II. Of fake relationships

It isn't easy, but it's the easiest thing to do

 

Ryeowook’s POV

 

When I felt my blanket being pulled up I thought Yoona was planning on taking my blanket so I wouldn’t sleep, but instead she crawled under the blanket, next to me. I felt my body tense a bit as she wrapped her arm around my waist and cuddled closer to me. I sighed quietly as I relaxed. Just like old times. I closed my eyes and hoped that I would fall asleep soon. Just as I thought Yoona was asleep I heard her giggle softly.

 

“What?” I mumbled sleepily.

 

“It’s nothing.” Yoona mumbled into my nape. 

 

“You’re so weird! You just randomly laugh at nothing?” I chuckled.

 

“Yah! You’re so mean!” She said and hit my arm playfully before snuggling close to me again. “Besides, I was thinking about how this is kind of like old times.” She muttered.

 

“Really?” I gasped and felt a smile creep up my lips. “I was thinking the exact same thing!” I chirped and turned to face her. My eyes widened when I saw how close we were to each other.

 

Yoona looked a bit surprised as well. She looked away and scooted closer to me. “I don’t want to fall out.” She muttered and gave a coy smile.

 

“Oh, right.” I wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her closer to me. She hugged me back and rested her head by my chest. “Are you still afraid of the dark?”

 

Yoona shrugged. “I’m not sure...” 

 

“How can you not be sure?” I chuckled.

 

“Well... I stopped using my night lamp about the same time I stopped sleeping alone.” She muttered.

 

My jaw dropped. “Oh...” So, she... I slowly started to remove my arm from around her waist.

 

Yoona shifted in my hold. “Wait! Ryeowook, I didn’t mean it like that!” She moved away a bit to face me, then she cupped my cheeks and looked into my eyes. “Please don’t misunderstand! I’m not like that.” She said pleadingly.

 

Then what are you like? I didn’t respond, I just kept searching her eyes.

 

She then hugged my waist again and hid her face in the crook of my neck. “I’m not like that. I am like I was when we were younger. I have always been chaste.” She mumbled against my neck. I hugged her back without saying anything. 

 

“Wook-ah, are you afraid of the dark?” She asked after awhile. 

 

“No.” I said. “I realized that some day I had to face the reality; the darkness cannot physically harm me, only people and their actions can.” 

 

 

~The next morning~

 

 

*Beep! Beep! Beep!*

 

“Mm...” I groaned as I tried to stretch myself a bit. I felt Yoona hug me tighter as she scooted closer to me. Such a heavy sleeper! I smiled to myself before stretching my arm towards my alarm clock to turn it off. I then laid back down and shook Yoona’s body slightly. “Yoona-yah, you need to wake up.” I said softly.

 

She buried her head in my chest and shook her head softly. “No.” She mumbled.

 

“But we have school today and you need to change.” 

 

“I’ll just shower and borrow some of your clothes.” She mumbled stubbornly.

 

“No, you can’t do that, my clothes are too big for you.”

 

“Doesn’t matter.”

 

I sighed. “Yoona, you’re forcing me to use desperate measures.” I threatened.

 

“What, you’re gonna carry me out of bed bridal style?” She asked and chuckled softly.

 

“Nope.” I said and I could have sworn I saw her pout. “If you don’t get up now, you won’t get to eat breakfast with us.” 

 

Yoona immediately sat up and stared down at me with wide eyes. “Wh-what do you mean?” She said in the cutest voice while pouting. 

 

“Well, if you don’t get up we won’t have time to eat.” I said and smirked. Yoona jumped out of bed and ran over to one of my drawers before she started ransacking through the drawers. 

 

“Yah! What do you think you’re doing?!” I yelled as I got up as well.

 

“I’m just borrowing some clothes.” She said and faced me with an angelic smiled before digging through my drawers again.  “Ah! I love this shirt and this one! Ooh, and these pants are nice!” She chirped as she found herself an outfit.

 

“You are unbelievable.” I muttered as I shook my head at her while crossing my arms.

 

“Mehrong~!” She stuck her tongue out at me before heading for my door. “I’m gonna take a shower, so don’t disturb!” 

 

“Aish, but I need to freshen up!” I said as I followed her.

 

“Too bad~” She sang as she ran to the bathroom and closed the door.

 

 

~After breakfast~

 

Yoona’s POV

 

“Thank you for letting me stay the night, umma!” I said as I hugged Ryeowook’s mother.

 

“Oh, you are very welcome! I hope you will come back soon.” She said and clasped her hands together. “Are you sure you don’t want me to drive you? If you are not in a rush I can drive both you and Ryeowook to school.” She offered sweetly.

