CH 16: Time and Place

Damn It Mr.Cho *PAUSED*

 

CH 16: Time and Place


 

Nini yawned, her hands immediately reaching up to rub her eyes that hesitate to open against the impeeding light. She looked over the living room where two empty glasses stayed standing beside a bottle of sparkling wine which consequently was also empty. Curled in a ball under a soft blanket she draped over the back of her couch was Suho. He didn’t leave and she wasn't sure if he stayed because he wasn’t sober enough to leave or because he was worried about her. She figured the latter, after all she did end up crying on his chest last night. Pushing the reason why she had initially cried from her mind, she swung her legs out of bed.

 

Creeping past the sweet landlord in his heavy slumber, she managed to switch on the electronic kettle. Looking back she giggled at how his cheek squished against the fluffy fleece blanket. She realized he also had admirably long eyelashes. Admiring her landlord wouldn’t help her mind but tea always helped her wake up and calm down. But since she was left to her own thoughts that she needed to avoid she knew a book was much needed to accompany the tea.

 

Nini rummaged through her luggage until she found a book of her liking. She had read it multiple times but it wouldn’t kill her to read it over once again. Returning to the main living area, she snatched the freshly brewed tea and curled up on the bench beside the window.

 

Suho stretched on the couch, the balls of his feet pressing against it’s arm. Still drowsy, he looked up to see Nini curled up and fully absorbed in a book. Wriggling out from under the blanket Suho wandered over to where Nini was propped on the bench and sat behind her. He rested his head on her shoulder and leaned against hers, mumbling a soft good morning.

He knew he would probably kick himself mentally for being so forward and clinging to her but at the current moment he was shameless.

“is it a good story?” Suho opened his eyes more to scan over the lines of the book and tried to pick up on the storyline.

“yes.” Nini didn’t say anything more nor did she bother to throw him a glance.

“am I bothering you?” Suho murmured.

“Yes.”

Suho shrugged it off since she didn’t react and continued to read alongside her. Catching up to her spot on the page before she flipped. As much as he wanted to convince himself he wasn't absorbed in a straightforward romance novel, he found himself intrigued and hooked to the story as she flipped pages. Not speaking to him or attempting to shake him off.

 

Not minding Suho’s heavy head rested on her shoulder and too absorbed in the story Nini read the last line on a page and flipped to the next, forgetting where the scene was heading until she got through three lines on the next page. Automatically remembering how Suho was pressed against her back and infact reading it with her, Nini snapped the book shut.

“I was reading that!” Suho pouted and pulled his chin back off her shoulder so she could face him.

“Read it another time.”

“but I want to know now, can’t we just finish the chapter?” Suho attempted to bargain with her but to no avail. She was not reading an scene with her landlord. Her landlord who cradled her head when she cried, cracked a bottle of wine with her till they were drunk and passed out and slept in her apartment.

“You’ll have to wait” Nini stood to walk and put the book away. Hiding it from Suho because the last thing she wanted was for him to read an passage from one of her personal novels.

Suho snatched the book from her dainty fingers and flipped to the page quickly, trying to get the last paragraph of the chapter in. Nini huffed and reached down, fending one another off with their arms till Nini got a good grip. Pulling Nini was horrified to hear the sound of paper tear.

 

Looking down at the book Nini’s jaw dropped and Suho looked at her in disbelief.

“I murdered it…” Nini croaked before Suho gently handed the paperback to her. Nini took it in her hand and closed it up before back handing Suho over the head with it.

“Idiot…” Nini stalked off towards her room, shoving the book away.

 

Suho chuckled softly, rubbing the back of his head and ruffling his hair.

“I’ll buy you a new one!” Suho called, peering around the corner.

“Don’t worry about it.” Nini rolled her eyes and slammed the french doors shut.

“Oh come on Nini...I didn’t mean to…”

 

Nini popped her head out from the door and looked him up and down.

“Jeez you're like a teenage girl, I’m not mad at you I’m just getting dressed.” She laughed before kindly shutting the door again.

Suho bit his lip, kicking himself for being so blatantly awkward.

 

“Nini...I’ll be back in a couple minutes ok? I’m going to run home and change.”

“Why...do you have a reason for coming back?” Nini didn’t mean for it to come out as harsh as it did.

“no I...errr, I don’t have to I just...you...nevermind. You probably want to be alone after last night. I’m...sorry.” Suho could feel the blood drain from his face and sheer embarrassment replace it.

“Suho…”

“Yeah.”

