Seungyeon's Past

Gangs Of Seoul: Origins (Prequel to Gangs of Seoul)

Seungyeon tiredly walked in the police office after chasing a car around the city, trying to stop them. Seungyeon was a police officer, she had been for 3 years now.

Her friend and colleague G.O saw her walking in. "You're back. How was it? Caught anyone today?"
Seungyeon shook her head.

G.O grinned. "So that means one point for me! I caught some little robbers nearby today."
"I almost caught him! So stop boasting, I will beat you soon, Byunghee." Seungyeon sighed and headed towards the bathroom.
"Haven't I told you not to call me with that name!!" G.O yelled, annnoyed to hear his real name as he didn't like it.

Seungyeon and G.O were always competing, they had always been competing about something.
This time, they were competing about who got to catch the most criminals in a month.

They had both knows each other since little kids as they had lived in the same neighborhood.

--------------------------------------------

14 years ago

"Catch her Byunghee! Or you are going to lose to a girl! You can't let a girl win you again!!" a little boy yelled as he watched his friends riding bicycles.

A 9 year old Seungyeon and a 10 year old G.O were racing with their bicycles, trying their best to beat each other.

G.O tried to go faster but Seungyeon still was ahead of him, they could already see the finish line that was one trash can on the street. Many of the kids from their neighborhood were there waiting, cheering for them.

I won't lose to Seungyeon this time!! I won't!!! I can be faster than her!! I'm a boy I must be faster!! G.O looekd ahead of him feeling embarrassed that Seungyeon was about to win him.

"Go Seungyeon!!" One girl cheered for the little girl. Seungyeon smiled widely and waved at her feeling victorious already.

But just then G.O went ahead of her.
"Yah! Byunghee!!" Seungyeon shouted and fastened her speed.

Suddenly she heard a strange noise from her bike. The bike was going really fast now as there was a bit of a downhill.

Seungyeon soon went so fast that in no time she crossed the finish line. All the kids cheered for her and laughed at G.O.
Seungyeon tried to make the bike stop as it still was just going on but suddenly the breaks didn't work.

Why why why why why? Seungyeon panicked, she was so concentrated on it that she didn't see another bike coming from the other street. Before she knew it and before she could stop her bike she hit the wheel of the other bike. "CRASH!! Seungyeon soon flew in the air and landed on the asphalt.

Seungyeon laid there without moving for a while as she was so shocked. Her knee was really hurting from the fall, and was bleeding. "Ow..." she whined a bit and slowly tried to get up. She felt like crying.

"Are you okay?" a man that had collided with her bike asked the little girl worried.
Seungyeon buried her wants to cry and held them back as she saw the person. "I'm fine."
She tried to act all tough and stood up, as if nothing happened to her she picked up her bike and with it started walking back to her friends.

"Seungyeon are you okay?" one of the girls in from the neighborhood ran to her. All the kids had seen her fall.

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?" Seungyeon faked a smile.
"Wow Seungyeon you really are so cool! Didn't that even hurt?" she pointed at her knee.
"Not at all." Seungyeon lied.

"You even beat Byunghee." the girl giggled.
"Were you doubting me? Of course I beat him! It's just Byunghee.! Seungyeon giggled.

Her friend laughed. Seungyeon saw G.O sitting down on the street, looked like he was sulking because of the embarrassment of losing to Seungyeon once again.

"Hey loser!! You're buying me ice cream remember!" Seungyeon shouted.
"I know I know!" G.O yelled back annoyed.

Seungyeon giggled looking at her sulking friend.

-------------------------

"Today we are going to talk about differet occupations children." Seungyeon and G.O's teacher said to her class.

"I want to hear if you have any dreams. What do you want to be when you grow up?" the teacher asked.

Seungyeon right away raised her hand.
"Yes Seungyeon." the teacher smiled.

"I will become a police!" Seungyeon said smiling widely. Everyone's heads turned towards Seungyeon as usually only boys wanted to be policemen.
"A police? Really? That is interersting Seungyeon.." the teacher tapped her chin. "But wouldn't it be nicer to be a teacher or a ballerina or something else. Being a police could be dangerous."

"No. I want to be a police! I want to catch all the bad men!" Seungyeon said firmly.

"I'm going to become a police too!" G.O who was sitting behind Seungyeon suddenly exclaimed.
Seungyeon looked back immediately. "Why are you always copying me.." she whispered. G.O just stuck out his tongue a bit but the way that the teacher didn't see him.

"Oh Byunghee, you too! That's a great job. If you will be a police officer you will do a very important job in this world. Protecting people. That's good." the teacher smiled patting his shoulder then continued to the next student.

Seungyeon stared at the teacher feeling hurt. Just because i'm a girl, I can't be anything cool? I should be something boring like a teacher.. or something stupid like a ballerina! I'm going to be a police! She will see! I will become the best one there is!

"See. I'm not copying you. You are the one who is copying something that only boys want to be.. " G.O smirked.
Seungyeon snorted.

"Byunghee. When we are big, you will see. I'm going to be a police! A much much braver police than any of you boys." she said determined.
"Hahaha yeah, right you will." Byunghee giggled.
"Stop laughing. I will." Seungyeon snapped at him. "You will see... if we both are one day going to be police officers.. I'm sure that if something really dangerous happens, you are going to be the first one to die. You always lose to me anyway.." Seungyeon said arrogantly.

"I won't!! I'm not someone you can kill that easily!! I'm a strong guy! " G.O snapped back.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Years passed by and G.O and Seungyeon were both growing up really well.
Seungyeon was a 17 year old young woman and G.O had just turned 18 a while ago.

