2

Paper

Ten minutes had passed and my back was already hurting from walking all bent over. This was going to take forever! I whined to myself. I glanced at the girl who was carefully putting a bunch of papers back into her box-looking bag, or whatever it was, from where they had escaped while having a much focused expression on her face. What was so important about these papers anyway? Couldn’t she just buy new ones? I was starting to regret my so very generous offer to help this young lady. But I guess, if she was as desperate to collect these papers as I was to regain my ability to write lyrics… I’d love it if someone could help me… with  my arms full of papers I turned around.

“Hey, could you help me open…” Huh? Where was she? Annoyed I looked around. My hands were full, I couldn’t open the bag and put the papers in there without her help. In the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of her hair. I turned to her. “Come over he- Yah! You can’t do that, you’re stopping the traffic!” I yelled and felt all of my body hair stand out from my body in panic as I saw her running around in the middle of the street. She laughed carelessly, plucked a paper from the windshield and came back upon the sidewalk.

“You were saying?” she asked as she stepped up to me.

“I… uh, I don’t, umm… can’t remember…” I stuttered. She laughed and I recovered my ability to talk. “Yah! This is nothing to laugh about! I was in shock. You could’ve gotten hit by a car and…”

“Aw, were you worrying about me? She gave me an adorable smile and I got tongue tied again. she reached her hands out and took the papers I was holding. “I’ll take these, thank you. And thank you for helping me.”

“Are we finished?” I asked surprised.

“More or less, I don’t think we’ll be able to catch the last ones. They flew away,” she said as she put the papers into her bag. “They are probably halfway to China by now.”

“Yeah…” Was I supposed to laugh at that? A weird awkward chuckle escaped my lips and she gave me a strange look. She stood up and walked up to me again.

“Well, thank you for your help…” She gave me a questioning look. I held my hand out.

“Yonghwa. Jung Yonghwa,” I said. She smiled and shook my hand.

“Jae Mi.”

 

She was heading the same direction as I was, since I didn’t have a direction at all, so we made company for a while. I glanced at her bag. It looked heavy. Her petite body didn’t match the size of that bag.

“It’s fine, I’m stronger than I look,” she said without looking at me and with a small smile playing on her lips.

“Oh, uh, right…” I quickly looked away and feverishly tried to think of a different subject. “So… what are you using those papers for?”

“I’m getting a book printed,” she said casually. I looked at her in surprise. A book?

“You’re a writer?”

“I’m a poet,” she said and glanced at me. I looked thoughtfully straight ahead of me. A poet… “Not what you expected?” I looked at her.

“Well no…” To be honest I hadn’t really thought much about her at all, I had just been grieving my loss of lyrics… “What are your poems about?”

“Nothing, really. I just pick up inspiration from daily things around me. I’ll probably write a poem about you later today.” She smiled at me and I felt my cheeks turn pink. She laughed at me and slapped me on my arm. “Are you blushing? It’s nothing like that, I promise.”

“I wasn’t blushing,” I said and tried to hide my face. She shrugged.

“Whatever you say.”