Glad I Came Home

Melting

Choi Industries

Business and Management

Choi Seunghyun, CEO

Office: (321) 654-9876

CEO: (321) 654-9898

 

“That’s my new boss,” Seungri said, as he peeked in to read the business card. 

My mind went blank. This can’t be. I don’t know what to do. What should I say? To TOP and Seungri? Who am I? What the heck am I saying. I don’t have amnesia... yet. Wait, just focus. What do I do?

“Hey,” Seungri nudged me. “Did you hear me? Ground control to Major Tom? Hello?” He waves his hand in front of my stunned face.

“What’s that you said?” I get back to reality. 

Seungri pulls out his phone and scrolls through his contact list. “I said that’s my new boss. The CEO. The one who offered me a job here.”

“Oh,” I said. “Yes. Right.”

“You know what, from what I heard, he’s an amazing entrepreneur. I mean, he has one of the best companies here right now. He has, like, 5 houses. A collection of some of the rarest vintage cars. A closet with the best tailored suits, and leather shoes that every aspiring businessman would want. Well, that’s what I read in the Forbes magazine. Or it might be GQ. Or Elle. He was probably on the cover of all those magazines at one point anyway,” Seungri laughs while he blabbers on. 

My mind blanks out again. His voice becomes an echo. I can hear it, but not clearly. It is as if the sound goes through one ear and escapes the other. My mind still couldn’t grasp it. I met a suited man over ice cream who happens to be a successful millionaire.

He can buy you 10 tubs of ice cream.

What? No! Shut up, brain! 

“So, this TOP guy...” Seungri chimes in. “He works for this guy?”

“Huh?” I said, confused. 

 

L“I said, this TOP guy who you met... does he work for Mr. Choi?” Seungri asked. 

 

I blink a million times, searching for an answer.

 

“Yes.” I said without hesitation. And confidence? 

 

And with absolute confidence. “Yes, he does work for him.”

 

Maybe I should think before I speak. Well, a bit too late for that now. I can’t believe I’m lying to the face of my bestfriend of 10 years. We’ve been friends since high school, and I just can’t—

 

“Well, then, that’s great! I’ll probably meet him at work!” Seungri said, excitedly. “I haven’t been to the office yet. Maybe he’ll be my first office buddy!”

 

“Yeah,” I chuckle nervously. “It’s almost 9AM. Have you had breakfast yet?” I asked, relieved to finally able to change the topic. I lead him to the kitchen. 

 

“I just had airplane food on the way here,” he said, smiling. He leans on the counter, and watches me clumsily grab pans.

 

“I’ll make you something. Eggs and pancakes?” I hold out the pan, smiling. 

 

“Sounds good,” Seungri smiles back. He goes to open the fridge, and grab the carton of eggs.

 

I poke his sides, which uttered a laugh from 

Seungri. “What are you doing?” I asked, smiling.

 

“I’m trying to help you! You can’t just poke me like that! You know I’m ticklish!”

 

“You’ve had a long flight. Just go sit back. I’ll do the cooking, Mr. Giggles.” 

 

“Mr. Giggles,” he mocks my tone. “Yeah, yeah. You’re the boss.” He sits back at the couch, and watches me cook.

 

I begin preparing the eggs, and ingredients for the pancakes. I start whisking the batter up and heat up the pan. Shortly, I set the table for two. 2 plates, 2 glasses of orange juice, 2 forks and 3 knives. 

 

“I got you 2 knives because I know you like getting butter with a different knife.” I said. “Come, let’s eat.”

 

Seungri smiles at the gesture, as he and I sit down at the table, ready to feast. 

 

“You know what? I’m glad I came home,” he says softly, gently smiling.

 

——— on the other side of the city ———

 

On the 10th floor of a building, Seunghyun stares at the view of the city. The captivating high rises amazes his eyes. The sky never looked more blue. The clouds formed the shape of her

 

He can see every person crossing the busy streets. Yet they’re just dots from this floor. Is she out there? Did she forget him?

 

A knock echoes on his door. A pretty girl’s face peeks in. “Mr. Choi,” Secretary Jennie softly says. “You have a call on line 2.” 

 

Seunghyun immediately stares at the phone on his desk. “Thank you, Jennie,” he says, before she carefully closes his door.

 

Seunghyun picks up the phone, and presses line 2.

 

“This is Mr. Choi of Choi Industries,” he said firmly.

 

“Hi. It’s me.”

 

He was puzzled, but the voice sounded familiar. 

 

“It’s me... Chaerin.”

 

————————————————-

 

AUTHOR’S NOTE:

 

YOU GUYSSSSS

I’m so sorry for updating after TWO WHOLE YEARS!!!! (Honestly, at this rate, I might update every 2 years. Loljk)

 

How did you like this chapter’s ending? 

I hate myself, too. Hahahahaha

 

Comment below your thoughts! 

And subscribe to know what happens next!