CH 13: Lost, Found and Confused

Damn It Mr.Cho *PAUSED*

 

CH 13: Lost, Found and Confused


 

Skye found herself shivering as the dark clouds opened up over Seoul. The raindrops bounced off her cheeks as she squinted, trying to make out street names. She knew she should have made a plan on what she was going to do when she got to Seoul but her blind ambition of finding Nini and running from Changmin had left her lost in Seoul with no resources. Her phone wouldn’t turn on because of water damage and the longer she stayed outside the later it got and the colder she became. Of all the things Skye could imagine herself doing, running off to Seoul was not one of them. She felt helpless and scared and her limited knowledge of the language made her feel even less secure.  Looking for a dry step to sit on and a place to reel her thoughts together, Skye scurried over to the small corner store with a dim light on over the door. With a sigh she sat, wrapping her arms around herself tightly rocking back and forth on the step. She had no idea how to get out of the situation she was in or where the closest hotel was. Even if she found one it was late and most don’t take late night check ins. Letting a choked sob erupt from the back of she dropped her head between her knees. I’m lost.

For Skye there were two types of lost. There is one where a person is physically disoriented in an unfamiliar place of the world. They must ask for directions to find their way again, or turn around and head back the way they originally came from. The second is when a person can no longer establish where they are emotionally or mentally. They may still have ambitions in life but they have lost the ability to establish a path to follow. They can no longer distinguish their emotions and in the end feel helpless and numb.

Skye was both.

She had put her energy in school and a relationship with Changmin, now she had neither. She was in an unfamiliar country and city, with no connections. She couldn’t see street signs properly and had no resources such as a map. She gasped for air when she noticed she had been holding her breath and closed her eyes.

“Why did I come here?” Skye whispered softly to the empty air.

“What is the point of my life if I keep walking in circles? Always ending up hurt or used or confused. Always getting lost...” She knew she was talking to no one but herself but Skye felt herself retreating into a very dark hole and succumbing to her inner thoughts. She knew fully well it was unhealthy to do so, but the longer she left herself out in the cold rain the looser her grip on herself became. No matter how much she tried to build herself up and feel confident, inside she was a small girl. One with eyes filled with wonder and curiosity. She wanted to go outside of these walls, but without her walls she was just a little girl. A little girl with no protection.

The screeching of tires on pavement jerked Skye out of the depths of her mind, only to become blinded by headlights. Feeling her heart stop she scrambled her legs to push her backwards but she found herself pinned against a wall.  She hadn’t heard the traffic, she hadn’t heard the horns, she forget about her surroundings and she cursed herself for doing so. Taking a sharp breath she shut her eyes to face the outcome.

For the first time in her life she prayed, she didn’t want to die. She didn’t know why her life had led her in such circles until she finally broke them and ended up in a new country. All this considered she still didn’t want to die.

If I live I will live fully, I won’t question my existence…I will follow where ever this journey leads me, I don’t want to die.

She meant it. She felt guilty for hurting herself and asking why she was alive or why her life unravelled the way it did. When she was forced to face the headlights and smell the burning rubber Skye realized her life mattered. She mattered, maybe not to anyone, maybe only to herself but she mattered.

Please…let me live.

As if an angel was sent to protect her she felt her body being scooped up off the cold cement and into a warm hold. Her hands were numb and she tried fumbling to find what was holding her, but couldn’t.

“It’s ok” Skye froze hearing someone’s voice. It was low and no louder than a whisper.

“You are ok” Skye stopped resisting the mysterious hold and collapsed, becoming limp and giving into the exhaustion that ravaged her body. She was scared, tired and cold. She kept her eyes shut because she was scared. She wasn’t quite aware of what she was scared of but her heart said ‘don’t look...don’t look yet’. Her heart slowed and the warmth resting against her side soothed her. It only took a few fleeting seconds for ease to wash over her. The voice kept whispering, lulling her into a dreamlike state.

I’m ok.

Skye exhaled, her cheek pressed to the warmth.

