1

Paper

A paper.

A blank paper.

The paper is blank…

 

Gah! Screw this! I pushed the paper away and threw my pen away. What was with me nowadays? I couldn’t write. Not a single word. Men pen and paper, the ultimate team, refused to cooperate. Not even that stupid history paper wanted to be written. I went over to the bed and picked up my best friend, my guitar. I easily composed a, not to brag or anything but, beautiful melody that was calm and gave a romantic impression, but I couldn’t come up with a fitting lyric. I felt like smashing my guitar against the desk in frustration, but I knew I’d regret it later so I just gently lay it on the bed and patted it on the “head”.

“I’ll be right back,” I said and then left the room.

 

I walked aimlessly around the block looking around me at the people. Where could I find it? I walked through a dark alley and came out on a busy street. Where could it be? I looked in both directions and was just about to step out and walk across when a paper blew into my face and covered my sight. I stumbled backwards in surprise and took the paper off of my face. I looked at it on both sides, it was blank. I groaned. Fate is mocking me for not being able to write. I looked around and saw hundreds of identical papers flying around uncontrollably in the air. Seriously!? What had I ever done to make my karma do this to me? Just then I heard an exclamation behind me and I spun around. A girl was frantically running around on the pavement trying to catch the escaping papers. I watched her for a moment before bending down and picking up the papers lying by my feet. I walked up to the girl, who was now jumping up and down in an attempt to grab a hold of the papers in the air around her. I put a hand on her shoulder.

“You can give that up, it’s hopeless. You’ll never catch all of them,” I said. She turned around and faced me. Looked up at me and gave me a weird look.

“Give up? Hell no! I need these papers.” She continued jumping and waving her arms above her head. I blinked a few times. That wasn’t really the answer I had expected… I scratched the back of my head and cleared my throat.

“Um…”

“What?” She turned around and gave me something that looked very much like a glare. I reached her the papers I had picked up from the ground and her face lit up in a sweet smile. “Oh, thank you!”

“No problem.” I hesitated a while before deciding to do the good deed of the day. Maybe my karma would go up a level or two. “I’ll help you.”