Of breaking down

It isn't easy, but it's the easiest thing to do

Ryeowook watched as Yoona walked off with Taecyeon following suit. He then looked at Sooyoung whom was wearing an annoyed expression. «Aren’t you going to stand up for your friend?»

 

Sooyoung snapped out of her deep thoughts and looked over at Ryeowook. «Who?»

 

«Jessica.»

 

Sooyoung raised an eyebrow and eyed Ryeowook up and down. «What about her?»

 

Ryeowook creased his eyebrows, looking worried. «Her supposed ex-boyfriend called her a bad name and now she’s not in school. You don’t feel like standing up for her?»

 

Sooyoung shrugged and looked away. «She can defend herself. She’s old enough. Besides, I don’t want to get involved.»

 

«You don’t have to get involved, but I think that you should at least show that you care by checking on Jessica.» Ryeowook said before continuing to eat. 

 

Sooyoung quickly turned her head to face Ryeowook. She gave that strained smile while blinking her eyes. «Look, I’m not going to check on her. Do you want to know why? Because this is right here is like in the jungle; you either eat or you get eaten. I have a reputation to take care of. Jessica made a mistake by upsetting Donghae and she deserves to suffer for it.» She said before looking away again. «Keep rubbing my back now!» 

 

Ryeowook frowned and scooted away from Sooyoung. «Sooyoung, you are not a nice person.» He said, and that earned him a shocked look from Sooyoung. The latter was looking around quickly to make sure no one was watching or hearing. Before she could speak, Ryeowook continued. «You are so selfish and prideful. You have no regard for those you see as lower than yourself. You care more about your reputation than you do your friends. What you fail to realize is that your reputation is vain. One day you’re going to die and you will no longer be able to brush up and polish your precious reputation.»

 

«Ryeowook, have you lost your mind?!» Sooyoung hissed in a quiet voice. She tried to force a laugh, but she couldn't. «Let’s not say silly things in public, okay?» She was trying hard to keep her eyes focused on Ryeowook’s because she was so afraid that other people were listening in, when the truth was that only Yuri and Yesung were listening discretely. 

 

«Sooyoung, I can see it in your eyes. You are full of insecurities. That’s why you’re always tearing other people down in order to make yourself look better.» Ryeowook said. This whole time he had not cut eye contact with Sooyoung. He didn’t know where the confidence was coming from, but he couldn’t stop himself from being upfront.

 

Sooyoung was speechless. She stared at Ryeowook with wide eyes. What the latter did not see was the Sooyoung’s hands were trembling. «Ryewook, let’s take this outside.» She stood up, trying hard to remain composed, and walked out of the cafeteria. Ryeowook looked at Yesung and Yuri. Yuri’s lips formed a thin line and her eyes were wide. Yesung, on the other hand, looked calm and only shrugged before nodding towards Sooyoung to signal Ryeowook to go after her. Ryeowook got up slowly and followed after Sooyoung. 

 

Sooyoung walked all the way out of the school building, around a corner and found herself a bench to sit down at. She sat on her hands because they were trembling. She looked down at her lap as she waited for Ryeowook. The latter came outside and sat down next to her. 

 

Sooyoung looked Ryeowook dead in the eyes. «Who do you think you are?» She said shakily through gritted teeth. 

 

Ryeowook blinked. «I know exactly who I am. Do you know who you are?»

 

Sooyoung rolled her eyes and looked the other way. «No one confronts me ever. No. One.» 

 

Ryeowook shrugged. «You have too much pride in you. Confrontation can be good. It helps you to reflect on yourself.» 

 

Sooyoung looked back at Ryeowook. She creased her eyebrows as if what Ryeowook just said had confused her. «How can you talk to me like that?»

 

«Look, you wanted us to date and I agreed. But in every relationship every member has to make an effort to make the relationship work and grow. Relationships require sacrifice from both parties. What is this relationship if I cannot be honest with you?» Maybe it was because no one had ever stood up for Ryeowook before that he felt so strongly about Sooyoung’s behavior that he did not hold back. Though he did not know Jessica, he knew that she was a human being who deserved to be treated well at least by her friends. 