*~*~*~*~*

Everything was dark. She didn’t bother trying to open her eyes, but she listened closely. A door opened and shut behind her. She didn’t hear any lights flick on but she was still moving. Another door opened. She heard shoes clattering on a tile floor. Her body position changed and the warmth was moving away from her. The warmth was replaced by cold porcelain under her thighs, though the shocking cold begged her to sit straight her frame slumped over. She didn’t have the energy to hold herself up right. Keeping her eyes shut she felt hands ghosting over her body. For the first time since she was blinded by the headlights she felt a human form. The hands gripped her sweater and tugged it over her head, the chilled grazed over her skin.

She heard a tap turn water on. A shower began to spring to life. The distinctive water pelting the tile base. The hands returned, this time hooking under her arms and moving her to a standing position.

“I can’t stand…I-“Skye tried to talk, her voice was hoarse and cracked when she did.

“Its ok” The same soft voice returned to her ears and the hands gently tugged off her soaking wet jeans. They dropped to the floor in a heap. Skye felt her entire body being kissed with cold air. Quicker than expected, she found both of her undergarments were removed but she trusted the soothing voice.

Being lifted once again she felt a different water fall against her skin. The heated water drizzled over her body, the warm clothed body didn’t set her down. She could feel the water seeping through the other person’s clothes as they held her close but they repeated over again that it was ok. It’s ok.

“are you an angel?” Skye forced her eyes open. She couldn’t face the reality that someone had saved her from the car that swerved off the road but also took her in. They were also trying to warm her, make sure she wouldn’t get sick. She had prayed to live and she was alive, she was sure of it. So the person cradling her defiantly had to be an angel.

When her eyes finally opened, they only saw darkness. There were faint outlines of facial features but not enough to make out the person who had her in their arms as the water rushed over her body.

“No, are you?” Skye was stunned by the answer but remained silent.

No…I haven’t saved anyone.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*

Nini brushed her teeth looking at her complexion in the mirror. Recalling today’s events she chuckled. Her morning started off with a day dream she rather forget, it felt like a bruise you would have on your arm, and everyone pokes it and asks if it hurts. Every time she thought of the early morning day dream it was just another finger jabbing at her bruised heart.

Her day dream was followed up by an unexpected meeting with her petite and talkative neighbour Ryeowook and his even sweeter girlfriend Sunyoung. To cap everything off she almost beat up her land lord who was not a wrinkled old man. He was a very youthful and well-mannered young man, and the more Nini thought about Suho the more she couldn’t wrap her head around it. How on earth was he her landlord? He was supposed to be off on a yacht sipping on champagne and having multiple girls in bikinis dangling off his arms. He was not supposed to be buying groceries for someone he has never met or asking them out for lunch because her friends cancelled.

She was happy he did though because it was nice to get some fresh air and eat.

 

 

“So you said you know someone who works here?” Nini looked up at Suho curiously. He wasn’t too much taller than her but it was enough for her to tilt her head slightly.

“Yeah I do, but if we are lucky he won’t be working.” Suho chuckled lightly as he reached forward to open the café door.

“Why thank you” Nini chuckled light heartedly and walked inside the some urban café with green light fixtures and dark stained wood furniture.

“They make the best ice coffee” Suho smiled at Nini and ushered her over to a small booth on the far side of the café.

“Hey Suho!” A tanned boy with reddish black hair waved from behind the counter and Nini could only raise an eyebrow back at Suho.

“Don’t only your friends call you Suho?”

“uh—yeah well” Suho chuckled nervously. “I know more than just one worker, but I meant a close friend. Jongin is just a kid that my friend took in and gave him a job. He is a good kid, the worst he does is harass the pastry chef Kyungsoo.” Suho giggled, and as if they heard what he had said the boy identified as Jongin scooped whip cream on his finger and tapped it on the young chefs nose. Nini giggled under her breath.

“This is the menu” Suho picked up a small booklet and handed it to Nini with a brilliant grin on his face. Nini smiled back taking the booklet from his hands and scanning through the various food items. Truthfully she was hungry, even if she had just eaten breakfast not long ago.

“You already know what you’re having?” Nini pulled her eyes up from the menu to look at a very relaxed Suho.

