Eight

The One Who Makes Life Come to Life

 

 

Myungsoo did a good job at not showing how nervous he was, but he didn't fool anyone, Sungjong especially. The receptionist raised an eyebrow at them but smiled comfortingly when they handed in their paper work with shaky hands. He was sure the receptionist had never seen a Lund's couple that wasn't bursting with excitement. Sungjong could feel waves of Myungsoo's anxiety and tried to convey comfort to him as much as he could.

 

Sungjong wasn't sure what Myungsoo was scared of the most, the idea that it'd be confirmed: they were really stuck together for the rest of their lives, or whether he hated doctors, or that he just hated people getting so caught up in his business. He guessed it was a little bit of a combination.

 

The backs of their hands brushed as they walked, which gave them both a pleasant feeling stability. Since there was practically no one there, they didn't have to wait long, but when the doctor came, he wasn't alone.

 

"I'm sorry to have kept you waiting; I will be your doctor today. Please call me Dr. Choi." The doctor said, smiling as he introduced himself, though he hadn't actually kept them waiting, "And I have a few colleagues to help me out today, since we have a lot to go over and they would like to gain more experience with Lund's, is that alright with you?"

 

Sungjong felt Myungsoo's heartbeat stutter like it was his own, and before he realized he was speaking, "Actually, we'd rather just work with you, if that's okay."

 

"Alright." the doctor conceded, "But some of the tests require separation, so I'm going to need a little help, just for a little while. After that, I promise it will just be us." When he spoke, he looked at Sungjong, but Sungjong knew his promise was meant for Myungsoo, who was deflated in relief but was still rigid with tension.

 

"Okay. I'll go with one of them." Sungjong told them, and Myungsoo squeezed his hand in thanks.

 

The first tests were regular doctor checkup things you would expect. Sungjong even got a throat swab, which he'd always hated. They got to stay together for these, and Sungjong felt Myungsoo relaxing with the familiarity. When Dr. Choi said it was time to separate, Sungjong gave Myungsoo an encouraging smile and tried to push good feelings his way.

 

A small, young doctor was given to Sungjong, but she was very professional. They talked a lot about general contact separation and feelings. The Rorschach cards that Sungjong had read about were shown, too, but Sungjong didn't feel like anything had been too invasive so far, and since he hadn't felt anything alarming from Myungsoo, it must have been the same with Dr. Choi.

 

The longest wait was when they were brought back together to let Dr. Choi and his helper discuss their results. The wait was so long that Sungjong eventually laid down on the examination table with his head in Myungsoo's lap, face pressed against Myungsoo's stomach. Instinctively, Myungsoo's hand came up to Sungjong's hair and guard him from falling over the edge.

 

"I really don't like doctors." Myungsoo admitted quietly, when they'd sat in silence for a while. Sungjong tried not to laugh. "I don't like how they feel like they have free reign over me. I know it's for my health, but I feel used when they're done with me. I don't like anyone who feels like they can just get inside of me like that." Sungjong squeezed his eyes shut, knowing he was someone who had invaded Myungsoo's life and lodged himself in without permission-- just what Myungsoo hated, but Myungsoo's hand just kept him lightly.

 

When the doctor came back Sungjong made a move to sit up, but Myungsoo held him in place with a hand on his chest. The doctor didn't react to the position at all, so they waited there quietly for him to speak.

 

"Well not like you didn't already know, but you've both definitely got Lund's. And now I can give you the paperwork to make it legal. I'm pretty sure you know the basics: your id cards need to be updated, we can do it here. I started the paperwork, so you just need to send it in and it'll be mailed to you. You'll need medical alert bracelets in case something goes wrong." He flipped a few papers on his clipboard, but he hadn't yet said anything about what they were really waiting for. Dr. Choi seemed to notice them waiting, and he lowered his voice, like he was softening a blow. "You have type II Lund's, which I'm sure you know requires more attention than type I. Your need for skin contact is much stronger and you are more empathetic than other Lund's pairs. Your bodies are more in sync and you share sensations more easily. If you focus hard enough and practice you can probably even share thoughts." Sungjong felt Myungsoo's fingers curl into his hair and bit his lip, noticing how little he actually felt from Myungsoo right now and wondering what that meant-- if Myungsoo was learning how to shield his feelings or if this was hitting him harder than he'd thought.