 

I waved my hand as a decline. “No, no... there is no need, but thank you so much anyway!” I grinned at her.

 

“I guess I’ll see you at school, Yoong.” Ryeowook muttered and gave a shy smile as he waved at me.

 

“Have I thought you no manners?” Umma snapped and pushed Ryeowook towards me. “Give her a hug!” 

 

I giggled and wrapped my arms around Ryeowook’s neck happily, and he wrapped his arms around my waist. “I’ll see you at school, Wook-ah.” I whispered in his ear.

 

“Yeah...” He chuckled as he broke the hug. I smiled at him. “Um... when will I get my clothes back?” He asked and raised an eyebrow as he looked me up and down.

 

I shrugged. “Later.” I said before backing away slowly before walking home.

 

Once I got to my house I opened the front door quietly so no one would hear me. I stepped out of my shoes and tiptoed up the stars quickly and quietly. I dumped my clothes from the other day in the laundry basket and ran to my room to change quickly. Once I got into my room I realized that I hadn’t been in here since I broke up with Taecyeon, which was yesterday. The room was the way I left it; not messy, but filled with both pictures of me and Taec, and things that he had given me; memories. “No. Freaking. Way.” I said through gritted teeth.

 

I ran out of my room and tiptoed downstairs. I glanced over at the kitchen and I could see my mom’s back. Awesome! I snuck into the big pantry and got one of the empty boxes before sneaking back upstairs. Once I was back in my room I started taking down all the pictures of me and Taecyeon from the pin-board and dumped them in the box. Everything with Taecyeon’s image on it or the memory of him was dumped into the box. When I finally felt done with my rumaging I found myself sitting and panting on the floor of my room. “Phew!” I huffed. 

 

Hm, what time is it? I looked over at the clock on the wall. “Aw, dammit!” I stomped my foot as I saw that I would be late for school. Hurriedly I found myself something nice to wear. I made sure to fold Ryeowook’s clothes neatly and placed them on my bed so I would remember to give them back later. Then I rushed to the bathroom to get my make-up done. I looked in the mirror once I was all done, but I felt like crap. I didn’t feel like going to school at all. I just had this strong feeling that something bad was going to happen today. Aish! I should have convinced Ryeowook to skip school with me, then we could hang out at his place all day! I sighed. That would have been nice...

 

I puffed my cheeks in surrender as I went to fetch my schoolbag. I walked down the stairs lazily and went to put on my shoes. Just as I my hand reached for the doorknob, a loud voice echoed through the hallways. 

 

“IM YOONA, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!” My mother. She’s so lovely.

 

I straightened myself, pursed my lips into a line before taking a deep breath and turning around to face my monster mother. “I was just in the bathroom getting ready for school,” I then looked at my imaginary wristwatch. “Which I am late for so I should go. Bye!” I waved and was just about to turn around.

 

“Not so fast!” She yelled. My mom narrowed her eyes as she walked towards me. “Are you trying to tell me that you were in your bathroom all night?”

 

“No.” I said and shook my head once.

 

“Then tell me precisely where you were last night.”

 

I sighed. Whatever, it’s better to tell the truth. My mom hated it when I was out with my ‘bad’ friends or my boyfriend, whereas Ryeowook’s family was fine since our families have been good friends for decades. “I was at Ryeong’s place.”

 

“Don’t you dare lie to me, missy!” She snapped and pointed her index finger at me.

 

“I’m not lying! If you don’t believe me you can call Ryeowook’s house and ask!” I yelled back.

 

“Do not raise your voice at me!” She shouted back. “Stay here while I call Kim Cholee!” She said before turning around and walking towards the kitchen.

 

“As if.” I muttered before leaving out the door. I jogged until I was out of out neighborhood -and out of my mother’s grasp- before I started walking slowly, catching my breath. “Stupid mom.” I mumbled as I kicked a rock. “Stupid school.” I kicked the rock further. “Stupid Taecyeon.” 

 

I was inside the school building when the second period was finished and students started flocking the hallways. I bowed my head as I passed several people. How I wish I was invisible.
 

“Yoona!” Honestly...

 

I felt my arm get dragged backwards and I turned around to see Sooyoung, Yuri, Taecyeon, Jessica, Donghae and Siwon.

 

“Hi, guys.” I said as casually as I could.

 

“Why the long mask?” Yuri asked and smiled at me. Well, my mom just yelled at me, I would love to stay home with my best friend instead of being here with you people, I feel like crap, my ex-boyfriend is in my presence, but other than that I’m fine. 

 

“It’s nothing.” I said and forced a smile at Yuri. 

 


 

“Alright then!” She chirped. “We have planned out something awesome! Come with us to the student council room!” She grabbed my hand and we all walked towards the student council room.