“I’ll just let Jongin pick. I like everything they cook here.” Suho gave his signature smile to Nini, she continued to browse he menu till a certain voice entered her ears.

She couldn’t understand it but it sounded familiar. Nini craned her head to see the other booth as three men stood up to leave. It was the brunette that the voice belonged to and for a brief second Nini thought she may have found Kyuhyun again. It was a hopeless thought but she couldn’t push it out of her mind. Leaning over in her seat she desperately attempted to see the chestnut haired man’s face. She would have too if it was for a man with big ears and square jawline that bounded in front of their table.

“Hi! I’m Jongdae, owner and manager of this fine establishment, and you are?” Nini politely looked up at the man with dark brown hair.

“Oh god…” Suho groaned in his seat and the man who introduced himself as Jongdae. Nini eyed Suho and then smiled back at Jongdae brightly.

“Nini, Nini Nguyen” Jongdae slipped his fingers delicately under her palm and lifted the flat of her hand to his lips.

“Nice to meet you.” Jongdae gave her a lopsided grin, turning on his charm.

“Jongdae is slightly obnoxious and also my best friend” Suho finally spoke up, speaking from between the cracks of his fingers with his hand covering his face. Jongdae shot Suho a glare and shimmied his way into the booth seat beside his best friend.

“Hyung that is no way to introduce me to your girlfriend”

“What!?” Nini jerked up straight in her seat, her shoulder hooking under Kyungsoo’s elbow sending stuffed crème pastries over the young chef.

The boy stood at the head of the table stunned, his large brown eyes bludging from their sockets while Jongin came to his aid.

“mmm… sweet” Jongin grinned, running his finger on Kyungsoo’s cheek to taste the crème filling.

“I am so sorry, I’ll pay for those, I…”

“It’s okay, they were on the house anyways, you looked like you liked sweets” Kyungsoo chuckled bending down to pick up the scattered pastries. Nini felt a flush brush stain her cheeks as she studied her hands folded on the table.

“Nini and I aren’t dating, in fact we just met…right Nini?” Suho’s voice remained calm, speaking in such a casual tone Nini felt embarrassed for over reacting.

“Yeah, I’m his new tenant” Nini found the gumption to look up and face both Suho and Jongdae again.

“I am really sorry about the pastries.” Nini added nibbling on her bottom lip.

“Don’t worry, they aren’t on the menu. Kyungsoo is what I like to call a free spirit. He cooks what he likes when he likes. Of course he fills orders but he does tend to venture off during our less busy hours to make pastries, or paper cranes.” Jongdae mused, his eyes watching his two workers shoving each other while setting out plates and filling orders.

Jongdae continued to engage Suho in some sort of small talk but Suho’s eyes remained on Nini. He was trying to figure out why she was so fidgety. Her eyes constantly scanned the café, and she continually looked over her shoulder out the window.

Suho tried to remember his phone call with Changmin, Ryeowook’s friend who was in Canada.

“Yes the apartment is available.”

“It is well suited for a young female, is it comfortable?”

“Well…I think it’s comfortable, it used to be my own personal residence”

“She is not too independent yet, will it accommodate her effortlessly?”

“There are small grocers all along the neighbouring street. It has a full kitchen and bath. It is very livable.”

“I’ll take it then, she will be there in several hours.”

To Suho, she seemed very much independent and was reluctant to give in and let people help her. He was happy he had stocked up the fridge though. Nini was very new to the city and knowing he helped out a young woman like her made him smile. He had originally stocked it up so he had an apartment to run to if he ever felt like avoiding his roommates. Within several hours’ notice his getaway turned into her humble abode.

“Hyung! Are you even listening?”

“What did you say Jongdae?”

“I said there was a big shock for Solixir Cooperate.” Jongdae sighed, leaning the weight of his head in his palm.

“What’s Solixir Cooperate?” Nini piped up, sneaking herself into the conversation.

“One of Korea’s biggest Organic health product suppliers.”

“So what’s is the big deal?” Nini didn’t quite understand what was so important about this company, or why it concerned Jongdae.

