First Meet

Blind Date

 

“Unnie, I won’t accept ‘no’ for this time. You must go. It’s about time for you to get a boyfriend.  You are not getting younger, you are 25 this year. I’m sure your mom will totally agree with me,” Zinger nag at Hyosung.

“But Zinger-ah, I’ve never been to this so-called blind date. What am I suppose to do or talk? I don’t even know those people. And do people this day still go to blind date? So old-fashioned if you ask me,” said Hyosung.

“Unnie, don’t you know how important this blind date are? But don’t worry, there are always first time for everything. I’m sure you will find something to talk about, you are so talkative. From this first blind date, you will realize what kind of man that you like and whether you ideal man is exist or not.  I must say that don’t put your hope too high but it’s a good way to meet a guy. I don’t believe your circle of friends, you always hangout with the same person for a very very long time, urgh!!” replied Zinger.

“What is wrong with my friends? They are great people,” Hyosung countered back.

“Yes, they are. But that means you don’t get to meet new people. That’s why blind date is so perfect for you. Maybe you will meet the love of your life through this,” Zinger tried to convince her.

“I highly doubt that. Speak for yourself, Zinger-ah.   I never see you in a serious relationship for a long time too,” Hyosung spit back.

“But I never lose hope. Unlike you, I’m trying my best to find the love of my life. I’m sure my hard work would pay off someday,” Zinger is getting annoyed.

Hyosung lost for word.

“No more talking. You are going with me this weekend whether you like it or not. I don’t mind if I have to drag you to be there,” Zinger put a full stop to their ‘discussion’.

“You are so cruel to your unnie, urghh,” Hyosung mumbled silently.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“So you’re going this weekend?” Daniel asks Simon.

“Of course, you know I’m always in for this kind of thing. Best way to meet new girls with no string attached,” replied Simon.

“You like it but never be the one who setup it,” whines Daniel.

“Well, you are the ones with so many female friends, I’m doing a favour by accompany you. You should thank this hyung instead,” teased Simon.

“Whatever hyung. I will tell you the time and place later,” said Daniel.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Should I dress this fancy just to meet some guy that I don’t even know?”

“Be positive, unnie. He might be your Mr. Right.”

“I highly doubt that. I’m telling you if this thing doesn’t work out, no more blind dates for me.”

“Whatever unnie. You never been to one but yet you complained so much. Now, let’s go. Don’t let the guys wait for us for too long. We want to give the best first impression.”

 

At the restaurant

“Hyosung-unnie, let me introduce. This is Donglim and Donglim, this is Hyosung.”

“Hi, nice to meet you.” “Nice to meet you too.” They greet each other.

“Oh no, he seems so shy. He doesn’t even look at me right in the eyes. How am I supposed to talk to him? This is going to be a long night,” thought Hyosung.

Apparently, Zinger is with Daniel and Jieun is with a guy name Simon. They seem to talk with their partner only, totally ignoring Hyosung and Donglim. As for Hyosung, she thinks this is not good, it is too dull. For her, Donglim seems like a nice person but he is too shy. Not many words were came out from his mouth and he was only speak when Hyosung ask him.

“Am I too scary for him to talk to me? I don’t eat people, I only eat food. Erm maybe I should try talk to the others too,” thought Hyosung.

So she decided to ask Daniel, who sit beside Donglim, whereas Donglim sat in front of her. “Hey Daniel, I heard you live in US before. Is it hard to adapt to live in Korea?” she asks casually.

Suddenly everyone stop talking and look at her. “Unnie, you can’t talk to the other partner in blind date. You should focus on your partner, getting to know him better,” Zinger whisper to her.

“But how am I supposed to know the other guys if I don’t talk to them?” Hyosung whisper back.

“That’s the rule, unnie.”

And with that, the rest of the dinner was a total silence for Hyosung. Except only when Donglim do ask her something, she would politely reply back to him. She doesn’t have a heart to turn cold on him. Perhaps he was like her, being forced into this blind date.

On Simon side, he thinks Hyosung is so funny. She tried to make a conversation with others but only being stop by her friend. After that, he heard no sound at all from Hyosung-Donglim. “Poor she, being stuck with the shy Donglim who thinks games is so much better than girls. She seems so bored though,” thought Simon as he secretly glanced at Hyosung occasionally during their dinner.

As for him, he thinks Jieun is so nice for him. Not his ideal type of girl. “Another long night to go,” Simon mumbled silently while smiling sweetly at Jieun.

 

Outside the restaurant

Every couple is going to their separate way after the dinner. Since Hyosung’s date with Donglim do not quite make it, they decided to bid goodbye there and then. Blame Zinger for setting her up to go to this blind date. As she walks through the cold night, someone greet her from the back. “This is your first time, right?” dumbfounded, she turns around slowly and saw a man grinning at her. Oh, that was Simon, Jieun’s partner.

“You really scared me, don’t you know that. First time what?”

“First time going to blind date.”

“Am I too obvious?”

“Yes because you clearly doesn’t know the rule.”

“I hate rule,” Hyosung mumbled slowly.

“So how was your first blind date?”

“He didn’t even ask for my number, so I guess he’s not interested in me. What about you?”

“I didn’t ask for her number, clearly I’m not interested in her.”

“You are so mean. How could you do that to sweet Jieun?”

“Sweet alone is not enough, dear. That’s okay, I don’t think she will take it to the heart. Anyway, that’s the purpose of blind date.”

“What do you mean?”

“You really clueless, aren’t you? For your information, blind date is where we get to meet new people without any commitment. If you like each other, you can proceed with the next date but if you don’t, you can end up right there without feeling guilty. Imagine if you go out with your friend, suddenly you think it’s not going to work out, do you think your relationship will go back as usual?”

“Your words do make sense. I don’t know, I never interested in going to blind dates. Well, you sound like an expert, how come you still go to blind date?”

“Let’s just say I’m a free man who enjoys meeting new girls.”

“And yet you refuse the sweet Jieun,” Hyosung said under her breath.

“Hey, I can hear you. By the way, I’m Simon.”

“Hyosung.”

“So, can I have your number?”

Startled, “What for?”

“To be friend. We are not in a blind date anymore, you can talk to me freely now. As I recalled, you didn’t have the chance to greet me properly just now. So, can I?” ask Simon with pleading eyes.

“Yeah, sure. How could I say no when you look at me with those puppy eyes. Hehe.”

“Puppy eyes?”

“Yeah, your eyes looks like a lost puppy , begging for shelter.”

“......”

And this is how their first meet with each other.

 

A/N: So what do you think about the first chapter? Is it too blunt, boring? Anyway, I hope you don't get confused over the conversation.