yuri asked Sunny as the other woman jumped in.

 

“Of course.” Sunny replied brightly, starting the truck and pulling away, beeping her goodbye.

 

Yuri and Sunny jumped out of the truck and entered the post office. Sunny grabbed the paper as Yuri picked out a postcard and began to write.

 

“Hey princess,

I’m safe and sound,

This place is beautiful.

You would like it.

Are you well?

I Miss you.

Only yours“

 

Yuri’s pen wavered over the postcard, wanting to write more but nothing else would come. The postcard was full of hopeful and hopeless wishes. Sunny noticed the sadness Yuri had implanted in her eyes, but chose not to say something, not knowing how broach the subject.

 

“Hey we should go to the candy store and buy some treats for Hyoyeon, and ourselves of course, and tonight, I’m thinking we eat from Yoona’s restaurant!” Sunny stated cheerily when they got back to the car, deciding that a sugar hit and delicious food would fix Yuri’s dark mood.

 

“Oh Yoona’s food is so good, but I like Hyoyeon’s more.” Yuri replied, shaking off her doldrums, following Sunny down the street.

 

“Are you trying to be on my good side or Hyoyeon’s?” Sunny said. “Hyoyeon is mine Yuri, don’t forget.” She stuck her tongue out teasing the poor girl.

 

“You aren’t the only one who likes strong independent women who can cook, sew and build a fence Ms. Lee.” Yuri retaliated, winking at Sunny.

 

“I’m watching you Kwon!” She playfully glared back at Yuri and they shared a laugh, Sunny looked at Yuri for a moment longer noting that Yuri might be into Hyoyeon and wondered if this bared mentioning to her wife?

 

Sunny lead Yuri inside of the candy store and Yuri’s eyes pop out amaze of the variety of the shop, from the beginning the different sugar candy to the middle the sours ones, and to the almost end the chocolate ones. She was drooling at her favorite candy, is been some time since Hyoyeon had let her eat some of those.

 

“Hyoyeon loves chocolate too” Sunny came from behind Yuri and looked over her shoulder at the display of all the many chocolate bars.

 

“So many options” Yuri said, trying to pick just one.

 

“You can take more than one Yuri, it’s my treat but don't make me set a limit for you too. Jeez another mini Hyoyeon.”

 

“No need for that with two or three of these big ones I’ll be set.” Yuri joked. “I used to love chocolate with mint on the inside when I was little. But Jessica always liked dark chocolate with peanut butter, so I got a taste for that after a while...” Sunny noticed the return of the sad tone to Yuri’s voice.

 

“I’ve always liked my sweets as something I could on, but Hyoyeon always decided whenever we’d come here. Which meant lots of taffy.” Sunny said taking some of the chocolate covered peanut butter bars, sweet and sour jelly worms, and a few blocks of chocolate and put them in the basket. They walked the shop a few more times taking few more little things.

 

“I see you can't come stop at one either, lets pay before you take the whole store back for Hyoyeon.” Yuri joked at Sunny who suddenly took on a hurt looking expression.

 

“Just because you’re sweet enough Kwon Yuri!” Sunny replied. Yuri froze at the unexpected compliment, watching Sunny begin to pay for their confectionery. “What? Come on already Yuri.”

 

Sunny lead them back to Yoona’s restaurant, stopping at the car to unload their haul then she and Yuri walked up and entered the bustling place.

 
 
-------------------------------------------------
We hoped you Enjoy it.
Sorry it took long me and Bazz were just figuring things out,
So yea we were writing the next chap, besides WE are BACKKKKKK.
I'm too happy for that.
Questions? Happy to answer it.
Kik and Baz out.
^,^.

--------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------