Chapter 6

17 Year Old Daddy

 

Chapter 6 
 
Stretching my lithe body after a refreshing nap, a burning smell diffused into my nostrils. Jumping out of bed, I sprinted to the kitchen to find Lee Taemin gazing at a pan of vegetables in a daze. 
 
I jostled him away out of reflex and switched off the gaze stove. Finally, Lee Taemin was stirred out of his daydream and he looked at me with blurry, confused eyes. 
 
"I'm sure you won't want to burn the whole house down," I replied to his unasked question curtly. Then, realisation hit me. I had accidentally overheard his conversation with his father yesterday about his mother's deteoriating condition, and Taemin was obviously upset about this fact. 
 
"We'll visit her later." I suggested nonchalantly. 
 
Immediately, Taemin's body tensed up. "You? So you really treat yourself as the wife of the Lee family, huh?" 
 
"Nope," came my honest reply. 
 
"Then why are you visiting her?" Taemin yelled suddenly, his eyes red and b with tears. 
 
I didn't bother answering his question. It must be agonising to accept the fact of his mother's imminent demise. 
 
Taking in deep breath, I said, "Cuz' she'll be happy to see us there," and exited the kitchen without a backward glance. 
 
Unbelievably, Taemin's culinary skills were superb. I devoured most of the food without even looking up at him once. He sat faraway from me, a look of disgust and amazement on his face. 
 
"I don't believe that we hadn't fed you for so many days." 
 
"Pregnant ladies get hungry very easily. I don't believe that you didn't know this." 
 
"You'll get indigestion this way! It'll affect the baby's nutrient absorption!" 
 
Once the words were out of his mouth, the spoon in my hand shook a little and I stopped "attacking" the food momentarily in shock. Lee Taemin was also stunned by his own word. 
 
The baby. It was his first time acknowledging the child, and it made me feel warm all over. 
 
"Baby says, he likes eating this way." I replied, ignoring Taemin's discomfort. 
 
"That's bullcrap. He's my son! He won't be like you!" Came the vehement protest. 
 
I guess it's the hardest to admit something that you don't want to acknowledge for the first time. After the first time, all the acknowledgement will come much more easily. 
 
"A flirt like you? How awesome." 
 
"Hey! What do you mean by that?" 
 
 Nothing." 
 
"Are you unhappy about me?" 
 
"Nope." 
 
"Here you go again... You and your one-word answers..." said Lee Taemin in exasperation. 
 
After the meal, I left Lee Taemin alone in the dining room to clear the dishes, with the reason of my pregnancy. 
 
"Let's go," I said softly as he joined me in the living room. "Don't leave any regrets for the future." He stared at me with dazed eyes and I seized that opportunity to pull him out of the house. 
 
Mr Lee was astonished to see our figures emerging in the high-class ward of the hospital. Oh well. He did seem happy. 
 
Gesturing us to enter the ward, he gazed into Taemin's eyes and whispered, "Your mom has been waiting for you." 
 
Taemin stood outside of the ward with trembling hands. I guess he still lacked the courage. Pushing the door open for him, we were immediately greeted by the faint fragrance of jasmine flowers. On the bed lay a lady as elegant as the flower's fragrance. 
 
Seeing our arrival, the lady smiled. "Taemin ah, you're finally here." Seeing him still standing rooted to the ground, I shoved him towards his mother and exited the room. They must have a lot to talk about. 
 
I sat on the benches outside of the ward, contemplating my future. I wonder if I would still be accepted by my own mother as part of the family. Though my actions were indeed for a good cause, being the child under a traditional family, I guess my actions were still deemed as incorrigible and unacceptable. 
 
Just when I was about to fall asleep, Lee Taemin patted me on the shoulder. I glanced up to see his eyes watery, and something dipped inside my heart. 
 
"Omma wants to see you." 
 
I stepped into the ward once again, to see Mrs Lee looking at me with kind expression on her face. 
 
"Hello, Sulli dear, please take a seat." 
 
I did what I was told. Mrs Lee held my hand and squeezed it tightly, much to my surprise. 
 
"There are 2 things I want to say to you.... Thank you, dear Sulli for bringing Taemin here. Also, I'm so sorry for making you endure through all this facade." 
 
"I should be the one saying thank you, Mrs Lee. You have no idea how much you've helped me." 
 
Mrs Lee shook her head sadly. 
 
"No, Sulli, it was due to my selfishness. I made use of your difficult situation to appease my personal desires. Taemin's dad... He has another son whose mother passed away after waiting for him for decades. Out of guilt, Mr Lee wants to leave all of his inheritance to his other son. I am willing to forsake everything, but I can't let me son own nothing in the end... I guess this is the selfishness of a mother... Especially when I'm going to leave Taemin soon, and I can't help him any further in life. Hence, I wanted Taemin to have a child as soon as possible, so that for the sake of the child, Taemin's grandfather will also help to negotiate with my husband..." 
 
"But why not let him get married now, then have the kid?" 
 
"I don't want him to have any regrets... Marriage concerns a persons whole life, and I cant bear to see him making hasty decisions just because of me. If we could use money to solve this problem, then I would..." Realising her slip-up, she looked at me apologetically. "Sorry, I don't mean it this way." 
 
I shrugged it off with a nonchalant smile. 
 
"Sulli, you're a kind girl. Taemin hasn't visited me for a very long time already. I know he's afraid of the prospect that I'm going to leave him soon. However, he doesn't know that he is my greatest worry. Thanks for bringing here." 
 
"I understand how you feel," I said quietly, "The pain of having to face something that you're so afraid of losing.." 
 
"Oh well, I guess things aren't as bad as what they seem, aren't they?" Mrs Lee said expectantly. "Please visit me frequently, yeah? But also take care of my dear grandson." 
 
"Sure," I replied, "Please also take care of yourself, I'll come for spot checks to see how you're doing!"