Chapter 30

The Unconscionable Bet

Raymond laid in bed.  He hasn’t changed or bathed in days.  He didn’t need to for he hasn’t left his apartment since that day when Joel threw him out of the center.  He didn't know where to go or what to do except hide at home and take his frustration out on his furniture or his hands.  Three months ago, he was partying away with his friends, living life to its fullest.  Now all he could do was lie awake and mourn for losing and hurting the only woman he had ever loved.  Charmaine, he thought with a sad smile.  His life seems so empty without her.  He wanted to see her smile and hear her musical laughter again.  What he would give just to see her one more time.  The buzzing of the doorbell broke into his thoughts.  Quickly wiping his face of his tears he went to answer it.  To his chagrin surprise, it was Astrid.  Seeing her icy expression, he knew she must have heard.  "Hi," he mumbled with shame and took a step back to allow her in.

Astrid walked into his apartment and turned to glare at him with hands on hips, "Is it true Ray?  Nancy and Joel told me what you did to Charmaine and I have to hear it from you myself.  Please tell me its all one big misunderstanding."

Raymond softly closed the door and faced her.  "I'm sorry."

A flash of anger crossed Astrid's face but she reined it in.  In a controlled voice she asked, "Why?  I know it's not any of my business but your mother and I are good friends and I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt.  How could you do something so cruel?"

Raymond couldn't seem to hold back his tears.  All his pent up frustration, anger and grief came spilling out.  With his voice cracking he said, "You don't think I regret it?  I lost her!  I lost the best thing that ever came into my life.  And all because of my own stupidity!"

Astrid was stun by his outburst.  She had come over today expecting to see an arrogant Raymond Lam, gloating over his victory and giving off an uncaring attitude about what he had done.  Instead here he was, crying and looking so pitiful that it took a moment for Astrid to realize that he was hurting as well.  She searched his face and saw the genuine remorse and pain in his eyes.  She was relieved to know that he wasn't as bad or heartless as she first originally thought.  She walked to stand before him and asked, "Then why did you do it?"

Raymond rubbed at his face then dropped himself down onto the couch.  Covering his face with his hands, he confessed everything to her.  "Kevin wanted revenge against Charmaine because she rejected him.  So we made a bet to see if I can make Charmaine fall in love with me and bed her within a certain amount of time.  When I got to know Charmaine I realized I couldn't go through with it.  That night at the bar, I was about to tell the guys that I would never do anything to hurt her but I never got the chance."

"Kevin?" Astrid asked in a strained tone, "Do you mean Kevin Cheng?"

Raymond looked up curiously hearing the odd tone in her voice.  "Yes, do you know him?"

A look of disbelief filled Astrid's face.  With precision she stated slowly, "Kevin tried to Charmaine months ago but luckily he was stopped on time."

"What?" Raymond jumped up from his seat.  "Kevin didn't tell me that he used force on her.  He just said she rejected his pursuit."

Astrid looked at Raymond sadly and said flatly, "You really should get to know your friends better."

Narrowing his eyes with anger at this piece of news, Raymond said, "He's no longer my friend."

Astrid peered at Raymond closely and she noted the change in him.  Not just in appearance but in character as well.  Working at the center had stripped away his arrogance and had built self confidence in him.  He was no longer cocky and arrogant and from observing him at the center, Astrid have finally seen him as the man his parents always thought he was but hidden beneath his cool, spoiled, image.  She also knew that the change in him had to do with Charmaine.  With a small smile touching her lips she said, "You really love her don't you?"

Raymond squeezed his eyes shut against the tears that he knew will be spilling again.  In a ragged breath he said, "Yes but it doesn't matter anymore.  She will never forgive me."

Astrid patted Raymond on the shoulder and offered, "I'll talk to her.  I can't promise anything but I'll do my best."

Surprised, Raymond asked with hope, "You mean it?"

Astrid laughed softly, "Why would I lie to you?  Besides your mother would be happy that you found such a nice girl."

"But why would you help me after what I did to Charmaine?"

Astrid squeezed his shoulder and said simply, "Because I truly believe you love her."

--------------------------------------------------

Charmaine cleared the dishes on the table and carried them into the kitchen.  Joel followed behind with more.  "I'll be going back home tomorrow," she said as she loaded the dishes into the sink.

Joel placed his stack on the counter and asked, "So soon?  Aren't you afraid that he may still be waiting for you downstairs your building?"

Charmaine shook her head and replied softly, "I can't hide here forever."

When Joel saw the determination on her face he knew that she was going to be alright.  With a smile he said, "When are you returning to work?"

"I've already spoke to Astrid and I return next Monday."

"I'm glad to see you pull through this," Joel said quietly as he kept his gaze on her.  "There are so many good men out there, you shouldn't…"

"Can we not talk about this," Charmaine said lowly and averted her eyes.

Joel saw her stiffen and knew that she still wasn't completely over Raymond Lam.  Not wanting to dredge up more unhappy thoughts for her, he quickly said, "Of course.  I'll go wipe the table while you finish in here."

Charmaine nodded as she the water.  She knew that Joel was worried about her and she was grateful for his concern but there really isn't anything anyone could do to help her through this.  Every night she cried herself to sleep and when awake Raymond was constantly on her mind.  She can't forget him and she hated herself for still loving him.  Regardless of her feelings she knew she had to forget him and move on.  Even if it's not for herself she didn't want her friends worrying about her any more.

"What are you thinking about?" Joel asked suddenly beside her.

Jolted by his sudden nearness Charmaine dropped the sponge she was holding.  She quickly picked it up and continued with her cleaning.  "I was thinking it would be great going back to work.  Although I haven't been away long but I miss everyone."

Joel chuckled, "Everyone misses you too and we all can't wait to have you back."