No Ordinary Love | You & Jaejoong

Quixotic

"Jaejoong!"

Kim Jaejoong woke with a start as his mother hissed his name.  He looked at her incredulously, sleep still clouding his eyes.

"What?" He croaked, his voice hoarse.

"We're coming into money!" The small woman said gleefully, her eyes twinkling.

Jaejoong sat straight up, all traces of slumber erased. "How much?"

"Two and a half million."

"Inheritance?" Jaejoong leaned forward in interest.

"No," Jaejoong's mother shook her head. "You won a drawing?"

Jaejoong raised an eyebrow. "When did I enter any drawings?"

"I entered you into one.  I didn't fit all the criteria." 

"What criteria?" Jaejoong swung his legs over the side of the bed.

His mother twiddled her fingers. "Under thirty and engaged."

"Engaged?" Jaejoong yelped. "I don't even have a girlfriend!"

"Well get one, and fast! We have to claim this money before the week is up!"

"Where am I gonna find someone that soon?"

His mom smacked at his shoulder lightly. "You want the money don't you? You're a nice looking boy.  Ask a friend.  What about my little Doll Baby?"

"Doll baby?" He frowned, running a hand through his hair. "____ ?  Junsu's cousin."

Jaejoong's mother nodded. "She's a pretty little girl, ask her."

"But I-"

"Do it!" His mother demanded, pointing a finger in his face as she backed away. "This is good money, don't let it go."

"You want me to what?" You blinked at him with a stupefied look on your face, your hand poised midway in air, frozen in it's path to deliver food to your mouth.

Jaejoong rubbed at the back of his neck. "Marry me?"

"I thought that's what you said." You took a deep breath. "Kim Jaejoong, that is the dumbest question you've ever asked."

"____ please! We only have to be engaged, we don't even have to go through with it." Jaejoong begged.

You sighed. "Jae, I-"

"I'll give you half a mil!" Jaejoong interjected quickly.

"Well howdy hubby~"

If awkward was a drug, you'd have overdosed by now.  Your 'fiancé' held onto your hand while his mother hovered behind the two of you, glancing over your shoulders. The interviewer was oblivious to the whole thing, asking the two of you questions and looking at you both like you were really a couple.

You inwardly sighed as the interview wrapped up.

"Thank you both for your time." The short, round man smiled warmly at the pair of you.

Jaejoong shook his head, smiling back for completely different reasons. "No, thank you."

The two shook hands, before the man reached for yours and Jaejoong's mother's. "The photographers and film crew should be contacting you within the next few weeks."

"Ah," You blinked. "Pardon? Contacting us?"

"Yes, we'll want to get the wedding on film of course." The old man chortled. "It's one of the prizes, the wedding will be televised."

Your face fell and Jaejoong's went blank. "TV?"

"Two point five million dollars, a luxurious five day honeymoon to Amanpulo and an hour special about your wedding on TLC." The interviewer recited. "That's everything you won."

"Can't we just keep the first two and drop the televised part?" Jaejoong asked, running his hand through his hair.

The interviewer gave a toothy grin. "No~ Of course not, silly.  They'll be contacting you soon.  Have a good afternoon!"

You and Jaejoong gaped at the man's back as he walked away.  Jaejoong's mother shrugged and shut the door behind him. "I guess this means you're getting married~"

"You?... and Kim Jaejoong?"

When you first delivered the wedding invitation to your cousin he laughed at you, not believing a word of it.  Thirty minutes later, he was just coming to realize how serious you were.  

"Why Jaejoong? Why not Changmin or Yunho or Hyukjae or Yoochun... well, maybe not Yoochun, but why Jaejoong?" Junsu's spoke so quickly that it was a struggle to grasp what he was saying.

"I just kinda fell in love with Jae." You lied uneasily.  The three of you decided not to tell anyone about the money, both to save face and avoid having to share the cash.

Junsu took a deep breath, shutting his eyes. "Okay."

"Okay?"

Junsu opened his eyes, looking at you seriously. "Is there anything I can do about this?"

"No." It was the honest truth.  There was no way out now.

Junsu nodded. "Then I'll have to deal. Can't say I didn't see this coming."

"Are we really going through with this?" You whispered to Jaejoong as you watched the movers carry the boxes of your stuff into his house. 

He glanced at you, then back at them. "It seems we are."

When all the boxes were in place, the two of you set to work unpacking and setting your things up.  It was decided you'd share a bedroom, as most married couples did.  Jaejoong's mother insisted on it, though you argued that the whole marriage was a hoax, so there was no need.  Jaejoong simply looked indifferent to the whole thing.

