Aftershock

Heartlines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It’s been nearly a year since my last summer job. I had two jobs that summer. The first one was on a pizza café where I served drinks and foods on tables and booths. I was really enjoying it until my mom found out about it. Being her critical self, she ordered me to quit the café and claimed that she did not raise me to work on a paltry and small pizza café. It was extremely embarrassing, especially to my manager. I decided to quit and I had an argument with mom when we got home.

Two weeks later, I applied to this art shop. I already told my mom about it so she would stop asking me questions. I was happily working one day when mom suddenly sauntered inside the art shop. Everyone was looking at her curiously because she’s clearly not a very artsy looking individual, not with her skirt suit and pumps which was a plain indication of her status. When I asked her what she was doing there, she said she needed to see for herself if my working place is safe.

It was ridiculous, in my opinion.

My coworkers didn’t say a word, perhaps because they were intimated by her. It was a typical reaction, really. She almost always have a serious expression and a cold demeanor. I think it’s because of her profession, she’s an Oncologist. She deals with people who suffers with cancer, which means she’s the one who gets to tell them if the prognosis of their condition is good or bad.

I just gave up and let mom do her thing to avoid another argument with her. After she did what came to do, and gave my manager some tips on how they can improve the ventilation, she gave me a hug and told me to go home after work. I couldn’t look at my coworkers the rest of that day.

I knew the moment I received a call on a Sunday morning, that I’ll need to go through those jarring moments yet again.

The call was from a specialty shop, saying they received my resume. I was trying to remember when I exactly sent my application to them until the lady on the phone told me that a boy named Do Kyungsoo recommended me. That’s when I recall giving him my resume the other day and asking him if he could recommend me to their associate shops. I gladly accepted their invitation and I was told to come to their shop the next day.

I went to my room and searched the shop online and find out all of the things I could. The shop looked very nice and pleasant. I had the feeling mom would like it. An idea hit me right then.

Mom was in her practice throughout that morning. I used that chance to create a power point presentation about the specialty shop. I included the history, the milestones of the shop and other important details on the presentation along with images. When mom arrived, I directed her towards the living room and presented her my power point. She thought the presentation was not needed, but I knew she enjoyed it.

She purse her lips and looked at me for a brief moment. She finally sighed and nodded her head in agreement. I bounced on my feet and hugged her. I was only glad for a few moment, though, because I still need to tell her that I didn’t apply to any medical schools. I watched her leave the living room and thought how my changed plans would devastate her. She had always wanted me to attend her and dad’s alma mater. She had always wanted me and my sister to be just like them. Doctors. I used to dream of becoming one, but after what I’ve been through, I just realized it’s not what I truly want to do.

Eun Hye was visiting her grandparents, so I spent the rest of my day in my bedroom. I tried being creative but for the past few days, I’ve been having some sort of a funk. No matter how hard I try I couldn’t produce something…sensible. I asked my art teacher for help but she told me that it’s a completely normal experience. She said if I do other things, my creative spark will get back in no time.

After taking a shower before dinner that night, I noticed my red dress sitting across the chair. I rolled my eyes on it as though what happened last night was its fault. I reminded myself that I needed to bring it to the dry cleaning before mom sees it, otherwise, she’ll ask questions about the party. And I didn’t want to discuss what happened last night.

Especially not with her.

I didn’t even know what’s more humiliating: the incident with my classmate or the fact that I just had a chat with the guy I was secretly watching from the window.

“And how are you and Jae Hoon?” Mom asked me during dinner.

“We’re…fine.” I replied tentatively, remembering my last conversation with Jae Hoon before he left. It was barely a conversation, to be honest. Initially, it was a conversation and then it shifted to a little shouting and some dramatic walking away moment. But mom didn’t need to know that.

“I heard he’s in a charity work out of town.” Mom said.

“He is.”

Mom frowned at me. “Why didn’t you go with him?”

I set my glass of orange juice on the table. “I already did two charity works the last four months.” I told her. “I informed the coordinators why I wouldn’t be able to go this time.”

“And why was that again?”

I looked at mom, expecting her to be joking but the look on her face was dead serious. “The short film production.” I said, feeling a little offended because I’ve been gushing about it to her whenever we have a chance to talk. “For the school. I told you about it many times before.”

“Oh, of course.” mom said, suddenly remembering. “I had completely forgotten about that. How’s that going for you?”

“Good.” I lied, turning my gaze on my plate. “We’re having a lot of fun so far.”  I heard mom making agreeing noises. “Mom, I have something to tell you.” I said, hesitantly.

“Hmmm?”

I shifted on my seat nervously, and took a deep breath. “I’ve been meaning to talk to you about this. About the medical school—”

“Of course.” mom interrupted with a huge grin, her eyes twinkling. “I almost forgot to ask you. My colleagues’ children received their acceptance letters already.”

I nodded. “Y-yeah. Some of my classmates had received theirs as well.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter