Chapter Five

Walls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

About a month and a half after discovering Taemin's name, Kai was sitting in the kitchen watching his mom make cookie dough. Kai was considering how to bring up the whole subject to his mom... he couldn't exactly say, "hey mom, I have been talking to this boy who lives in the paintings..." and so was thinking of ways to begin. As she stretched the plastic wrap over the bowl of cookie dough to put it in the fridge, and then grabbed a Sharpie to write "Sugar Cookie" on top of the plastic, something just clicked in Kai's mind. Jumping to his feet, he startled his mom and caused her to scribble across the plastic. "Mom... can I borrow your plastic wrap?" He asked, and thinking he wanted it for some random teenager thing, she handed it to him with no questions.
Good thing she didn't ask... Kai didn't think she was ready to hear the answer. Bounding up the stairs, he hit play on his ipod dock to signal to Taemin that he was in his room and then promptly started stretching the wrap over the painting. Soon Taemin's face came into view, confusion written all over his pretty features.
"Hold on, I can explain," Kai said, finished with the wrap and grabbing a marker from his desk. He quickly wrote the English alphabet onto the plastic wrap and stepped back to examine his handiwork, only to frown and rip it all off. He had covered Taemin's face. Not cool. Wrapping the painting once more, he carefully wrote the alphabet around the edges of the painting, making sure to leave his face clear this time. Taemin laughed at his careful precision but stayed put, and Kai was soon done.
Stepping back, he crossed his arms over his chest. "Well? What do you think? Now you can talk to me just by pointing, and I will write onto my board until I understand what you're saying!" He was pretty proud of his idea, but Taemin looked skeptical as he moved his hands in an odd movement left to right. "Huh? What's that mean? Spell it?" Kai scratched his head as Taemin took a long time spelling it out, but he finally got the message through. 
"B A C K W A R D S." Kai read, and then laughed. He had written the alphabet backwards to Taemin, forwards to himself. "Um... Hold on." And so once again he wrote onto a new set of plastic wrap, carefully writing a foreward and a backward version of each letter side by side. Taemin smiled at his handiwork, and quickly spelt out "S M A R T  B O Y" for Kai.
Making a face at Taemin, Kai settled back into his desk chair. "So... now that we can truly talk... How did you end up there?"
Taemin paused, then sighed and began spelling.
"T H I S W I L L T A K E A W H I L E"
Kai smiled; he figured Taemin would start out like that. "It's okay... I have all night."
Taemin shrugged; Kai's choice to spend his night like this. "O K A Y H E R E G O E S"
*  I tell him the full story, unbelievable as it may be. About how there truly is a Fae Realm and the King named Coel, and how Fae used to come into t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter