The Persuasion

Heartlines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Jongin’s not a morning person. I can’t ask too many questions and I can’t pull any jokes on him during the early hours because he’d undoubtedly hate it. Those were the words of my coworkers. They told me these details during my first day at work. I didn’t really know why I didn’t listen to them when they told me these certain information.

On my first day at work, I saw Jongin by the entrance when arrived on Tuesday morning. He was yawning and still looking heavy-eyed. I greeted him and in response, he subtly nodded his head once. Actually, I wasn’t entirely sure if he really did nodded his head. He handed me a paper bag and told me to change into my uniform. So, I went to the changing room at once and put them on—a white button down blouse and black pants. I came out of the room while tying my hair on a ponytail, and saw Jongin waiting in the hall. He beckoned me to follow him with a slight jerk of his head to the side.

Drearily, he gave me a short tour of the shop. I didn’t expect the shop to be that huge or spacious, but it was. It’s very cozy-looking, neat, almost dreamy and the tawny-colored little bulbs around the walls made me feel warm inside.

“How long have you guys been running this shop?” I asked him while we walked down the hall leading to the back part of the shop.

To be honest, I already know the answer to my question. I’ve read all about it on their website when I searched it online. I guess I just wanted to say something or engage him in a conversation because the silence was making me feel queasy.

“My grandparents started the shop roughly 30 years ago.” Jongin replied slowly with his hands on his pockets. “My grandma loves to collect antique-looking items since she was young. She also likes making stuffed toys from fabric straps and she would make figurines and other desk items and decorate them herself…”

I sneaked a glance at him as he speak. He looked awfully drowsy and his voice had no life at all.

“Then, my grandpa thought her hobby could be turned into something more.” he continued in the same tone of voice, squinting his eyes occasionally. “Soon, they decided to open their own business. They started small at first. Overtime, they managed to grow it.”

Jongin opened a door and then he led me to a cobbled pathway. We walked a few distance in silence and I took that advantage to take in my surroundings. It was the part which was not included on the website. The place was huge, almost like a compound, I realized. There were trees around and little shrubbery everywhere. We even walked past a small lake with a wooden bridge. It didn’t feel like we were in the city at all.

“This place is so nice.” I said astonishingly. Jongin merely bobbed his head.

“My grandfather was a carpenter.” he stated after a few minutes. He gestured towards a shed, the workshop, I assumed. I could hear distant hammering and buzzing sounds from the inside as we made our way towards it. “He started making wooden plaques, small tables, small cabinets and cupboards.” Jongin swung open the door of the shed and let me in.

There were four long tables in the room and two men working on what seemed like an armrest of a chair. Different tools lined the walls, there were tons of them and the only thing I could name was the hammer and screws, and then the finished products were placed across the room in order.

“Eventually, his customers started to ask for something bigger.” Jongin continued while nodding his head towards one of the two men working inside. “Like book shelves, study tables and such.”

“Do you know how to make one of those?” I asked him, pointing to one of the nearly done antique looking tables.

“Yeah.” Jongin said casually. “Although I prefer making wooden plaques and small boxes and cupboards.”

I nodded my head again. I asked him some questions about the shop, such as the work routine and such and he answered them although, rather blandly. I remembered what my coworkers just said when I picked up some hints of him starting to get a little annoyed. So I abruptly stopped mid-sentence of my twelfth or thirteenth question.

We went outside and as we were heading back to the shop, I noticed the cobbled stoned pathway broke into an intersection. My eyes trailed to the right side of the pathway and I saw a line of red bricked wall and a soft wooden gate not too far ahead.

“What’s over there?” I asked before I could stop myself.

Jongin looked over to where I was pointing. “Our house.” he stated vapidly.

“Your house.” I said slowly, frowning a little. Jongin continued to walk back to the shop. I hurriedly followed him. “So, you live by yourself, then?”

“What?”

I glanced at him sideways. “At the apartment. I just thought because, you know, at the apartment you were there…” I trailed rather awkwardly.

Jongin suddenly stopped walking and turned to look at me. “Well, if you must know everything,” he drawled, “My sister owned that apartment.” he told me brusquely. I was positive he’s finally awake now because his voice seemed more clear and he doesn’t squint his eyes anymore.

“Right.” I mumbled and pressing my lips guiltily. He looked at me quite irritatingly. With swift and long strides, he walked past me and went inside the shop.

“He’s definitely not a morning person.” I grumbled and walked back inside the shop by myself.

I didn’t see him the entire morning after that. Or during lunch. Until I got off work. He’s probably avoiding me, or he’s angry with me.

I picked up some things about him throughout the day. According to my coworkers, Jongin’s usually in the workshop and he doesn’t eat lunch with them. He would sometimes hang inside when his sister asked him to. Aside from being reserved, doesn’t socialize a lot and occasionally temperamental, I found out that he had already graduated in high school. He started working at the shop shortly after he graduated. Although some of them thought he’s better off attending college.

While they were talking about Jongin, I had the impression that they were avoiding some topic. They would nudge each other and exchange meaningful look. I didn’t pressed them about it because I was already nosy enough for a day and I managed to annoy one of my boss.

The next morning at work, I was arranging some items on a table when I bumped into Jongin. I offered him a tentative smile. As usual, he merely nodded his head and asked me to give the package he received for his sister. I complied and I thought maybe he’s not pissed with me anymore.

After lunch, I was surprised to see Eun Hye at the shop. She waved at me merrily and told me she was there to speak to Jongin. She quickly launched her story on how Kyungsoo told her about Jongin’s experience in acting on school productions when they were still in high school. Hence, she came up with the same idea I had a few days ago: asking Jongin to become our male lead.

I was going to ask her some questions but I’m on the clock, so I just told her where she could find him. With a hopeful smile, Eun Hye set off towards the workshop. A couple of minutes later, I finished wrapping a customer’s purchase by the counter when Eun Hye came back. The promising smile on her face was missing. Jongin declined her.

“You have to convince him, Su Ji.” Eun Hye told me as she stood behind the counter.

“What? Why me?”

“Kyungsoo said Jongin’s one of the best performers in their drama club.” Eun Hye said. “I have a feeling he isn’t just bragging his best friend.”

I had the same opinion as her, considering the way he dances in that apartment. But I don’t think I’d be able to talk to him, not after I annoyed him yesterday. I’ll wager he’d decline me at once.

“Can’t we just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter