Changing for Naught

Chocoholics

Caramels, bars, cherry cordials, and much more flew off the shelves that day, like normal. However, by noon, Donghae still hadn't spotted his strawberry-loving customer; his little Eunhyuk. For just a moment in his busy day, he glanced back at the package of beautifully-made strawberries in their box on the counter and moved them to the fridge. He then proceeded to replenish the displays with candies and took his lunch break for an hour, but ate in the main room instead of the kitchen. During his lunch break, Donghae looked around his shoppe once again. This time, he didn't see the shining, perfect store he did before. He realized it was dull and colorless, not nostalgic. He had been blinded by business and the splendor of clouds over his eyes. On the other hand, it let Donghae know that his customers were more interested in what really mattered. Then, though, he wondered what would happen if he did switch it up a bit. The plan formed in his mind and he wanted to get to work soon.

 

---

 

The shoppe had remained closed for a week as renovations took over. The wall color went from it's fairly light green to a shade of caribbean blue, the flooring a beautiful gold-flecked onyx. In this scheme, his copper pots, pans, and candy-making tools seemed to stand out a bit more, not that it was a terrible problem. With everything having been changed, Donghae felt a little out of place, but he loved it at the same time and wondered if Eunhyuk would like it as well when he would come to pick up his strawberries the next day when the shoppe would re-open.

 

---

 

After much preperations for the re-opening a week before Valentines' Day, the shoppe opened just a few minutes later than normal, the place packed by nine in the morning. The chocolate-covered strawberries made fresh this morning lie in their box, waiting for the man of the chocolatier's dreams to walk through that door. People walked in and out, in awe of the change that had taken place as they bought their regular sweet items. An older gentleman had even walked in once and had taken a picture of Donghae at work for the local newspaper, telling him that 'this is a pleasent surprise and most likely a very welcome change'.

 

Even with the new and old business, though, Donghae didn't see Eunhyuk walk in that door; not once. Yet more luscious strawberries laid to waste. It was sad for him that he hadn't seen the beauty yet, and at the end of the day, Eunhyuk hadn't come at all. And so, the chocolatier cleaned up his shoppe, polishing the cases and washing the dishes, looking over at the strawberries once more. Delicate milk and white chocolate covered and drizzled upon the red, soft fruits, the green leaves peaking out from the chocolate. Why hadn't he come? Had Donghae scared off his favorite customer, or was he sick? What if it was worse than that? Donghae's stomach clenched at the thought.