“Comeback when you’re done getting ready.”

Nini slide down the french doors, and hugged her knees. She didn’t want to be alone again. If she was alone her heart to hammer away at the fact Kyuhyun was no longer hers.

 

*~*~*~*~*

 

Minseok, balanced the box of groceries on his hip, swiping his access card and pushing the handle down. Stepping inside the condo Minseok was wrapped in silence. Not one sound stirred the air until he set the box down on the counter and wandered down the hall to wake Skye. It was a decent hour and it was best if she adjusted to the time zone by waking up at a regular morning hour. Lightly rapping his knuckles against her door Minseok waited for a response.

 

Taking it as an invitation to open the door Minseok swung it open, peaking in before opening it wide. To his greater surprise she wasn’t alone.

 

Tangled together were Skye and Dongwoo’s legs. Her leg tucked over and under his leg at the crook of his knee and their ankles pressed together.  He shook his head, trying to eliminate all the possibilities of how this situation came about. Both parties were dressed but that dismissed nothing.

 

Shuffling over to her bedside Minseok ran his fingertips down her shoulder and whispered her name quietly.

“Skye-ah, wake up” Minseok breathed close to her ear.

She stirred easy and took a deep breath before her eyes fluttered open. Minseok looked back into her grey blue eyes at her level.

She looked startled when she tried to moved and realized she was interlocked with another body.

Minseok stepped back watching Skye’s face heat up and colour from a pale beige with little life in it, to a rosy pink that rose to the tips of her ears.

 

Quickly untangling her leg Skye gathered the blanket, snagging it from under Dongwoo. She coiled it around herself before shuffling over to Minseok at the doorway.

“It isn’t what it looks like I...umm…”

Minseok said nothing but raised a questionable eyebrow at her.

“Go get washed up, i’ll wake Mr.Jang.” Minseok smiled pleasantly, letting his suspicious facial expression dissipate.

taking her cue to leave Skye rushed from the room and dropped the blanket outside the bathroom door.

 

She looked in the mirror, leaning down briefly to splash the cold water against her skin, the beads of water dripping off her eyelashes when she looked up once again.

She and Dongwoo were guilty of nothing but the fact Minseok found them in the same bed pinched a sensitive nerve. She didn't even remember falling asleep. She knew they both talked about unimportant things. The serious conversation filled with remorse and promises fled into a healthy conversation about food they liked, and colours that clashed with their complexions.

 

Skye listened to the commotion outside which contained a lot of blurred korean and the thudding of feet running in and out of rooms. Skye wandered out of the bathroom and grabbed her trusty blanket, dragging it with her to the long lounge couch in the living room.

 

Minseok joined her, laughing to himself before he rested on the arm of a chair.

“He is about 3 hours late to work.” Minseok filled Skye in and continued to chuckle.

“That is probably my fault...we talked for a long time last night.”

“Oh? I thought you wouldn’t have been talking…” Minseok gave her a impish grin that make Skye shiver.

“Oh come on Minseok, think a little higher of me!” Skye griped.

“I’m kidding…” He jostled her back, his eye creasing with a closed lip smile.

 

“I’m leaving..have a good day-” Dongwoo paused, adjusting his tie but locking eyes with Skye.

“have a good day today” Dongwoo gave a lopsided grin before his eyes dropped to his feet and he exited his cando quickly.

She blinked but laughed at the sight she saw. His hair was messy atop of his head and his tie was sideways. His shirt was untucked from his dress pants and his sleeves weren’t properly cuffed. Oh was she ever sure now that he wasn’t a stuffy CEO, in fact she questioned how he ever could be a CEO of such a large influential company.

 

“Not sure how he is going to explain his appearance.” Minseok moved towards the kitchen to unpack the groceries. Skye stayed quiet...she was frankly still embarrassed.

“So...what did you talk about?” Minseok asked sweetly, his eyes remaining on his task at hand.

“Our encounter...my life before I was in Korea...his favourite foods, my favourite colour, if dogs think in english…”

“What?” Minseok coughed and looked at her questionably.

“It was a really long and confusing conversation...I guess we were just trying to get to know one another. He crawled into bed because he couldn't stop musing over what my life was like before he met me.” Skye leaned on the back of the couch to face Minseok.

 

Skye couldn’t stand to watch him fuss over the groceries alone so she joined him, helping where she could.

“Hey Skye…”

“Yes?” Skye looked back at him over her shoulder while finding room in Dongwoo’s very organized fridge.

“Would you be my date?” Minseok leaned back against the counter and looked at her.

