Chapter 1

The Unconscionable Bet

It was a clear blue sky and despite the heat, there was a subtle breeze that seemed to make the weather seem almost perfect.  It was already late afternoon.  In a couple of hours, dusk will arrive and that was Charmaine’s favorite time of the day.  She loved the stark contrast of the sun disappearing with the dark arrival of night in the background.  It was to her, a picture of calm serenity and incomparable beauty.  Often she would walk to the pier and sit staring out at the open sea waiting for dusk to show and mark the end of the day only to begin the cycle again the next day.  Charmaine was content with the simple joys of life.  She didn’t need designer bags or fashionable clothes to feel happy and content.  Growing up with nothing she had learned to appreciate everything that was given to her and things that others took for granted, such as the beauty of watching the sun rise and set, the simple taste of plain bread and specially the peace of not doing anything but sitting in a park watching others with their families and loved ones.  Her mother had taught her at a very young age to love herself for whom and what she is and never be greedy for more.  Sometimes being simple is all it takes to be happy and how right her mother was Charmaine thought with a sad smile.  Although her parents are no longer with her, their philosophy in life had stuck on with her and she will always cherish everything that they have taught her.  She went around the long receptionist desk and sat behind it.  Picking up a stack of paper she began the processing of organizing the applications they have received for the day and putting them in chronological order.  These will have to be reviewed by the board so she clipped them together and placed them neatly into a folder marked for review.  After that was completed, she searched the desk for other things she might be able to do while she waited for the receptionist to return from her break.  She was in the midst of imputing the center’s schedule for next week when she heard approaching footsteps followed by the voice of her supervisor Astrid Chan.

“Mr. Cheng, we thank you for all your contributions to our senior citizen home and will make sure that everything is perfect for the charity ball next month,” Astrid Chan said to the eldest gentlemen.

Mr. Cheng smiled and patted his son’s back, “I promised to leave everything to Kevin so if you need anything or have any questions, feel free to call him.”

Astrid looked at the younger Mr. Cheng and smiled, “Of course.  I look forward to organizing this wonderful and meaningful event with you.”

Kevin smiled flittingly at her and turned with boredom to survey the place.  His eyes fell on an exceptionally pretty girl behind the receptionist desk.  Always a brazen one, he tilted his head towards the girl and asked, “Who is she?”

Taken aback by the out of nowhere question, Astrid looked behind her.  “That is Charmaine Sheh.  She is one of the assistants here.”

Kevin kept his eyes on the pretty girl and said, “I want her to help in planning this event.”

“But she doesn’t know the first thing about planning such an event,” Astrid explained hurriedly.  “She’s only an assistant here.”

Kevin’s eyes snapped to Astrid and he softly asked, “Do you or do you not want us to make this sizeable contribution to your center?”

Astrid looked hastily towards the older Mr. Cheng and waited for him to speak up, which thankfully he did.

“Kevin, what are you trying to pull now?” Mr. Cheng asked with growing exasperation.

Kevin smiled and said, “If you want me to take over this project then I get to make all the calls.  And I want her,” he pointed at Charmaine who had overheard the conversation and was looking in their direction with nervous anxiety, “to help me organize it.”

Mr. Cheng looked with embarrassment at Astrid and said, “I’m sorry Ms. Chan but do you think it’s possible to arrange that?”  With an apologetic smile, he added, “My son is very set in his ways and since this is a big event and a good cause for all these senior citizens, I think it would be worth it to make this small adjustment.”

With no choice but to agree, Astrid nodded her head with resignation, “Of course Mr. Cheng.”  She looked at Charmaine and waved her over, “Charmaine, come over here please.”

Charmaine left her station and walked meekly towards them, “Yes Astrid?”

Astrid saw the discomfort on Charmaine’s face and felt a pang of guilt for subjecting her to this.  From their years of working together, Astrid knew what a good girl Charmaine is and also by the look on Kevin Cheng’s face as his eyes raked Charmaine from head to toe, knew what type of guy he is.  She knew what Kevin Cheng was up to and yet their contribution would do wonders for their center.  Making her voice sound as bright as she could make it she said to Charmaine, “Mr. Kevin Cheng would like you to help him in organizing the charity ball for next month and I think it’s good learning experience for you.”

Charmaine looked up with confusion at her supervisor, “But that’s not within my area.  I don’t know the first thing about planning an event or….”

Kevin interrupted as his eyes held hers and said provocatively, “I’ll teach you everything you need to know.”

Unaware of the double meaning in his words, Charmaine turned to Astrid, “Can’t you find someone else?  It’s too big of a responsibility for me.”

Kevin stared at her as he said with biting contempt, “Either you do it or we’re going to renege on our contribution.  So what will it be?”

Charmaine saw the pleading in Astrid’s eyes and numbly nodded her head, “I’ll help.”

Kevin clapped his hands together and said, “I’m glad you made the wise choice.  Get your purse, we’re going to have our first meeting now over dinner.”

“What?” Astrid cried out with distress while Charmaine heard alarm bells ringing inside her head.

“I like to get started right away and I can’t think on an empty stomache.  Is there a problem with that?” Kevin asked silkily as he watched Charmaine.

Mr. Cheng stomped his cane a few times on the floor and said, “Kevin!  Stop this nonsense right now!”

Kevin turned to meet his father’s stormy eyes and said ever so sweetly, “Father, you just said I’m in charge of this project so that means I do things my way.  Do you mean to back out of your words again?”

Mr. Cheng did not have a suitable answer and with another apologetic look at Astrid and Charmaine stammered, “I-I…  I left him in charge so everything will be dealt with him directly.”

Kevin looked imploringly at Charmaine and asked haughtily, “Shall we go?”

With no choice, Charmaine left to get her purse from the draw and with a panicky look at Astrid was propelled out the door by the arrogant Kevin Cheng.