 

Sooyoung stared at Ryeowook in pure shock. «No one in this world cares about honesty! The truth will only get you so far, but when you decorate the truth with pretty lies everyone listens!» 

 

Ryeowook shook his head. «Maybe in your head. Look, the whole world does not think like you. There are people out there who form genuine friendships and relationships based on honesty and those relationships last a lifetime.» He then leaned closer. «If no one cares to tell the truth, who do you trust?»

 

Sooyoung raised her head proudly. «Myself and no one else.» 

 

Ryeowook looked away as he nodded and then shrugged. «Well, that sounds awfully sad. Since you don’t trust me I think I should take my leave now.» He said as he stood up. «Take care, and I hope you never have to go through the things that you’ve put others through. Honestly.» He said the last word and winked at Sooyoung before walking off. 

 

Sooyoung was left sitting on the bench alone and still in much shock. She sniffled a bit before wiping away the one tear that had managed to escape her eye. She dug her hands through her hair and looked up at the sky. «How did I end up here?» She whispered. 

-

 

After school had ended Ryeowook was on duty as usual. By the time he was done and checking through an empty classroom he spotted a familiar bag. He smiled to himself as he picked the bag up before heading out of the school. 

~~

 

 

Ryeowook’s POV 

 

«What are you doing here?» Yoona said with a smile as I bumped into her on my way out of her house. 

 

I smiled back and scratched my neck. «I spotted your backpack in an empty classroom and I figured that you forgot it.» I whispered before stepping aside so that Yoona could enter.

 

«Did you cover for me?» She asked without breaking eye contact with me. I nodded and winked at her in response.

 

«Yoona-yah, is that you?» Her mom walked down the hallway from the kitchen while drying a plate with a cloth. «Ryeowook, informed me of your extracurricular activities to improve your grades.» She said as she stood herself in front of Yoona. 

 

«Y-yes, umma. I find it very helpful.» Yoona bowed at her mom. 

 

«I believe what Ryeong here is saying, but I will believe that it helps you once I see the results myself.» She said and gave Yoona a look that said your grades better improve!

 

I chuckled quietly to myself as her mom walked back into the kitchen. Yoona give me a playful slap on the chest before wrapping her arms around my neck and hugging me tightly. I returned the hug. «Thank you so much, Ryeowook.» She whispered. 

 

«It was nothing.» I smiled to myself. «How’s Jessica?» I asked as pulled away. 

 

Yoona sighed. «I’ll tell you everything. Let’s talk upstairs.» 

-

 

«Wow…» I shook my head in disbelief. «Some people are so cruel and heartless.» Yoona and I were lying down on her bed, both of us facing the ceiling. 

 

«Yes. My heart still aches for Jessica unnie. She didn’t deserve what he did to her.» Yoona said. «Actually, he did not deserve her. She’s such a loving person and he just took advantage of her.»

 

«Some people are just not meant to be together.» I said as I thought about it. «I think that sometimes we as human beings just crave to be loved so much that we accept any kind of affection no matter the shape or form it comes in.» 

 

«Mhm. I can attest to that.» Yoona muttered. I looked over at her and she looked back at me. She then looked back up at the ceiling. «I think that’s why I settled for Taecyeon even though we were so different. He made me feel like a woman… he made me feel beautiful and loved.» 

 

I sighed as I looked back up at the ceiling. «Do you miss him?» After a short moment of silence I could feel Yoona looking at me. When I turned to look at her she was making a disgusted expression. 

 

«Not. At. All.» She said. «Ryeong, when I tell you I cannot stand being around that person, I mean it with every fiber of my being. He is a horrible person and being around him is unbearable.» From her tone of voice and her expression I could tell that she was dead serious.

 

«But… you’re with him pretty much everyday. I actually thought you two were at the verge of reconciling.» 

 

Yoona’s eyes widened and she sat up quickly. «You thought what?!» 

 

I sat up and shrugged before making eye contact with her again. «I honestly thought that you were getting back together.» 

 

Yoona was searching my eyes. «How could you think that? I can’t stand being around him.» 

