chapter 3

Take My Hand -DROPPED-

The lecture theatre was bustling with students flipping through their notebooks, scribbling the important points that needed to be memorised by heart. Those who were much well-off would be scribbling it all away on their iPads or tablets. Kyungsoo belonged to the former group. He preferred to jot down his notes in the most traditional form because he finds that it was the only way he could remember them. He wasn't sure why either. Maybe it was due to the way his brains tend to absorb whatever his hand wrote.

For the week, Kris had been seating beside him like he owned that place. The latter didn't seem to care that he was giving him the brush off. Kris still kept coming to his side with a smile on his face.Was he not cold enough? Maybe he should have been harsher in his words but they were all in his head. Kyungsoo never have it in him to tell someone off in a very harsh way. The harshest he had been was to yell at someone. That was all. And that only happened when he was so irritated with himself that he'd just snap at whoever was lucky enough to be on the other end of the stick.

A part of him wanted rejoice at the fact that Kris, the handsome newcomer, noticed the unknown nerdy him. Wow. What a surprise! But another part of him was crouching in fear because he'd never ever made any friends for the most part of his life. It had been so long ago since he had one. Kyungsoo wondered if he would even find love in this condition.

Kyungsoo tapped his pen against his notebook while listening to the professor going on and on about the pros and cons of social media. He tried his hardest not be bothered by the guy beside him but it seemed like he was tuned to every small movement that Kris made. The thought alone was making his temple twitch with annoyance. He was utterly annoyed with himself. Why was he reacting this way to someone he barely knew?

He glanced over to his right and found the guy looking ahead, listening attentively to class. For someone unsocial, Kyungsoo still knew about the gossips going around the campus given how these people talk. Loud enough for the whole world to know at times. He for one, wasn't spared from their ridiculously baseless rumours.

His knees began to bounce in place as restlessness began to set in. Although he was annoyed with Kris, a part of him was jumping with glee, knowing that someone at least acknowledged his existence. Kyungsoo flipped his palms, staring at it, while he reminded himself not to think too much about how good it felt to have warmth engulfing it. And those warmth came from the most unexpected source. It had been such a long time since.... grandpa.

The thought alone made him itched to do something, anything. Kyungsoo stood up, not caring of the curious gazes thrown at him and dashed out of the lecture theatre. Once, he was out of in the open air, he started to jog. There wasn't anywhere in particular that he wanted to jog to. Point was, he just needed to move. The usual spot seemed the best way to relieve the itch that wouldn't shake off.

Kyungsoo ran towards the school's running tracks and began jogging. He wasn't concerned with how many laps he did. As long as he was able to just calm down, he was fine. With every foot forward, memories of the days he spent with his grandpa began surfacing.

"Take this, Kyungsoo." His grandpa said as he waved a brown paper bag at him while patting the empty side beside him, silently asking Kyungsoo to join him in the backyard's garden.

"What's this?" Kyungsoo removed his backpack and took a seat adjacent to his grandpa, noticing how much paler his hands look compared to the day before. Or how much more veins stood out from his thinning skin.

"The book that you wanted."

Kyungsoo pulled him into a hug, smiling as the familiar scent of cinnamon teased his nostrils. "Thank you!"

Biting on his lower lip so hard, almost to the brink of pain, Kyungsoo pushed himself harder to run till he no longer felt his limbs. When it did, he slowed down, pausing in between his walk to catch his breath. Perspiration soaked his t-shirt, clinging to his back like a second skin.

Thirsty.

The cafeteria was sparsely occupied which offered him comfort, knowing that less attention was on him. He hated to be the centre of attention when all he wanted to be was the wall flower of the school. Rather than be known, Kyungsoo would strongly prefer anonymity over it any time of the day.

 

✎✎✎

 

With everyone making their way out of the lecture theatre, Kris wondered where Kyungsoo might have gone to. Seeing that no one seemed to care, Kris stared at the opened notebook and pencil case. He should help. But a part of him was a little hesitant, given how Kyungsoo had reacted to him the other day. 

"Kris, what are you doing?" Chanyeol salpped his back. "Let's go, man."

"But, Kyungsoo's not back yet. I'm worried."

"No, no, no. You shouldn't touch anything. He will snap your head into two." Chanyeol waved his index finger repeatedly.

His boyfriend siddled up against his side, hooking an arm around his waist. "Come on, Chanyeol, let him help. We'll have to book our favourite table before anyone else does. See you at our usual spot, ok?"

Kris nodded at the couple, watching them disappear behind the door. Somehow, he had gotten used to how touchy they could be in public. Focusing on the job at hand, Kris picked the notebook, noticing how neat and proper it was. Straight, thin and no nonsense.

Just like Kyungsoo. He chuckled.

ping the backpack made him gaped at the contents. There was a bottle of sanitiser, unscented wet wipes and a box of disposable plastic gloves. Why would anyone need that much of... of stuff?

 

✎✎✎

 

"May I have a bottle of mineral water?" Kyungsoo asked the middle-aged woman with three rolls of fat around her belly.

He was sorry for her. Or, more like whoever told her that wearing a super-fitting t-shirt would suit her. If she had dressed in a slightly loose t-shirt, it would have made her look much more pleasant to look at. Kyungsoo pulled out his mini-tube of sanitizer and began cleansing his hands thrice. Once, he was sure they were clean, he slip into the handy disposable glove that he always have in every available pocket for instances where he needed them urgently. Like this one.

"Thank you." He uncapped the bottle and tipped it over. Years of practise ensured that he didn't spill a drop of water, while drinking from a bottle without the opening touching his lips.

With his thrist sated, he strolled back into the lecture theatre prepared to see it empty. What greeted him made him grind his teeth. Kyungsoo stormed to where his seat was. And snatched his bag from Kris. Apparently, the latter had packed all of his things. Without his permission.

"What the hell are you doing?!" Kyungsoo yelled. Chest puffing. Blood gushing in his ears as he stared at the shocked guy.

"I-I was just helping you pack your bag." 

Slipping into the plastic gloves, Kyungsoo dumped the content of his bag out. "Help? Help?! You shouldn't have touched things that don't belong to you!" He began wiping his things one at a time with wet wipes.

"What are you doing?" Kris crouched down so that he was eye level with Kyungsoo. Curiousity played over his handsome features.

"I'm cleaning my stuff! Mind your own business!" Kyungsoo hissed, giving him a deadly glare. He snarled when Kris made no move to back off. His pulse began to beat a little faster as the fear that this new guy was going to find out about his secret. 

Kyungsoo didn't want Kris to see this side of him. But it seemed that it was a little too late. Now, Kris probably wouldn't even want to be friends with him. All because he was... crazy.

 

✎✎✎

 

Thank you for the kind comments~ I hope I will be able to potray this in a beautiful love story kind of way...  ^^