“Well the CEO’s parents recently died, since then he has been letting the company fall apart, they aren’ t meeting deadlines, they aren’t satisfying customers. It’s huge for a lot of small practices. The rumour is that Wu Enterprise offered a large bid to take over the establishment.” Nini blinked trying to see where the conversation was leading.

“What does Min think about it?” Suho asked, his forehead creased in deep lines. Nini’s lips twisted downwards seeing the youthful man grimace. Leaning forward she ran her finger tips over his forehead to smooth it out.

“You look like an Ahjussi” She whispered before rocking back into her seat. Suho’s face dropped in shock but waited for Jongdae’s answer.

“ I talked to Min a couple days ago, he thinks they may fold and sell to Wu Enterprise…the CEO just hasn’t been, passionate.” Jongdae let out a huge sigh that filled the entire café. Which looking around now Nini realized it was empty.

“What’s so bad about-“ Nini cut herself mid-sentence as Suho’s phone rang loudly. Suho slid his phone out of his pocket and glanced at the number. With a slow roll of his eyes he answered the phone call begrudgingly.

“Omma…”

Jongdae began laughing beside him and Suho pulled the phone away from his ear.

“You’re mother still has her spirit that’s for sure.” Jongdae snickered only to be answered by a very loud woman on the small smart phone.

“Jongdae-ah??!! Why haven’t you visited with Junnie? You must come see me okay??”

“Ne Ahjumma” Jongdae dropped his head and it was now Nini’s turn to laugh.

“Junnie are you with a girl? You didn’t tell me!!! All of you come tonight, I will cook a special meal…alright?” Suho looked sympathetically at both Jongdae and Nini. With a shrug Nini nodded her head. She had no agenda so a home cooked meal was very much welcomed.

“Ne Omma” Suho responded before saying goodbye and that he would see her soon.

“Mothers…”

Nini splashed the cupped water in her hands over her face and chuckled over their dinner. Suho’s mother was a sweet lady with a quick tongue. She absolutely ran the household with him and his father and was overall very pleasing. She attached herself to Nini like a leech. Asking her how long she had been in Seoul, where she was from, her schooling, any random question you could think of to ask a stranger Mrs.Kim asked. Jongdae was more than happy to stuff his cheeks full with food he didn’t have to cook himself and discussed the news with Mr.Kim. Suho on the other hand seemed a bit uneasy with the entire dinner. When he dropped Nini off she insisted that she had a good day and he should just relax. Suho gave her a faint smile and nodded before driving off.  She hoped that she would see the young landlord soon because he made for comfortable company. Having someone and looking for Kyuhyun was better than being alone and focusing on the empty space in her heart.

Crawling into the comfort of the pillow spread on the bed Nini sighed silently wishing that Kyuhyun was thinking of her as well. She refused to live with the idea that he may have already found a new girl. One who lived here, was prettier, and smarter.

“Damn it Mr.Cho, why can’t I just run into like I did the first time.” Nini smiled, her cheek pressed into the pillow as she drifted off thinking of how his sweater had felt against his firm chest when she spun and fell into, and for her teacher.

*~*~*~*~*

Kyuhyun laid on his bed, his eyes fixated on the light on the ceiling. He should never have left Canada, but he had no choice. Without the job he would have to come back and get a new contract teaching. He was embarrassed for getting fired, but it meant she could still go to school. He knew that his actions forced him away from her but it allowed her life to continue on. He couldn’t afford to hold her back. He had known better, and he should have thought of the consequences before going through with his actions. It was because of his actions he lost her.

He knew making Changmin swear to secrecy would cause Nini some sort of pain, but it was better if it was a clean cut. No if’s, and’s, or but’s. He was there and now he wasn’t. She could take a step forward into a new direction.

But he missed her hands and how they fit perfectly in his and her fingers that slide between so effortlessly.

He missed her lips that stopped him from shaking if he got chilled at night.

He missed her voice whispering his name early in the morning.

