Their Meeting

The Deaf and The Mute

"So, from now on, you'll study the sign language. I'll do it too as well, but since i have to work, i just take a Sunday class", his mom said as she dropped him off to his new school. Not an ordinary school, but super extraordinary school. Yeah, he went to where the deaf & mute people study. They study everything just like normal people do, but here they also learn the sign language.

"Don't be afraid. After you understand this sign language, you can go to the university for people like you", she said a little sarcasm. Well, actually she was a bit angry at him, for his stupid fault which made him like this. He just nodded then went into the school.

"Haneul-ssi, we have a new student here. This is his data. He is a little...different from your other student", the principal said to Haneul, one of the best teacher there. What do you mean?, Haneul asked while playing his hands skillfully.

"Well, he.......................", Mrs. Kim told her about the new student story. Haneul was hearing her carefully.

"Well, this is your teacher here. She is Ms. Kim, Kim Haneul", Mrs. Kim was introduced Haneul to the new student, but she just got his nod as the response, "Okay, you can starts study from now", then Mrs. Kim left them but before she reach the door, she whispered to Haneul, "Good luck".

The two of them was in a small class. There were a pair of chair and table, a vase with a bunch of pretty flowers, then a white board and markers. Haneul began to write something.

So, what's your name?, then she looked at him, Seems you are older than me. How should i call you then, she wrote again. But the guy wasn't gave any attention. He was busy to drew something randomly. Haneul inhaled deeply and remembered what Mrs. Kim said earlier.

"Well, he is older than you. He is 22th years old this year. May be this is a little hard for you since your student always a 5th-10th years old kid. His name is Lee Sungyeol. You can call him Sungyeol. He wasn't a deaf when he was born. But, a few months ago, he tried to save a kitten from an accident. Unfortunately, it was him who had been hit by the truck.  And since that accident, he was in coma, but when he woke up, he couldn't hear anything. He felt so frustration. Also his mother made it worst. She was being angry at him for risking his entire life and his future to a little kitten. Well, sometimes her mother was being mean, but she said she was trying to reduce it. Then, since that day, he also being mute. He doesn't want to talk to someone. But when he talks, he does it meanly. He also very very sensitive since that day. Well, he still warm with kitten. So, i think there's still a little hope"

Haneul was thinking what should she does. Then, she wrote again.

I knew your story, so, please talk to me. I'm your teacher, Sungyeol-ssi. Then she looked at Sungyeol, her student, who was froze on his seat.

"Well, my name is Sungyeol, Lee Sungyeol. And i already knew i was deaf but at least you should talk to me. You are so annoying. Do you pity me? Or Are you teasing me and thought that was useless to talk to me since i'm deaf?", he finally spoke up with a high note voice.

Lower your voice please. You talked in a high note voice. I understand about it but i know that you knew exactly if your voice was too high, right? Since you said it in anger. Well, sorry for didn't talk to you. It's not that i don't want to, but i can't. I'm mute", she wrote till the white board full of her handwriting.

"What? How can i study here then if my teacher is mute?", he said sarcastically. She picked her marker up again, cleaned the board up, and inscribed something on the board.

We should try, she smiled after wrote that one. He just sighed.