“Me but ...I…”

“I just don’t want to go alone. Jongdae is throwing a party tonight after closing hours. It’s classy and he throws good parties if I recall but, I just moved back and I...I thought maybe you wanted to get out and accompany me?” Minseok rubbed his hands together nervously waiting for Skye’s response. She felt her heart pound for Minseok. He was worried about being judged and more than anything Skye was sure she was scared to face Jongdae alone in a party setting. Those two seemed to have a long history form how she read their body language yesterday.

“Sure I’ll be your date...will Dongwoo mind if I go?” Skye asked honestly because he of course was housing her.

“N’awh, he is really easy going. Thanks Skye” Minseok grinned from ear to ear, obviously relieved.

“Oh...but remember the dress we bought?” Minseok tacked on before folding the cardboard box up.

“Yeah?”

“Wear that tonight, Jongdae throws really...classy parties” Minseok continued to smile and Skye nodded in agreement.

 

*~*~*~*~*

 

Nini looked over from the stove to watch Suho talk on the phone, resting her one hand on her hip and smoothing out her apron. Whatever conversation he was having he was very conflicted over it. As he hung up his eyes met hers, he jumped slightly shocked she didn't try to hide the fact she was watching him.

“Uh...Nini would you like to go out tonight?”

 

Nini thought about tossing the hot liquid over Suho and dosing him in it. She had also thought of where the closest knife was and in which drawer it called home. But Suho backed out quickly before she could follow through with her plans.

“Not as a date.. I meant to come out with me, remember Jongdae, the one with the two cooks and the annoying voice of his?” Suho rolled his eyes recalling Jongdae interrupting their lunch.

“of course, he was funny...why?” Nini felt the need to add that she thought Jongdae was funny to irk Suho.

“Well he is throwing an after hours party in the cafe. It a formal party and I don’t want to show up alone and it would give you a night on the town.” Suho grinned kindly.

 

Nini mulled it over but the thought of being with her attractive...pleasant looking landlord all night didn’t sit well with her. She needed extra padding and knew two people who looked like they would fit perfectly into a party scene.

“Can I invited Donghae and Eunhyuk?” Nini looked at him with bright eyes.

“Sure, those two are good guys” Suho didn’t argue her suggestion which left her relieved.

 

*~*~*~*~*

 

“Do I look okay?” Donghae asked outside Nini’s door, motioning to his attire. Eunhyuk smiled and leaned against the door.

“Best looking out of the two of us” Eunhyuk gave his shoulder a tight squeeze before knocking on the door.  Donghae smiled back at his best friend and partner. Who knew that flirting with a girl and getting slammed against a wall would make their relationship eminently better.

 

“Hey guys, come in” Nini answered the door in a silver dress that slinked down her petite frame. Both Eunhyuk and Donghae’s jaws dropped. Nini chuckled and flipped her curls over her shoulder, leading them inside.

 

“We brought wine, since we are early Donghae and I will pay for a cab so we can drink before the party.” Eunhyuk grinned widely exposing his gums and pulling the wine bottle from behind him.

“You brought the wine, I’ll pay the cab fare.” Suho smiled at both of the older men, his eyes falling to Nini as she walked back over with 4 wine glasses.

“Shall we?” Nini grinned, handing Donghae the corkscrew.

Donghae let Eunhyuk hold the bottle as he removed the screw, giving him the honour of pouring the glasses. The clink of the glasses rung in Nini’s mind bringing her back to the time when she and Kyuhyun opened a bottle of red and drank the night into a beautiful bliss of love. Gritting her teeth as she raised the wine to she tried to numb herself out. Absorbing the atmosphere these three men were giving off.

 

Let the night begin.

 

*~*~*~*~*

 

Kyuhyun fiddled with his bowtie and looked up at the porch light. What was taking so long...

and as if he had said it out loud Seohyun opened the door stepping out on the step beside him. She was clothed in a simile red dress and some gold jewelry and Kyuhyun had to remind himself that this was the same little girl he grew up with. She was definitely in the prime of her game but she was still Seohyun, she was like his sister.

Kyuhyun opened the cab door for Seohyun ushering her in first.

“Thank you for being my date tonight.” Seohyun smiled and rubbed Kyuhyun’s arm beside her.

“I’m merely escorting you, Don’t worry about it.” Kyuhyun smiled back at her, placing his hand over his on his arm. Just enjoy yourself Cho Kyuhyun.