 

Though non of us, except Siwon, were part of the student council, we still had the given authority to use the room. We all took our seats after entering the room, there were already a few other people there. I automatically sat down next to Yuri since she had dragged me with her, and Taecyeon decided to sit next to me.

 

“We need to talk.” I heard Taecyeon whisper as he leaned closer to me.

 

“No, we don’t.” I hissed in a whisper without really looking at him.

 

“Alright, ATTENTION!” Sooyoung yelled. “We have decided to play a little prank.” She started as she folded her hands together. “Since we don’t really pay attention to the nobodies, we thought we should get to know at least some!” 

 

“What? Why?” Jessica said as she lazily drew her attention from Donghae to Sooyoung.

 

“Because, we’ll break their hearts.” Sooyoung sneered. I groaned quietly as I let my head fall back at the edge of the chair. 

 

“It’s stupid, isn’t it?” Taecyeon whispered.

 

I straightened myself and moved a bit away from him. “Don’t talk to me.” I whispered back.

 

“How do you plan to do that?” Jessica asked, not seaming the least bit interested.

 

“We’ll make them fall in love, make them believe that they are popular and then crush them in front of everybody.” Sooyoung chirped. 

 

“It will be so fun!” Yuri added with a huge grin.

 

“Ooh~! Who are the lucky victims?” Jessica asked, suddenly interested.


“I made someone go undercover for me and find the most unnoticed people in the school.” Sooyoung sneered as she pulled out a piece of paper. “The victims are; Kim Yesung, Lee Sungmin and Kim Ryeowook.” 

 

My eyes widened and I whipped my head in Sooyoung’s direction. “Huh?!” I blurted.

 

Sooyoung raised her eyebrows and pursed her lips as if she was trying to hold a grin. “Problem, Yoona?” 

 

“N-no, it’s just that...” I sighed. “Why would you want to get close to a bunch of nobodies? I mean, seriously though, do you know what kind of germs they might posses?” I grimaced and shook my head.

 

“Yeah, Yoona is right.” Taecyeon added and nudged my shoulder slightly. Ugh...! “Why would you even think about getting close to them?!” 

 

“Well,” Sooyoung started as she fluttered her eyelashes. “It is our school’s tradition.”

 

“What, to pick on nobodies? Just face it; their lives are bad enough as it is.” I said and shrugged. I was playing it as cool as I could, but on the inside I was really scared. I don’t want them to hurt Ryeowook!

 

Yuri covered as she cleared . “Students here have been playing pranks on nerds and nobodies since forever. This year it’s our turn. We have to do it!” She said and grinned. I could only raise an eyebrow at her.

 

“Anyway,” Sooyoung started loudly. “Since you are the prettiest, we thought we would give you the least popular kid, just for fun.” She grinned as she gestured towards me. 

 

I waved my hand dismissively. “No need. I don’t want to do it anyway.” In response the room echoed in gasps. 

 

“WHAT?! But why?!” Yuri squealed and grabbed onto my arm.

 

“I don’t feel like hanging around a bunch of,” I yanked by arm out of Yuri’s grip. “nobodies.”

 

“Oh, really? Are you sure?” Sooyoung asked sarcastically while forming a pout.

 

“Definite.” I said as I jumped out of my seat. “But, I have class soon and I do care about my grades.” Unlike some people... “So, see yah!” I waved as I walked towards the door. Just as I reached for the handle I heard Sooyoung speak up again.

 

“It’s Kim Ryeowook.”

 

I froze and gulped. I took a shaky breath before grabbing the doorknob. “I don’t even know who that is.” 

 

 

Ryeowook’s POV

 

“Check mate!” I said and smirked evilly at my opponent.

 

“Aish! Wookie, I was this close to beating you!” Yesung hyung said and he slumped down in his chair. We were playing chess during break in the library.

 

“Just face it, hyung.” Sungmin started as he held on to his guitar. “You are always in second place.” 

 

“Yah! Watch it, you little brat!” Yesung snapped and reached for Sungmin’s throat, but Sungmin managed to scoot away. I giggled at my friends.

 

“Ahem!” 

 

While my friends were busy goofing around in the library, I glanced towards the literature section where I spotted a familiar face. After I received a small smile I got up and walked towards the isles. I crouched down on my knees, pretending to look for a book. “Welcome to my cave.” I muttered in a low voice.

 

“Thanks. You and your fellow bookworms keep it clean, I see.” Yoona replied. 

 

“Yeah, you know us nerds; we like to keep it clean.” I said rather proudly and shrugged. “Unlike you so called pretty people.” 

 

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Yoona whispered. “I’m clean.” 