 

The doctor's voice was heavy with importance. "The most important thing you need to keep in mind though is that with type II Lund's, the time you can have between periods of contact becomes shorter." Neither Sungjong nor Myungsoo moved at all. Sungjong had known this, of course, but it was something real, pressing against his chest. "As time goes on you will need more skin contact and less time apart. I wouldn't be worried about this; you shouldn't think this is hindering your lives. You won't feel those effects to inconvenience until you're much older."

 

"How long until," Myungsoo swallowed, "until we have to keep complete contact."

 

The doctor hmm’ed and shook his head, "It's different for everyone, but mostly likely not until you're very old. I met an old type II Lund's couple who needed complete skin contact. They could stay apart for short intervals, maybe ten minutes at most, but they were in their late 70's. You two have nothing to worry about for a long time, there's no reason you can't live normal lives, but there are certain things you can't do. You," He pointed to Sungjong, "will be exempt from military service, and I wouldn't suggest donating blood, or becoming organ donors, even after death. Your bodies' biologies now differ slightly and you won't be eligable for donations anymore. That also makes it very hard to find donors for the both of you if you need it, so you shouldn't take unnecessary risks."

 

Sungjong really wished Myungsoo might have gone through all of his Lund's books so he might have been prepared for all of this.

 

"Wait up," Myungsoo told Sungjong, when they'd finished filling out even more paperwork for their id changes and medical alert bracelets. Sungjong would have thought he'd be dying to leave, but he was backing towards the doctor's office again, "I will be right back." Sungjong watched him slip back inside and looked at the ground. He wouldn't ask; he probably didn't want to know. He waited there for a few moments before he began to feel a pressure in his chest that wasn't his own and he glanced back towards the office, worried about what Myungsoo was hearing that was making him feel this way. It wasn't actually even a bad feeling, just overwhelming, like Sungjong might pass out from it. Myungsoo did eventually come out, and unthinkingly reached out to touch the back of Sungjong's neck, calming them both. He nodded his head towards the door, "C'mon," He said lightly, "Let's go."

 

When they got back to the motel, Sungjong watched Myungsoo walk around restlessly. Sungjong hated this; he wished, not for the first time, that things were different, but not for himself anymore. Not really. Of course he wished Myungsoo loved him and wanted him, but now Sungjong leaned his chin into his hand and watched his restless mate wander around, fiddling with their bags and keeping himself busy and thought that he wouldn't change anything about Myungsoo. He loved Myungsoo just the way he was: big and quiet and cold on the outside, just hiding how anxious and sweet and uncertain he was on the inside. He would change things for Myungsoo, though. He only wished things were better for Myungsoo now.

 

Sungjong felt lighter now, like finally getting examined and confirming everything he already knew had resolved him. He could let go. If he needed too. He was strong. He could let Myungsoo go. Even if they needed to be together all the time, and even if they would be little old men who needed to tie their hands together to keep from getting contact starvation, if Myungsoo wanted he would do anything to help Myungsoo and Sooyeon.

 

"Let's get drunk." Sungjong suggested, making Myungsoo pause to look at him. Sungjong just shrugged at the questioning look. "The beach isn't very crowded anyway. We can drink and then go to the beach when people have started going home. I'm sure the sun will still be out for a little while."

 

"Alright." Myungsoo told him.

 

There was a little restaurant on the corner where they ordered food and drinks, deciding that they should probably eat something first. Sungjong wasn't feeling anything terrible from Myungsoo. He was wondering when the breakdown was coming, he couldn't just be so calm about finding out just how shackled he was for the rest of his life.