 

*~*~*~*~*

 

Minseok opened the door for Skye, both of them being engulfed in a dim but warm light once they stepped into the cafe.

“Minseok!” Skye chuckled over the cheery tone in Jongdae’s voice when he called Minseok.

“Seems like your friend has a radar for you.” Skye smiled and walked towards Jongdae.

“He has that habit always has.” Minseok added on as Jongdae approached.

“You look great Skye, you too Minseok” Jongdae’s eyes fell on him, drinking in the view before him. Skye blushed for Minseok, just watching the two made her feel like she was spying on a much more private conversation. Feeling herself back away, Skye bumped into a shorter boy with big round eyes and another with an earnest smile and tanned skin.

 

“Feeling unwelcome with the love birds?” The tanned boy jostled Skye.

“a bit” She laughed awkwardly, finding herself facing two new faces.

“I’m Kyungsoo, this sarcastic moron is Jongin.” They both bowed before Jongin could retaliate and swat at Kyungsoo.

“I’m Skye,”

 

Skye enjoyed how welcoming the two boys were to her and shooed Minseok away when he looked around worriedly for her.

“I’m just relieved that Minseok actually showed up, guess you are to thank?” Jongin piped again.

“I guess so, he didn’t want to come alone.” Skye shrugged with a smile on her face.

“Well Jongdae will more than likely eat up his night, why don’t you join us?” Kyungsoo smiled and there was no way Skye could resist his chubby cheeks and sweet demeanor.

 

As more people filtered in the aura in the cafe grew. Skye was truly enjoying herself, doing a shot with both Kyungsoo and Jongin while Minseok and Jongdae caught up. Just as predicted, those two hadn’t broken eye contact since Minseok and her entered the cafe. The duo of Jongin and Kyungsoo on the other hand were quite entertaining but she felt more like a tag along than if she was actually attending. Thinking back to last night and how Dongwoo lit up, this seemed like a good place to lure him to. Perhaps he needed some pointless socializing and deafening music. Maybe she just wanted to be around him, she was drawn to whoever he was. It was confusing to her but there was no shame in inviting the man who housed her and saved her life, to a party.

“I’ll be right back.” Skye got up and excused herself from the front counter turned bar.

 

“Minseok” Jongdae looked up at Skye first before Minseok faced her.

“yes?”

“Can I borrow your phone?” Skye grinned, layering on the sugar hoping he would ask no questions. She was 85% convinced if Minseok knew Skye was going to try and convince Dongwoo to leave work earlier than expect he would stop her.

“Sure.” Minseok dug in his jacket pocket and retrieved his phone, handing it over willingly.

 

*~*~*~*~*

 

Dongwoo looked at the phone on his desk that flashed Minseok’s name on the display. Dongwoo heart staled as he snatched the phone and pressed it to his ear.

“Hello?” Dongwoo voice sounded more urgent than he was hoping for.

“Hey!”

“Skye?”

“Yeah...umm what are you doing at the moment.”

“Just finishing up work why? and wait...why do you have Minseok’s phone?” Dongwoo shook his head at the girl on the other end of the phone.

“Why don’t come to where we are? It’s a party, and don’t worry you will fit in with a suit.” Skye’s enthusiasm could be felt through the phone.

“Why do you want me to join?”

“Because I don’t want to enjoy the party alone.” Skye wasn't sure how to convince Dongwoo to come to where they were.

“What about Minseok?”

“He is with an old friend...please?” Skye felt desperate but she was being honest. She wanted Dongwoo to come out and enjoy the night in Seoul as much as her. They deserved it.

“ok, alright I’ll come.”

“really?”

“yes, text me the address ok?”

“alright! I’ll see you soon?” Skye couldn't help the raise in her voice. It had actually worked and he had agreed. At least once he arrived she would have her own acquaintance to be paired with.

“Yes, I’ll see you soon. ok?”

“bye”

“bye…” Dongwoo pulled the phone away, hanging up and setting it down. His hands worked fast over the desk to clear things up.

 

“Wow has it ever been a long time since I’ve seen that smile.” Hoya leaned in the doorway observing his friend.

“It has been a long time since I felt like this.” Dongwoo responded, not worried about how vague he was being.

“It’s nice to see. I guess you are leaving?” Hoya raised his eyebrow at Dongwoo who just nodded before stepping towards him.

“What on earth could possibly be making you this happy?”

“Just a sudden turn of events and some much needed karma.” Dongwoo patted Hoya’s shoulder.

“I’ll be leaving.” He grinned and headed towards the elevators, looking down at a text with an address.