 

I gave her a quick glance. “Yoong, be honest. When was the last time you saw the floor of your room.” She kept quiet for a moment, which I grinned triumphantly at.

 

“Anyway, we’re not talking about my room now, are we?” She snapped, trying to hide her smile. 

 

I chuckled at her stubbornness. “Honestly though, why are you here? I thought alligators were allergic to books and education.”

 

You’re so mean!” She whined and pouted. “Watch it before I accidentally drop this book on your head!” She threatened. I only laughed quietly at her.

 

“Anyway,” She started whispering in a lower voice than before. “What I wanted to tell you was th-” 

 

“Are you Kim Ryeowook?”

 

“Eek!” Yoona screeched and jumped at the sudden voice.

 

Soon the book Yoona had been threatening me with earlier hit my head. “Ow!” I took off my bowler hat to rub my head.

 

“Oh! Yoona, you are here?”

 

I looked up to see who was talking. My jaw dropped as I saw Sooyoung and several other “beautiful people” standing before me and Yoona. I felt my body tremble and I quickly got up and scrambled towards my friends. I must not ruin Yoona’s reputation! 

 

“Yah! Kim Ryeowook!”

 

I stopped on my tracks as I heard her call my name. My friends stared at me with their mouths agape, we were all definitely thinking the same thing: what did I do?!

 

I turned around slowly on my heels to face Sooyoung, who was walking towards me. She stopped only a couple of feet away from me and stared me up and down. I gulped.

 

“Come with me.” She said and grabbed my sleeve as she started walking. Millions and millions of questions started to flow through my head; what did I do? Was I going to get beat up? Did she want my money? Was Yoona in on this? Where was she taking me? Why would she even talk to me?

 

I was dragged out into the currently empty school hallways. Sooyoung let go of my sleeve and stared me dead in the eyes. I didn’t even dare to straighten my sleeve under her cold gaze. She looked me up and down and shrugged. “It could work.” She muttered.

My whole body was trembling as I was expecting the worst. This was just too much, not knowing what would happen next.

Suddenly we made eye contact again and she creased her eyebrows. “What are you waiting for?!” She snapped with her hands on her hips.

 

My jaw dropped and my lips trembled. “H-huh?” I blurted.

 

“Ugh!” She rolled her eyes at me. I swear, these popular kids are a whole different species! She then sighed and closed her eyes. From the look of it, it seemed like she was trying to collect herself. When she met my eyes again, slowly a smile crept up her lips. The smile was not too friendly though, it almost seemed painful, as if it took all the strength that she had. “Aren’t you gonna ask me out?”

 

I frowned, which she didn’t seem to like because her face darkened immediately. I took a small step back. “I think you are mistaking me with someone else.”

 

“You are Kim Ryeowook, right?” She said in a sing song voice without showing any sign of gladness. 

 

“Yes, but maybe there is another person with the same name that you are looking for.” I explained and shrugged.

 

Sooyoung raised an eyebrow at me, she was clearly not amused. “No, I know it’s you. Now ask me out.”

 

Is this honestly how it works in their world? “Um...” I scratched my nape nervously. “This is honestly kind of awkward and-”

 

“I didn’t ask for your personal opinion, did I?” She snapped and crossed her arms. “Just as me out already! Gosh!” 

 

I shrugged. “Um, okay... will you go out with me?”

 

“Yes. Let’s meet outside by the school gates at approximately 3 o’clock.” She said.

 

“O-okay?” I muttered. I don’t think I have ever felt so utterly confused.

 

“Good. I’ll see you then.” Sooyoung said before stomping away, soon I saw the other popular people following behind her. And I saw Yoona. Walking next to Taecyeon. Not even sparing me a glance.

 

 

-----------------------------

A/N:

Hey guys! 

You know, it made me happy that YoonWook shippers are subscribing to this story. Normally I prioritate fics that have not been updated for a while or just the fics I started first. This is the latest fic I have written and for the moment it is my first priority. I just really want to make a good story since there are not many YoonWook shippers and even less YoonWook fan fics. Also, since it is a short story, I want to just write it quickly so it will be finished before I continue with my other fics :-) (but ofc, I'll update my other fics as well, just not as often...)

I hope no one starts to hate on any of the characters! :o I know how easy it is to dislike an artist because of a fanfic, but I needed some "bad guys" and I chose the ones I felt were most appropriate. Sooyoung is like my bias! xD

Also, don't worry. This is a YoonWook fic and so there will be YoonWook, but I can't write an all happy YoonWook fic with all rainbows and sunshine. Remember; after storm and rain comes sunshine. :3

Love to all the precious YoonWook shippers! 

-CC