Shall I Mend, or Shall I Break?

Chocoholics

Note: As author, I would like to inform you that I am using 'Eunhyuk' instead of 'Hyukjae' for the soul purpose of the pairing name as well as newcomers to K-Pop who know Hyukjae better as Eunhyuk. Thank you for undertanding my reasoning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Donghae had closed his shoppe for the rest of his day, but sat inside blandly. He tapped a pen on the blue glass table that he sat at, staring off into space, his mind blank. He had to make an impotant decision right here, right now. Shall he mend, or shall he break further? Would he go back to his job to prove his worth or not? Considering the extent of the distain he now held in his heart for anything related to love, keeping a chocolate shoppe seemed unwise. Although, at the same time, chocolate and other candies were all Donghae knew. It was his art; his works; his life. He had strived to be the best and, at this point, it seemed silly to throw away everything over one person. But on the other hand...

 

"No....There is no 'other hand'....," Donghae mumbled to himself, putting the pen down. "I may love him...but....I can't throw away my life for him. I shall mend." With the very decision, Donghae stood and took a deep breath, going behind the counter and cracking his knuckles. He would work and do as he needed. However, as he looked over at the sink and saw plump, juicy strawberries, he felt his heart sink and his throat clog. Who was he kidding? There was no way he would be able to do this... He was in love, for goodness sake. You couldn't just throw such a strong emotion away, nor could you break the pain away. It was like a prison. A prison surrounded with electric fences and concrete underground. Love was impossible to escape. It was painful, though, drawing tears from Donghae's eyes. He couldn't stand it.

 

Possibly looking like a madman from outside the windows, Donghae slid down one of the counters, tears in his eyes. His heart ached and wrenched hither and thither, his heartstrings near broke. Taking deep breaths, he forced himself to calm down; evena little bit would be better than complete submersion. After a few moments, Donghae looked around once more at his shoppe and kitchen, memories playing back like cinematic records. His tears soon began to fade, but his pained continued as he then stared at the floor.

 

-----

 

"You really enjoy pain, don't you? Or do you really think thinking about it will help?" Donghae's head shot up at the sudden voice. There stood someone....very unexpected. An old friend of his. A man named Kyuhyun. Standing quickly, Donghae brushed himself off, startled by the presence of his old companion.

 

"Uh...well...er.... Hello."

 

"That's all you can say? Hello? I take it that I surprised you a little?"

 

"Well, God, Kyuhyun, I haven't seen you since high school...," Donghae replied, still a bit startled.

 

"That's not my fault. I asked if you wanted to go out for a night on the town to catch up, but you always refused. You silly workaholic," Kyuhyun said with a light chuckle, his arms crossed over his chest. The look of Donghae after crying was a familiar sight to him since Donghae had always seemed to get caught up with the wrong women in school.

 

"You enjoy my pain."

 

"Only to the light point of you getting over the fact."

 

"I hardly think I'll get over this so quickly," the chocolatier murmered with a sigh in his throat. Rubbing his face, Donghae paced.

 

"Are you really that bad off without some person?"

 

"Hey, they meant a lot to me. I feel dead."

 

"Donghae," Kyuhyun said, walking over and taking his friend by the shoulders. "Don't think about it... You'll feel better if you don't think about it."

 

"You like to repeat yourself through years," Donghae muttered. "I loved this man like you wouldn't imagine.... And he hates me."

 

"Then let him hate. You don't have to be the victim here... If anything, all he needs is some space." Donghae began to nod, then stopped.

 

"Wait a minute, you don't even know who the heck I'm talking about, why in the name of God am I listening to you?" Donghae broke from his friend's grasp and ran a hand through his soft, dark hair. Turning back to Kyuhyun, the chocolatier sighed heavily, crossing his arms. "Kyuhyun....I need your help. Work in my shoppe.....keep me strong... Help me to heal by keeping my mind off of him and on my business..." A laugh came from Donghae's friend and he looked up to see Kyuhyun smiling his evil smile.

 

"Alright...I guess I can help you out. After all, it wouldn't be the first damn time you wouldn't be able to function without me... Like that time you got really drunk and-"

 

"Kyuhyun, we're never talking about that ever again."