4: Changing the Past

Melting

So, a man I met gets angry for having a taste of his dessert. He then befriends you and invites you to a little adventure to, of course, get to know each other. If you were in my shoes, what would you do? What would you say? Pfft. It doesn't matter now. I agreed to go along with this guy Seunghyun. He seems decent, but mysterious. I've never been so... so... curious about something. Of course, like being a baby, you're curious of what the world is and you kind of know by chewing on the object you're eager to understand.

"Seunghyun-ssi, where are we going?" I asked, looking out the window then looking around his car. He was neat, as I have thought of before. His car smelled and looked new.

"Remember I told you my friends forgot my birthday a couple of weeks ago? And that I asked for an ice cream cake but they never got it for me?" he reminded me. I can feel a small grin on his face while he said this.

I was sensing something's coming up. "Don't tell me you're planning on getting revenge to them because that... that would be foolish of you." I said, hoping he's not planning of something cruel.

He chuckled and said nothing for a while. He continued driving through the traffic. The road wasn't that busy. There were a lot of parked cars, but not a whole lot were actually driving down the road. It's so nice outside, though. I wonder why people don't want to enjoy the heat of the sun, the coolness of a cold dessert or drink, the warmness of the beach. "The beach would be nice, wouldn't it?" he asked calmly out of nowhere. "I guess." I said, looking out the window. "It would be nice to celebrate my birthday with you. The beach is the perfect place," he said softly. "It's quiet, beautiful."

"Why don't we invite your group of friends to go with us?" I asked. It seems like he doesn't trust his friends. "Sometimes, the friends you have aren't actually your real friends." he looked at me and he slightly smiled sadly. "You'd rather trust me? An ice-cream-stealing ahjumma?" I said jokingly. "You're cool, as I've said before. Cool as ice cream." he laughed.

We arrived at the nearest possible beach. "Waah~ it's beautiful." I gasped, my jaws dropped. Seunghyun walked up to the sand. "Take off your shoes. Feel the heat." he smiled, and carried my shoes for me. "You know what?" I asked. "What?" he asked back. "You look weird being barefoot and wearing a full-on suit and tie." I smiled. He did, too. I ran near the waters, kneeled on the sand, and dipped my hands in the salty body of water. "Yah, _________-ssi! Better?" I heard Seunghyun yell. I turned my head to him. He took off his jacket, rolled up his sleeves, ed a few buttons of his long-sleeved polo, and finally rolled up his pants. "Wow wowee~! Kyeopta!" I shouted back, giving him a two thumbs up. He looked better that way. Not the fact he's showing skin but the way he looks comfortable in the setting. He walked up beside me. "Enjoying yourself, eh? You should've waited for me." he said, pouting his lips. "Ain't nobody got time for that!" I laughed. He then splashed water at me. "Yah!" I gasped. I pushed him in the water, falling on his back. He then chased me, grabbing as much water as he can on the palms of his hand. We chased each other like children. In this moment, we enjoyed ourselves. We were happy.

Time passed by so fast that we didn't notice the sun is about to go down. Soon, we got tired of chasing, and ended up lying on the sand. We were both looking up at the sky, like we're looking for something, but didn't know what we're trying to find. We were the only ones there. It was silent. The sky got darker. "If you could take something back from your past, what would it be?" he asked. "The things I've done made me what I am today. Sure, I've done stuff I regret, but it helps me understand... me. Who I am. My purpose of living. My worth." I continued to look up at the sky as I said this. The stars were up. They were stunning. This might sound silly, but I look at people as stars. There are billions of them out there, but they're all different. Unique. 

In the corner of my eye, I see Seugnhyun just silently nod. I wonder what he's thinking about.

"What are you thinking about?" I whispered. "Why the sudden question about changing one's past?"

"You can tell a lot from a person by the way they answer that question."

I thought for one second. "Has someone asked you that same question before?"

"Mhmm." 

"Well...? What did you say?"

"Before, the first time someone asked me that, I said there are times I regret meeting some people. Like my friends." Seunghyun said in a slow, low voice. 

"But friends are supposed to be supportive and all and --"

"You might think I'm getting mad at them just because they forgot my birthday, but... there's so much more to that. There's something missing within our conversations. There's just something missing..." 

"Can you talk to them about it?" 

"It's awkward." 

"Seriously?" 

"Ssshhh." he turned his body, and put his index finger on my lips. "Let's just enjoy this moment as much as we can while we're at it. We're young. We're free." He breathed in the cold air. I wish for a shooting star to come by. I'd wish for Seunghyun to feel better.

"You know what?" he blurted. I turned my head to him. "What?" I asked.

"Do you know how I would answer the changing-your-past question today?" 

"... How?"

"I would say I regret not meeting you earlier in my life."

 

________________________________

Author's Note: I wrote this chapter a long time ago and I posted it on Instagram but not here! Ugh. So here you go. This was edited. So the ending of this chapter was different from the one I originally wrote on IG. Hope you enjoyed this chapter anyway! Comment, review my writing skills please! Subscribe if you want more!