 

The drinks there gave them just enough buzz to make them giddy, so Sungjong just stopped worrying. They got more drinks to take back to the motel and decided to visit the beach then, before they were too gone. Sungjong was glad he had suggested it, because though Myungsoo hadn't been freaking out, he had been so tense. Now he was relaxed and laughing, just slightly fumbling while he changed into his bathing suit.

 

The beach was just as perfect as it had been the night before. It was practically empty again, which Sungjong had predicted, and he wondered what was wrong with these people, not spending all of their time at this beautiful place. They had just about an hour before sunset. They'd spent longer at the doctor than Sungjong had thought.

 

Myungsoo looked determined as he searched the shoreline. When Sungjong asked what he was doing he said, "I'm looking for the perfect spot to build a sandcastle."

 

It turned out Myungsoo was very meticulous while he began his sandcastle, which was a side of him Sungjong hadn't seen yet, but made sense. They were both buzzed and clumsy, though, and Myungsoo didn't reprimand Sungjong when he accidentally knocked something down. Eventually though, more was getting knocked down than Myungsoo could build back and he just laughed and pushed Sungjong down on top of the whole thing.

 

Everything was beautiful out here and Sungjong took out his phone to get a picture of it before he forgot-- before tomorrow when Myungsoo remember how much he hated being imprinted and they had to go home. He tried to snap a picture of the beach and their ruined sandcastle, but they just didn't look as good on his screen as they did through his eyes.

 

"What are you doing?" Myungsoo blinked up at him from where he was burying his feet in the sand.

 

"If I don't bring back a great picture of the beach, my grandpa will kill me when we go home." Sungjong replied, and it wasn't entirely a lie. His grandfather would smack him for not getting him a picture.

 

Myungsoo reached his hands out and grabbed for the phone, "Gimme.”I'll do it."

 

"Alright." Sungjong handed it over easily, wondering how much better Myungsoo could do when he'd had as much to drink as Sungjong.

 

"Yah, why are you just standing there?" Myungsoo looked back at him, "Get in the picture." He nodded towards the shoreline, so Sungjong walked over and faced Myungsoo, smiling lightly, hoping the camera wouldn't pick up his flush. Myungsoo snapped a picture and came closer, kicking sand at Sungjong, "Smile wider!"

 

Sungjong laughed as Myungsoo assaulted him and Myungsoo snapped another picture quickly, before Sungjong knew it. "I wasn't ready!"

 

Myungsoo smiled at the phone, "Don't worry. It's perfect."

 

When the sun finally set, they went back to the motel and found an old movie on the crappy TV set before they began on the drinks they'd brought back. Sungjong lost the plot halfway through as he became more drunk, but Myungsoo seemed to know it, quoting it loudly every now and then.

 

No one should have ever listened to Sungjong's ideas, Sungjong decided, when he felt himself sway in his own seat, watching Myungsoo plow through his bag, making a mess while he looked for something. That didn't mean he regretted his ideas, Sungjong thought when he decided to speak finally. "Yah, I decided what I want to use my win on."

 

"Huh?" Myungsoo looked up.

 

"Last night I won the game and you said I could have whatever I wanted."

 

Myungsoo laughed, "You can. What do you want?"

 

"What if," Sungjong swallowed, "just for tonight we pretended that you love me?"

 

It was like everything had gone quiet at once, though Sungjong knew the movie was still playing. He watched Myungsoo become still and wondered if he'd gone too far. Probably, but it didn't matter to him right now. Finally Myungsoo stood and walked over to where Sungjong sat on the edge of the bed. Now Sungjong had to look up and he felt much more vulnerable, even as he felt his body respond to Myungsoo's closeness like there were magnets in his skin.

 

"Okay." Was all Myungsoo said before he reached down and grasped the sides of Sungjong's face, palms cupping his cheeks. Sungjong felt himself stop breathing for a moment, but he wasn't scared. Myungsoo just tilted his face up while he bent down and their mouths met.

 

Oh Lawdy. WOOP SPRING BREAK what a wonderful time to start SLeEPING AT NORMAL TIMES WOW GREAT JOB JENNA.