Chapter 5

17 Year Old Daddy

 

Chapter 5 
 
Caressing my hands gently over my abdomen, I was surprised that there was already a new life in there. Frankly speaking, I wasn't prepared at all to become a mother, but I had to accept fate at the mere age of 17. This child came to earth for the sake of my sister. He/She shall be the debt of my life. And my sister... Well, I suppose she was the debt of my previous life.  
 
The whole Lee family was excited at the news, and Mr Lee showered me with concern. I really appreciated their care and concern, regardless of their motive, I was more or less happier in that family. They even had house check-ups for me to avoid my awkwardness in the hospital, and I was more than thankful for that. 
 
It was only Lee Taemin who had been dragging my mood down. I could tell that all he ever wanted was to flare up at me, but he had to endure the overwhelming anger. I guess I understood how he felt. Being a father at the age of 17 years old... Nobody in the right mind could accept this peacefully. 
 
According to the contract, I was allowed to go to school until the 6th month of pregnancy. Regardless of the baby, I was still a normal high-schooler, and I had to earn my own living after labour. Hence, stopping school was a no-no situation. 
 
For the rest of the days, Lee Taemin seemed to be trying his best to ignore me. Instead of fetching me in his car everyday, he sent another car to bring me to and fro of school, causing Amber to ask me repeatedly if I had found a rich boyfriend, and I had to reply that I had been living with a rich relative. 
 
At night, I padded downstairs to drink water, only to see a figure lying on the sofa, smoking. Covering my nose and mouth, I approached the person and poked him gently, only to see Lee Taemin jumping up in shock. 
 
"What are you doing here?" 
 
"Drinking water. I'm thirsty." 
 
He extinguished the cigarette and I took a good look at him. Scratches on his face, dirt and holes on his shirt... You wouldn't get those thing except during a fight. 
 
"You... You've been in a fight?" 
 
He didn't acknowledge my presence. Oh well. As I was going to go upstairs to carry on sleeping, he replied. 
 
"I saved a kid who was about to get knocked down by a car." 
 
"Oh. Is the kid ok?" 
 
"Yeah, he's ok, but he was so young... Like 2 or 3 years old..."
 
"What were his parents doing? How could they let such a young kid get onto the roads?" I chided, unable to control my anger. Such irresponsible parents! 
 
"Taking care of a kid... It's a great responsibility..." Lee Taemin mumbled, both to himself, and to me. 
 
It suddenly dawned on me what he had been escaping from these days. For him, a 17 year old high-schooler, the reality of becoming a father had left him unprepared also. 
 
"I'm sorry," I told him genuinely. I should be apologising. It wasn't fair for Lee Taemin to shoulder all those . 
 
"Why are you saying sorry? Cuz you're pregnant?" His eyes seemed to be gleaming in the darkness. 
 
"You're innocent." With that, I turned and walked upstairs, feeling his gaze tailing behind my back.