Chapter 5

The Unconscionable Bet

Kevin was in a foul mood.  Damn her for playing hard to get!  Why couldn’t she just succumb to his generous offer?  Any woman in their right mind would jump at his proposition.  So Charmaine Sheh thought she was too good for him didn’t she?  Well he’ll teach her a lesson.  A lesson she’ll never forget.  How, he didn’t know yet but he’ll find a way to get back at her for rejecting him.

“Hey Kevin, where have you been lately?” Bosco asked as he took the seat beside him and poured himself a shot of brandy from the bottle on the table.

“I’ve been entertaining with my father, meeting business acquaintances,” Kevin said with irritation.  “The old man won’t leave me alone.  Insists that I take my rightful place as heir and take over the family business.”

Bosco chuckled, “Makes sense to me.  That’s the price you have to pay for being the one and only son.”

Kevin snickered, “All I’m interesting is doing nothing.  There are other directors in the company who could manage the company fine without me.”

“Well that’s what you have to endure for being so filthy rich,” Bosco teased then looked up as Raymond approached them.  “You are truly amazing,” he said with a sly grin.

Taking a seat Raymond smiled and said with conceit, “Less than five minutes was all it took and I got myself another yacht.”

“You are truly the man!” Bosco said with admiration.  He poured a glass of brandy and passed it to Raymond, “Give me some pointers.  You shouldn’t be the only one who’s getting all the fun.”

Raymond smiled superiorly at Bosco and said, “Can I help it if I’m desirable to women and they fall for me instantly.  Sometimes I wish I wasn’t born so handsome and charming.  There’s too much girls and only one of me to go around.  It isn’t fair to those who haven’t gotten their chance with me yet.”

Kevin rolled his eyes at Raymond’s obnoxious boast and said wearily, “You’re not that handsome and I, for one, don’t find you desirable at all.”

Raymond laughed softly, “That’s because you’re a guy and don’t know any better.  I can assure you there hasn’t been any girl that could resist me.”

Bosco nodded in agreement, “Ray’s right.  Every girl we point in his direction, he’s able to bed her.”  Looking at Raymond with eagerness, he said, “What’s your secret?  Is there a special pick up line that you use?”

Suddenly an idea formed in Kevin’s head and with renewed interest he leaned forward in his chair and said, “I bet there are some girls out there who could resist you.”

Raymond laughed heartily as if that’s the most ridiculous thing he had ever heard.  “I don’t want to sound conceited but there isn’t.  I can get any girl, regardless of age, married or not.  I can even get a nun to forego her beliefs and sleep with me if I choose to.”

With a gleam in his eyes, Kevin goaded, “Prove it.”

Raymond was not one to be shot down especially when his reputation was at stake.  He already knew what Kevin’s idea of proof was and beat him to the punch, “Who is the girl you have in mind.”

Kevin chuckled with anticipation and answered, “Her name is Charmaine Sheh.  She works at the Fountain Youth Center for the elderly.  And I bet you won’t be able to bed her.”

Sensing some sort of trap as to why Kevin singled out this girl, Raymond asked curiously, “Why her?  Is she some sort of ugly duckling and you’re testing to see if I can go through with it?”

Kevin laughed at the irony of Raymond’s words.  “That’s totally off the mark.  Charmaine Sheh is gorgeous.  A rare beauty you might say.”

Still trying to figure out Kevin’s motive behind the wager, Raymond asked, “Why her?”

Kevin’s face hardened and after swallowing a gulp of brandy, seethed, “She’s pretends to be a good girl, all nice and sweet, but I know deep down she is just as cheap and easy as all the other girls.”

“I see,” Raymond said casually then erupted in laughter, “She turned you down flat didn’t she?”

Bosco laughed along, “Our Kevin got rejected.  That must really hurt your ego.”

Kevin rubbed his sore cheek as he recalled the look of repulsion on Charmaine’s face when he last saw her and said bitterly, “The time limit is three months.  Within these three months, if you can get her to fall for you, you can have anything you want from me.”

“What do you gain out of all this?” Bosco asked.

Looking directly at Raymond, Kevin said, “If you’re able to make her fall in love and sleep with you, I get the satisfaction of seeing her heart broken when I break the news to her that she was nothing but a bet.  That’s my petty revenge.  So what do you say?  Think you have what it takes to lure an innocent good girl to fall for you?”

Raymond eyed Kevin as he contemplated the outrageous wager.  They have never wagered on anything this big before.  Yet Raymond was up to the challenge.  With an answering smile, he said, “What do I get if I win?”

Kevin smirked and said, “You name it.”

“If I win, I want the new estate you bought by the Peak.”

Kevin thought it over for a few seconds.  He had only acquired the estate for less than a week and loved the peace and tranquility in living there but getting his revenge was worth giving it up.  “You’re on.  If I win, I want your Ferrari, the antique one.”

Raymond smiled cunningly at him, “Sure but you won’t win.  I guarantee that Charmaine Sheh will fall madly in love with me and will be sharing my bed in less than three months.”