Eventually, after you'd complained enough, she kicked the both of you out of the house while she finished up. The two of you ventured to the playground of the apartment complex where Jaejoong tapped a beat against the metal pole supporting the slide.

You scowled, feet dragging against the soft wood chips padding the soil beneath the swing you sat on. "This is all your fault."

Jaejoong raised an eyebrow, glancing at you. "This is all my mother's fault." He corrected.

"We're getting married." You said, your nose scrunching up in disgust. "Me and you."

"We don't have to stay married for too long.  We'll get a divorce before the season is out."

You hung your head low with a sigh. "I don't even like divorces."

"Are you saying you want to stay married to me?" Jaejoong asked, amused.

Your head shot up and you whipped your gaze around to glare at him. "No!"

Jaejoong shrugged, holding his hands up in defense as a chuckle escaped his lips. "Just asking."

You pouted, glowering quietly.  The sole of Jaejoong's shoes crunched against the wood chips as he positioned himself behind you, pushing the swing gently.  Slowly the scowl left your face.

Jaejoong stilled your swing, moving his lips next to your ear. "For what it's worth, I think we'd have beautiful babies~"

"Shut up, Kim Jaejoong!"

"You look stunning." Jaejoong said as he held you close, the two of you slow dancing on the ballroom floor.

Even the sweet comment from your new husband couldn't put a genuine smile on your face, though you managed to keep a false one in place for the cameras. The only thing you could do was wonder what in the hell were you doing.

 Your mother-in-law beamed from the sidelines, thoroughly pleased with her share of the money, you assumed.  Everyone around you was thoroughly happy for you, but you definitely weren't.

Jaejoong stared at your face, studying it carefully. "We were friends before, can't we at least be pleasant now?"

"I'm sorry." You sighed. "I'm just kind of... depressed, I guess."

"That rhymed~" Jaejoong teased, before turning serious. "I don't really think it's that bad, honestly."

You kept your mouth shut.

Six months later, with the divorce papers signed and ready to be handed over to your lawyer, you still weren't happy.  Jaejoong's mother sat in the passengers' seat beside you, her arms crossed over her chest.

"Well?" She prodded. "Are you going to just sit there or take the papers in?"

You glanced at the papers, then at her. "Yeah... I'm going."

"Do you know why I volunteered to come when Jaejoong said he had to work?" His mother sighed, softening at your sullen facial expression. "Because you need someone to talk you out of it."

You looked up at her, flabbergasted.

"Don't give me that look, Doll Baby.  I knew it from the beginning, the two of you are perfect for each other and you know it."

You chewed your bottom lip, staring blankly at the papers as you thought about it. Was that why you were so unhappy at the wedding? Not because it wasn't real but because you wanted it to be?

"Hold out a little while longer, think it over carefully." She insisted, placing a gentle hand on your shoulder. "I know you'll figure out exactly how you feel."

"Jaejoong, I love you." You practiced, staring at Jaejoong's pillow with the divorce papers right beside it.

Your husband, of course, was still at work and you were in the house alone.  You felt silly talking to an inanimate object but you cringed imagining how much worse it would be to tell Jaejoong.

What if he didn't reciprocate your feelings?  It was be horrifying.  Either way, he deserved to know.  You were married to him after all, false or not.

You sighed and got off of the bed, taking the divorce papers with you. After stretching, you walked to the kitchen to start dinner, repeating the words in your head over and over in hopes of finding a way to make them sound less ridiculous.

"Oh! "You jumped when you saw someone bent over, rummaging through your refrigerator. Your husband glanced back at you, a bottle of water in his hands.

"Shoot, you scared me." You confessed, walking further into the kitchen and leaning on the counter. "When did you get home?"

"Not too long ago." Jaejoong shrugged, moving to lean beside you.

You nodded, sighing in relief internally.  That meant he didn't hear your practice.  "I was just about to cook dinner.  Is chicken okay with you?"

"Sounds good to me." He nodded and you turned to start cooking. "Hey, ____"

His hand wrapped around your wrist and tugged you back to him, spinning you around and into his chest.  His lips pressed against yours and your eyes widened.

When he pulled away, he sported a knowing smirk. "I love you too."

"Kim Jaejoong, you jerk!" You yelped, your face turning red in embarrassment. "You heard it all!" You accused.

"I did." Jaejoong grinned and pried the papers from your hand. He ripped them into two and slid the torn pieces into the trash bin. "Won't be needing those anymore."

You couldn't even speak before he kissed you again, lips molding against yours in a deep kiss. His arms wrapped around your waist and he pressed you against the counter with his body. "Let's skip dinner and get a start on those beautiful babies~"