 

*~*~*~*~*

 

Suho opened the door and was overwhelmed by the large crowd. Linking arms with Nini he led them through the crowd to where Jongdae was sitting. Eunhyuk and Donghae following at their tails. He felt it was necessary to introduce his guests to the pain in the host who invited him.

“Jong-Minseok?!” Suho went to speak but found himself stunned and standing face to face with a friend that had been gone for several years.

“Hi Suho” the man Suho referred to as Minseok smiled brightly, looking around him to bow his head to Nini, Eunhyuk and Donghae.

Suho shook his head, not fully comprehending Minseok’s presence.

“Jongdae, this is Eunhyuk and Donghae...they are Nini’s friends. Eunhyuk, Donghae and Nini, these are my friends Jongdae and Minseok, who I had no idea was back from China.”

“Nice to meet you” Nini spoke first, wanting to clear the awkwardness.

“nice to meet you all as well, and Nini again.” Jongdae grinned and directed the two men to where the bar was.

 

“I somehow knew you would bring Nini along as company.” Jongdae smirked and nudged Suho.

“It’s good to see you again.” Jongdae smiled at her.

“It’s good to see you again as well.” Nini leaned into Suho further as people crowded around them.

 

*~*~*~*~*

Dongwoo walked in, his eyes scanning the room for the short blonde. He muscled his way past people when he got a glimpse of her hair. He was excited to be out, it was a nice change of scenery. Between the office and his condo, Dongwoo didn’t see much. Dongwoo wasn’t confused why he wanted to be around Skye. He knew that he enjoyed how she acted with him because she was natural and didn’t try and get him to do things because she knew his past. She genuinely wanted him around.

Though this morning came off as awkward it was the best sleep he had in months.

 

He should have saw it coming but he didn’t because his thoughts were elsewhere. He had a tendency to slip and he was moving through a crowd of people with alcoholic beverages. Dongwoo felt his shoe slide from under him and Skye spotted him last minute, rushing to keep him standing but with her pull, she sent herself tumbling backwards.

 

Falling back and knocking her head off someone elses, Skye was stunned. Dongwoo reached down to help her up before he heard a shrill voice speak her name.

“Skye?!”

 

Skye grabbed Dongwoo’s hands and turned around to a very familiar voice. Nini. She hadn't seen her or heard from her in two weeks.

“Nini…”

“What are-”

Skye didn't hesitate she pulled Nini into a bone crushing hug, holding her tight against her. She was relieved she had found her. She wasn't lost somewhere in Seoul, she was here. She had found her and she was no longer the only outsider.

“You are actually so stupid.” Skye spoke quietly and let her go to slap her arm.

“Why are you here?”

“Looking for you and did you think you would have all the fun?”

 

Dongwoo and Suho looked at their respective dates with curious eyes then to one another.

Nini. Dongwoo rolled the name over his tongue, finally remembering that was the name of the friends searching for her boyfriend.

Suho tried to think of who Skye could be. Piecing together how she hugged her tightly, Suho had a mild guess this was the friend who was dating her ex boyfriend’s best friend.

 

“Nini….Skye!?” Another man’s voice spoke their names from across the room. Skye, Dongwoo, Nini and Suho all looked in the direction the voice came from. The man was standing behind a girl in a red dress. His jaw was clenched tight and his eyes were wide. The colour in his face missing as if he had seen two ghosts.

 

Cho Kyuhyun” Nini spoke quietly.

Cho Kyuhyun, the ex. Suho took a step closer to her.

Cho Kyuhyun, Dongwoo was sold this was the boyfriend Skye referred to by how Nini spoke his name.

Damn it Mr. Cho, Skye hissed under her breath.




 

 



 


 

AN/

This chapter was a holy marathon and there are parts I can't explain how much I love. The entire morning sequence with Suho and Nini makes me smile.

Dongwoo's shy behaviour when looking at Skye in the monring makes me DYE (haha...no...no one gets it ok)

EUNHAE OUTSIDE NINI'S DOOR *merp*

kaisoo has their little moment

(I dislike writing Seokyu omfg)  Awh look at Kyuhyun acting all brotherly to Seohyun.

how can we not love Xiuchen in this, precious souls.

and YAY NINI AND SKYE MET AGAIN BUT ALSO...KYUHYUN TOO!

I smell danger and drama.

 

Look out for the next chapter with again, /minor/ eunhae, seokyu, dye, junni, xiuchen and a special guest.

but for now ~

~Love Authornim Skye