 

«Well, you’re always sitting next to him, he follows you around wherever you go, and… I mean, I saw the way you dressed up for him at Yesung’s performance.» Why am I feeling so uncomfortable? 

 

Yoona closed her eyes and bowed her head as if in defeat. «Ryeowook, he’s the one who sits next to me. I always tell him to leave me alone, but he doesn’t listen. He’s so clingy for some reason I don’t know. And I wasn’t dressing up for him…» She mumbled. She seemed sad. I moved her hair to behind her ear to see her face. When she looked me in the eyes again I could tell she was upset.

 

«Uh…» I sighed. «Let’s not talk more about him, alright?» I smiled at her. I quickly came up with something else to talk about. «When I came with your bag this afternoon your mom was so happy to see me that she served me two plates of black bean noodles!» 

 

Yoona chuckled lightly. «She’s always loved you.» She scooted closer to me. «…and so have I.» She then took my hand in hers, entwining out fingers. She looked at me with a shy smile.

 

I squeezed her hand reassuringly before leaning my forehead against hers. «I love you too, Yoong.» The way her smile broadened made my heart leap and I couldn’t help, but smile back at her. «You’re my best friend.» 

 

Yoona straightened herself and looked away. She wasn’t smiling anymore. 

 

«Yoong, what’s wrong?» I tried to make eye contact with her but her eyes were fixed downwards.

 

She looked up at the ceiling for a moment and then she closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She looked back at me and said, «Ryeowook, do you… do you think we’ll ever be more than just friends?» 

 

I flinched and panicked. What do I say now?! Of course, it would be a dream come true to be more than friends with Yoona, but if the feelings are only one-sided, what’s the point?I tried to compose myself, though my heart was racing and my throat was feeling dry. «No.» 

 

«Why?» She whispered. I could see that her eyes were watery. She looked hurt.

 

I shrugged weakly. «I… I couldn’t do that to you… to your reputation. I mean, I’m a nobody. If you and I were to.. to date, people would talk. I know that you popular people depend on your reputation and I don’t want to destroy that for you.» I muttered.

 

«What if I told you that I don’t care about my reputation anymore. Would you date me?» She asked while searching my eyes. 

 

Again I was taken aback. I nodded without breaking I contact. «If you’d accept me, I would.» 

 

«I don’t care about my reputation anymore.» 

 

I was speechless. I didn’t know what to say. All I could do was stare at Yoona in shock.Was this a signal? Was I supposed to ask her if she wanted to be my girlfriend now? «M-my heart is beating really fast right now.» I blurted out. Why did I say that?! Yoona giggled and I could feel my cheeks getting hot. «I don’t know what to say… I-I’ve been in love with you for so long.» I shook my head and smiled to myself. «I just never thought that you would ever feel the same way. I-»

 

I was interrupted my Yoona cupping my face and pressing her lips against mine. My eyes widened in shock and I just stared at her. Then my eyes slowly fluttered closed, imitating hers. I could swear that I was dreaming in that moment. It felt like fireworks were going off inside me and I was floating on cloud nine. 

 

End of Ryeowook’s POV

 

Yoona pulled away slowly and looked at Ryeowook. The young man in front of her still had his eyes closed and was smiling to himself. «Wook-ah,» She giggled, making Ryeowook open his eyes.

 

«Sorry,» He said shyly and looked down while scratching his nape. «I was trying to savor the moment.» 

 

Yoona laughed lightheartedly. «Really?»

 

«Yeah.» Ryeowook fumbled with the blanket beneath him. «It’s my first kiss after all.»  

 

There was something very soothing about Ryeowook’s statement and it made Yoona’s heart flutter. She didn’t waste any time before leaning back in for another kiss. This time she wrapped her arms around Ryeowook’s neck. Ryeowook hesitantly wrapped his arms around Yoona’s waste and pulled her closer. After a long while Yoona pulled away again. She leaned her forehead against Ryeowook’s and smiled at him. «I love you.» She said while nuzzling her nose against Ryeowook’s. 

 

Ryeowook smiled back. «I love you more.»  

 

«You better.» Yoona said as she played with the hairs on his neck. «Wookie, you’re my boyfriend now.» She smirked in an attempt to look evil. 