Who are you now Kyuhyun. He was a man without a job, without a woman and he wasn’t aging backwards…just forward at a pace he wished would slow down. Everything he liked about himself seemed irrelevant because he could only see the things he hated about himself. They were the same things that Nini tried to help heal. The way she would cup his face and kiss his lips if he complained about his complexion. The way she would tousle his hair if he said he didn’t look good that day.  Everything he hated, she loved more. It made looking himself in the mirror a little easier every day. He hoped that he was the only one she ever did this to but how could he wish for that when he left her to move on in her life without him.

*~*~*~*~*

Suho slumped down on his couch and let his body mold to the furniture.

“Hyung-“

Suho gasped, turning his head to look at the boy with reddish black hair that sat messily atop his head.

“Jongin…”

“are you ok?” Jongin walked over taking up a seat beside Suho on the couch. He looked intently at the elder whose forehead was crinkled with frown lines.

“I’m just…mystified.” Suho let out a deep breath of air, his chest falling heavily as the wind gushed from him.

Jongin had been living with Suho for quite some time now, both him and Kyungsoo have. Out of all the times he had come home from doing apartment rounds and checking tenants into a new place he had never looked so drawn out.

“What’s confusing you?” Jongin tilted his head to the side. Though the boy was the same age as Nini, he looked years younger acting like this. His y aura that he casted over himself like a veil was dropped and instead he was a boy. A young boy sincerely concerned for his friend.

“Nini….the girl I was having lunch with, I’m just confused.” Jongin sighed, he had a feeling that the stress lines that disturbed Suho’s generally flawless pale complexion were caused by her.

“What about her?”

“She is pretty, very petty. She also hit it off with my mom… but how can all of this happen in a day?” Suho groaned, his mind riddled with too many thoughts to think straight.

“Suho Hyung-“ Suho attention turned to Jongin beside him.

“Have you never liked a girl?” Jongin held back the laughter that bubbled inside of him as Suho’s face changed dramatically, his mind absorbing what Jongin just implied.

“yes I have! And I don’t like her, I just met her…why would you-it’s just…whenever I liked  agirl I liked them first and they never like me back, but-nevermind that I still don’t like her.” Suho ruffled his hair frustrated with the oh too smart Jongin.

“Well that’s rude, I mean...you spent the entire day with her and you don’t like her.” Jongin scoffed and Suho could feel his blood beginning to boil.

“that’s not what I meant..I meant I don’t like her like her.”

“You said ‘like her like her’” Jongin bursted into a tremendous fit of laughter, forcing himself to topple from the couch.

Suho huffed, getting up from the couch and glowering down at Jongin.

“Is it impossible for you to have a mature conversation with me for more than a minute?!” Suho shouted, his steam rising like an angry grandfather who is confused by new technology and why things weren’t like the olden days anymore.

“Uhhh…Did I miss something?” Kyungsoo walked out of the hallway raising an eyebrow at the commotion. Suho was towering over Jongin, which was a new turn of events. Jongin on the other hand was clutching his stomach and writhing in pain on the ground from laughing too hard.

“No, just Jongin being immature like always” Suho spun to look at Kyungsoo and proceeded to storm by him and shut his bedroom tight.

“Should I even ask what you said to him?” Kyungsoo glared down at Jongin who had managed to sit up straight on the ground. Shaking his head Jongin smirked playfully.

“I’m stuck in a house of idiots” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and walked back to the bathroom to rinse off his toothbrush that was hanging from his mouth.

*~*~*~*~*

Skye’s body ached. She cringed when she flinched and tried to sit up in bed.

Bed?

She rubbed her eyes and forced herself into a sitting position. She was in a bed, and a spacious one at that. The room was luxurious and white. The bed sheet was adorned in a pattern of navy blue, mocking the look of the ancient paintings displayed on porcelain during the Joseon dynasty. She ran her hands over the soft blanket and nestled her back deeper into the multiple pillows behind her. The floorboards were a pale ash wood and against the walls rested book shelves accompanied by large navy chair in the corner. It was accommodating and bright from the light that seeped in through the large floor length windows. The room seemed to be hovering in an ocean of light. Yet despite the overwhelming beauty and simplicity of the expertly designed and accessorised room, it felt…empty. No one was living in this room. It was obvious for the way the books of the shelves were organized, all in a line and not a hairline shifted out of place.