"Byunghee!!!" Seungyeon caught her friend in the school hallway, she put her arm around his shoulders.
"Stop calling me with that name! It's G.O I am now. G.O!!" G.O said annoyed to hear his real name.
"Aigooo... you've always been Byunghee, always will be Byunghee!" Seungyeon .
"I'm not anymore!" G.O snapped.

"Araso araso.. mister G.O." Seungyeon giggled.

Suddenly a group of boys passed the two. The last one of them walking looked at Seungyeon and winked at her.
Seungyeon started blushing like crazy, she quickly hid her face behid G.O's shoulder. She couldn't stop smiling.

"Ooooh who's that?" G.O cooed pushing Seungyeon forward from his back.
"No one....." Seungyeon said quickly and looked away but her heart was beating so fast right now.

-------------

After two weeks G.O was walking to the bus stop to go home from school, when he suddenly saw Seungyeon sitting there all alone. It seemed like she was crying.

It was really not like Seungyeon to cry, so G.O grew really worried.
He walked to her and nudged her shoulder. "Hey.. what's the matter?" he asked.

Seungyeon saw G.O and right away looked down, not wanting him to see her cry.
"Nothing." she managed to say.

"Yah.. there must be something. Tell me." G.O insisted nudging her again.
"Well.. I... that... he.... I.... nothing.... forget it.." Seungyeon stuttered.
"He? Who he? The guy you are seeing now? Is it because of him?" G.O asked.

Seungyeon had had something going on with the guy that had winked to her before. It wasn't really dating, they just were hanging out together a lot.

Seungyeon nodded slowly.

"What did he do to you!? Tell me!! Tell me right now!" G.O was getting pissed at the guy who had made his always so strong friend cry.
"H-h-h-he said t-t-tha I'm not beautiful... and and and that I should be more like a woman so he might date me, and he said that I was a horrible kisser... that must be true-- I'm so ugly.... I-I don't know anyhing..." Seungyeon sobbed.
"He said what?!!! That jerk!!!" G.O shouted. "Where is he!? I'm going to kill him!"
"Yah! Don't do anything stupid to him... please." Seungyeon grabbed his arm. "I shouldn't have told you anything. Why am I so stupid." she got up and walked away from the bus stop.

"Where are you going?" G.O shouted.
"Don't follow me!" Seungyeon yelled and ran away.

------------------------------------

The next day Seungyeon didn't come to school but the day after she came again.

G.O just closed his locker when he heard some whistles from the group of boys near him. He turned to look at who they were looking at. His eyes widened when he saw Seungyeon walking towards the lockers.

She looked differet, very different.
She was wearing a lot of make up, she had curled her hair that usually was straight and tied up. Her school uniform's skirt was much shorter than before and she had ed more buttons from her shirt that usual so that more skin could be shown.

G.O stared at Seungyeon, he could see that Seungyeon felt uncomfortable with her new look. Her walking looked awkward as she was afraid that maybe her skirt might go too high and people could see her .

"What the hell have you done to yourself Seungyeon?!" G.O walked to Seungyeon.
"Why? I just put a bit of make up, like all the girls do." Seungyeon said.
"A little bit? No girls put that much on!" G.O said staring at her face.

Seungyeon shrugged. "I don't know about them but he said I was pretty.. he said he wants to see me again today.."

"What?!" G.O looked at Seungyeon in misbelief.
"Seungyeon seriously what has happened to you? Are you really the Seungyeon that I know!?"

"I am still Seungyeon.." Seungyeon mumbled.
"Just look at you! Some stupid dude calls you ugly and you go change yourself only to please him. You make yourself feel uncomfortable only to hear some guy say that you are pretty? You are pretty, even without trying to be like other girls.. being like that is not like you, you are pretty the way you are, you have always been a little different and it's okay. Don't try to change yourself. Now go change that skirt and wash your face!! You are making me feel uncomfortable too! The Seungyeon I know, never cares about what people say about her, she is confident and defends herself if someone hurts her. " G.O gave Seungyeon a lecture.

Seungyeon stared at G.O. She had never heard him talk like that.
Everything he says is true. I feel really awkward dressed like this. But I really like that guy..but really why am I doing this to myself. Why do I care about some guys opinion even if I like him.. he doesn't even really like me does he?

"So you going to wash your face or not?" G.O looked at her firmly.
"I promise you, there will be better guys than that jerk. There will be someone who will like you just the way you are so don't try to change yourself Seungyeon."

Seungyeon stared down at the floor for a moment, then nodded. "Okay.. I will."

"That's my girl." G.O smiled and patted her shoulder.

From that day on Seungyeon swore not to let anyones opinion affect the way she was. Her friend G.O had brought her back to her feet and she was really happy to have such a friend.

She once again got back her childhood dream that was to be a police and started studying hard to achieve that dream.

--------------------------------

"KYAAAA I GOT IN!!!!" Seungyeon squaled as she saw her name on the board in front of the police school she had applied to with G.O.
"Really?" G.O exclaimed trying to see his name on the list too.

"Did you?" Seungyeon frowneed trying to see his name too.
"IT'S THERE! i GOT IN TOO!!" G.O rejoiced.
"WOW!! That's awesome!!!" Seungyeon jumped to hug her friend.
"We are going to be at the same school once again, probably the same class too." G.O chuckled.
"Yeah, but it's good. Gives me more motivation to study better if I want to beat you." Seungyeon smirked.
"Yah. like you are going to beat me! I'm going to be way better police than you are!" G.O said arrogantly.
"No way.." Seungyeon nudged G.O playfully.