 

Ryeowook laughed wholeheartedly at Yoona. «You’re right, my queen. Ah, I’ve never felt this happy!» He smiled contently, and Yoona kissed him again. When their kiss broke again Ryeowook let out a content sigh before straightening himself. «We should probably study a little now, since your mom now thinks you’re doing extracurricular activities.»

 

Yoona pouted which made Ryeowook laugh. «Ugh… I’d rather cuddle. Why couldn’t you have said that I was helping elderly people cross the streets or something?» She said as she reluctantly moved away from Ryeowook and off her bed. She took some books out of her bag and sat down at her desk.

 

Ryeowook got off the bed too to get his school bag. «Because I’m smarter than you.» He said as he picked up his bag and moved towards Yoona’s desk to sit with her. He earned a punch in the arm for his comment and he chuckled wholeheartedly. 

 

The two studied for hours with short breaks in between. It was getting late and both of them were getting sleepy. 

 

Yoona stretched herself while yawning. «We’ve done a lot. I think we should call it a night.» She looked over at Ryeowook, who nodded in response.

 

«I agree.» He closed his books and placed them in his bag and closed it. He then got up and stretched his arms out while looking down at Yoona. «Do I get a goodnight hug?» 

 

Yoona got up without hesitation and hugged Ryeowook tightly. «I hope you know that you’re staying the night.» She mumbled with her head still leaning on Ryeowook’s chest. 

 

Ryewook chuckled. «Do you mean that? I didn’t bring any nightwear or clothes to change into tomorrow for school.» 

 

Yoona looked up at him. «You can borrow something from me. I still have your clothes from last time I slept over.» She smiled. «You seriously can’t leave me now. You just became my boyfriend.» 

 

Ryeowook couldn’t resist. «Alright. I’ll stay.» He grinned.

 

The couple walked into the bathroom together where they brushed their teeth together. Yoona lent Ryeowook an oversized t-shirt and some pajama pants. They were almost the same size in clothing. Ryeowook changed in Yoona’s room, while Yoona changed in the bathroom. After that, they both fell asleep in each other’s arms in Yoona’s bed. 

~~

 

 

That same night in the city there were two people sitting together at a bar and having a glass of beer each. It was Sooyoung and Taecyeon. Though they had just received their drinks, Sooyoung had almost finished her glass.

 

«Calm down! Calm down!» Taecyeon patted her shoulder lightly. «Why are you drinking so fast?»

 

«I’m thirsty! What’s your problem?!» Sooyoung snapped and pushed the empty glass away from her. 

 

«My brother told me that people who are hurting drink like that.» Taecyeon said without looking at Sooyoung.

 

«Drink like what?» The latter snapped again.

 

«Like you.» 

 

Sooyoung said nothing as she thought for a moment. She then patted the table. «Get me another glass, please!» She said to the waiter. She then turned to face Taecyeon. «I am not hurting, if that’s what you’re implying. It’s just been so long since I had a good drink.» She shrugged casually.

 

Taecyeon raised an eyebrow at her and looked her up and down. «If you say so.» He said before picking up his glass again. «Just don’t get sloppy drunk and the expect me to drive you home.»

 

«Thanks.» Sooyoung flashed a smile to the waiter who refilled her glass. She turned to face Taecyeon while taking a sip of her glass. «So, how are you and Yoona?»

 

Taecyeon sighed while looking ahead at the many different bottles and brands of alcohol. «There’s no point in trying anymore. She clearly hates me. Being dumped is one thing, but now I’m allowing myself to be rejected by my ex over and over again. I think it’s time for me to throw in the towel.» He took a large gulp of beer.

 

«Why do you say that?»

 

«Everytime I try to get close to her she pushes me away. I don’t know if there’s someone else she likes, but she definitely does not like me.» Taecyeon shook his head in defeat. 

 

Sooyoung scooted closer in her chair. «Well, then maybe it’s time for you to finally move on.» She said suggestively. 

 

Taecyeon did not notice. He closed his eyes as he sighed. «I know I should… but how will I ever find anyone like her?» He said and rubbed his temples with his hands. 