Skye still mulled over what she was looking at but a pressing question repeated itself over in her mind, Who saved her? She knew she was saved because she remembered the blinding lights, the soothing voice and the warmth of a body, lingering hands and hot water. Thinking of the hot shower her cheeks burned. She had been in her saviour’s arms last night. Tossing the sheets off her body with the adrenaline coursing through her veins she gulped constricting tight. Squeezing her eyes shut to face one of her worst fears, she could only pray that she had not been . Shock and relief washed over her as she was covered in a loose white t-shirt and overly baggy and long pajama pants.

“What the…” Skye spoke out loud, feeling the need to hear her own voice.

“Miss-“ Skye jumped in her skin, her eyes jerking up to the doorway.

A small framed man with mouse brown hair stood with a tray in his hands. His voice didn’t match the one from last night so now she was left to figure out who the pleasant looking stranger was.

“Hi.” Skye swallowed curtly, her lashes batting at a rapid speed.

“Good morning” Taking her response as an invite he walked further into the room, carrying the tray with him.

“I’m sorry who-“

“I’m Minseok, uh…well instead of explaining I will let you read this first. It should clear things up.” The man who introduced himself as Minseok extended his hand to her, a small letter was pinched between his fingers and he taunted her to grab it.

Skye nodded and removed the slip of paper from Minseok’s petite hand, unfolding it quickly to read the surprisingly neat handwriting.

 

Dear Angel,

I’m sorry we couldn’t formally introduce ourselves last night but I promise I will introduce myself when I see you tonight. Minseok, the man who has handed you the letter is the house keeper. He cleans and cooks in the condo. Please don’t assume I am a stuck up man because of Minseok’s occupation. He will also aid you and look after you today. Please enjoy your day with him, that is if you feel well enough to venture out. Again, I didn’t know how to address you so I hope you don’t mind the pet name.

See you tonight,

~ DW

She smiled and folded the letter, anticipating meeting the mysterious man who scooped her up off the sidewalk and carried her home.  Her heart also fluttered realizing she would face him after he had seen her body. It had been dark, and she hadn’t seen his face so maybe he didn’t see her body…then again his eyes ahad probably adjusted.

 Letting out a sigh she looked up to face Minseok.

“So you are my babysitter huh?”

“Ahhh, don’t take away my pride, I’m merely here so you aren’t alone and to clean and make sure you are ok. Besides we have some errands to run” Minseok grinned like a giddy child.

“What kind of plans?” Skye crossed her arms across her chest, not liking that she was already being told and directed at what to do.

“Don’t worry, just eat up and toss on your dried clothes that I folded on the chair.” Minseok raised his eyebrows and looked over to the small pile of clothes from last night before exiting the room.

What kind of person saved her, or got their house keeper to look after a complete stranger and assigned errands to them to top it off.

“Who are you DW?” Her mind drifted thinking about the possibilities. He was obviously wealthy, and employed. He could afford a housekeeper and apparently didn’t cook. He struck her was friendly from the tone of his letter and how Minseok seemed to enjoy working for him. She had to add, he was kind hearted because he did save her life.

Her eyes shifted from the note on the bed to the steaming plates on the tray.

Tonight. She just had to make it to tonight for her questions to be answered.

Who is DW?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


AN/

So I got a bt to say about this chapter. 

First off I wish I could have made Skye's near death experience a little more emotional but there will be a 'Preface' chapter that will give a bit of backstory to 'DW' and be written form his perspective =. Hopefully that preface will allow me to express a lot of emotions.Since DW and Skye's meet is pretty heavy and dramatic for both.

Secondly, JONGDAE!!!! and Kaisoo :3 (so sorry I mean my ship needed to be in here and with EXO it's too fun) Anyways hope you enjoy Jongdae cause he will be back!!! 

Notice Min = Minseok (if you didnt catch that)

Hrm also...THAT WAS CHO KYUHYUN in the cafe, so close but so far :/

So yeah, please prepare yourself for a sensitive 'Preface' and more chapters to come!!!

Love,

~Authornim Skye