Chapter 2

The Unconscionable Bet

Raymond strutted into the bar and saw his friends drinking heavily in a corner where it provided a broad view of all that was in the bar.  “Hey guys!” he greeted and dropped himself down on an empty chair.  “Anyone worth checking out?” he asked as his eyes roamed the crowded room, stopping every now and then to appraise a girl he thought worth having a second look.

Ron pointed at a young girl, no more than twenty in a tube top and short mini skirt, “That one over there.  She seems easy.”

Raymond laughed and joked, “Easy is the way we like them.”  The comment brought out raucous laughter from around the table.

Bosco picked up a handful of nuts and began popping them one by one into his mouth.  In between bites he asked, “How did you make out with the girl last night?”

Raymond chuckled and bragged, “She was all over me the moment we entered my apartment just as I said she would be.”

“Prove it,” Bosco said and the group of men turned to look at Raymond expectantly.

Raymond gave them a killer smile and retrieved his cell phone from his pocket.  He punched a few buttons then passed the phone on to Ron.  “Will this suffice?”

Ron stared at the lewd picture on the screen then handed it over to Bosco, “Ray wins again.”

Bosco studied the picture and a smile formed on his lips, “I guess there really isn’t a girl who could resist your charms.”

Raymond took the phone out of Bosco’s hand and deleted the picture.  “I don’t like saving junk on my phone.”  With a wink he added, “Know what I mean.”  That brought on more rowdy laughing from their group.

Sammul, who had known them the same amount of years and was considered one of them but not really because he did not enjoy nor approve of their womanizing ways, felt compelled to say, “You guys are disgusting!  One of these days you guys are going to get what’s coming to you.”

“What are you babbling about?” Bosco asked as he stared with annoyance at Sammul, who always seem to dampen their moods.

“All I’m saying is you shouldn’t play these girls the way you guys do,” Sammul countered helplessly.  “It’s cruel and…”

Ignoring Sammul, Raymond turned to Bosco and interrupted with a smirk, “I won the bet now where is my reward?”

Bosco sighed and unclasped the new Panerai watch which he just spent a fortune on and handed it over to Raymond.  “Yours fair and square.”

Raymond pretended to study the watch then waved at a passing waiter.  When the waiter stopped before him offering his service, Raymond placed the watch on his tray and said, “A little tip for you.”

The waiter stared in shock at the watch and then turned to look at them, “Y-You’re serious?”

Raymond nodded happily, “Of course.  It’s yours.  Now take it and leave before I decide to give it to someone else.”

The waiter didn’t need a second warning.  He quickly left pocketing the watch.

Raymond turned to look at Bosco and said, “I hope you didn’t mind that I gave away the watch.”

Bosco shrugged with disinterest, “You won it so you could do whatever you want with it.  Besides, I already knew you were going to win the bet so this morning I ordered another one and I’ll have it tomorrow morning.”

Raymond chuckled as his eyes scanned the room looking for his next prey.  His eyes landed on a girl who was at the bar by herself.  She was conversing with the bartender and in Raymond’s view, she looked like someone who could provide entertainment to him for the night.

Following the directions of his gaze, Ron asked, “Is she going to be your next target?”

Raymond nodded getting up to zoom in on his prey.  “How long do you think it would take before she’ll leave with me?”

Bosco turned to study the girl and said, “She looks cheap so I’ll say fifteen minutes.”

Ron rubbed his chin as he too studied the girl, “I’ll say half an hour.  What about you Sam?”

Sammul rolled his eyes and said, “I’m not taking part of this.”

Raymond laughed and said with overconfidence, “I bet she’ll be going home with me in less than five minutes.”

“I say that’s impossible,” Bosco said, “What are we betting for this time?”

Raymond took out the keys to his new BMW and lightly swung it in the air, “If I lose this belongs to you and if I win, I want your new yacht.”

“Agreed,” Bosco confirmed and sat back to watch as Raymond made his way over to the girl at the bar.  The group watched with unconcealed interest as Raymond said a few words to the girl, to which she laughed shyly, then to their utter amazement, she slipped her hand into his and followed him out the bar