 

Sooyoung took another quick gulp of beer before waving her fingers at the man next to her. «Hello!» She sang and giggled lightly when Taecyeon turned to look at her. «What about me? I guarantee you I’ll treat you much better than Yoona did, and I’ll definitely look better with you than she did.» She said and grinned.

 

Taecyeon frowned and shook his head. «No. I don’t think that’ll work.» 

 

Sooyoung placed her hand on her hip. «And why not? I’m much prettier than her, I do my makeup better than she does hers, I dress better, I’m a much better talker-»

 

«The difference between you and Yoona is that Yoona’s beauty is just as great on the inside as on the outside. She has such a big heart and she cares so much. She’s not like any girl I’ve ever encountered before. I definitely took her for granted.» Taecyeon leaned his arm on the bar next to him while looking around slowly. Suddenly he could hear muffled noised sounding like the barking of a puppy. He turned to face Sooyoung only to see her sobbing uncontrollably. Tears were running down her eyes and her body was shaking from the crying. 

 

«Uh… Sooyoung, are you okay?» Taecyeon asked awkwardly. 

 

«No, I’m not!» Sooyoung yelled. A few groups of people had noticed the crying girl and were now looking over at the young couple.

 

Taecyeon tried hard to maintain his cool, knowing that the people were watching. «S-Sooyoung, please calm down. I think you’ve had enough to drink. Let’s just-»

 

«NO!» Sooyoung wailed. «You called me ugly!»

 

«What? No, I didn’t Taecyeon hissed through gritted teeth. Her behavior was embarrassing to him and he could feel his anger rising. 

 

«Yes, you did! And you called me a bad person! Howcome nobody likes me?» Sooyoung continued her uncontrollable sobbing. At this point some of the people who were watching were now glaring at Taecyeon. 

 

Taecyeon forced a smile and bowed apologetically at those who were older than him before snapping his head back at Sooyoung in pure rage. He quickly got up and hugged her tightly to muffle her crying and to also look like a responsible ‘boyfriend’. «Sooyoung, please calm down. Stop making a scene. Let’s just go home now.» He said, trying hard to sound composed, while patting her back. 

 

Sooyoung said some things in between her sobbing, but her words were muffled by Taecyeons chest. Eventually she calmed down a bit. She was still crying, but she was no longer wailing. Taecyeon took the opportunity to leave. He paid the bartender and bowed apologetically to him too. After that, he held onto Sooyoung by her waist and led her out of the bar. He muttered «sorry» and bowed rigidly at the people who were still glaring at him. He made sure to help Sooyoung get into the car on the passenger’s seat before getting in on the driver’s seat himself. He leaned back in his chair and took a deep breath. «Sooyoung, what the hell is wrong with you?»

 

 

Sooyoung didn’t answer. Tears were still running from her eyes and down her cheeks.

 

«I know you can hear me. Look, if we are going to stay friends you need to learn to control your emotions. I mean, what the hell was that in there?! You drew the attention of the whole barn to us and made it seem like I had hurt you! As if losing Yoona wasn’t bad enough. Now you want to embarrass me in public. Talk about selfishness.» Taecyeon said as he the engine of his car and began reversing out of the parking lot.

 

Sooyoung felt a sharp sting in her chest. She let more tears flow and sniffled. She wiped her tears away with her palm before trying to compose herself again. She looked over at Taecyeon. «Yoona broke your heart, right?» 

 

Taecyeon glanced over at her quickly and frowned. «What does that have to do with anything?»

 

«Just answer the question.» Sooyoung muttered tiredly. 

 

Taecyeon sighed. «I guess she did. Yes.»

 

«Wouldn’t you want to hurt her back?» 

 

Taecyeon shook his head immediately. «No.»

 

«Are you sure?» 

 

«Yes.» 

 

«Ok.» Sooyoung shrugged. «Because I know how. And it will definitely get her back to you.» 

 

Taecyeon parked and turned off the engine. They had reached Sooyoung’s house. He looked over at her with wide, searching eyes. «Do you mean that?»

 

Sooyoung smirked and nodded. «Pain is always a good eyeopener.»