The Man and His Shoppe - Chapter 1

Chocoholics

Donghae looked about his candy shoppe with great delight. Early in the morning as the sun rose in bright, whispy tones of pink, orange, and purple, his shoppe looked like that out of a memory from the 1940's, the only thing missing being the sepia tone in the old photos. It had a basic set-up, but that also of a professional. The display case was cleared of all old candy, though there was hardly any at all from yesterday, and polished carefully, the glass cleaned as well of all the fingerprints and nose-marks from adorabley curious children that stopped by after school with their allowances all saved in satchels to buy at least one of Donghae's exquisite sweets. The walls were either painted a gentle tea-green or were made mostly of windows, the dubbed 'Kitchen of Miracles' visible from nearly every angle, open for spectators to watch the process of making chocolates as well as other sugar-based confectionries.

 

When the man flipped on the lights, everything became equally illuminated, bringing one from the past to the present in a split second, though it still seemed to hold memories. This was the chocolatier's shoppe; his home away from home. With slow, elegant steps, Donghae walked to his kitchen while buttoning up his special apron. He adored his job, no matter how difficult his years of college for this profession were. Taking a deep breath and cracking his knuckles, Donghae got to work, starting with his best-selling item and topping; milk chocolate. He made bars of it, filled chocolates with it, drizzled it over carmels, and even made chocolate-covered strawberries.

 

Chocolate-covered strawberries. Everyone loved them, or at least a lot of people did. However, there was one customer that came to mind to the chocolatier whilst he crafted the chocolate, occasionally glancing over at the plump, juicy strawberries drying from being washed. A man that came in every day to purchase twelve of the biggest, sweetest strawberries he could afford. Lately, Donghae had been setting the twelve best aside for the daily order, charging the man only a fraction of what they were worth. Donghae did this for two reasons, the first being that he liked the man as a customer, the second being that every time he came into the shoppe, it seemed to get more and more special for the chocolatier.

 

This customer's name was Eunhyuk. He was a young man with platinum blonde-bleached hair and the most adorable smile you'd ever see, but was childish at the same time. He was gorgeous to Donghae and was so polite, but also a tease. It was cute and harmless teasing, however Donghae hoped every time that they were teasing and nothing more, such as last Valentines' Day when Eunhyuk had gotten his strawberries said 'I'll have to go home and eat these with my lovely girlfriendnow, won't I?' Donghae wasn't very fond of that particular statement since he wasn't sure if it was true or just a fib. In all truth, you could say that the chocolatier was falling for a customer, though he would never admit it. He was too afraid of rejection and embarrassment to ever say it to be true.

 

As he finished making the thick, smooth, creamy chocolate, the chocolate artist looked from his sugary palette to see happy children staring in awe at his work as they normally did in their free time before they needed to get to school. Donghae smiles warmly at them and began working with the chocolate, making the special strawberries first, setting them aside to dry before doing other decorations, then filling molds and starting to make caramel. One thing that never got old was the look of amazement from people, young and old, at the old-fashioned way of doing things, even early in the morning. Soon, the children left for school, and Donghae went to making Eunhyuk's daily supply of strawberries simply perfect. The man and his shoppe. Open for business once again, another day out of the week.